Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 3's main story and thematic ties are so much stronger than P4s crap it's unreal.

p4 has much better pacing but i don't really care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierson posted:

Also if she hadn't done that and I wasn't already spoiled on team members I honestly would have expected the third palace to be hers and the Boy Detective to be our new party member because this girl is an inch away from boiling over holy poo poo.

Something I love about all the teammates is that they really own the whole delinquent thing. Even Haru. They all have neuroses and the Phantom Thieves come across as very believable anti-heroes. It connects very well with the use of thieves and demons as Personas and the lategame especially. They all have so much anger at the world, and that fuels them and unites them both. Only Morgana is an exception, and for a good reason.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Persona 3's main story and thematic ties are so much stronger than P4s crap it's unreal.

p4 has much better pacing but i don't really care!

Ye ye

Persona 3 is a better overall cohesive, artistic product, but hold a gun to my head and I'd much rather replay P4 Golden than P3FES any day.

EDIT: What this one said, more or less

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I really like P3, but I really don't like playing it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
P3's bad pacing is basically shoving the 3rd Palace all the way to September.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So musketeer Haru uses an axe instead of a fencing sword? I don't really have a problem with this, but it seems a little weird when everyone else fits their motif to a T.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I really like P3, but I really don't like playing it.

This really perfectly describes P5 for me, as well. I really like it, but I'm having close to zero actual fun playing it. It's pretty much exactly the opposite of ME:A, which I didn't much like, but had a lot of fun with while playing.

The only good sequel has been Nier :(

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Oh god, I think I broke Haru's heart by not dating her but I was already committed to Makoto

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Intoluene posted:

Oh god, I think I broke Haru's heart by not dating her but I was already committed to Makoto

You should've picked the friend option back in rank 9

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Intoluene posted:

Yeah, the scene for turning down Haru really made me feel bad. She seems genuinely very let down. :(

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

You should've picked the friend option back in rank 9

That was the friend option in rank 9. She genuinely seemed let down that you only see her as a friend.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I'm actually putting off playing this right now because I know I likely don't need more than single session to beat it (I'm about 3/5ths of the way through Palace 7) and I just don't want it to be over :(

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man I'm actually putting off playing this right now because I know I likely don't need more than single session to beat it (I'm about 3/5ths of the way through Palace 7) and I just don't want it to be over :(

You've still got a ways to go. More than one session for sure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Persona 3 is really thematically cohesive except all those parts where it's not at all

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So just to clarify, the boss of Palace 7 is basically Senator Armstrong.
Also was that fight supposed to take 2 hours? I'm playing on hard and it felt like a proper SMT fight.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Arist posted:

Persona 3 is really thematically cohesive except all those parts where it's not at all
Remember That You Will Die

except when we bring Shinji back

and we explicitly establish cosmic forces are out to try and revive the main character from death

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The theme of Persona 5 is much better: Never Trust The Cops, If You Believe In Your Gun It Will Be Real.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moltrey posted:

and we explicitly establish cosmic forces are out to try and revive the main character from death

Hey it's really cool that all the characters are linked by having someone close to them die, that's pretty interesting. Oh hey Fuuka, what's up?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Arist posted:

Hey it's really cool that all the characters are linked by having someone close to them die, that's pretty interesting. Oh hey Fuuka, what's up?
god I forgot they managed to even tie the dog to Death but bypassed Fuuka, the first new character completely,

leaving her trapped in her Personas' weird orb tummy that she stood in all the time

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Makoto is consistently great, because of what she gets up to before she joins the party.

She follows you around pretending to read a book, and gets really flustered when you go and talk to her. She doesn;t just follow you in school either.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Currently early November, blindsided by the proficiency requirement for Haru. I'm slowly maxing out the Confidants that I care about, but the ones that join late always throw a wrench in my plans because you more or less have to do them every time they're available or you just narrowly miss maxing them out.

It's so annoying I'm considering rushing Fortune to make up for lost time overday, but every night I spend with Fortune is another night I'm not raising proficiency. What to do, what to do.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
How much proficiency do I need to go from rank 4 to rank 5? Locked from doing the Empress confidant and she's the one I was gunning for from the start since she uses axes.

I've hung out with the gun dude and made a bunch of tools and I'm still rank 4 :(

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's more thematically consistent than P4, which really loses track of what it's trying to do in the back half of the game. P4 has better characters and mechanics overall, and in some ways it's paced better, but it's not as cohesive and affecting a narrative as P3. Neither of them approach the level of harmony between gameplay and theme we see in P5, though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Moltrey posted:

shinji dies anyway & the later is from the trashheap that is persona 4 arena (and even then elizabeth all but says that the only way she can actually bring him back without issue is if all humans everywhere become perfect beings that never ever have bad emotions)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's more thematically consistent than P4, which really loses track of what it's trying to do in the back half of the game. P4 has better characters and mechanics overall, and in some ways it's paced better, but it's not as cohesive and affecting a narrative as P3. Neither of them approach the level of harmony between gameplay and theme we see in P5, though.

P4 sticks to its guns, its theme is just kind of vague and hazy (or foggy, haw haw haw) compared to Memento Mori. It's about avoiding easy answers and being true to yourself, and the final arcs consist of avoiding a lot of red herrings while squaring off against the theme's antithesis in Adachi, a screechy r/redpill poster playing criminal mastermind.

P3's theme had more clarity but its execution seemed almost totally limited to the main character, who eventually started to feel like he was taking second billing to Aigis and her tedious Pinocchio complex.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the latter half is honestly where P4's theme starts to come together

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

P4's writing is seriously thrown off by how everything in the whole world has to orbit around the titanic boner of yu narukami

lifelong friends chie and yukiko interact with eachother without narukami being in the room maybe 5 times in the entire 80 hour game (and one of those is the hot springs scene), meanwhile in P3 junpei and yukari hang out at the shrine and poo poo without you on the weekends

not to mention poo poo like yosuke being an obvious paralel/mirror of adachi not being mentioned at all outside of one offhand line because he's The Comic Relief and doesn't get to actually do anything besides talk for the protagonist and complain about a girl he superficially knew for like a week

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Shinji dies anyways even if you do bring him back, and the other thing isn't even in Persona 3 at all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nanako should've stayed dead, dojima shoulda been the killer

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Zore posted:

More people than Haru should have gotten Gun skills tbh.

I think it would have given Yusuke a decent niche so he isn't just 'Ryugi but worse and also with ice'

I actually really like his rifle since you can fish for crits with it. It's even better with one of the Tower abilities that doubles your maximum ammo.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

nanako should've stayed dead

:yikes:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nothing in this game so far has topped Yusuke's rank 5 scene. It is amazing and even if you never use Yusuke and don't intend on maxing Proficiency (which you need to go beyond rank 5) it is worth it.

Also I'm in like mid-August and I've only ranked Ryuji's Confidant and I have a couple others at rank 8 but my Knowledge is 4 and everything else is rank 3 aaaaa I'm not gonna get a bunch of these done at all! At least Sun will max next rank.

At the very least I wanted to max out Death and Priestess but my Charm just isn't raising fast enough!
Sun and Devil stopped giving me extra charm at later ranks!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

shinji dies anyway & the later is from the trashheap that is persona 4 arena (and even then elizabeth all but says that the only way she can actually bring him back without issue is if all humans everywhere become perfect beings that never ever have bad emotions)

Saagonsa posted:

Shinji dies anyways even if you do bring him back, and the other thing isn't even in Persona 3 at all.
okay that's my bad, i completely spaced and thought Shinjiro just stayed in the hospital for the rest of the game if you loved him hard enough
the elizabeth thing is still real dumb tho and them actually completing that plot thread would be so lame

darealkooky posted:

P4's writing is seriously thrown off by how everything in the whole world has to orbit around the titanic boner of yu narukami

lifelong friends chie and yukiko interact with eachother without narukami being in the room maybe 5 times in the entire 80 hour game (and one of those is the hot springs scene), meanwhile in P3 junpei and yukari hang out at the shrine and poo poo without you on the weekends

not to mention poo poo like yosuke being an obvious paralel/mirror of adachi not being mentioned at all outside of one offhand line because he's The Comic Relief and doesn't get to actually do anything besides talk for the protagonist and complain about a girl he superficially knew for like a week
This is a lot of it for me too. I honestly do not like looking at Yu anymore, I think his design really sucks and he's boring as hell. The anime tried to give him a personality and I think they touched on something at least remotely interesting through that with the Shadow Mitsuo fight and the fight with Elizabeth at the end where he confront his Shadow, but everything was just throwing humor at wall to make Yu seem like the coolest dude in the room when he just couldn't imo.

dumb rear end grey hair at 16 bowl cut whitebread nerd

And yeah it's loving insane how much better the Persona 5 cast is as a unit, even for how early I am. Like the scene we see of Goro and Makoto meeting at the university classes they take because they're both smart 3rd years did not and just could not happen with Persona 4's writing. Not only that, but there are scenes with Sojiro and Yusuke, Sojiro with the group without the MC being there, scenes with Makoto and Sae, it's just a lot more of simple but advanced enough writing to make it feel astronomical compared to Persona 4, where it feels like no one ever does anything until Yu walks into the room

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 12, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nanako came back to life because a cognitive entity that gained sentience loved her hard enough

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Persona 5: You're too tired to read this thread

also whoo, fourth palace. that was something!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Moltrey posted:

the elizabeth thing is still real dumb tho and them actually completing that plot thread would be so lame
even if elizabeth makes it so he's no longer a door it will be after "a very, very long time" and everyone he ever know/cared about (and maybe humanity as we know it in general) will have been dead for ages

that's a far cry from nanako coming back to life via the power of mascot love and yu picking a series of arbitrary choices

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intoluene posted:

That was the friend option in rank 9. She genuinely seemed let down that you only see her as a friend.

Haru is charmingly hopelessly a romantic, and even puts a lampshade that she always really dreamed of being rescued, which feeds into her actualization as a Persona user as someone who saves herself.

I felt the same as you letting her down because Makoto is best girl, though :(

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Bogart posted:

The theme of Persona 5 is much better: Never Trust The Cops, If You Believe In Your Gun It Will Be Real.

I laughed pretty hard at this, thanks.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Bogart posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Seems pretty obvious who this Alibaba guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Question for the very very end: I've already talked to everyone I maxed (disappointingly few I might add), but there's still three story ones I haven't met. I don't expect anything with Justice obviously, and I assume Magician will be later if at all, but is there anything with Fool? I just worry because I ran into Sae and she gave me something. Also I don't wanna go back to six Persona slots.