Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

It's not a rant, it's a reference to a local political issue that 99.% of readers were completely unaware of. But since it's about religion... :yikes:

I think there's a lot of resentment against "the big 2" out there. Maybe they just think he's a sellout.

lmao would you be doing all these retarded mental gymnastics to excuse what he did if it was anyone other than a Muslim guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nevvy Z posted:

It's not a rant, it's a reference to a local political issue that 99.% of readers were completely unaware of. But since it's about religion... :yikes:

It's about time for you to just get on board with the fact that you're on the wrong side of this. It doesn't matter what your interpretation of the verse is. It doesn't matter what anyone's interpretation of the verse is. The only thing that matters is the fact that it was used to further the message of a political movement that has no place being presented in these books. The religion part isn't the problem here, it's the political movement that's being pushed here that is the problem. It's been explained in depth by people with more knowledge on this issue than you or I. The artist goofed up, admitted what and why did what he did, and now he's paying the price that is fair for his actions. End of story.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

X-O posted:

It's about time for you to just get on board with the fact that you're on the wrong side of this. It doesn't matter what your interpretation of the verse is. It doesn't matter what anyone's interpretation of the verse is. The only thing that matters is the fact that it was used to further the message of a political movement that has no place being presented in these books. The religion part isn't the problem here, it's the political movement that's being pushed here that is the problem. It's been explained in depth by people with more knowledge on this issue than you or I. The artist goofed up, admitted what and why did what he did, and now he's paying the price that is fair for his actions. End of story.

The only side I'm on is that all these people proclaiming that this is hate speech are idiots. Yet they can't seem to stop proclaiming over and over how terrible it is. :) See below. I don't know what the "standard response" is to an artist throwing a subtle reference to something they care about into a work, but I don't think they usually get fired until some idiot starts calling marvel accusing them of hate crimes.

No it's not. you are wrong and dumb. But this isn't the place

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 12, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nevvy Z posted:

The only side I'm on is that all these people proclaiming that this is anti-Semitic hate speech are idiots. Yet they can't seem to stop proclaiming over and over how terrible it is. :)

You're right, for once this is actual anti-Christian hate speech.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What a weird hill to die on.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It's a group calling for the removal of a governor in Indonesia because he's Christian and using that passage as justification not just for that but putting him on trial for blasphemy. What else is that but blind intolerance?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 12, 2017

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
man, whenever gurihiru aren't on gwenpool :(

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So turns out in the Renew Your Vows universe Logan is married to Jean and they have a daughter.

For some context for the RYW universe

The Civil War never happened in this universe because Xavier and the Avengers are like super cops who watch over heroes and potential heroes so they won't gently caress up, so the SHRA would never happen. That's why Charles went looking for Annie May. This pissed off Cyclops, because he doesn't think Chuck should be one of the top cops of America, Jean took Chuck's side and they broke up for good, so she married Logan.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also, the daughter's name is Kate, her moniker is 'Shine' (not that she needs it, she's like 3), and she's adorable.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Onmi posted:

So turns out in the Renew Your Vows universe Logan is married to Jean and they have a daughter.

This is the first time I've been angry at the Renew Your Vows universe.

Nadia's neat science facts are :3: mixed with :science:
Nadia's neat assassination facts on the other hand :stonk:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man I loved X-Men Blue. I think I liked it even more than I did X-Men Gold and that was quite a lot. I'm really happy that Hank is still trying to go with this magic thing. I don't think it's going to lead anywhere good and I love that. We all knew he was going to be in the book but the reveal of Magneto was done really well. I'm glad Bunn gets to continue writing him as he's done really well with the character. Also good to see the Jimmy Hudson stuff at the end. Can't wait to find out if this is a previously unknown 616 version of the character or if it's another 1610 transplant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syaf did an interview with an Indonesian outlet. Chrome's translation isn't great, but I saw

quote:

'' But, Marvel's got Disney. Jewish so touched, so there is no mercy, '' he said.
also translated as "But Marvel is owned by Disney. When Jews are offended, there is no mercy." So uh.
http://www.jpnn.com/news/ardian-syaf-yahudi-disinggung-ya-tidak-ada-ampun?page=2

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Endless Mike posted:

Syaf did an interview with an Indonesian outlet. Chrome's translation isn't great, but I saw

also translated as "But Marvel is owned by Disney. When Jews are offended, there is no mercy." So uh.
http://www.jpnn.com/news/ardian-syaf-yahudi-disinggung-ya-tidak-ada-ampun?page=2

Jeez...talk about dying on a hill....

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Sure, but what did he really mean by this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe he's planning on running to replace the governor they want to get rid of.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Endless Mike posted:

:stonk: I'm glad he's out of the game for good. Definitely don't want to support anything this guy had a hand in.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I usually don't mind Haynes' art (although of course Gurihiru is the best) but what the hell happened to this issue of Gwenpool

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

There's been rumours and stories for years that Walt Disney may well have been a wee bit of an anti-Semite.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's been rumours and stories for years that Walt Disney may well have been a wee bit of an anti-Semite.
I would not be surprised in the least, but that's not terribly relevant to The Walt Disney Company in 2017, which is run by a Jewish man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

I would not be surprised in the least, but that's not terribly relevant to The Walt Disney Company in 2017, which is run by a Jewish man.

Oh, I know, I just thought it was sort of funny to note that he's complaining about Disney when Walt Disney himself had this reputation. It's not really relevant, as you say.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

howe_sam posted:

This is the first time I've been angry at the Renew Your Vows universe.

to be fair, this choice has clearly worked out better for the both of them considering they aren't dead and replaced by time displaced versions of themselves

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also Scott is better with Emma anyway. The only thing I didn't like in this issue was Jubilee is a double agent working for Magneto

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Pureauthor posted:

I usually don't mind Haynes' art (although of course Gurihiru is the best) but what the hell happened to this issue of Gwenpool

it literally looked like half-finished. which is a shame because the actual story was really fun

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Onmi posted:

Also Scott is better with Emma anyway. The only thing I didn't like in this issue was Jubilee is a double agent working for Magneto

The "C'mon, stop scaring them, they're just kids" line is kinda foreshadowing in giant neon highlights that she'll decide he's taking it too far and turn against Magneto at the last second to save Annie/Shine etc etc.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite Neil Gaiman comic is Marvel 1488.

oh dang i didn't know Gaiman was involved in Secret Empire

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Where's Nevvy Z to come back to keep defending him?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell i want Nevy to tell us what this is actually about. All he has done so far has been smug and vague.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just want him to post again so he'll eat a ban for promoting hate speech

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Welp. That is not a dude who should be working for anyone.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Given enough time and space and apologies I could have seen him maybe being given a chance again to draw. Not at Marvel but perhaps DC since he had a decent tenure there and probably still has some good contacts there. But nope. Not now. If his career wasn't totally dead before it drat sure is now.

Maybe when you're accused of inserting messages of religious intolerance and ask to be forgiven your first move shouldn't be to blame the Jews. Just spitballing here though. I've never been in the position myself so who am I to give advice?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kate is probably one of the few people in the Marvel U that could actually have some kind of normal relationship with Gwenpool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zenoscope is always hiring.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hastings please make Gwen gay tia

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Make Spider-man bi and make out with Batman.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Make my slash fic about Martinex loving Prince Crystar real goddamnit!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Make Spider-man bi and make out with Batman.

Johnny's gonna be mad when he finds out Pete's cheating on him

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

site posted:

I just want him to post again so he'll eat a ban for promoting hate speech

"212" and "QS59". Hate speech. :rolleyes:

twistedmentat posted:

Kate is probably one of the few people in the Marvel U that could actually have some kind of normal relationship with Gwenpool.

Is Pete too old for her? I loved the rotating cast of girlfriends and writers we had during BND.

Edit- Everything about unstoppable wasp is perfect.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 13, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nevvy Z posted:

"212" and "QS59". Hate speech. :rolleyes:

It's a reference to a movement to have a politician arrested for his religion.

14 and 88. Hate speech :rolleyes:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nevy explain what this political movement is, I am genuinely curious what you think it is.

I suspect you are trolling considering how you refuse to use any details at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Almost every person who has purchased X-Men Gold since Sunday has commented on the controversy but only one person has actually bothered to be informed about it. The bulk of them think the word JEWELRY and Kitty being Jewish is what's causing the hub bub.

• Locked thread