Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what even is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
looks like it's the update setup, only you've already updated so it's stuck?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Granite Octopus posted:

updated to windows 10 creators edition, was not disappointed

the legacy of windows pho lives on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what even is that

authentically digital

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

authentically digital
im genuinely wondering, didn't even see that screen upgrading

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im genuinely wondering, didn't even see that screen upgrading

Same

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
neither did i, it looks like the upgrade assistant got resized, which it is not meant to do, so the ui is hidden outside of the window border and there's no mechanism to scroll

odds are the elements are still tab selectable, so clicking in the window and mashing tab and enter until something happens is an option

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

neither did i, it looks like the upgrade assistant got resized, which it is not meant to do, so the ui is hidden outside of the window border and there's no mechanism to scroll

odds are the elements are still tab selectable, so clicking in the window and mashing tab and enter until something happens is an option
upgrade assistant's presence asides, authentic windows experience imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is it broken in a profoundly stupid way that should never be possible?

it's windows alright

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is it broken in a profoundly stupid way that should never be possible?

it's windows alright
i think german microsoft employee coded the astronomy software i once used. the proper startup procedure for it was to restart computer and software long enough until the software on startup yields a specfic error message. then you could just restart the software and use it to control the heavy machinery operating the observatory dome

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

there's no mechanism to scroll

turn your screen on, then use the touch screen to scroll

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think german microsoft employee coded the astronomy software i once used. the proper startup procedure for it was to restart computer and software long enough until the software on startup yields a specfic error message. then you could just restart the software and use it to control the heavy machinery operating the observatory dome

having used german CNC programming software, i'm certain this is more a "german" thing than a "microsoft" thing.

it's just digital sadism

pram
Jun 10, 2001
theres nothing wrong with that screenshot thats classic Metro

burning swine
May 26, 2004

looks normal to me

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
welcome to the sc

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Thank you for playing Machinery Commander!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
one of my users got this error, which is apparently ancient, but still a feature of microsoft office 2016 https://superuser.com/questions/1114966/chinese-letters-showing-up-when-replying-to-email-in-outlook

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I definitely enjoy my trips more when working

https://twitter.com/microsoftcanada/status/851932127662936064

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
one of the fixes for microsoft windows os x version 1607 is this one and i have no idea how it took them this long to fix but it was incredibly frustrating

quote:

Addressed an issue that was causing Windows Explorer to perform an endless, rapid refresh of a network drive that is mapped to a share, preventing users from performing tasks such as rename object.
looking forward to this fix not being applied to the creators update too

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they still haven't fixed the problem where my start menu and task bar become unusable for several seconds while it spins up my hard drives

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

THC posted:

they still haven't fixed the problem where my start menu and task bar become unusable for several seconds while it spins up my hard drives

this except my entire computer

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

THC posted:

wait like platter drives?

not even ghost shift solid state?

yeah windows isn't the problem

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my flacs and mkvs gotta live somewhere

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

no those hang too because waking up is hard to do

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I install the new windows 10 update and the first thing that happens is it opens edge for me. "gently caress this poo poo" so I try to close it and the window becomes unresponsive and hangs grayed out.

niiice

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

I install the new windows 10 update and the first thing that happens is it opens edge for me. "gently caress this poo poo" so I try to close it and the window becomes unresponsive and hangs grayed out.

niiice
it owns that even with a brand new browser they still haven't figured out how to interrupt whatever wants to load and close the process

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

wait like platter drives?

yeah windows isn't the problem

theres no reason to block the ui while the drives spin up. the index isn't on them and even if it was you could just not show the index until the drive is ready rather than locking the entire start menu.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

theres no reason to block the ui while the drives spin up. the index isn't on them and even if it was you could just not show the index until the drive is ready rather than locking the entire start menu.
remember when windows 10 came out and couldn't display the start menu if there were more than 512 programs+shortcuts+folders in there

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it displayed the start menu, just not all of the programs

i know this because i installed every single game i owned to see what would happen when i heard about it (and it was pretty easy to hit the limit since a lot of old games poo poo out a bunch of website shortcuts & uninstaller shortcuts)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

it owns that even with a brand new browser they still haven't figured out how to interrupt whatever wants to load and close the process

dude how else do you become and edgelord if they close right away???

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the more hilarious part about it was that the programs beyond the limit wouldn't get indexed in search

like, at all. anywhere.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i made this in the horrible new incarnation of mspaint. couldn't figure out how to punch the hole in the 'P'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
not sure what this means but it's pretty ominous

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

the issue is your operating system is a piece of poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

the issue is your operating system is a piece of poo poo
oh

e: i did the update and it got rid of my vpn client and broke some start menu shortcuts i made, which is cool thanks michaelsoft

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 12, 2017

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
creators trip report
- reset my default printer and browser
+ explorer no longer crashes when i click on the taskbar

:shrug:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

anthonypants posted:

"select this message to fix and finish updating"

Now there's a clear way to describe clicking the "Fix Issues" button.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 12, 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

i made this in the horrible new incarnation of mspaint. couldn't figure out how to punch the hole in the 'P'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

trip report: i took my trip early on my old 8" tablet and it was pretty good, but lol they still cant directly tell you how to delete windows.old after unbiddenly creating it, but will vaguely complain about it taking space in the new system optimization app

also edge with adblockers is surprisingly fast and especially on crappy cheap tablet mmc storage

• Locked thread