Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Veritek83 posted:

Picked up a whole brisket at the butcher today to do on the PBC for a family barbecue on Sunday.

I've read & watched a couple of PBC recipes & videos, so I think I'm set, but any suggestions on rub composition would be appreciated. Also any general advice on a piece of meat this serious.

Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub or any other beef rub you like will be great. If you use BBBR ensure your guests are okay with a little bit of heat. A classic central Texas-style "Dalmatian" rub (just salt and pepper) is also excellent especially for your first cook. Really, whatever you think will be good, that's the beauty of BBQ. I usually use regular yellow mustard as a rub binder but I'm seeing a lot of guys using Worcestershire sauce on beef due to some perceived flavour boost. I will try that soon, I just bought 12lbs of beef back ribs.

IMO the PBC is a brisket machine, despite its slightly higher-than-classic-brisket-cook temps. You can lower it with a bit of foil in a vent hole or two, but watch the pit temp, I've been bringing mine down to about 260 with this. My last brisket point was amazing, after a few tweaks.

Whatever you do, DOUBLE OR TRIPLE HOOK THE BRISKET. Unless you're using the grate, in which case, whatever.

BritishRacingGreen posted:

I smoked a boneless leg of lamb during a cookout I had last Sunday, and it was BY FAR AND AWAY the best lamb I've ever had. I used PBC Beef & Game rub, which worked perfectly with lamb. (PBC owner claims he made that rub for lamb, and I'm not surprised)

It pretty much melts in your mouth. So amazing.

What temperature did you take the lamb to? My PBC didn't come with any of the rubs, but came with a free cover instead. I wasn't upset. Did you use any wood for smoke? Kingsford charcoal? Details please!

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I start with a dalmatian rub base and add a little bit here and there, mostly some garlic powder and some celery salt. Came out delicious.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper

That should do it for a brisket that size. Seriously, every good brisket place in Central Texas just uses salt, pepper and oak. I used to use a lower sugar version of magic dust, and then spent years tailoring it bit by bit, then the first time I did just a ton of salt and pepper, it was so much better than anything I had done previously.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
This is all great. Appreciate the advice. Think I'm just gonna go salt & pepper this first time and see how it goes. Should be the first of many briskets.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

When I do dalmatian rub i use

3 parts salt
2 parts pepper
1 part garlic

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I've found that simple is best. Salt, pepper and brown sugar. No need for complexity or overwhelming the meaty taste of the meat you are eating.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fog Tripper posted:

I've found that simple is best. Salt, pepper and brown sugar. No need for complexity or overwhelming the meaty taste of the meat you are eating.

Pretty much.

When I smoke for first-timers, I usually offer them two or three homemade bbq sauces on the side for some other spice options. I don't really go hardcore puritan on anyone that I'm trying to introduce to slow-cooked meat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've done briskets before, and personally I like fancy rubs on mine, but simple rubs are great too. That's just me though. There's nothing wrong with getting a little creative with your rub if you want to add different flavors to the meat.

For what it's worth, a lot of the well-known pros will go with something simple like a salt and pepper rub. I think the guys at Franklin BBQ do that. I've also heard of people having luck with coffee rubs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have favorite rubs, but I don't think I've ever had a bad rub. It's fun to play with because it's so low-stakes. When I'm cooking for groups, I often split racks of ribs in half and do a different rub on each half, then give everyone one rib with each rub and make them pick favorites. It sounds a little autistic, but it's fun for everyone, and it's always all over the place.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Going back briefly to pellet smoker chat, I just found out from a quick glance at Amazon that apparently Char-Griller also makes a pellet grill/smoker. Unfortunately it has VERY mixed reviews – about half 5-star and half 1-star – due to (A) having failure-prone electrical components, and (B) the company being terrible about replacing said components. A real shame, because the Char-Griller puts out almost twice the BTUs that a Traegar pellet grill does (36,000 vs 19,500), and might even be able to go past 500 degrees.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that. My first smoker was a Char-Griller and I loved it, so I really like Char-Griller as a brand.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Isn't BTU just a measure of fuel consumption and not really the heat output with grills? Also since it's Char-Griller I bet those numbers are very, very optimistic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A BTU is the amount of energy required to heat a pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.

Take that, metric-nerds. :smuggo:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yeah I took a closer look at the photo and it looks like the hottest it gets is about 400. That sucks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fog Tripper posted:

What a lot of people forget is that competition BBQ, where most of these fancy rubs really shine, is about judges eating a couple bites of meat and forming a snap judgment. You want to play the format, and pack as much flavor into that few bites of meat as you possibly can, which is why you have people obsessing over perfect spice blends and what MSG gives the most pleasing umami zap. But if you're cooking for people to eat a meal, that's actually a really overwhelming flavor profile to eat half a pound of. It's extremely important to be mindful of how your meat is going to be consumed.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

It's extremely important to be mindful of how your meat is going to be consumed.

myteenageyears.txt

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Vulture Culture posted:

What a lot of people forget is that competition BBQ, where most of these fancy rubs really shine, is about judges eating a couple bites of meat and forming a snap judgment. You want to play the format, and pack as much flavor into that few bites of meat as you possibly can, which is why you have people obsessing over perfect spice blends and what MSG gives the most pleasing umami zap. But if you're cooking for people to eat a meal, that's actually a really overwhelming flavor profile to eat half a pound of. It's extremely important to be mindful of how your meat is going to be consumed.

Agreed on all points. One doesn't want to consume so much spice that their asses explode in molten agony.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Veritek83 posted:

Also any general advice on a piece of meat this serious.

Salt and pepper. I did these yesterday:

Turned out quite well.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I got a good chunk of corned beef I need a way to get rid of. What's a good recipe for making it into pastrami?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

WE SLOW COOKING MEAT IN HERE?!?!?!?!?!

9 hours, got it at 295 the whole way, pork butt bone in, only opened it to wrap it in tin foil an hour from finish.

Pulled like a dream

Gonna sprinkle some ACV and crushed red pepper (like god intended) and put it on a bun with some cole slaw.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

ChaseSP posted:

I got a good chunk of corned beef I need a way to get rid of. What's a good recipe for making it into pastrami?

If it's already corned, just apply pepper and coriander and smoke it. Toasted and ground whole coriander seed is preferable.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

McSpankWich posted:

If it's already corned, just apply pepper and coriander and smoke it. Toasted and ground whole coriander seed is preferable.

I was just thinking pepper. Just unsure on how long to smoke it cause normally I just do ribs since it's pretty easy and cheap around here.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
For brisket and corned beef, shoot for an internal temp between 200°F and 210°F. For brisket they recommend waiting to slice until it's cooled back to 140°F.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So went for my first full packer on Sunday, a Prime 10 pounder from Costco at $3/lb. Put it in my 22" WSM around 4:30am over Kingsford Blue and hickory chunks setup as a fuse. Used Meathead's BBBR on it the night before, and put it straight from the fridge onto the smoker while it was still coming to temp (around 180). Stabilized around 225-230 for the first few hours and stayed sweet until the sun started to hit it around 10am, then I had to choke it down to keep the temp low. Partway progress:

Crutched it at 165 after it hit the stall. After that though, for the first time in my life, the smoker actually went faster than I planned for, which was actually inconvenient because we were still hanging siding on the house when it hit 200 at 3:45. Pulled it off and threw it in a beer cooler with towels for what ended up being 3 1/2 hours (hey, Hardie Panel siding is heavy alright?) - by the time we were cleaned up and ready to eat it had only dropped to 169. First time slicing a packer, so I whiffed the separating of the point and the flat at first, but pretty quickly figured it all out. Tasty pretty drat good, and the meat was just about right. Held up under it's own weight, but pulled apart with minimal effort. Fat cap was fluffy as a cloud. Definitely need to do another now. :toot:

How do people handle brisket leftovers? I only did a 10 pounder between four hungry people, so not a whole ton was leftover, but I took the chance and vacuum sealed and froze the few servings left - figuring I could re-heat them in with the immersion circulator as leftovers later in the week. Are there better options for brisket?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There's tons you can do with brisket leftovers. My favorite is a hash with the crispier parts the next morning

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Chili. Brisket chili is awesome but really anything you want really.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ROJO posted:

How do people handle brisket leftovers? I only did a 10 pounder between four hungry people, so not a whole ton was leftover, but I took the chance and vacuum sealed and froze the few servings left - figuring I could re-heat them in with the immersion circulator as leftovers later in the week. Are there better options for brisket?
Yeah, if you want to eat your leftovers quickly, a good option is to refrigerate, then foil and reheat in the oven at <225F. You can optionally slice it beforehand -- it will cook quicker and more evenly, but you'll have more moisture loss (if your oven has a convection setting, it will go even further in keeping it from drying out). If you want to keep it for a month, vacuum sealing and the immersion circulator are a good option. Besides the immersion circulator, you can also thaw in the fridge, then reheat by putting the freezer bag in boiling water. If you did a good job of squeezing the air out, and your meat isn't freezer burned, the bark should keep just fine.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

couldcareless posted:

There's tons you can do with brisket leftovers. My favorite is a hash with the crispier parts the next morning

Brisket and/or rib omelettes the next morning are tits.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Gonna second hash, mix it with mac n cheese, just reheat it and of course you can never go wrong with tacos. Anything is great.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hell yeah smoking season is back! So far I've done a quick hot smoke of some clams with some butter mixed with broth and some white whine (it was totally put together on a whim but it was pretty good), and some St Louis ribs using Meathead's recipe as always.

My rib cook ended up burning through all its fuel way faster than I expected, as I'm trying to transition away from the fuse method because I don't like the variable direct heat from the meat being near the coals, so the range was 220ºF-260ºF for the first few hours, the fuel burned out, and while I was restoking it it was in the 140-170 range for a couple hours and it extended the cook. Somehow half of one rack was overcooked, half of one rack was undercooked, and one whole rack was cooked correctly.

I finally gave in and picked up a Slow 'n Sear and a decent leave in digital thermometer (Thermoworks Smoke) for my 22" Kettle. I've been doing this for years now but my ribs still aren't to the standard I managed on my first cook on the kettle some 3-4 years ago. I think it's because my temperature control sucks, so hopefully the Slow n Sear will help me manage that better. I also picked up some binder clips because my kettle lid was billowing out smoke that was making temperature control more difficult.

Anyway looking forward to all the pics and information in the thread this spring/summer.

This looks amazing.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Hell yeah smoking season is back!

When is it not smoking season, you heathen?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Seriously, BBQ is even better when it's cold out. Not that we ever experience cold here in Florida.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Thinking of doing some smoked pork babyback ribs this weekend. I've done it before and it came out OK, but I would like to make it drat tasty this time. Thoughts/tips/temps?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Bottom Liner posted:

Seriously, BBQ is even better when it's cold out. Not that we ever experience cold here in Florida.

As long as the wind is not blowing and the sun is out I've had success all the way down to -3F.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Fog Tripper posted:

When is it not smoking season, you heathen?

Thought I might catch some slack for that - I'm thinking of going full time this year. Temp control without a controller with a charcoal grill sucks when it's cold outside though. Plus it gets windy as hell out here in poor weather so opening the lid usually means ash going everywhere and temperature flares (I'm pretty sure that was part of the reason my last rib cook was so off).

Spudalicious posted:

Thinking of doing some smoked pork babyback ribs this weekend. I've done it before and it came out OK, but I would like to make it drat tasty this time. Thoughts/tips/temps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTvBjWioYY

He does a rack of baby backs in this video which may prove helpful.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I look forward to windy days to clean the ash out. :smug:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Fog Tripper posted:

I look forward to windy days to clean the ash out. :smug:

Well I like your tenacity. I'd better step up my game :). I mean I'm basically depriving my family of a good meal otherwise.

I think I'm going to try my first brisket sometime this week, using the drippings in some smoked beans.

e: Spudalicious the video doesn't mention it, but many try to aim for 225. Some do 270. I can attest that 225 ribs for an appropriate amount of time, with a little bit of prep like in the the video, is better than many competition style ribs I've eaten.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Well I like your tenacity. I'd better step up my game :). I mean I'm basically depriving my family of a good meal otherwise.

I think I'm going to try my first brisket sometime this week, using the drippings in some smoked beans.

e: Spudalicious the video doesn't mention it, but many try to aim for 225. Some do 270. I can attest that 225 ribs for an appropriate amount of time, with a little bit of prep like in the the video, is better than many competition style ribs I've eaten.

Yeah, the video was good, I like explanations that involve at least a bit of logic/sciencey poo poo. One thing they said is that it's not reliable to use a target temperature but instead use a bend/crack test to see if the bark cracks. This seems horribly prone to overcooking, one thing people said about my ribs before was that it was a bit too tender (I thought they were slightly too much falling apart, but it was still good)

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Pics from babby's first PBC brisket:

I probably over trimmed the flat- came out a bit drier than I'd have liked, but overall it was great and went over very very well with the extended fam.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I bought a flat cut brisket from Costco today. I'm thinking of cooking it low and slow and basting it with a teriyaki glaze for lunches this week.

Also, cross posting this:
Grilling hotdogs (the good Costco ones, too) for the family tomorrow for egg dyeing. I want to caramelize some onions on the grill to go with them. What's the best way to go about it?
Wife isn't cooking, she'll be managing the little ones while I grill, and I don't want to be running back and forth from the stove to the grill.
I'm thinking of putting a cast iron skillet down on the coals directly and letting the onions cook while the hot dogs cook above. 
(I also want to sneak some chili on there too to make chili dogs...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Veritek83 posted:

For brisket and corned beef, shoot for an internal temp between 200°F and 210°F. For brisket they recommend waiting to slice until it's cooled back to 140°F.

At 225? Sounds like it wouldn't get hot ekoigh.