Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Khablam posted:

Chance of him finishing monaco hasn't been affected though?

:drat:

True though. :smith:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

When he won the Monaco Grand Prix of course

ho ho ho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He just wants to remember what it feels like to win finish a race.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

enri posted:

The best bit of Monaco is that it looks kinda nice, plus hot posh totty in those rooftop swimming pools. But gently caress the racing.

So as a Brit, how do I go about watching Indy?

BT Sport.

Or :files:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Baron Corbyn posted:

Go find the nearest roundabout and sit there for 5 hours to replicate the experience.

sounds... thrilling :ohdear:

Roller Coast Guard posted:

BT Sport.

Or :files:

Curses, OK cool... ta :v:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

enri posted:

It's easily the second most entertaining motor race in the world.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alonso at the Indy 500 rules and I kinda want to go to it now

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

wicka posted:

Dare I ask what you consider to be the *most* entertaining? (Obviously the answer is Formula E)

Just out of curiosity, not snarkiness :v:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

enri posted:

He's probably never watched it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

enri posted:

Dare I ask what you consider to be the *most* entertaining? (Obviously the answer is Formula E)

Just out of curiosity, not snarkiness :v:

24 Hours of Daytona

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

wicka posted:

Here's someone who's never seen banger racing or rallycross...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So if his engine fails at the indy 500 does he just retire?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Monaco has been poo poo for years, though I'm actually quite hopeful that the longer wheelbase (esp. Merc) adds some drama to it this year. Traffic jam at the hairpin!

But seriously:

quote:

Alonso, 35, will race for the Honda-powered Andretti team on 28 May, and the car will be branded a McLaren.

Ahahaha, as if that car will make it 5 laps. Even having McLaren's name on the car is enough to doom it to failure, but with a Honda engine too?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Honda makes very good non-F1 engines

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's worth noting that in the last IndyCar race, at Long Beach, every single Honda-powered Andretti car retired.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Honda makes very good non-F1 engines

Oh I get that, I know the US Honda is totally different to the Japanese Honda too, it's more the fact that it's Alonso driving a McLaren-branded, Honda-powered car. Some forces are more powerful than mere physics.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh ok sorry now I am the joke ruiner guy.

I can't imagine the poo poo fit Bernie would be having over this.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Oh ok sorry now I am the joke ruiner guy.

I can't imagine the poo poo fit Bernie would be having over this.

Bernie wouldn't be having a poo poo fit because F1 is the only racing series on planet earth?

Remember how Baku taking place 30 minutes after le mans was fine because no one watches le mans?

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 12, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bernie is probably rolling over in his grave over this.

He's gonna be sore in morning.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So Jenson for Monaco then? Or is Matsushita qualified enough to race in F1?(He's a Honda guy with works backing).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

It's worth noting that in the last IndyCar race, at Long Beach, every single Honda-powered Andretti car retired.

It's also worth noting that the Honda is the best engine in that series.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Watch Our Jense start a loving thread war

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

So Jenson for Monaco then? Or is Matsushita qualified enough to race in F1?(He's a Honda guy with works backing).

WIth the conditioning even the younger guys are saying you need to finish a race in these cars, i don't think you can pull grampa jense out of retirement for a single race.

e: scratch that, he can do 15 or whatever laps until the electrical failure.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think having Honda backing right now is a solid way to end your career before it starts. They're not exactly in a position to push their driver into the team. "Let him race or we'll stop making you engines and you'll have to go back to Mercedes!"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

WIth the conditioning even the younger guys are saying you need to finish a race in these cars, i don't think you can pull grampa jense out of retirement for a single race.

Button just ran an triathlon so I'm sure he would be fine

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
mcalren should just run 1 car

0 are gonna finish anyway no matter how many start

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Put Gio into the seat, make an online competition where you have to chose which happens first: he bins it or the engine gives out. Award prizes to winners.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bold prediction

Button replaces Alonso at Monaco Grand Prix, Alonso retires on the first lap of the Indy 500, while Button goes on to Trulli his way to a win in Monaco. Alonso's body found later. The coroner rules cause of death as self inflicted wakizashi wound to the torso. The gypsy that cursed Alonso's career will remain at large.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dubs posted:

mcalren should just run 1 car

0 are gonna finish anyway no matter how many start

Run both cars, when the first one breaks down, Vandoorne can switch, like formula E.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I really can't believe it, Alonso at Indy? I thought this sort of thing was impossible for modern F1 drivers, they never skip F1 races. Amazing.
Also, you know who won Indy last year? Alexander Rossi, his first time at the 500, and he ran out of fuel on the cool down lap. Outcomes are not predetermined in this race! Amazing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I really can't believe it, Alonso at Indy? I thought this sort of thing was impossible for modern F1 drivers, they never skip F1 races. Amazing.
Also, you know who won Indy last year? Alexander Rossi, his first time at the 500, and he ran out of fuel on the cool down lap. Outcomes are not predetermined in this race! Amazing.

It makes sense in a way, he's not anywhere near the WDC and MCLRN+ can put anyone in the car if it's just going to break halfway through the race, WCC is not a concern.

Kinda excited for the Indy 500, actually.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Button just ran an triathlon so I'm sure he would be fine

The dude finished third in his age class.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wouldn't be surprised if they do open up an indy car team. The cost to enter is rather low, and well, given it's moving back to a spec series outside of the engines again next year, no aero devel costs. Just the cost of buying the car.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Great for motorsport, but a bit odd in general. The crown jewel of Formula One, and a team's star driver, absent?

I thought the sponsors would never allow it, but then I remembered there aren't any.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sulman posted:

Great for motorsport, but a bit odd in general. The crown jewel of Formula One, and a team's star driver, absent?

I thought the sponsors would never allow it, but then I remembered there aren't any.

There's also this:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mclaren-open-to-full-works-indycar-programme-in-future-892893/

He'll probably be in a Honda, natch, but they've had some success at the super speedways lately and this year they seem to have gotten their act together in Indy.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sulman posted:

The crown jewel is a turd and that a team is finally admitting that even if it is indirectly is a step in the right direction.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

The crown jewel is a turd and that a team is finally admitting that even if it is indirectly is a step in the right direction.

Always fun to see who drops it under braking at the nouvelle chicane though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

:same:

Monaco is meh at best. They probably just like having a home race.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This is so weird. You'd think he'd be looking forward to Monaco this entire time just to make up for the power deficit. Indy 500? Are you loving nuts, Alonso? You guys kept joking about him dying and now he really is gonna die in some retarded circle jerk.

Sulman posted:

lol

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I love Monaco and always have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm so incredibly happy that Nando will be in the indy 500 with a Honda engine that doesn't rattle apart

• Locked thread