Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I beat it, and I have this to say: I'm free from my attic prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Stuff for 9/17 Events: I was expecting this was going to happen after I kept making GBS threads on Morgana in this thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the Elizabeth thing with the P3 protag, honestly? Because it's stated very bluntly that she's never going to succeed. Even she basically admits it. She just can't let go. Since she's presumably immortal, she's just going to spend the rest of eternity wandering the metaverse or whatever trying to find a solution that doesn't exist. That's pretty heavy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Given that a character has 'Alibaba' as a pseudonym I'm actually kind of disappointed that Ali Baba isn't actually one of the Personas of the main cast.

Necronomicon, come on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it sucks that makoto and futaba give up on the 'famous thieves' theme of the personas but maybe it's just preparing you for when everyone's personas evolve and get way more boring thematically

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

I like the Elizabeth thing with the P3 protag, honestly? Because it's stated very bluntly that she's never going to succeed. Even she basically admits it. She just can't let go. Since she's presumably immortal, she's just going to spend the rest of eternity wandering the metaverse or whatever trying to find a solution that doesn't exist. That's pretty heavy.

Not really. She gets the power of the Wildcard after Yu scares her with friendship and sets off on a journey of self-discovery, which will probably lead to an awkward moment where she ends up in the Velvet Room and instead of teaching her about Persona fusion Igor goes "where the hell have you been, you ran out of personal days six months ago"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Not really. She gets the power of the Wildcard after Yu scares her with friendship and sets off on a journey of self-discovery, which will probably lead to an awkward moment where she ends up in the Velvet Room and instead of teaching her about Persona fusion Igor goes "where the hell have you been, you ran out of personal days six months ago"
lol if you think i read any part of the persona 4 arena story that doesn't involve labrys

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

lol if you think i read any part of the persona 4 arena story that doesn't involve labrys

P4A's story is bad and the sequel is worse but Elizabeth is easily the second-best part of it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Endorph posted:

it sucks that makoto and futaba give up on the 'famous thieves' theme of the personas but maybe it's just preparing you for when everyone's personas evolve and get way more boring thematically

Johanna is weird but is basically meant to be 'famous deceiver' and apparently the idea behind Necronomicon is that alien abduction = theft.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

P4A's story is bad and the sequel is worse but Elizabeth is easily the second-best part of it.

There was a sequel?!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I haven't seen any of the evolved forms so I'm bracing myself for sheer disappointment. The default forms are so strong that anything else is gonna look bad to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

There was a sequel?!

It makes Adachi into a semi-heroic figure and he and Yu team up, which is just eugh no matter how the script tries to spin it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im a broken record at this point but I should probably read the P4 EU Adachi content cause iirc he's just a bored nihilist misogynist and I am downright flummoxed thinking of how they could spin him to make him interesting in Arena and his Social Link

and also

Endorph posted:

lol if you think i read any part of the persona 4 arena story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want to complain about anything making adachi semi-heroic, complain about the ending of P4 where he's already shown to have a change of heart and help the protagonists.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

It makes Adachi into a semi-heroic figure and he and Yu team up, which is just eugh no matter how the script tries to spin it.

i can play as adachi, i need this game. however if he doesnt say bitches and whores, maybe i dont need this game.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Endorph posted:

if you want to complain about anything making adachi semi-heroic, complain about the ending of P4 where he's already shown to have a change of heart and help the protagonists.

Strange for someone who was a reprehensible murderer just a moment ago to have a sudden change of heart like that. It's almost as if some unseen force had altered his consciousness...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

spit on my clit posted:

i can play as adachi, i need this game. however if he doesnt say bitches and whores, maybe i dont need this game.

Rating Summary: This is a fighting game in which players engage in one-on-one battles with characters from the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona franchise. Players punch, kick, and use a variety of weapons/magical attacks (e.g., machine guns, giant axes, electrical bursts) to drain opponents' health in melee-style combat. Matches are highlighted by battle cries, impact sounds, and colorful light effects as fighters are hurled across the screen or to the ground; one stage depicts red blood splatter in the background. Some cutscenes depict provocative images (e.g., a still image of several female characters wearing swimsuits posed in glamour shots; “fan service” icons that depict female characters wrapped in towels). Throughout the game, one recurring character is depicted with a cigar in his mouth. The words “sh*t,” “b*tch,” and “a*s” can be heard in the dialogue.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Endorph posted:

I think everyone having persona's based on gods that got cast out for rebelling - aka trickster gods - is pretty drat rad personally.

bewilderment posted:

Johanna is weird but is basically meant to be 'famous deceiver' and apparently the idea behind Necronomicon is that alien abduction = theft.

Futaba's persona theme is around "forbidden knowledge", it ties in with her backstory as well as her role as a navigator.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Time to button mash.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

persona 4 ultimax 2 is a pretty fun fighting game with a big cast. the only disappointing thing is that ken and koro are a single character instead of me being able to play as koro without ken.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If I remember right Adachi's arena story is basically "Wow this villain is even more of a whiny dumbass than those guys. I'm gonna have a little fun and kick his rear end"
Also all his animations are great and he's fun to play as.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marie and adachi are the best characters in p4a2

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Holy crap, somas sell for 50,000 yen? Are they super rare in this game? I'm only 5 hours in and I'm wondering if I should just sell one to load up on good equipment.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Unmature posted:

Holy crap, somas sell for 50,000 yen? Are they super rare in this game?
I found two. Three if you include the free DLC one, which I sold.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sell one and use it to buy an sp adhesive

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

He was DLC-only, if I remember right.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I sold the Soma and bought all the best starter weapons. I'll get the sp adhesive when it shows up. I hear it breaks the game and I'm ok with that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Don't mind me; just showing up at your coffee shop to drop my ~tragic backstory~ apropos of nothing. Welp, laters.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

He was DLC-only, if I remember right.

i get that he's the best character and all but come on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he was free dlc for like a month

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Just bought it and have like...2 hours left on the download.

I've never played Persona before, is there any advice a starting player would be glad to have?

I have absolutely no idea what I'm in for.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Colorspray posted:

I've never played Persona before, is there any advice a starting player would be glad to have?

Resist using a guide for your first play-through have a lot of fun and enjoy the experience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I ended up using two Somas because in the endgame some of the boss fights can be marathons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Colorspray posted:

FUSE FUSE FUSE

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Persona 3 is really thematically cohesive except all those parts where it's not at all

P3 has its warts but at least it didnt base the entire game off 'true self' and 'people arent always what they appear' but then fail to deliver on any of it, and have the cast act exactly the same before and after their dungeons. Tis a greater sin in this gamer's opinion.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Colorspray posted:

Buffs (spells that end in -kaja) and debuffs (-nda) are your best friends in boss fights. The first time I played a Persona game (jesus christ that was nine years ago), I made the mistake of thinking those spells would be useless like they always are in JRPGs, but that is most definitely not the case here.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Colorspray posted:

For the love of god, don't rent DVD's right before plot stuff is supposed to happen.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Nothing makes me turn off my PS4 more quickly than realizing I have full HP and SP after doing Momentos targets.
Might as well maximize the time-slot and waste 5 hours here.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hermit rank 5 is great along with every other chance you get to dunk on mishima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I unironically want to spend the rest of my life iterating on designs for the perfect Persona game. That's my story. Thank you for listening.