Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Technowolf posted:

I wonder what the deal is with that two-handed weapon we saw a second or two of.

They mentioned Talion gets a spear when he's mounted, but apparently it can also be used on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deakul posted:

New IGN gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQRiVwYQvEk

Honestly looks really rough around the edges, must be a really early alpha build.

they have said a few times they are using alpha stuff because they want to focus on making the game and keeping stuff surprising.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I do wonder where the story can really go in this game. We can't actually conquer Mordor and Gondor before the events of lotr even happen.

They should go the Force Unleashed route and basically just push hard an alternate canon. The first game sort of felt lame about having you face off against Sauron knowing you can't win, so this time around they should do the opposite. Have you destroy Sauron, take his ring for yourself, and the third and final game is a retelling of Return of the King, with the player as the villain.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

I haven't watched it yet, and will confirm when I do, but they've said that while Talion won't be getting weapon options (still dagger/sword/ghost bow), Celebrimbor will have various spirit weapon options, including his forging hammer, a spear and at least one other, possibly more.

That's what that is, yeah. Also I noticed that the wraith sprint is now triggerable when you mantle a ledge, which is a good addition.

Oh also, forgot to mention when I combed through the stream, they said at the end of it that this week it'll be on Thursday instead and they'll actually be able to start talking about things. You should probably just wait for me to watch it for you, because I doubt they'll spill all the beans, but there it is.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lots of rad new things there and lots of rough edges still.

Talion isn't actually allowed any closer to Gondor than the Black Gate isn't he? On account of murdering that noble. Wonder if that's gonna be a minor plot point, like Talion trying to warn against early Mordor aggression, but the nobles telling him to suck a fat one.

edit: oh that was open world? (they said at the end) it looked like a very scripted mission at first.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That smelled like tutorial mission from the VO talking about stuff SoM players would know, but de Plater has said some stuff along the lines of Minas Ithil being a fairly big chunk of the early game, and it's possible that Minas ithil becomes a standard fortress once the opening tutorializing and attempt to rally Gondor is done.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Didn't Minas Ithil fall about a thousand years before this is supposed to be happening? Like, before Gollum even finds the ring level of long ago?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Who cares?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lol, i tried to wiki it, but it's horribly convoluted. As far as i can tell Minas Ithil fell multiple times, the last time being in 2002 of the Third Age. Frodo leaves the Shire with the ring in 3001 of the Third age. It might all be a flashback to one of Celebrimbors memories? As Minas Ithil apparently becomes Minas Morgul and we know that TOO is a large part of the game.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Orv posted:

Who cares?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean tbh it's probably not going to be time travel, so it might well be a different sort of Minas. Personally I don't care all that much, but it'd be nice to get a timeline because I am a massive nerd.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Even rough, neat things abound. One, the whole domination animation seems much quicker. (Less chance of getting smacked out of it hopefully) Another is that you can use wraith speed whenever you want. (Tied to a stamina bar, apparently. But that's acceptable.)

Lessee... actual human allies and captains, neat. Much bigger areas and maps. Love it.

I'm happy so far.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I stopped giving a poo poo about timelines with this series a long time ago, just enjoy the new adventures in Middle Earth and make friends with orcs!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another thing I've noticed is that they downgraded weaknesses a little. They're no longer instant kills, but instead just "daze" and possibly do a some extra damage. Personally I'd say that's a good change. While it was fun to just immediately murder a guy by shooting him in the face the first few times, in the long run it became somewhat anticlimactic. I remember several times where I encountered a yet unknown captain, looked forward towards a nice fight and maybe a brand, only to accidentally cut his head off when he turned out to be weak to combat finishers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Perestroika posted:

Another thing I've noticed is that they downgraded weaknesses a little. They're no longer instant kills, but instead just "daze" and possibly do a some extra damage. Personally I'd say that's a good change. While it was fun to just immediately murder a guy by shooting him in the face the first few times, in the long run it became somewhat anticlimactic. I remember several times where I encountered a yet unknown captain, looked forward towards a nice fight and maybe a brand, only to accidentally cut his head off when he turned out to be weak to combat finishers.

I always hate when I encounter an ORK that looks cool and I want to make him mine, and then I instant kill when I ambush him

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I always hate when I encounter an ORK that looks cool and I want to make him mine, and then I instant kill when I ambush him

I liked making mine look cool by wraith burning them. It was always a shame when that ended up just branding the buggers.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I like that change too. It was fun for a while to go "HAHHAAAAA I KNOW YOUR SECRETS" as i had a karagor eat MURDUUK THE WHITE or whatever, but i would rather have a real fight.

Edit: I hope there are less "i win" tactics too this time around, like Wraith Stun spam and hit captain 5 times, ground stab, unlock finishers combo, use finisher, repeat.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 11, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I wouldn't mind if full-on weaknesses still existed. I always found it hilarious when I'd sneak attack and orc and, whoops, captain.

But, I also like the existence of an intermediary step. lovely captains could grow out of their weaknesses over time. High level ones wouldn't start with any.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone hoping to jump onto the Shadow of Mordor bandwaggon before this drops, the GOTY edition is available on the PSN store for about fifteen bucks. Given how a lot of my retailers are still selling it for over twice that, it's a good bargain.

Replaying it reminded me that they did a surprisingly good job humanizing Talion in the opening chapter through the flashbacks to his wife and son. It's not perfect, but the actors do pretty good work with the script and make it at least a little sad that they die.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Using your son's broken sword to slit orc throats was a great bit of characterization and I was sad when it turned into Big C's Fairy Elven Butterknife

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Using your son's broken sword to slit orc throats was a great bit of characterization and I was sad when it turned into Big C's Fairy Elven Butterknife

Looks like it's back to the broken sword, or you can at least change that with costumes/gear options.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Technowolf posted:

Looks like it's back to the broken sword, or you can at least change that with costumes/gear options.

This is a good change. Also I only heard about this game a couple of days ago but having played the crap out of the first one as Orc Pokemon Simulator I am mega stoked.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

GoneRampant posted:

For anyone hoping to jump onto the Shadow of Mordor bandwaggon before this drops, the GOTY edition is available on the PSN store for about fifteen bucks. Given how a lot of my retailers are still selling it for over twice that, it's a good bargain.

Replaying it reminded me that they did a surprisingly good job humanizing Talion in the opening chapter through the flashbacks to his wife and son. It's not perfect, but the actors do pretty good work with the script and make it at least a little sad that they die.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-bundle

it's 5 dollars at bundle stars for the PC version, with all of the DLC. Legit worth a romp!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I also assumed that the bit of cloth wrapped around the scabbard* was a scrap of his wife's bloodstained dress. Maybe one of the new stealth kills is garroting someone with it?

*in the ugly-rear end default costume, anyway, which I used for all of about three seconds before turning on the Dark Ranger duds

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ninjahedgehog posted:

*in the ugly-rear end default costume, anyway, which I used for all of about three seconds before turning on the Dark Ranger duds

Did you get captains returning from the dead with this skin on? Earlier ITT and the original SoM thread for that matter i lamented about never seeing captains come back from the dead, and i ALWAYS played with that skin on. Then when i went back to the default skin on my like 100hours+ 100% save that has never seen someone come back from the dead (i think) they started coming back like mad for a while.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Just started playing Mordor again, this time on pc.

Was having a good time when THIS HAPPENED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tHJKXbzVjw

Needless to say it didnt go well.... So i decided to get revenge.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NidNotSBWH4

This is why i cant wait for the sequel. God drat such a good game. Even thinking of preordering the whole package, just cause i loved the first game so much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
4:40, sick ghost double jump/dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJi8a69-zs

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Also "summon spider" at about 2.00 minutes in. That probably means arachnaphobes are going to hate this game.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I guess they are skipping about 1000 years then in favor of making a more fluid story re: Minas Ithils --> Minas Morgul and the folly of man. I'm okay with that, it sounds like a cool story to tell.

Man, i hope they nail this game. I just want deeper Nemesis system and a much bigger and vibrant world and i will be happy.

edit: i also want Talions sprinting animation to not look like he shat himself like it does in these pre-launch vids

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 12, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dongattack posted:

I guess they are skipping about 1000 years then in favor of making a more fluid story re: Minas Ithils --> Minas Morgul and the folly of man. I'm okay with that, it sounds like a cool story to tell.

Man, i hope they nail this game. I just want deeper Nemesis system and a much bigger and vibrant world and i will be happy.

edit: i also want Talions sprinting animation to not look like he shat himself like it does in these pre-launch vids

Same. The graphics can be whatever. But I want that by the end of the current gen the nemesis system gets as popular as open world designs got by the end of the ps2 era.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gameplay? :pray:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Be sure to let us know if there's anything interesting in that stream, I keep trying to watch their streams but they end up being super boring and dry to the point I can't stand it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I will. At some point I became inured to the horrible fake attitude of streaming personalities so it's whatever now. I just crave that sweet sweet info.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
My guess is that they will walk through the two new trailers like they did with the last one, but drat, would be nice with some gameplay.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dongattack posted:

My guess is that they will walk through the two new trailers like they did with the last one, but drat, would be nice with some gameplay.

Straight from a notepad;

Summon Spiders: Yes
Story missions have randomized nemesiseseseses, which can exist in the sandbox after story missions if they cheat death/escape
One-shot kills/routs still exist on named orcs, Dazed By is a action game style boss stun during which you can get in damage before they recover
Named orcs now go to level 60

Minas Ithil arena:
Every game area has an arena, orc 'legal system', fight to the death
Can send your own orcs into the arenas to infiltrate other command structures
Your own orcs can fight in the arena to play Pokemans
You can fight in the arena yourself, interrupt and kill/dominate one or both, but there are some non-interferable situations

Mystic Tank:
Tank; high HP, brute force rather than a trickster, second wind style ability sort of like Talion's cheat death
Mystic; Cursed weapons, various spellcasting abilities, teleport, attack spells

Siege Graugs:
Dominatable, can bring your own to fortresses assaults, different ammo types (napalm, poison, couple others)
Named orc traits can buff siege weapons

AC2 style, more orcs can follow you around in free run environments

Bring up to 4 warchiefs for fortress assaults, various traits and soldiers to choose from to bring, 18 choices total with 4 warchiefs (if I understood that correctly)

Fortress Destructability:
Gates, towers, wall sections, monuments, cages and siege weapons

Allies:
Story mission human characters will show up in open world
Side missions have full stories and character arcs, cinematics
Summon Gondorian soldiers in open world
Minas Ithil warchief tree will be Nazgul later in the game, rather than humans in the intro
No human branding, there are some exceptions including DOMINATING NAZGUL
Humans can join fortress assaults as a trait choice
Can humans betray you "No comment"
Can't assign humans into the nemesis syestem

Knock-off Palantir are the new checkpoint towers

Barrows:
Stuff to do;
-More Celebrimbor flashbacks, this time as playable sequences a la Bright Lord DLC, gives a legendary Celebrimbor armor set
-Ithildin puzzles a la Assassin's Creed crest/puzzle rooms that give an armor set for full completion
Riddles and poems generally
- Unlock throwing version of Celebrimbor's crafting hammer, higher damage, lower range and speed, "Middle Earth Rocket Launcher"
One barrows area for each open world area

Miscellany questions:
Legendary orcs - brand or kill for legendary loot
Fortress assaults are pretty much your own deal, your troops do their own thing, not Mount and Blade/Total War
Many more orc weapons
Each region has a seperate army, but you can transfer orcs between region to some extent
Regions are different difficulty levels, you see higher level and more challenging orcs the deeper into Mordor you get
Undead of some kind confirmed (question was specifically regarding Barrow Wights, "we have undead" was the dodge)
No swimming
Orc executions: Tribal, class, weapon type, weapon element, species, traits each have different types
Orcs: bombs, various arrow types, traps
Death threat changes/additions: Death threats become missions a la Warchief draw outs in SoM and death threats increase loot rarity chance
Bodyguards: Just one bodyguard at a time, on a cool down, gang or mount traits apply to bodyguard summons

IGN will have more SoW videos all month.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 13, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This sounds far too loving good to be true, but so did the last game, and actually stepping back it sounds like the Assassins Creed 1 -> 2 jump. That potential jump in quality couldn't happen from a better base.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo, this really does sound way too good to be true. :gizz:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hooooly gently caress.

This news has made me feel a bit better after a rather lovely day.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
unless the game is riddled with bugs or has other massive technical issues it's probably gonna be very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

If the game lives up to even half of what has been promised it'll be a GOTY contender for me.

• Locked thread