Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

stone cold posted:

Yeah, fair enough, techbros can go ahead and stay up there.

Although, how's the gentrification of Oakland and displacement of Oakland residents going?

:(

I just read about a cool little coffee shop I used to go to near lake merritt (owned by an old black guy who planned to pass it on to his sons) getting evicted after the building got bought. So it's going well, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So anecdotal crap.

They're building a new fancy apartment complex near the high school I attended in LA. Was one of the most overcrowded schools, right by downtown.

10ish years ago they demolished one of the old railcar tunnels and.built a similar set of apartments on the land. I remember looking at 'em and rent was like 1400 for a 1/1 at around 800-1000 sqft. Not terrible but still pricey.

The new building? Something like 2,500 for a studio 460-500 sqft. God help you if you wanted the 3/2, that's like 6700 monthly.

Granted, the place is built up so you wouldn't have to (ugh) actually go into the community much but Jesus loving christ.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

stone cold posted:

Yeah, fair enough, techbros can go ahead and stay up there.

Although, how's the gentrification of Oakland and displacement of Oakland residents going?

:(

Slower. Mostly because white people are scared of sending their kids to schools with black kids so they usually just jump the hills right over to concord or Pleasanton. Coming right along with the childfree though.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Zesty Mordant posted:

I just read about a cool little coffee shop I used to go to near lake merritt (owned by an old black guy who planned to pass it on to his sons) getting evicted after the building got bought. So it's going well, basically.

:sigh:

Ron Jeremy posted:

Slower. Mostly because white people are scared of sending their kids to schools with black kids so they usually just jump the hills right over to concord or Pleasanton. Coming right along with the childfree though.

Ugh. So what is the techbro plan once the people who work in sf can no longer live anywhere near sf at all?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The 'techbro' plan is to build enough housing to meet demand. It's the NIMBYs and activist left that want the opposite, and SF is the perfect example of what happens when they (mostly) get their way.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cicero posted:

The 'techbro' plan is to build enough housing to meet demand. It's the NIMBYs and activist left that want the opposite, and SF is the perfect example of what happens when they (mostly) get their way.

Bullshit, there are NIMBYs in all sectors, but the big issue is property values. Sky high property values mean that the people who've owned homes in Sunnyvale and Palo Alto for thirty years got to become instant millionaires while Prop 13 keeps them from taking the commensurate tax hit. In the cities, most people rent and the housing shortage means that the landlords can charge crazy high rents while cutting corners slumlord style because there's literally more people than housing. An awful lot of the real Bay Area left wants to build affordable housing, but everyone who owns property is terrified that more housing (and poors) will send their property values tanking, so we get this runaway NIMBYism where most people agree that the Bay needs more housing, but don't want it in their neighborhood and they're all locked in a big game of chicken with the homelessness crisis that will only end when the housing market crashes or the government steps in.

Yeah, some of the nimbys are SF liberal elites and various aging yuppy faux-bohemian types obsessed with preserving the "character" of their neighborhoods, but rich liberal assholes are still rich assholes and the techies are certainly no better. Silicon Valley has practically declared war on high-density housing and I really don't think the tech sector down there is just a bunch of powerless pawns of the "activist left."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Duckbag posted:

Bullshit, there are NIMBYs in all sectors, but the big issue is property values. Sky high property values mean that the people who've owned homes in Sunnyvale and Palo Alto for thirty years got to become instant millionaires while Prop 13 keeps them from taking the commensurate tax hit. In the cities, most people rent and the housing shortage means that the landlords can charge crazy high rents while cutting corners slumlord style because there's literally more people than housing.
Okay, so far I agree with all this, this doesn't even conflict with what I said. NIMBYs and a certain segment of the left (not all progressives) are against new development, which constrains supply and pushes up property values/housing prices.

quote:

An awful lot of the real Bay Area left wants to build affordable housing,
Yes, but there are also a lot on the left who are more interested in spiting developers than getting lower housing prices, or think that supply and demand don't exist. I'd be cool with a progressive plan that actually had a chance in hell of getting housing prices lower across the board -- like, say, using an income tax to have the government make a ton of housing itself ala Singapore or Vienna -- but instead they try to get it 'for free' from developers by requiring a certain percentage of units to be affordable, which is nice for the people who win the lottery for those units but does approximately jack poo poo for everyone else. And sometimes you get a ludicrous situation like a new complex that's 100% affordable housing for seniors and neighborhood NIMBYs still oppose it (IIRC this happened in SF recently).

quote:

but everyone who owns property is terrified that more housing (and poors) will send their property values tanking, so we get this runaway NIMBYism where most people agree that the Bay needs more housing, but don't want it in their neighborhood and they're all locked in a big game of chicken with the homelessness crisis that will only end when the housing market crashes or the government steps in.
Yup.

quote:

Yeah, some of the nimbys are SF liberal elites and various aging yuppy faux-bohemian types obsessed with preserving the "character" of their neighborhoods, but rich liberal assholes are still rich assholes and the techies are certainly no better. Silicon Valley has practically declared war on high-density housing and I really don't think the tech sector down there is just a bunch of powerless pawns of the "activist left."
Here's the part where you're completely delusional. Yeah I'm sure there are some rich, older techies who are NIMBYs personally, but the wide swathes of young techies flooding into the area are definitely pro-more-housing, as are the companies themselves. Facebook literally pays employees extra to live close to work and is building their own housing, Google is planning on basically becoming a developer to get high-ish-density housing next to their HQ, and has put a lot of money upgrading infrastructure to support higher densities around their HQ neighborhood (like with sidewalks and bike lanes).

These companies try to concentrate employees at their HQs as much as they can, and are keenly aware that the insane housing prices in the bay area are a major impediment to recruiting people from other parts of the country, particularly more senior people with families. If housing prices were lower, they'd either have an immediately easier time recruiting and/or could lower salaries a bit while still remaining competitive, either way it's a win for them. Plus higher-density housing closer to their campuses means employees may be able to work more, of course.

Between working at Google in Mountain View, where housing was a very frequent topic both informally and at company all-hands, and reading the techie-heavy subreddits like /r/sanfrancisco or /r/bayarea, it's pretty obvious that techies wants way more housing.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 7, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's not that the techies are anti-affordable housing, they're just pro-company towns.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's not that the techies are anti-affordable housing, they're just pro-company towns.
I mean, the companies themselves engage in that kind of behavior just by virtue of trying to concentrate their workers in one area as much as they can. But I don't think the techies themselves are in favor of that, though, most people I talk to at Google, especially the younger workers, vastly prefer the setup of Google NYC (in the middle of Manhattan) to Google MTV (huge suburban campus by itself). So I'd be interested in why you think that is, assuming it's not just the standard D&D "techies are awful people so I'll just assume awful things about them by default" sentiment.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It's nice that they've noticed they have a problem, but homelessness in the Santa Clara valley has been at near crisis levels for years and I'm not sure their plans for building more housing for tech employees will be much help. The biggest issue is that even when tech companies like Google decide to throw their employees a bone, it doesn't necessarily do much to help the people that don't work for them. For every person who works in a tech firm, there are half a dozen people who don't, but still provide services they need. Those people need housing too, and don't have tech industry salaries to pay for it. This crisis emerged because the tech industry has spent decades clustering into this little corridor south of San Jose and brought hundreds of thousands of jobs (and people) to an area that used to be quiet suburbs. Obviously the local governments were drat stupid to welcome every startup that knocked on their doors without any sort of plan, but that doesn't change the fact that the tech industry also deserves some blame. The industry's obsession with gathering all the best talent they can find and the fact that they chose to do it in a place that scarcely had the infrastructure to support it has created this problem. Tech yuppies who could afford to pay twice the rent of previous tenants created this problem. Companies weren't evil for wanting to grow and employees weren't evil for wanting to take good jobs in a nice area, but these furtive and belated steps to address the crisis are a drop in the bucket and there's still a lot more tech firms and individuals could be doing. I don't think "techbro" resentment is wholly justified, but they shouldn't get off scot free either.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There is a stereotype that every Boomer is this wealthy landowner in the Bay Area but it isn't necessarily true. A huge portion of the homeless people in the area are Baby-Boomer aged people unable to find affordable housing. The people hit the worst are always going to be the elderly and disabled. Even affordable housing meant for Seniors is pretty limited. The only trailer park still present in Palo Alto is in constant peril of getting bought out and if it ever was, a ton of older people who didn't have the privilege of owning property are hosed.

I agree that not everybody in the Bay Area works in tech; my wife and I certainly don't but we have to bear the premium by the people that do. A lot of people say "Just move" but the fact is both of us have all of our families here, and the weather is great so it is a tough compromise between living where you grew up and being able to really afford to live there comfortably.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

There is a stereotype that every Boomer is this wealthy landowner in the Bay Area but it isn't necessarily true. A huge portion of the homeless people in the area are Baby-Boomer aged people unable to find affordable housing. The people hit the worst are always going to be the elderly and disabled. Even affordable housing meant for Seniors is pretty limited. The only trailer park still present in Palo Alto is in constant peril of getting bought out and if it ever was, a ton of older people who didn't have the privilege of owning property are hosed.

I agree that not everybody in the Bay Area works in tech; my wife and I certainly don't but we have to bear the premium by the people that do. A lot of people say "Just move" but the fact is both of us have all of our families here, and the weather is great so it is a tough compromise between living where you grew up and being able to really afford to live there comfortably.

OTOH, people are forced to leave their hometowns in America all the time, usually because of a crappy job market rather than a red hot one.

I feel like moving out is an inevitability if only because renting no longer guarantees any stability. Our national domestic policies and tax codes are written to favor homeowners rather than renters, plus the new normal of the rental market basically ensures I'll be buttfucked out of my apartment eventually when the next bubble starts.

revolther
May 27, 2008
We're all surfers and believe in serfdom.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

white people are scared of sending their kids to schools with black kids

True, but they're also scared of sending their kids to any school with too many non-whites/poors. It's not like SF's public schools are much whiter than Oakland's (Oakland's are 11% white, SF's are 13% white), despite being way less black (8% vs. 26%). White people in the Bay Area are largely middle to upper class, and tend to send their kids to private schools.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 8, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

White people consider asians to be white too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FCKGW posted:

Until the Asian kids start dominating all their classes, that is.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Until the Asian kids start dominating all their classes, that is.

Model Minorities, as long as they stay minorities.

Its amazing how "Love me, I'm a liberal" has stood the test of time.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

FCKGW posted:

Only East Asians.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
please update the thread title as the drought is now over forever and we can all tear out our xeriscaped yards to replace them with grass, and start opening fire hydrants and having big 70s-style block parties with kids running round in the spray

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

paranoid randroid posted:

please update the thread title as the drought is now over forever and we can all tear out our xeriscaped yards to replace them with grass, and start opening fire hydrants and having big 70s-style block parties with kids running round in the spray

Sorry what? I couldn't hear you over the sound of me power washing my Tesla for the third time this week :smug:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also it really should have been Welfare, Weed, and Water for alliterative purposes anyway

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Forceholy posted:

Model Minorities, as long as they stay minorities.

Its amazing how "Love me, I'm a liberal" has stood the test of time.

And "National Brotherhood Week"!

I have enjoyed taking guiltless long showers, and I don't care who knows it! (If I get organized this year, I'll turn all 4 tiny square yards of my front lawn into thyme.)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Sorry what? I couldn't hear you over the sound of me power washing my Tesla for the third time this week :smug:

yess strip that paint right off

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
considering Sacramento almost got washed out into the bay, i think i can say its every Californians duty right now to flush the toilet a few times for no reason

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

My water supply comes from a local creek, and:
- Too little rain can mean the creek is too low to get water from.
- Too much rain can mean the turbidity of the creek water is too high to get water from.

But they have really oversized storage tank capacity so its worked out so far...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

considering Sacramento almost got washed out into the bay, i think i can say its every Californians duty right now to flush the toilet a few times for no reason

Would have been a net positive, targeting California's biggest concentration of lobbyists

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The racist dude from 12 Rounds brewery in Sad issued a final "sorry not sorry" apology while formally stepping down. A small but satisfying victory in the age of Trump.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

The racist dude from 12 Rounds brewery in Sad issued a final "sorry not sorry" apology while formally stepping down. A small but satisfying victory in the age of Trump.

I love how the company is "Please give us a second chance" :qq:

Haha, gently caress off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

DMV bans Hitler/white nationalism plates. It also bans "dead", red zinfandel, and reference to Fifty Shades of Grey.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's some weird, mildly disconcerting censorship.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's some weird, mildly disconcerting censorship.

Isn't it a bit different when its stamped by the state? You can put that poo poo on your car with a regular sticker and not get hassled.

For content my friend couldn't get "dethbox" because of death, this was in the 90s.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Isn't it a bit different when its stamped by the state? You can put that poo poo on your car with a regular sticker and not get hassled.

For content my friend couldn't get "dethbox" because of death, this was in the 90s.

tbf he should probably be kind of relieved about that in retrospect.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have no problem with them banning certain words or number combinations. It's the reading into what people's "real" intentions were in applying for something that's very Miniluv.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I have no problem with them banning certain words or number combinations. It's the reading into what people's "real" intentions were in applying for something that's very Miniluv.

References to "Fifty Shades of Grey" aren't actually controversial, and "Lady Grey" is a kind of tea. The total ban on all forms of "death" and "red" is just dumb.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's pointless school marm bullshit and if someone wants to get :love:RAHOWA on their license plate or whatever, they should be able to so it's easier for me to identify whose car I should key.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah but I don't want "State of California" stamped above RAHOWA or F U NIGS. It can easily come across as an endorsement by the state of the speech in question. Nor should I or anyone else have to be subjected to hate speech because they paid an idiot tax to the DMV to put it on the back of their car.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

People are going to lie through their teeth to get whatever they want put on there, so you kind of have to. I work in law enforcement and every Broderick Boy the police stop will give a whole long spiel about how he's really just a big Red Sox fan and really loves the letter B, and that's why he's outfitted in red from head to toe. Totally not gang apparel, no sir. That same gang member will do the same to get the number 14 put on his license plate. And there's no reason for the state to officially support that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, I'm saying just ban the number 14, don't tell people why they chose it.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I do have to say I'm a little angry that I can't have a CHASEOJ plate, that is some solid 90s comedy right there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TGG posted:

I do have to say I'm a little angry that I can't have a CHASEOJ plate, that is some solid 90s comedy right there.

How I<3OJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Hope all true patriots can make it out. If you're antifa, I especially hope so. I'd love to have a calm discourse with you but also if you gently caress with me know that I will have no problems exercising my right to self-defense with extreme prejudice, God forbid it come to that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)