Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

He thinks it doesn't need to be repaired?

Whoosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

He thinks it doesn't need to be repaired?

Pssst he's talking about the cat

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Doesn't seem right to just keep choosing contractors until you get one that agrees with you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tomorrow's update:

bEatmstrJ posted:

Apparently my cat got stuck far into the floor cavity of my bathroom, I had to remove a load-bearing wall and a few more joists to get him out, but it was the only way to accomplish what I wanted to do. Success!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FogHelmut posted:

Doesn't seem right to just keep choosing contractors until you get one that agrees with you.

Said no one ever.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FogHelmut posted:

choose the contractor that purrs the loudest

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Those first two points sound like commercial rather than residential requirements. You might want to call your city and ask them. I know in California you can't sell a light without an LED bulb in it (this is why you can't order lamps off target.com for example.) You said you're in LA, do mean city proper or county? Also will you sell tickets to go lay in repose precariously across the cut beams?

Im in Riverside county like BeatmasterJ and any outdoor lighting must have a motion sensor, must be dusk-to-dawn and also must have LED lights. Even if they're on a switch. We went through 3 different fixtures before they approved our patio cover, our neighbors just went through the same issue.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

To be fair, when you sample a bunch of contractors you almost always want to throw out the lowest and the highest bid, or in this case, the easiest and the hardest.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

FogHelmut posted:

You ever get a cat to agree with you? Witchcraft!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bad Munki posted:

Tomorrow's update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wco2uE6vyQ

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Im in Riverside county like BeatmasterJ and any outdoor lighting must have a motion sensor, must be dusk-to-dawn and also must have LED lights. Even if they're on a switch. We went through 3 different fixtures before they approved our patio cover, our neighbors just went through the same issue.

Outdoor surprises me less. Indoor motion sensors on bathroom lights would drive me mad unless the off-delay is super high and they didn't turn on until you flipped the switch again.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

I met with another contractor today. He did a very thorough inspection and said everything looks good as is. He recommended leaving the subfloor off. He appears to be licensed judging by those credentials around his neck and he had very reasonable rates.

So was this contractor also coming in at a lower rate? Dead birds aren't currency in some other parts.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 12, 2017

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Tomorrow's update:

I got a ball python stuck in a wall one time. Lured her out with a frozen/thawed rat. Would probably work on a cat too, for future reference.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Is this a county thing? Or a state thing? I'm in Orange County, replacing the outdoor lights is on my list of things to do in the next few years.

gently caress this Title 24 poo poo is hosed up.

http://cltc.ucdavis.edu/sites/default/files/files/publication/2016_T24_Res_Changes_Jun2016_Update.pdf

You need a motion sensor on at least one light in baths, laundry, and garage. Why?

Certain light fixtures are illegal to install if you can screw an incandescent bulb into it. Holy poo poo. I've already put LED bulbs in mostly everything, but I'm paying for the drat electricity, why don't they just institute kilowatt caps?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 12, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Outdoor surprises me less. Indoor motion sensors on bathroom lights would drive me mad unless the off-delay is super high and they didn't turn on until you flipped the switch again.

Bathroom\Laundry\Garages must have vacancy sensors now as of this year in CA

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bad news. Contractor came back and said they found catnip insulation in the walls.

Gonna have to vacate the place for a week while they call in a 'Nip-Abatement crew.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Bad news. Contractor came back and said they found catnip insulation in the walls.

Gonna have to vacate the place for a week while they call in a 'Nip-Abatement crew.

Wow racist much? mods

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Is this a county thing? Or a state thing? I'm in Orange County, replacing the outdoor lights is on my list of things to do in the next few years.

gently caress this Title 24 poo poo is hosed up.

http://cltc.ucdavis.edu/sites/default/files/files/publication/2016_T24_Res_Changes_Jun2016_Update.pdf

You need a motion sensor on at least one light in baths, laundry, and garage. Why?

Certain light fixtures are illegal to install if you can screw an incandescent bulb into it. Holy poo poo. I've already put LED bulbs in mostly everything, but I'm paying for the drat electricity, why don't they just institute kilowatt caps?

Because that would effect rich people more than poor people. Duh.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

How much current does a vacancy sensor/motion detector draw? Rather than have the switches off, now everyone has to draw some current. This is a net positive?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zahgaegun posted:

How much current does a vacancy sensor/motion detector draw? Rather than have the switches off, now everyone has to draw some current. This is a net positive?

5 years on a lithium coin cell battery is typical.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

5 years on a lithium coin cell battery is typical.

Do I look like I'm made of lithium coins????!!??

Wow - that's pretty good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Interesting. Thanks! Does this just control the light going off or must it also switch it on as well? Because if it must switch the light on a 1w LED is going in my bathroom with a vacancy sensor.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

H110Hawk posted:

Interesting. Thanks! Does this just control the light going off or must it also switch it on as well? Because if it must switch the light on a 1w LED is going in my bathroom with a vacancy sensor.

I believe most of them automatically turn on when you enter, then turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. Usually right when you're in the middle of taking a poo poo and you haven't moved for 5 minutes, but you're too far away to trigger the sensor again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's occupancy sensors and vacancy sensors. Occupancy sensors are also referred to as motion sensors. They will turn the light on when you enter a room and turn it off when no motion is detected in X minutes.

Vacancy sensors do not turn on the lights automatically. There is still a physical button to turn the lights on, but they will automatically shut off if there is no movement detected for X minutes. They're also more energy efficient because they don't draw any power looking for motion. They are turned off until you flip the switch, then they only detect motion until they shut themselves off.

Vacancy sensors are the ones now required in building codes in CA.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 12, 2017

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

There's occupancy sensors and vacancy sensors. Occupancy sensors are also referred to as motion sensors. They will turn the light on when you enter a room and turn it off when no motion is detected in X minutes.

Vacancy sensors do not turn on the lights automatically. There is still a physical button to turn the lights on, but they will automatically shut off if there is no movement detected for X minutes. They're also more energy efficient because they don't draw any power looking for motion. They are turned off until you flip the switch, then they only detect motion until they shut themselves off.

Vacancy sensors are the ones now required in building codes in CA.

That's pretty smart. The whole trying to gently entice people to move the gently caress away with idiotic laws before sea level rises sink the entire state, I mean.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Not really interested in the lights going out whenever I'm taking a shower. That sounds like something that I'd put in and then remove once the inspector's gone.

Speaking of shower lights, my folks have a timer light switch where you can hit a button on there for e.g. 10 minutes and it'll turn off automatically after that time. That's actually pretty useful.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

"Why do I have to do thing thats objectively better for society? Don't they know I have money?"
-People who need to gtfo of California

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

FogHelmut posted:

Electricity isnt magic, it comes from places that are generally poo poo in the long run. They dont care how much you use but worry about how much you waste. If an LED can emit as many lumens at 3watts as an incandescent bulb can at 60watts then you are saving electricity and thus not ruining the planet.

If you ran on entirely clean and renewable energy then they wouldnt care if you had a million 100W incandescent bulbs stay on 24/7 just to light up your fridge.

dpack_1 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 12, 2017

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"Why do I have to do thing thats objectively better for society? Don't they know I have money?"
-People who need to gtfo of California
I just fail to see how having the lights go out mid-poo poo is objectively better for society. It's bad enough when you realize the roll is empty but adding total darkness too is just adding insult to injury.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dpack_1 posted:

Electricity isnt magic, it comes from places that are generally poo poo in the long run. They dont care how much you use but worry about how much you waste. If an LED can emit as many lumens at 3watts as an incandescent bulb can at 60watts then you are saving electricity and thus not ruining the planet.

If you ran on entirely clean and renewable energy then they wouldnt care if you had a million 100W incandescent bulbs stay on 24/7 just to light up your fridge.

I doubt they would allow you to call it a fridge if it was constantly generating heat from a million 100W bulbs, though. Sounds more like an incineration box.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I believe most of them automatically turn on when you enter, then turn off after a few minutes of inactivity. Usually right when you're in the middle of taking a poo poo and you haven't moved for 5 minutes, but you're too far away to trigger the sensor again.

5 minutes inactivity taking a poo poo? I'm pretty sure that's against code in SoCal

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bofast posted:

I doubt they would allow you to call it a fridge if it was constantly generating heat from a million 100W bulbs, though. Sounds more like an incineration box.
You do know the light turns off when you close the door, right

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

dpack_1 posted:

I care about how much I waste because it costs me money. That's why I have LEDs and CFLs and turn off the lights when I leave the room. If people want to waste electricity, good for them. They pay for it. If its so precious to conserve, give it a usage cap. Don't force people to purchase products that make them poo poo in the dark. Don't want people to use incandescent bulbs? Don't sell them. Banning the fixture is absurd considering the availability LED and CFL bulbs. You're limiting choices which are just as effective, many of which are lower cost.

*listens to California Uber Alles on loop for 12 hours straight*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Then install it and change the settings or turn it off, jfc.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

If its so precious to conserve, give it a usage cap.

as was said before:

tangy yet delightful posted:

Because that would effect rich people more than poor people. Duh.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

5 minutes inactivity taking a poo poo? I'm pretty sure that's against code in SoCal

Actually, making GBS threads for more than five minutes is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Progressive JPEG posted:

as was said before:

Well... who's building new stuff that this code is being enforced with? Not the poors.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I care about how much I waste because it costs me money. That's why I have LEDs and CFLs and turn off the lights when I leave the room. If people want to waste electricity, good for them. They pay for it. If its so precious to conserve, give it a usage cap. Don't force people to purchase products that make them poo poo in the dark. Don't want people to use incandescent bulbs? Don't sell them. Banning the fixture is absurd considering the availability LED and CFL bulbs. You're limiting choices which are just as effective, many of which are lower cost.

*listens to California Uber Alles on loop for 12 hours straight*

Yeah, honestly just use energy costs to incentivize this kind of stuff. A bunch of specific regulations are going to be far less useful than just setting exponentially increasing taxes on residential electricity usage for example. If someone wants to run a bunch of lights in a garage all night, whatever, they can pay for it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Bad Munki posted:

Actually, making GBS threads for more than five minutes is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Prop No 2: Mandatory Squat Toilets

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, honestly just use energy costs to incentivize this kind of stuff. A bunch of specific regulations are going to be far less useful than just setting exponentially increasing taxes on residential electricity usage for example. If someone wants to run a bunch of lights in a garage all night, whatever, they can pay for it.

The problem is that your average home buy has little to no control over what's installed in the house they buy, and while they might be able to pay an electrician to swap out all the relevant fixtures for them (better hope all your runs have the necessary wires!) the cost and inconvenience is enough that it would likely never happen. Meanwhile the added cost to doing it "right" at install is far less. You might say that it would be better to incentivise "green" construction (with a tax rebate or something) rather than just regulate all renovation, but now you've got an added level of certification and administration that's going to cost the taxypayers even more to enact versus just saying "hey, do it this way".

I appreciate the attitude that "code for safety" is one thing and efficiency/comfort is another, but I don't think it's that clear cut either. There's plenty of cases where the code ensures a minimum level of functionality/convenience/environmental impact, so I don't think it's out of place here.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Not really interested in the lights going out whenever I'm taking a shower. That sounds like something that I'd put in and then remove once the inspector's gone.

You need to have only one light controlled by the vacancy sensor in a bathroom. So the vacancy sensor connected lights do the lights above the vanity, then have a separate on/off switch for a light in the shower. If you're in the shower too long, the bathroom lights will turn off but your shower light will still be on.

• Locked thread