Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Hey. Idiots. Stop talking about poo poo I haven't gotten to yet or I'm locking the thread. There's a main Games thread if you want to talk about literally anything past where the LP is. Go there. The last like dozen posts are loving this up. Sheesh.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773002

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
For the Spoiling of Mankind :(

All this fishing talk reminds me of the fishing sidequest chain in Nier.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Might have to get mods to probate anyone who posts spoilers. It seems to be the only way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a TDI thread until he locks it down for a day or two

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I just hope to eventually see where the hell the other Sound Data items are, because damned if I know where to find them.

Do kind of wish the jukebox actually changed the music for the whole Resistance Camp (resetting to default BGM when you leave, of course), because IIRC the regular BGM fades back in pretty much as soon as you leave that corner.

And yeah, gently caress gathering Pure Water right in the ear.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Might as well, I have absolutely no idea what is and isnt considered a spoiler, but Im pretty sure there hasnt been a topic of discussion yet that hasnt had someone say that it was.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

MythosDragon posted:

Might as well, I have absolutely no idea what is and isnt considered a spoiler, but Im pretty sure there hasnt been a topic of discussion yet that hasnt had someone say that it was.

It's really simple. If TDI hasn't talked about it in the LP yet, it's a spoiler.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MythosDragon posted:

if you are somehow too dense to know what is and isn't a spoiler, then don't post

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MythosDragon posted:

Has DarkId shown it in the LP yet? If no, then shut the gently caress up about it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Employ that report button if you gotta, folks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Sandman posted:

I just hope to eventually see where the hell the other Sound Data items are, because damned if I know where to find them.

Posting the answer to the to this in the main games thread

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I really dont understand spoilers, I've never once heard any detail about a story and gone "gently caress now its ruined" I go "That sounds amazing, I have to see this for myself." or "Oh, thats a shame, I wouldnt enjoy that.". Seeing people rage and quit stuff over incomplete knowledge that doesnt have any meaning unless they experience it themselves in some way is really the most baffling behavior there is to me. But people are different, so I've been doing my best to be considerate of them. It's apparently not working though, since I have no clue what I said since I havnt mentioned anything about the story though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You mentioned a game mechanic by asking if TDI has talked about it and then went further into detail than necessary with the question. Said game mechanic would be eventually shown for a 100% LP so it was definitely spoilers you were posting, regardless of its connection to the plot.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MythosDragon posted:

I really dont understand spoilers, I've never once heard any detail about a story and gone "gently caress now its ruined" I go "That sounds amazing, I have to see this for myself." or "Oh, thats a shame, I wouldnt enjoy that.". Seeing people rage and quit stuff over incomplete knowledge that doesnt have any meaning unless they experience it themselves in some way is really the most baffling behavior there is to me. But people are different, so I've been doing my best to be considerate of them. It's apparently not working though, since I have no clue what I said since I havnt mentioned anything about the story though.

Here's an easy way to not spoil things, whether or not you understand the idea of people enjoying being surprised: Don't Post.

Has Id talked about it (whether "it" is a plot point, a character, a mission, an item, a mechanic, a piece of backstory, etc.) yet? If so, feel free to chat about it. If not, just...don't post about it.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Hold up, Game mechanics can be spoilers now? Thats so out there, I never even once considered that possibility. I was frustrated with money before I did it, so I thought I was helping people by mentioning that. On the 2nd part I was legitimately asking the question, because the mechanic NPC said you could do it, I just wasnt sure if it was okay to mention exactly what you could get.

I guess I'll go edit that out then now that I understand.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Cool it!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 12, 2017

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Alright. Let's just simmer it. I'm not actually mad at anyone for jumping ahead of the LP. I'm just putting the kibosh on that early because this ain't my first rodeo and this can go REAL wrong. There's no need to yell at anyone if they're not certain and are overzealous about junk. If it's not something that's been in the LP yet, just keep it to yourself. I don't care about talking about the finer points of the combat system. We've touched on that. But I ain't said dick about fishing so maybe don't go there yet. Just take anything ahead of the LP to the Games thread. I'd appreciate that.

There's a whole lot of this game left. Let's pace ourselves and try to get along here. It's literally like 90 minutes into the game... :unsmith:

Anyway, there will be another update later tonight. Also, I've been doing a weekly Twin Peaks watching stream with some folks who'd never seen it Tuesdays at 10:00 PM EDT if that's your kinda thing. It's in the middle of the poo poo part of Season 2 and I've had a bad day and will be drinking. But you're free to stop by for that over here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/2a7ywrawYVH

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I apologize for that. I'll do my best to not mention any gameplay stuff ahead of time from now on now that I know.

To make this post a bit more meaningful, when I first saw 4th wall destroying tutorial lady, I thought she was wearing Emil and I was horrified. Then I was disappointed when it was just a scrap bucket's head. Anyone else?

Tazgirl18992
Aug 15, 2015

I'd love to watch your stream, but that's around 4am for me and I need to sleep. :suicide:

Is there any way to watch it after?

Tazgirl18992 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 12, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
What episode are you guys on? Important if I need to start binging to catch up.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

To make this post a bit more meaningful, when I first saw 4th wall destroying tutorial lady, I thought she was wearing Emil and I was horrified. Then I was disappointed when it was just a scrap bucket's head. Anyone else?

Yeah after seeing this character pop up, I thought it was something of a self insert/nod to Yoko Taro himself, considering how he shows himself 'in public'. After seeing shes a tutorial lady, apparently, who has no issues with destroying the 4th wall, I figured I wasn't too far off. But she's a lady for whatever reason. Curious what the other function she has later that ID alluded to.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I really need to get around to watching Twin Peaks one of these days

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

I really need to get around to watching Twin Peaks one of these days

It's on Netflix. It's surprising really goddamn good.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

MythosDragon posted:

I thought the same thing seeing her in the screenshots in the thread. (I don't have the game myself.) Despite the narrative prepping us for the garbagebot head, it still looked a bit like Emil As Worn By Yoko Taro.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

idonotlikepeas posted:

I thought the same thing seeing her in the screenshots in the thread. (I don't have the game myself.) Despite the narrative prepping us for the garbagebot head, it still looked a bit like Emil As Worn By Yoko Taro.

Is that why she's so weird? Because she's Taro Yoko's cute girl self-insert? Suddenly it all makes sense...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
One of the really cool things about this game that isn't so apparent in this format is how completely Platinum have managed to apply their dynamic music schtick they've been toying with since Revengeance. That game only really employed it for boss fights - extremely loving well, but in limited scope all the same. NieR: Automata has it basically everywhere. It doesn't seem to transition between "verses" like Revengeance did, but hub areas have like five or six different tracks that fade in and out as you wander around. They've done an excellent job of matching the tracks to the atmospheres of the areas they play in (or don't), and pretty much any given area has at least one dynamic track. The official soundtrack (don't search it, thar be spoilers) does an admirable job of presenting all of this as a bunch of mixes you can listen to, but we're rapidly reaching the point where many game OSTs require a mixing deck to properly appreciate.

Platinum's had one of the most effecive sound teams in all of videogames since at least Okami, and they can crank out five-disc OSTs full of themes and leitmotifs and feeling and variety at seemingly moments' notice and minimal budget. That last one has been becoming less and less of a thing as time has gone on (see again, Revengeance), and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving team.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Okami soundtrack is like four-rear end hours long and it's amazing.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

bman in 2288 posted:

What episode are you guys on? Important if I need to start binging to catch up.

Tonight is Episode 12-14 of Season 2.

Also the update will be late tonight because I drank a bunch and finished Mob Psycho 100 with a friend. :v:

Fedule posted:

One of the really cool things about this game that isn't so apparent in this format is how completely Platinum have managed to apply their dynamic music schtick they've been toying with since Revengeance. That game only really employed it for boss fights - extremely loving well, but in limited scope all the same. NieR: Automata has it basically everywhere. It doesn't seem to transition between "verses" like Revengeance did, but hub areas have like five or six different tracks that fade in and out as you wander around. They've done an excellent job of matching the tracks to the atmospheres of the areas they play in (or don't), and pretty much any given area has at least one dynamic track. The official soundtrack (don't search it, thar be spoilers) does an admirable job of presenting all of this as a bunch of mixes you can listen to, but we're rapidly reaching the point where many game OSTs require a mixing deck to properly appreciate.

Platinum's had one of the most effecive sound teams in all of videogames since at least Okami, and they can crank out five-disc OSTs full of themes and leitmotifs and feeling and variety at seemingly moments' notice and minimal budget. That last one has been becoming less and less of a thing as time has gone on (see again, Revengeance), and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving team.

The original Nier also did a poo poo load of layering music tracks dynamically and it was really good. It's bizarre how much Platinum and the remnants of Cavia meshed extremely well in a lot of ways.

Also YEAH, don't look up the game's OST if you don't want spoilers. Also for the love of god, don't look up the trophies/achievements. Or Steam Cards. They're all full of spoilers to a ridiculous extent.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 12, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fedule posted:

One of the really cool things about this game that isn't so apparent in this format is how completely Platinum have managed to apply their dynamic music schtick they've been toying with since Revengeance.

God yes. The vocal fade in, the quite to dynamic transitions, everything! There is only one part that I had a problem with but we will get to that. Even that wasn't bad, it just had the vocals not really fade in correctly for me.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Tonight is Episode 12-14 of Season 2.

Also the update will be late tonight because I drank a bunch and finished Mob Psycho 100 with a friend. :v:

Awesome, I just finished episode 11 the other day.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Okami soundtrack is like four-rear end hours long and it's amazing.

218* tracks, 5 hours 39 minutes.

*Something like 10 or 11 longer tracks are cut in half at seemingly arbitrary points and I have no idea why. It's completely seamless if you play the tracks in order; the only thing this accomplishes is loving with people who use shuffle.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Dark Id posted:

Or Steam Cards. They're all full of spoilers to a ridiculous extent.

Boy is that true. I couldn't play for a week while I repaired my PC but I leave a card idler going while I'm at work. Came home to a face full of "GOD DAMNIT".

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

Also YEAH, don't look up the game's OST if you don't want spoilers.

This is a shame because I'm playing the game now and I really want the soundtrack. Oh well, I can wait and get it later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Dark Id posted:

The original Nier also did a poo poo load of layering music tracks dynamically and it was really good. It's bizarre how much Platinum and the remnants of Cavia meshed extremely well in a lot of ways.

I genuinely hope they team up more. Even if they don't do more drakengard or nier games. They could make a brand new IP about whatever and I think they'd make an excellent team up if Automata is anything to go by. Platinum definitely tempers the crazy yoko taro-ness of the gameplay without stepping on it too much.

I can't help but feel like the sleeping in beds thing combined with no auto-saves was supposed to be the original idea for saving, but someone stepped in and realized how bad that would be for the game and did the save point thing.

Speaking of Platinum though; Bayonetta is on Steam now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely hope they team up more. Even if they don't do more drakengard or nier games.

Yoko and Okabe are also together on that new mobile game. They're pretty much joined at the hip at this point.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Tae posted:

Yoko and Okabe are also together on that new mobile game. They're pretty much joined at the hip at this point.

Don't spoil the secret super boss, Tae.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is somebody going to try and sell 2B an OS update that she'll need to take out her chip to install? I can kind of see that happening at some point.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

The Dark Id posted:

Also YEAH, don't look up the game's OST if you don't want spoilers. Also for the love of god, don't look up the trophies/achievements. Or Steam Cards. They're all full of spoilers to a ridiculous extent.

Or the opening movie...

Damnit Yoko Taro...

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of Platinum though; Bayonetta is on Steam now.
I now own 4 copies of Bayonetta...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
One of these days, someone's going to put out a game that spoils itself. Like, not even 'here's a bunch of largely context-less cutscene bits' or 'in seven days, the world will end'. Straight up 'this is the plot of the game, take this multiple-choice quiz to prove you read and remembered it, once you pass you can play the game'. Or, slightly more realistically, have the game be narrated by one of the characters after the fact and have them say stuff like 'at the time we had no idea that the orphan was a shapeshifting assassin' or 'nice looking, isn't she? We've been married for five years now.' Just completely gut any possibility of surprise at a plot point.

• Locked thread