Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I got a second place finish in duos with my buddy yesterday after I avenged him (he acted as bait for another group cause he had no gun). Shot the guy who shot my buddy but didn't kill him fast enough to save him, and ran out of ammo. So I start beating the guy with the gun to death while his unarmed passenger tries to run me down with a UAZ. Ended up in a fist fight which I won with a flying punch headshot.

It felt so glorious, and then ended up getting second at the end cause I was by myself and the other team had me 'surrounded'. I think I got video, I'll check after work tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Got a second place finish in squad yesterday with my group of 3. We got all the way down to a 1v1 me and one other guy. He was hiding behind a wall, and I was just barely outside the circle. I knew I had to do something crazy, so I jumped the hill rushed at him, and while doing so realized I forgot to switch to my shotgun, and he blows me away....

What a close First place finish... I am an idiot.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
H1Z1's devs really screwed their game up and all the big streamers started playing PUBG. I do miss some things from H1Z1, but I'm pretty happy with PUBG.

I just hope they can optimize their game, it really reminds me of ARMA where the game itself was built in a way that could not be optimized, by devs or modders.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So what's the story with H1Z1? Seems like there's at least some story there, since I know Playerunknown licensed out the mod idea to get H1Z1 made but then it seems like just when I was starting to hear about H1Z1 (as someone super not tuned into this kind of survival-esque steam game, you know the type) everyone suddenly jumped ship to PUBG.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
How do I get back to having punchy fists once I find a weapon of some kind?

New sound fix owns.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

How do I get back to having punchy fists once I find a weapon of some kind?

x

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

I did that but I still couldn't punch...

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

So what's the story with H1Z1? Seems like there's at least some story there, since I know Playerunknown licensed out the mod idea to get H1Z1 made but then it seems like just when I was starting to hear about H1Z1 (as someone super not tuned into this kind of survival-esque steam game, you know the type) everyone suddenly jumped ship to PUBG.

Playerunknown's mod in ARMA became super popular and H1Z1 came out with a game that was similar to DayZ and then later added a battle royale mode to the game that then became super popular. There are tons of issues with H1Z1 from a technical standpoint, tons of hackers, teamers in solo queue, bugs, dsync and lag, and other random stuff. They continue to sell loot crates after pretty much abandoning fixing the game.

Lots of people who are playing PUBG worry about the devs dropping support and not fixing the issues with the game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

then you didn't do it right

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

succ posted:

Playerunknown's mod in ARMA became super popular and H1Z1 came out with a game that was similar to DayZ and then later added a battle royale mode to the game that then became super popular. There are tons of issues with H1Z1 from a technical standpoint, tons of hackers, teamers in solo queue, bugs, dsync and lag, and other random stuff. They continue to sell loot crates after pretty much abandoning fixing the game.

Lots of people who are playing PUBG worry about the devs dropping support and not fixing the issues with the game.

I don't know if I'd say BR was super popular. It was popular for an Arma mod, but Arma has always been so inherently inaccessible. But h1 was pretty popular all things considered, I never played it so I can't say much about the ongoing controversy.

Knifegrab posted:

Don't crouch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Well gently caress!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

From memory H1Z1 was originally being developed by the guy/(team?) that developed or designed planetside 2. There were all sorts of promises to polish and design something that wasn't a janky pile of poo. Then it came out and it was a janky pile of poo and then the dev team working on it changed names or the game was sold or something like that? Not sure on that part. But in the end I don't think anything at all was ever improved. I haven't played it in a long time though.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

From memory H1Z1 was originally being developed by the guy/(team?) that developed or designed planetside 2. There were all sorts of promises to polish and design something that wasn't a janky pile of poo. Then it came out and it was a janky pile of poo and then the dev team working on it changed names or the game was sold or something like that? Not sure on that part. But in the end I don't think anything at all was ever improved. I haven't played it in a long time though.

Sony Online Entertainment was bought by an investment group and renamed Daybreak Games. They then really half assed all the games and nothing came out great. PUBG only real advantage is that the dev at least seems to give a poo poo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Apprentice Dick posted:

Sony Online Entertainment was bought by an investment group and renamed Daybreak Games. They then really half assed all the games and nothing came out great. PUBG only real advantage is that the dev at least seems to give a poo poo.

already behind of patch schedule
already $30m in the bank

why even try anymore

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

succ posted:

Heh. I played DayZ standalone. This game was better -and when I say better I mean holy poo poo better- on day one than standalone is today after four years of "development."

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

i haven't played with the new audio patch, but everytime i play I fear the moment i'm going to jump the gently caress out of my seat when I get shot at. It can be completely silent with birds chirping and then your dude will suddenly scream AGHHh at about 15x the normal volume and no shot/bullet sounds. it's about as annoying as cheap jump scares in movies

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

i haven't played with the new audio patch, but everytime i play I fear the moment i'm going to jump the gently caress out of my seat when I get shot at. It can be completely silent with birds chirping and then your dude will suddenly scream AGHHh at about 15x the normal volume and no shot/bullet sounds. it's about as annoying as cheap jump scares in movies

If you are talking about the fake damage bug, where it sounds like you get hurt but don't, I heard you can take off and put on your vest to stop it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Of course the day after my audio complaint the fixed patch drops which fixes all the issues. The bullet snaps seriously shake you up if you're not prepared and doors & footsteps are really audible now.

I had a game where I heard a crack then a snap from behind me so I quickly dove to cover. I saw a guy running over the crest of a hill to take cover behind a buggy. I tagged him with a shotgun then pulled out a grenade and threw it just in time to see the grenade that he threw sail through the air so I had time to sprint the gently caress away while he and the buggy blew up :haw:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Something to do with some Smegly guy who was running the show and took on the role of PR guy. Except he was a PR nightmare.

And then Sony cut ties so they changed names to Daybreak.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Really enjoying this even though I was terrible at DayZ.

I think they could benefit from a lot of game mode variations, like:
  • Team mode (server split into 2-3 large groups, each in their own plane that drops off in its own path). Could make for some memorable, narrative-serving moments as you link up with your allies, get caught in skirmishes with them, involuntarily split apart as a result of a firefight gone bad, etc.
  • The first few game zone collapses happens between longer intervals, and/or shed less land. This should elongate the early game, however, the drop rate of items is also strongly reduced so it's far more risky to loot a few buildings and then camp. If you did that you'll likely be under-geared in the late game when things start to get busy. Hopefully this would create more conflicts borne purely from scavenging rather than a bunch of hermit crabs who only dash to another shelter when the game zone updates.
  • Bounties. So you don't over-influence the plane jump, have it activate when the last person touches down, and then update the map so that there's an ACOG crosshair type sprite over the grid your bounty is in, and give them a special nameplate if you spot them. Can do a few more things here to balance it out but if you incentivize enough to get the killing blow on your bounty it should make for a more active landscape. Bounty should probably be a multiplier to your rewards so that people don't just try to die asap after killing their quarry but instead will want to capitalize on it by doing well in the match
  • Pistols only because I'm a sucker for that playstyle now and then.

I think for the most part those are changes that might not take a herculean effort to implement and would add a lot more variety to the game.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 11, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

jonathan posted:

Something to do with some Smegly guy who was running the show and took on the role of PR guy. Except he was a PR nightmare.

And then Sony cut ties so they changed names to Daybreak.
john smedley? the cofounder of sony online entertainment? lol ya some guy, he quit after he threatened some hackers apparently you cant do that :shrug:

dey break games

Bhaal posted:

• Team mode (server split into 2-3 large groups, each in their own plane that drops off in its own path). Could make for some memorable, narrative-serving moments as you link up with your allies, get caught in skirmishes with them, involuntarily split apart as a result of a firefight gone bad, etc.
  • The first few game zone collapses happens between longer intervals, and/or shed less land. This should elongate the early game, however, the drop rate of items is also strongly reduced so it's far more risky to loot a few buildings and then camp. If you did that you'll likely be under-geared in the late game when things start to get busy. Hopefully this would create more conflicts borne purely from scavenging rather than a bunch of hermit crabs who only dash to another shelter when the game zone updates.
  • Bounties. So you don't over-influence the plane jump, have it activate when the last person touches down, and then update the map so that there's an ACOG crosshair type sprite over the grid your bounty is in, and give them a special nameplate if you spot them. Can do a few more things here to balance it out but if you incentivize enough to get the killing blow on your bounty it should make for a more active landscape. Bounty should probably be a multiplier to your rewards so that people don't just try to die asap after killing their quarry but instead will want to capitalize on it by doing well in the match

I think for the most part those are changes that might not take a herculean effort to implement and would add a lot more variety to the game.
these are not great ideas, every single one of them
e: actually team mode would own, 50v50

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 11, 2017

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Bhaal posted:

This would own. Have everyone spawn with a red or blue helmets depending on teams, have the planes pass close to each other in opposite directions so you can choose to drop behind enemy lines. have guns mounted on the cars. be able to choose a loadout, break everyone out into 4 person squads, your reward would be a crate with garbage loot, and then change the name from battlegrounds to battlefield

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bhaal posted:

I will also echo that these are mostly bad ideas, and don't seem to align with PU's desire to finish the game within 6 months.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

john smedley? lol ya some guy,

In the games industry, either you're Carmack or Romero, or Some Guy. This is from the perspective of Joe Puffajoint and play vids after work kind of people.

I guess maybe Cliffy B could be considered B list and GabeN C list.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pistols only mode is already in the game.
You activate it when you're sure the next building over will FINALLY have an AR for you, but nope, just some bullshit pistol that takes 7.62mm rounds.

(shame your opponents always seem to have an AR. Or if they don't, and S12K, or a fully loaded UMP.)

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

already behind of patch schedule
already $30m in the bank

why even try anymore

This is what I worry about, exactly what happened with DayZ.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

Heh. I played DayZ standalone. This game was better -and when I say better I mean holy poo poo better- on day one than standalone is today after four years of "development."

the bar is pretty loving low in this genre of game though. 'holy poo poo better' is still like, the game does the things I'm telling it to do only sometimes instead of lagging out and doing nothing and sometimes you can play a round without some weird glitch or lovely lag.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

mehall posted:

Pistols only mode is already in the game.
You activate it when you're sure the next building over will FINALLY have an AR for you, but nope, just some bullshit pistol that takes 7.62mm rounds.

(shame your opponents always seem to have an AR. Or if they don't, and S12K, or a fully loaded UMP.)

I don't wanna hear you in this thread poo poo-talking the revolver again. It's amazing and I will defend its honor. :colbert:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

succ posted:

This is what I worry about, exactly what happened with DayZ.

The biggest difference is they're not looking to introduce a ton of new stuff here, in fact we've seen almost all the content with the exception of new clothes and maps probably. They've set reasonable goals to complete, and it's not really a survival game so it shouldn't be subject to Survivial EA hell.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think I vastly prefer the final engagements of the game to take place in the dense urban jungle of the cities. The mad dash for the safe zone at the final moments combined with the close quarters action makes it much more tense and enjoyable. A lot more than trying to run across open fields with absolutely no cover or concealment. Just played a duo with my pal and came 3rd with an 8 kill streak all with the hunting shotgun w/ a choke. That thing is a laser death cannon sentence.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the bar is pretty loving low in this genre of game though. 'holy poo poo better' is still like, the game does the things I'm telling it to do only sometimes instead of lagging out and doing nothing and sometimes you can play a round without some weird glitch or lovely lag.

For sure. I'm just saying what a pleasant surprise this game is in terms of quality right off the bat especially when compared to years long development slogs like DayZ.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

tehinternet posted:

For sure. I'm just saying what a pleasant surprise this game is in terms of quality right off the bat especially when compared to years long development slogs like DayZ.

Arma is a force of nature. It's hard to get it to do what you want it to.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I think squads of eight or ten would be reasonably sick.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
If anything, the last few circles could do with going a little slower and the first ones with being sped up.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I think the aim of the devs is to increase the pressure as the game goes on and force you into bad spots, not make it fair so everyone can loot and find a house and rock to camp.

If the last circle is moving too fast it's because you hosed up.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game ending in open fields with like, two trees to either side is a lovely way to do it, and it's what happens 90% of the time. Every time I die to it it feels like complete garbage because there's no way to tell where the six or nine or whatever other people are going to come from, and you have no cover. The few times it ends on cities or the in-between groups of houses or something are way better because than you can have cool, skill based firefights instead of whoever enters the circle last basically reaps victory because everyone else died with no options.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The game is mostly about positioning. I'm okay with that. There's a risk/reward to positioning yourself in the center of the circle and I'm mostly okay with that. Unless it goes against my favor, in which case, gently caress that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Positioning is great when you actually have options, the way most games end you have no options if you're not sitting on a giant pile of FAKs or boosts.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Orv posted:

skill based firefights

What skill are you talking about? The skill to look around corners of the buildings, or the skill to hip fire your gun fully automatic without aiming in close range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The best I've done in the final victory circle is by actively hunting the other players when it starts to squeeze. If you stop to camp the lurkers coming in from the outside will shoot you in the rear end or flank you, so you have to let the circle hound them out of cover and you have to blast them as they're sprinting out of the damage zone to get to a safe spot. After shooting you have to immediately start moving again, because the other players that are still alive will start gravitating towards your gunfire to try to find and kill you.

Most people in this game can't shoot for poo poo, and if you're sprinting, especially if you've taken painkillers or an energy drink, they will fail to kill you while they have the element of surprise and you will have someone who has revealed themselves in turn.

People who camp and try to hunker down in the final circle are always the ones that are the easiest to kill for me. The people who always end up getting me are the aggressive ones who immediately move towards my gunfire, and usually they catch me trying to bandage/painkiller myself from the gunfight that I just completed.

Think of the circle as your friend that is bringing all of your victims closer to you, not as a death wall that is squeezing you into the people who are going to kill you. Kill everyone else before it becomes two trees and an open field, and if it does hit that point you know the other guy is behind the other tree so start chucking grenades at his rear end.

• Locked thread