Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Two AliExpress things came today! A cool flag I had custom made that ended up being pretty good, if a little more grey/brown/purple where it should be black, and a PS4 skin which I realized is for the PS4 Original, my bad! Looks great otherwise I'm gonna flip it on ebay for 3x the money then order another one

Congrats on your asexuality flag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pneumatic order came. Couple hundred bucks but would've been thousands with a domestic supplier. We'll see how well this works, not rocket science, should be fun for prototyping.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Congrats on your asexuality flag!

Close!

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
My knock-off Copic markers came in today!! It was incredibly fast - under two weeks. Came in a zippered marker bag. They're shaped more like the Copic sketch markers, but still have a broad and a fine point. The outsides are kinda dirty and a few have some leftover plastic from the mold, but fine. The biggest thing I see so far is it looks like the caps don't fit on all the way. There's a tiny mm gap between the cap and the marker. It's probably fine, as none of the markers I've tried so far have come dry or dead. They still blend really well and the colors have been rich. I'm going to grab a real copic marker to really give it a good comparison - probably a red. They're really good so far, but I'm just curious to see how well they stack against the Real Deal (besides being a tiny fraction of the price).

Edit: The photo is a little more bright than the real deal. For example the marigold is a little more burnt, in the photo is more bright orange. This all depends on your monitor, of course.

Sanguinary Novel fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 10, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In my experience, the Chinese markers are fine for flats but have a lot of trouble with good blending. I also have most of the Copic colors, so since I just refill them I might as well keep with their system. They need some new colors though, last release of new colors was 2014 or some poo poo?

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I'm surprised they don't release more colors. That's how Pantone keeps up with their color racket and forcing you to buy color books more often.

The refills for the Copics aren't that bad, but it's just a huge initial investment. Maybe if I use the markers enough I'll go for it, but for now the cheap knock-offs are nice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I've been collecting Copics since highschool, so over that time the investment hasn't been so bad, but jeeeeesus the idea of buying them all upfront. The only thing worse is decent oil paints.

Upfront I think it'd be like $2,500? I guess I've seen worse, a 37 ml thing of Old Holland Cerulean Blue is $112 list.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What are these markers even used for in tyool 2017?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

shovelbum posted:

Hypertext markup

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

Lots of traditional media folk like them, and they're great for concept art. Sometimes cover art too, Adam Hughes uses Copics, for example:

Copics are really impressive, they're dream art tools really if you're a traditional media person.

Also, a lot of tattoo artists use them for planning tats, and architects/planners use them for designs.

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 10, 2017

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I also ordered some clothing, which has come in today and last week. It's been a mixed bag, mostly my fault. The shirts I ordered came in waaaaaaaay too small, and I didn't properly read the sizing, so that's my fault. All of them were pretty drat thin, but then again each of them were $6. I'm on the fence about ordering more clothing, as even though it's cheaper, that poo poo is going to wear down so fast.

The most successful clothing related thing I ordered were the leggings! So far this: http://tinyurl.com/m2u8593 and the cat ones: http://tinyurl.com/m5tzdf9 have arrived. A lot of the leggings on there are Black Milk knock-offs, and they aren't too bad. A little thin, and the colors not nearly as vivid as the image - the blacks are more like a deep purpleish. Not opaque enough for a "leggings as pants" situation, but not transparent either.

I also ordered a "Who Ate My Bread" shirt for a friend, just for funsies :3:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

meatpotato posted:

I just received mine, it was about $7 and was recognized immediately by Saleae's Logic application.

I tested with "Hello, world" over 3.3V UART at 57600 baud and it works :)

The official 8-channel one is $220. I feel kind of guilty.

This is sweet, ordered one & my AvE ruler came in this week :cool:
Glad to see the oval office hair measurements are in imperial & metric

Also I guess this belongs here:

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 11, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

shovelbum posted:

Pneumatic order came. Couple hundred bucks but would've been thousands with a domestic supplier. We'll see how well this works, not rocket science, should be fun for prototyping.

What's project #1??

e: Distant tangent, but I was reading about railguns & flywheels today. I remember building a small coilgun in grade school, but now that I'm older & bigger it's time for a bigger & more dangerous project :getin:

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 11, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

spog posted:

I know little about weed: can you grow the stuff just as well on LEDs as you can on those incandescent lights that draw so much electricity?

I have thread about this topic here.

Also

Stretch Marx posted:

If you have any interest in indoor growing for weed or food or whatever you can get various LED grow lamps super cheap. This one is a 300 watt that I have used to grow bell and chili peppers and currently it's growing medical marijuana. If you go to alibaba.com you can get them in bulk as well.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

myDad posted:

What's project #1??

It's time.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

My pen/screwdriver/ruler/spirit level thingy just came today!

Love it and for $0.88 i am going to get a few more for gifts.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spirit level eh? So how does it measure your bac do you blow in it or

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Spirit level eh? So how does it measure your bac do you blow in it or

No, but it tells you when there are ghosts like a P.K.E. meter.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
No, it measures how enthusiastic you are. Kind of like a mood ring.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wear an American size L, maybe XL depending on size and just got a Chinese size XXXL t shirt that fits like an L now, I'm afraid it'll be M after it's washed.

At least the shirt is cool, it's a Black Sabbath design in yellow print on a bright blue shirt. I like the silly color combos they've got on aliexpress.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
If it doesn't fit you send it to me pls

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

twoday posted:

They used to use similar coins in roman brothels. You would buy one at the counter up front and then go give it to the girl or boy you liked, and then do the thing depicted on the coin.

"I came here to get hosed in the rear end by a huge Nubian and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubblegum-chewing tokens."

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A seller left me some feedback

:ohdear:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I got my tuning pedal today! It only took like 10 days, and it seems to work pretty ok, considering it was super cheap.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Four orders received yesterday, and another wound up in Massachusetts instead of Washington. Seller is shipping me a replacement at no cost and I don't need the items right away, so I don't really care. Such is AliExpress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

myDad posted:

This is sweet, ordered one & my AvE ruler came in this week :cool:
Glad to see the oval office hair measurements are in imperial & metric

Also I guess this belongs here:

Where's the t-shirt with this printed on it?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I got all my orders, but I only took pics of the stickers I got

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

So, you still need 100s of Ws per plant, even with LEDs? Interesting.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

spog posted:

So, you still need 100s of Ws per plant, even with LEDs? Interesting.

Honestly, in the end, E=mc^2. Oxidizing and carbolyzing and other processes need energy.

LEDs just give you a more efficient electricity to light conversion. The light is still needed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Honestly, in the end, E=mc^2. Oxidizing and carbolyzing and other processes need energy.

LEDs just give you a more efficient electricity to light conversion. The light is still needed.

wattage is measuring consumed electricity, not light output, and LEDs produce somewhere in the ballpark of 10x the light for each watt relative to incandescents. there's 120w "equivalent" bulbs appropriate to replace the Home Depot floodlight in your closet and actually 120W replacements for the massive Cheech and Chong high pressure sodium rig with the heat signature that can be seen from orbit

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 11, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So LEDs don't help to grow organic artisinal wardrobe skunk at 20W? Shame. What amount of wattage would I need for kitchen herbs like basil, cilantro and parsley?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

wattage is measuring consumed electricity, not light output, and LEDs produce somewhere in the ballpark of 10x the light for each watt relative to incandescents. there's 120w "equivalent" bulbs appropriate to replace the Home Depot floodlight in your closet and actually 120W replacements for the massive Cheech and Chong high pressure sodium rig with the heat signature that can be seen from orbit

Yeah, so you go from 2.2kW to 220W; it's still hundreds of watts of power consumption from the grid.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I don't see how we disagree? :nallears:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

They also have the trick of targeting the light spectrum for ideal plant growth. (more blue/red) https://californialightworks.com/light-spectrum-and-plant-growth/ Explains it better than I would but it's the reason so many led grow lamps have a pinkish/purplish hue.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sanguinary Novel posted:

The most successful clothing related thing I ordered were the leggings! So far this: http://tinyurl.com/m2u8593 and the cat ones: http://tinyurl.com/m5tzdf9 have arrived. A lot of the leggings on there are Black Milk knock-offs, and they aren't too bad. A little thin, and the colors not nearly as vivid as the image - the blacks are more like a deep purpleish. Not opaque enough for a "leggings as pants" situation, but not transparent either.

I'm not sure how I feel about ordering leggings from Silent Hill.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Leggings-NJR02/32663127424.html

This woman has no calves.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...2737169536.html

This woman has too many.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like the dual peglegs

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I also ordered some clothing, which has come in today and last week. It's been a mixed bag, mostly my fault. The shirts I ordered came in waaaaaaaay too small, and I didn't properly read the sizing, so that's my fault. All of them were pretty drat thin, but then again each of them were $6. I'm on the fence about ordering more clothing, as even though it's cheaper, that poo poo is going to wear down so fast.

I also ordered a "Who Ate My Bread" shirt for a friend, just for funsies :3:

Most of the leggings on AE are knockoffs. That first pair is a knockoff of Killstar's "Wicked" leggings. Killstar also makes the second most knocked-off pair of leggings, after BM mermaids: those leggings with the Egyptian cat goddess Bast(et) on the legs.

I'm pretty sure I saw the unicorn ones somewhere else, too, but I can't remember where.

If they'd make them just a little bit better quality, I'd consider buying them. But I need my leggings to be mostly opaque. And not so unbreathable that they might cause yeast infections.

ravenkult posted:

I got all my orders, but I only took pics of the stickers I got

Those are pretty cool. And seem to be well printed. Listing?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...2737169536.html

This woman has too many.

lol these pictures are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I'm spoiled for choice on shower curtains!!

This suits my archaeology/reindeer needs

"Waterproof in a way"

BathTube

Camouflage your shower as a barn

James Bond gonna assassinate my soggy rear end

Bomrek fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 12, 2017