Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Welcome to the xander zone! *drills*
Doc: I live for this poo poo!

I live my life a quarter molar at a time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It actually looks like a fun movie which the other two definitely weren't. Why the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' colouring though??

Film is a visual medium. The more colours, the better the visuals.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The only thing that exists is you.

You've gone and done it now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how much sense BvS's WHO'S MARTHA scene would make without the audio.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Talkies use sound and visuals. Citizen Kane Works equally well in its visuals and as a radio play.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how much sense BvS's WHO'S MARTHA scene would make without the audio.

It probably works even better without the dialogue. Batman has him at his mercy, Superman desperately whispers something, Batman stumbles back shocked, looking at himself and flashing back to the murder of his parents.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

parallelodad posted:

It probably works even better without the dialogue. Batman has him at his mercy, Superman desperately whispers something, Batman stumbles back shocked, looking at himself and flashing back to the murder of his parents.

Is there a flashback? I couldn't recall. That'd help it then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah he flashes back to his dad dying on the ground saying "Martha".

So many people say he spares Superman because their mom had the same name, when it's pretty obvious in context is because he repeats his dad's dying words and Batman realizes what he was about to do.

But uh, film is not just a visual medium anymore. It's a visual and audio medium. Film needs to work equally as well in either format, it has to work well as a combination. Sometimes that can be greater than the sum of its parts. If it's less than the sum of its parts, you have a problem. Even something like My Dinner with Andre which is relatively static, the visual component of these people sitting in one spot and getting this intense conversation and not moving over a long period of time builds a lot more tension than if you were just hearing it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

parallelodad posted:

But uh, film is not just a visual medium anymore. It's a visual and audio medium.

Incorrect. It is now a visual, audio, and haptic medium. So much information and meaning is lost if my seat isn't shaking and gyrating to match the action on screen.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In any case, I think we can all agree that if your film doesn't look better in grayscale, you have made a bad film. :colbert:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

Incorrect. It is now a visual, audio, and haptic medium. So much information and meaning is lost if my seat isn't shaking and gyrating to match the action on screen.

D-Box is mandatory.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

21 Muns posted:

In any case, I think we can all agree that if your film doesn't look better in grayscale, you have made a bad film. :colbert:

Eh, it's nice when it works, but filming in black and white was an artform unto itself. Slapping a grayscale filter and calling it a day just doesn't cut it. Sets and wardrobes had to be filmed with black and white in mind.

I remember years ago when Monk was still on the air, they did an episode where they aired it in black and white and then in color and the black and white version was pretty dull. The color version looked much better.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eh, it's nice when it works, but filming in black and white was an artform unto itself. Slapping a grayscale filter and calling it a day just doesn't cut it. Sets and wardrobes had to be filmed with black and white in mind.

A good example of this is the old Addams Family show. To make everything look grey and foreboding the sets were painted bright pink and red because those colours looked oppressive and dark in black and white.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Phylodox posted:

A good example of this is the old Addams Family show. To make everything look grey and foreboding the sets were painted bright pink and red because those colours looked oppressive and dark in black and white.

Please tell me there are pictures of this.

EDIT: Found 'em. Sorry about the useless post.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember years ago when Monk was still on the air, they did an episode where they aired it in black and white and then in color and the black and white version was pretty dull. The color version looked much better.

Which always makes that anecdote about Kubrick's want of the right shade of green for Dr. Strangelove especially grating.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Please tell me there are pictures of this.

EDIT: Found 'em. Sorry about the useless post.

Could at least share the beauty.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's been almost a decade, we gotta come to terms with how bland Marvel's films look.

to bring this all full circle, do i have to come to terms with how bland they sound???

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

to bring this all full circle, do i have to come to terms with how bland they sound???

Marvel has two moves when it comes to sound: Music so forgettable that it may be stealing your memories, or popular songs. Take your pick.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

guardians of the galaxy is the only comic book movie of this mcu vs dc kerfuffle that i've thought was actually good so i'll pick option two.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Guardians sucks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah. and even if i agreed (my brain functions so i wouldnt) that just means all comic book movies are even worse.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Guardians sucks.

I love this subforum.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I feel like there's a metaphor for the Addams Family themselves in there somewhere.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is a good example of just making finding b&w without putting any care into it. It's a really ugly film.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Supersonic Shine posted:

I feel like there's a metaphor for the Addams Family themselves in there somewhere.

They're the most loving, supportive, and understanding family in television history.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

D-Box is mandatory.

None of my theatres have D-Box so I just jam a dildo up my rear end and flip the switch when the action starts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

marshmallow creep posted:

None of my theatres have D-Box so I just jam a dildo up my rear end and flip the switch when the action starts.

Every time I even see the name of it I start laughing. I cannot believe it's a real thing. It sounds like a Cinco product.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

D-Box: Why settle for half-rear end entertainment when we can entertain your whole rear end?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

D-Box making you nauseous? Feel free to vomit in the provided D-Bag.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
3D is moderately successful so I guess it was a matter of time before someone went way overboard.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Guardians sucks.

Eh, I didn't enjoy it (and I'm skipping the second, lol if you want to sit through "We're gonna have to learn to be a team" again), but it's pretty easy to see why people liked it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I mean, I definitely get it, to be sure. It's bright and flashy and quasi-weird but not so weird that it makes people uncomfortable, it's a very friendly movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

D-Box: You'll be on the edge of your seat! And then you'll be launched out of it!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, I definitely get it, to be sure. It's bright and flashy and quasi-weird but not so weird that it makes people uncomfortable, it's a very friendly movie.

It's no Slither.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Ironically Zach Snyder's films are nearly incomprehensible without sound, especially Suckerpunch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Ironically Zach Snyder's films are nearly incomprehensible without sound, especially Suckerpunch.

"Why does the movie keep cutting to these weird scenes when the girl starts dancing?" asks a complete idiot.

The first 5 minutes of the film are basically a perfect little visual story and the rest, while not being THAT good, works well...I just think you're trying to be provocative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gl2I5exFfM

Here's the intro right here, you can watch it with the sound off and judge for yourself if it's "nearly incomprehensible"

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This, of course, is why plays and musicals are a lesser form.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This, of course, is why plays and musicals are a lesser form.

Well I mean you can get the basic gist without all that music poo poo clouding it up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is a good example of just making finding b&w without putting any care into it. It's a really ugly film.

Ha, I never saw it, but I figured it would be exactly the case when I heard he filmed it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean you can get the basic gist without all that music poo poo clouding it up.

It used to be considered gauche to say you were going to "see" a play, because only numbskull poors "saw" plays, the Elite "heard" plays, and had no time in their big, well-fed brains for the illiterate dumbshow that played before each act to tell the stupid idiot moron lower classes who spent most of the play jawing on peanuts what was going to happen because they wouldn't be able to comprehend the lofty writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's no Slither.

Hell, what is? How many films make you sympathetic for the world destroying hive mind creature?

• Locked thread