Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Duh, it needs to be Elfgames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Games Played On Tables Instead Of Computers Except For The Ones Being Played On Virtual Tables Simulated On Computers

e: And Also Some Games Are Computer Games Being Simulated In Table Form Possibly Also On Virtual Tables Simulated On Computers

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 11, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

This is also pretty good.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Man, I still have this and all of the supplements for it. White Wolf really had no idea how to deal with Japanese fighting game characters, but in some ways that just made it even more amazing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Street Fighter has some serious balance issues, so it's only the best-balanced White Wolf game by a significant margin rather than an overwhelming one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's a surprisingly okay game as long as you ignore the supplements, which are a tire fire even by White Wolf supplement standards.

Edit: wait did I type "White Wolf" and "standards" in the same sentence, somehow? Whups!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 11, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's a surprisingly okay game as long as you ignore the supplements, which are a tire fire even by White Wolf supplement standards.

aren't the players guide styles and moves okay, it's just the weird elemental/animal hybrid stuff that's complete nonsense

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

She's clearly kicking him in the upper thigh. Her boot is completely on the other side of his pelvis.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Check out the roster of SFV including recent dlc ported to this game by insane Brazilians

http://www.sfrpg.com.br/post/street-fighter-5

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

aren't the players guide styles and moves okay, it's just the weird elemental/animal hybrid stuff that's complete nonsense

Eh, probably? Cartwheel Kick is one of the most broken moves in the game, tho.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Unbalanced Styles and Maneuvers are very easy to house rule, is the thing. The fundamental problems are:

1. The system rewards specialization. There's no good reason to build a character who can punch, kick, block, jump, grapple, and toss fireballs. There are enough maneuvers that a character that does nothing but kick, block, and jump is viable and even preferable.

2. You can't build a character around Focus for a number of reasons, but chiefly because there are no entry-level Focus Maneuvers. (You actually can build a one-trick pony who has Improved Fireball at character creation and nothing else, but that's obviously a crap idea.)

3. The game doesn't much support doing anything outside of combat, or even different types of combat, so your players will only think of their PCs in terms of who is best in a one-on-one street fight.

Edit: Also, yes, the rules for Cyborgs, Elementals, and Animal Hybrids are loving crazy and they should be banned outright. It seems like those things were added just to imitate stuff from other fighting games, but the timeline isn't quite right.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 11, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Plutonis posted:

Check out the roster of SFV including recent dlc ported to this game by insane Brazilians

http://www.sfrpg.com.br/post/street-fighter-5

Holy poo poo I know a semi-pro fightin game player who will poo poo himself over this, thanks Friend Plute.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

:yeah:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FRIEND COMPUTER posted:

Also considering dropping the Alpha Complex name and going back to Trad Games :v:

Change it to "Former Home of Grogs.txt" I mean, what will attract posters more than the thing this forum was known for outside of SA?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 11, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Holy poo poo I know a semi-pro fightin game player who will poo poo himself over this, thanks Friend Plute.

A lot of attack and combo names were kept on English too I guess if you pick an English sheet you can easily copy and translate

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

1. The system rewards specialization. There's no good reason to build a character who can punch, kick, block, jump, grapple, and toss fireballs. There are enough maneuvers that a character that does nothing but kick, block, and jump is viable and even preferable.

Well, Balrog doesn't know what feet are and is one of the most broken Super Turbo characters, so at least it's partially true to the source material. :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Boxing is a crap style (because it's not from the Mysterious Orient :rolleyes: or associated with a popular character), so other styles are actually better if you want a punchmaster.

But just going off of memory, Balrog has Punch 7 and some crazy good combos. That's another problem with the World Warriors: their combos are based on their recognizable combos from the video game, which don't always make sense in the game.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I vote Elfgames

barring that, Grognards In Denial

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Reene posted:

barring that, Grognards In Denial

I vote for this.

Halloween Jack posted:

Boxing is a crap style (because it's not from the Mysterious Orient :rolleyes: or associated with a popular character), so other styles are actually better if you want a punchmaster.

Clearly they should have had prescience about Dudley.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If the intention is get get new people to see the name and say "huh, I remember playing D&D/Risk 15 years ago, I wonder what it's like now?" then something simple like "Tabletop RPGs and Modern Board Games" would probably be the best bet. Otherwise whatever meme works I guess.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

If the intention is get get new people to see the name and say "huh, I remember playing D&D/Risk 15 years ago, I wonder what it's like now?" then something simple like "Tabletop RPGs and Modern Board Games" would probably be the best bet. Otherwise whatever meme works I guess.

This.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Just "Tabletop Games" would pretty much communicate the forum's subject.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Well, Balrog doesn't know what feet are and is one of the most broken Super Turbo characters, so at least it's partially true to the source material. :v:

I remember in my local arcade where people didn't take Balrog seriously and picking him up and people being like "Why am I losing to Balrog?!" once I realized he had good priority and hit like a truck.

Or, more accurately, trucks hit like Balrog.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Countblanc posted:

Yes, "Whatever Meme Works" gets my vote.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I remember in my local arcade where people didn't take Balrog seriously and picking him up and people being like "Why am I losing to Balrog?!" once I realized he had good priority and hit like a truck.

Or, more accurately, trucks hit like Balrog.
You know how you can set up that crazy Turn Punch that wipes out half their health while doing other moves? That's in the tabletop game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Halloween Jack posted:

You know how you can set up that crazy Turn Punch that wipes out half their health while doing other moves? That's in the tabletop game.

Does your character announce how many seconds you were charging it for when you unleash it?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Does your character announce how many seconds you were charging it for when you unleash it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcz1KUXGZM

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

DocBubonic posted:

Yes, "Whatever Meme Works" gets my vote.

Count Strahd von Zarovich's Mean Meme Machine it is, thanks citizens

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
After playing a lot of it, I've been awfully tempted to run a Horizon Zero Dawn game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FRIEND COMPUTER posted:

Count Strahd von Zarovich's Mean Meme Machine it is, thanks citizens

Save that one for Halloween.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Fuego Fish posted:

After playing a lot of it, I've been awfully tempted to run a Horizon Zero Dawn game.

Which system were you thinking of using?

I haven't played it, but the premise sort of tickles something in the "tabletop sensibilities" part of my brain.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

P.d0t posted:

Which system were you thinking of using?

I haven't played it, but the premise sort of tickles something in the "tabletop sensibilities" part of my brain.

That's the thing, I honestly have no idea. At the core of the video game, it's all about stealthy, tactical take-downs of creatures many times your size and strength. You assess their weak points, systematically disable them, and then take them apart (literally) with ropes, arrows, a few bombs and the occasional jab of the spear. It's a kind of combat that I honestly haven't seen done in tabletop.

The best tactical combat in tabletop remains D&D 4e, but even then it'd require some serious tweaks and a few hand-wavey bits. But that sorta introduces a new issue, which is "Fuego doesn't want to make battle maps all Goddamn day" and that's a dealbreaker.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

That's the thing, I honestly have no idea. At the core of the video game, it's all about stealthy, tactical take-downs of creatures many times your size and strength. You assess their weak points, systematically disable them, and then take them apart (literally) with ropes, arrows, a few bombs and the occasional jab of the spear. It's a kind of combat that I honestly haven't seen done in tabletop.

The best tactical combat in tabletop remains D&D 4e, but even then it'd require some serious tweaks and a few hand-wavey bits. But that sorta introduces a new issue, which is "Fuego doesn't want to make battle maps all Goddamn day" and that's a dealbreaker.

I hate hate hate to self-promote on SA, but you could re-fluff BLACK SEVEN so the guards are instead creature weak points and the traits are more setting-appropriate? It's pretty much set up to do Deus Ex/Metal Gear Solid already, and from your description of what you want it might do what you want without the need for battle maps.

If I weren't psychotically busy right now I'd read up more and hack it to do exactly what you want; right now it may take me a couple of weeks.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Self-promote all you like, I keep telling people to buy my books.

p.s. buy my books

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fuego Fish posted:

p.s. buy my books

Buy Fuego's books? I don't know, they are books.

(Just kidding, I like Fuego's books)

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Fuego Fish posted:

p.s. buy my books

I haven't got around to H:ZD yet (too busy with Persona) but if self-promotion's acceptable I've seen a bunch of people talking about using Legacy: Life Among the Ruins to play H:ZD-inspired games of post-apocalyptic robo-dinosaur hunting. It's an Apocalypse World-powered game with a focus on families of survivors adapting to the new world, and a robot-dinosaur infested wasteland would plug straight in with no hacking required. One of the character playbooks - the Hunter - can even start with a fancy bow for taking down the monsters of the wasteland, and has abilities to identify weaknesses in targets and slice them away before closing in for the kill. Its combat system isn't in-depth - fights are resolved with a single roll, for the most part - but it's got a focus on avoiding danger until you get yourself into a position where your weapons are effective against the enemy, then taking them down. If you're interested, I recently posted an example of character-level play here.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
That's the thing, though. H:ZD is so post-apocalypse that it's by no means a wasteland. It's a thriving world that just happens to have giant robots as an integral part of that ecosystem. Humanity has civilisation, admittedly somewhere around the iron age (it's hard to tell when they're adapting machine-parts into weapons), but enough that there's cities and culture, and people who don't have to fight robots to survive.

A large chunk of the game's narrative revolves around human concerns and history. You deal with the aftermath of a civil war, and the social upheaval that has come with it, along with tribal politics and scholars digging up the Old World to find answers. That's what makes the setting so engaging, it's not just a one-trick pony. Even if that trick is hunting giant robots.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Fuego Fish posted:

That's the thing, though. H:ZD is so post-apocalypse that it's by no means a wasteland. It's a thriving world that just happens to have giant robots as an integral part of that ecosystem. Humanity has civilisation, admittedly somewhere around the iron age (it's hard to tell when they're adapting machine-parts into weapons), but enough that there's cities and culture, and people who don't have to fight robots to survive.

A large chunk of the game's narrative revolves around human concerns and history. You deal with the aftermath of a civil war, and the social upheaval that has come with it, along with tribal politics and scholars digging up the Old World to find answers. That's what makes the setting so engaging, it's not just a one-trick pony. Even if that trick is hunting giant robots.

I focused on the combat because you called that out as particularly cool, but there's a lot of this in Legacy too - the game is mainly about how the different factions of survivors rebuild and adapt to the new world over generations, and dealing with your homeland's factions and getting their resources for your family is just as big a deal as avoiding the hazards of the wasteland.

Still, that's enough tooting of my own horn :toot:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There has to be some system out there actually designed for playing Shadow of the Colossus / Horizon Dawn Zero / etc. "Hunting giant monsters" is just too obvious of a niche to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There has to be some system out there actually designed for playing Shadow of the Colossus / Horizon Dawn Zero / etc. "Hunting giant monsters" is just too obvious of a niche to pass up.

This gets discussed every few months. It doesn't really exist cause Dark Souls/Monster Hunter/other pattern recognition based action games don't translate well into turn based tabletop games.

• Locked thread