Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think any parts of the Dreg Heap are from Lothric Castle proper. They are all from the High Wall which is outside of it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Based on the butresses, I'd thought that was Anor Londo in the horizon, not Lothric.
It is unquestionably Lothric, and the High Wall is intact:

The bridge between the Grand Archives and Princes' tower is unmistakable. Anor Londo has nothing of the sort.

So somehow we pass through the Dreg Heap, of which Lothric is already a part, but when we touch Filianore's egg the place where we end up has a completely intact Lothric Castle, albeit probably only not buried in ash because of how high it was in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Bogart posted:

What is yall's favorite boss fight in Dark Souls (+ Bloodborne)? I think my favorites might be Artorias, the Burnt Ivory King, the Champion Gundyr, and Gehrmann.

Demon's: Flamelurker
Dark 1: Ornstein & Smough
Dark 2: Sir Alonne
Dark 3: Pontiff Sulyvahn
Bloodborne: Lady Maria

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bogart posted:

What is yall's favorite boss fight in Dark Souls (+ Bloodborne)? I think my favorites might be Artorias, the Burnt Ivory King, the Champion Gundyr, and Gehrmann.

Favorite Boss:

Demon's Soul: Old Monk
Dark Souls 1: Manus
Dark Souls 2: Sinh
Dark Souls 3: Pontiff Sulyvahn
Bloodborne: Ebrietas

Least Favorite:

Demon's Souls: Leechmonger
Dark Souls 1: Demon Firesage
Dark Souls 2: Guardian Dragon
Dark Souls 3: Friede
Bloodborne: I dunno, probably some trash from the Chalices I can't even remember

Honestly my enjoyment of bosses over the course of this series has shifted away from the fight itself being mechanically challenging but rather just enjoying the fight itself, regardless of how difficult it is. Or the fight just having a really cool thematic presence and design.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 12, 2017

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
What a funny glitch during a Sunbro L^2 fight.

Strength weapons really are the best, because you can just goomba stomp anything and totally wreck it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ49sd9DOsA

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 12, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bogart posted:

ds1: Artorias, no question. so good that they tried to copy it one hundred times in...
ds2: toss-up between Fume Knight and the Lost Sinner
ds3: Gael
bloodborne: Rom for the mood, Gascoigne for the brutal learning curve

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DeS: Maneater - best variant of the "multiple winged demons" boss fight which is weird since it's the first
DS1: Manus - fight with a big monsters where the camera doesn't gently caress you over, and his danmaku-like attacks are fun to deal with
DS2: Sir Alonne - badass honor duel in probably the coolest arena in the series
BB: Orphan of Kos - toughest boss in the series and a cool mix of mirror match and crazy beast type bosses
DS3: Soul of Cinder - awesome 2-part duel with callbacks not just to DS1 but also PVP

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Genocyber posted:

DS2: Sir Alonne - badass honor duel in probably the coolest arena in the series

sir alonne has definitely the best most epic battle music in the whole franchise

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Least Favorite:

Demon's Souls: Leechmonger
Dark Souls 2: Guardian Dragon
Dark Souls 3: Friede
Bloodborne: I dunno, probably some trash from the Chalices I can't even remember

Honestly my enjoyment of bosses over the course of this series has shifted away from the fight itself being mechanically challenging but rather just enjoying the fight itself, regardless of how difficult it is. Or the fight just having a really cool thematic presence and design.

If we're doing least favorites that's super easy.

Leechmonger for sure, I hate everything about that whole area.
Kalameet is my least favorite boss in the first dark souls.
Old Iron King just isn't very interesting in two.
Ancient Dragon is the worst in three.
I hate the first boss of bloodborne. Whatever beast that is, the design is way too cluttered and the arena is worse than capras especially since it's so drat big.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its really cool that if you manage to flawless Alonne he stabs himself out of shame.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really cool that if you manage to flawless Alonne he stabs himself out of shame.

all the characters in the ds2 dlc sets have so much more personality than any of the npc's in ds3

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alf_pogs posted:

all the characters in the ds2 dlc sets have so much more personality than any of the npc's in ds3

Yeah like the dragon blood jobbers. Dragons don't even bleed. They're made of stone.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Internet Kraken posted:

Least Favorite:

People poo poo on the Bed of Chaos all the time (rightfully so; it's my personal least favorite) but at least I remembered the drat thing. I forgot Demon Firesage even existed.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
watching more lore videos, looks like I've missed all sorts of little storytelling details from each area and that is probably a big reason why I kinda don't like a lot of them, aside from the drab look

But wow even the cathedral of the deep, arguably one of the less visually-appealing areas, is telling all sorts of stories with its set pieces, enemy placements, wall ornementation, etc

I never even cared about the significance of the goo all over the place, figured it was just generic dark taint (heh) in a boring corrupted church but it ties into the area, as well as several other areas and their lore bits, quite well. More deliberate and carefully crafted than the samey graphics might imply

Cool stuff

E: Things also start making more sense when the lore nerds explore the original japanese terminology for stuff and its cultural context, seems like the translation misses a bit of nuance with every release, such as the word for dreg tying more directly to "stagnation" than simply leftovers or remains or what have ya

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 12, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rough Lobster posted:

People poo poo on the Bed of Chaos all the time (rightfully so; it's my personal least favorite) but at least I remembered the drat thing. I forgot Demon Firesage even existed.

A lot of the bosses I hate are ones that are just totally unremarkable while also being boring fights. Demon Firesage is a boring fight with the an enemy you have fought twice before. Oh but now he's on fire! Ooh, scary. Nah he's still a total joke and just here to waste your time. The fact that Centipede Demon is literally right after him makes me wonder why they felt the need to even include him.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How do you dodge Midir's attack where it strafes the entire arena with fire? I've tried running into him since it only spews it one direction but it never works.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Node posted:

How do you dodge Midir's attack where it strafes the entire arena with fire? I've tried running into him since it only spews it one direction but it never works.

The flying one? When facing him, run to the left. He always spews fire towards your right.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Aldritch's feasts were what tainted the deep which is probably just a body of water under the church according to this one video. Woah brosephs i totally missed that.

Clears up this whole dark vs deep nonsense really well, the reason they sometimes seem to be connected is because the deep was just chill till the dark literally polluted it like it would a river

There's a worship lady enemy in the cathedral who's staring intently at a body of water, and Dhorrys went crazy with her obsession with the deep. That's pretty solid evidence as far as this game goes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tarezax posted:

The flying one? When facing him, run to the left. He always spews fire towards your right.

I swear I have done exactly that and have only gotten roasted each time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Aldritch's feasts were what tainted the deep which is probably just a body of water under the church according to this one video. Woah brosephs i totally missed that.

Clears up this whole dark vs deep nonsense really well, the reason they sometimes seem to be connected is because the deep was just chill till the dark literally polluted it like it would a river

There's a worship lady enemy in the cathedral who's staring intently at a body of water, and Dhorrys went crazy with her obsession with the deep. That's pretty solid evidence as far as this game goes.

This video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZiAi9LDIs

Yeah that's a good one. And it's something that's way too absent from Souls lore videos; context of the game's lore by applying a Japanese perspective to it. Way better than the puzzle-piece bullshit Vaati cranks out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually the goop in the cathedral is just velka goo that naturally shows up when velka is doing velka things. also when solaire claims his place as gwyn's firstborn

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Genocyber posted:

This video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZiAi9LDIs

Yeah that's a good one. And it's something that's way too absent from Souls lore videos; context of the game's lore by applying a Japanese perspective to it. Way better than the puzzle-piece bullshit Vaati cranks out.

Yep that's the one! So far he's making very convincing arguments without reaching very much and it fits in tidy with a lot of supposed inonsistencies.

Pro click is what I am saying

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Internet Kraken posted:

A lot of the bosses I hate are ones that are just totally unremarkable while also being boring fights. Demon Firesage is a boring fight with the an enemy you have fought twice before. Oh but now he's on fire! Ooh, scary. Nah he's still a total joke and just here to waste your time. The fact that Centipede Demon is literally right after him makes me wonder why they felt the need to even include him.

He's on fire, but also he does no fire damage whatsoever. Dark Souls 1 liked to lie about enemy damage types pretty often. Quelaag's explosion was magic, too, and the lightning that the serpent sorcerors threw was magic as well.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hmmmm is aldritch Rosaria's firstborn? His goopy body + the fact that she is still very much alive and not eaten give weight to this c r a z y thery

E: Duuh kaathe is totally the prince's mentor, he'd be down with the age of dark coming around and there are statues of him everywhere, that's pretty overt

In hindsight this is kind of an obvious one but yadda yadda hinsight is 20/20

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 12, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Bed of Chaos is really badly thought out and made, but like. It's a short fight once you know what to do, it's not much of a threat if you don't get gently shoved into a pit and die. There's just not a whole lot to bed of chaos beyond dark souls' janky platforming and unfortunate fire hitboxes really. There's a decent number of bosses in the first game that are just not really fun to deal with, whether it's because they're boring repeats like the fire sage and stray demon, or because they're just frustrating like Kalameet. My big issue with Kalameet is the same one I have with Midir really. The only attacks that are hard to dodge are the gigantic pools of fire, because it's kind of hard to tell exactly where the fire ends sometimes. Looks like you're out of the blast radius? Nope, not this time. Meanwhile half the fight is just spent with them shooting fire around while you wait for a chance to bop them with your weapon of choice and take off like 1/15th of their massive, massive HP pools. The rest of the fight is spent mindlessly dodging really overly telegraphed attacks that often miss you because the enemy is so big the attack goes right over your head to begin with so you wind up just watching a gigantic dragon spin in place comically.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gael is my favorite fight all series now.
I think the Last Giant is my fav fight from 2, actually. It's such a great mood piece to kick off this tour of a dead world. The finality of killing the last of a species, and how pathetic it looks. It even rips off it's broken arm to try to beat you with it.
One is probably Artorias. It's been so long. I'm not sure I really even liked any other fights. I considered the game more about getting to the bosses than clearing them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I knew there'd be a second phase, I knew it. I can get Midir down to around 25%, but by that point, it usually does its pew pew laser breath barrage on the entire arena and kills me in one hit. How do you handle that attack? I've tried running towards it and attacking, trying to interrupt it, but I never make it in time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey how come the Pontiff Knights get to inflict frost with every attack but in my hands the curved sword doesn't? No fair From.

Also anyone got ideas for a relatively light weight dex weapon that would make a good partner for the pontiff curved sword? I'm struggling to come up with anything.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 12, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh very cool very cool, so I think this is what is happening with the cycles:

The world has entered the age of ancients where eveything is dead or super concentrated UNLESS either the serpernts usurp the age of dark or the gods keep their fires lit, which they failed to do in the present/future (where you start and fight iudex). You're being led the exact same path as the chosen undead from DS1, except in inverse.

Ashen ones are used to try and usurp the fire and bring about the dark lest the world fate into its default nothingness, funneled through some time fuckery I guess because this is the present/future. Gods want to keep things lit and they definitely want to keep the dark (unchecked humanity aka the dark soul frm the DS1 intro) in check. Also their dumb kid got tricked by a snake so it gets even more divided. It's kind of a three-way competition and in a way the fire vs dark dichotomy is a bit misleading!

I completely forgot that DS1 introduced three ages.

I can't find any glaring holes to this yet and is inmensely satisfying for now. It fits neatly with the DLC as well, which was released after the video was published.

Wait I found one:

why is lothric fighting you then if he got convinced that he shouldn't light the fire? Shouldn't Kaathe want him to let you usurp the flame as ashen one? That seems to be necessary in order to subdue the fire (as seen in the dark age ending where the fire from the eclipse goes off). Upon revision the age of dark seems to get real cozy with "nothingness" so that complicates the three age thingie

Oh well, my head hurts

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 12, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
This was posted in PYF's fanart thread. Really cool stuff.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey how come the Pontiff Knights get to inflict frost with every attack but in my hands the curved sword doesn't? No fair From.

Also anyone got ideas for a relatively light weight dex weapon that would make a good partner for the pontiff curved sword? I'm struggling to come up with anything.

YEAH and why don't Lothric shields do that neat bash that deals damage too? What the heck FROM

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bogart posted:

fume, alonne, champ gundyr, maria, artorias

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

KingSlime posted:

why is lothric fighting you then if he got convinced that he shouldn't light the fire? Shouldn't Kaathe want him to let you usurp the flame as ashen one? That seems to be necessary in order to subdue the fire (as seen in the dark age ending where the fire from the eclipse goes off)

Oh well, my head hurts

you need prince lothrics head on the throne while he just wants to hang out with his bro.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
One thing to note: he says "the mantle of lord interest me none" and "the fire-linking curse, the legacy of the lords, let it all fade into nothing." Homie wants boths sides to lose because they are interconnected and dependent on each other despite being potential competitors for usurpers

So maybe he became enlightened later and you're pretty much on the mark. When he says mantle of the lord, I think he means dark lord

Pretty bad rear end twist if its true

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 12, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

KingSlime posted:

Hmmmm is aldritch Rosaria's firstborn? His goopy body + the fact that she is still very much alive and not eaten give weight to this c r a z y thery
aldritch's body wasn't goopy from birth, he just became that way after eating a bunch of humans

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
firstborn in the sense that rosaria rebirthed him maybe? idk that one is definitely more vague and could or could not be true

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know it'd be cool if they had made weapon buff spells that acted as the bundles but lasted longer. Give you an option for a quick buff to use on builds that swap weapons often.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You know it'd be cool if they had made weapon buff spells that acted as the bundles but lasted longer. Give you an option for a quick buff to use on builds that swap weapons often.

Know what'd be even cooler? If the cathedral knight mace had that same buff they did, the one that leaves those cool magical mines?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bogart posted:

Dark Souls 1: Artorias.
Dark Souls 2: Fume Knight.
Dark Souls 3: Either Gael or Champion Gundyr.

Nuebot posted:

Know what'd be even cooler? If the cathedral knight mace had that same buff they did, the one that leaves those cool magical mines?

Okay, but what if instead I gave you ten more spells that were just a differently-shaped projectile?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Today's update made it so I can't sign in :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pro click indeed. Interesting that corruption is related to tree growth

Node posted:

I knew there'd be a second phase, I knew it. I can get Midir down to around 25%, but by that point, it usually does its pew pew laser breath barrage on the entire arena and kills me in one hit. How do you handle that attack? I've tried running towards it and attacking, trying to interrupt it, but I never make it in time.

Run to the left. He'll usually jump back to do it so you're far enough away from the sweeps. Simple running avoids the straight beams.