Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

To be fair, you really do have to be a loving retard to want to vote for Estes after Brownback and the Republicans have ran this state into the ground.

Seriously, who in the gently caress are these people? Where the gently caress did all these Estes votes come from? Who are these people who like him enough to show up and vote for him? Who are these people?

People who see an R and vote for it by reflex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I blame the Kansas State party as much as anyone, they didn't do poo poo for support, all the contacts I got were from the campaign itself or from progressive groups like our revolution. They're comically inept to the point that if the neoliberals want to practice nation building before loving around in the middle east they could start with building the KDP into something resembling an actual political party

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Maybe this race will help; with fundraising for just that.

Yeah, maybe instead the people responsible for this should resign. Especially when their promise for becoming the head of the DNC was that they "Could get things done". ALso they promised a 50 state strategy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Queering Wheel posted:

To be fair, you really do have to be a loving retard to want to vote for Estes after Brownback and the Republicans have ran this state into the ground.

Seriously, who in the gently caress are these people? Where the gently caress did all these Estes votes come from? Who are these people who like him enough to show up and vote for him? Who are these people?

In seriousness, remember, all of those Estes votes just got done voting for Mike Pompeo in November, despite living through years of Brownback and all the rest of the idiots. He won 60.7% to 29.6%.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

You don't have to convert those people (especially in a low turnout affair like this). You just have to convince enough nonvoters that you're better, that you will fight for them, and that it's worthwhile to come out and vote for you.

If the candidate's own party doesn't care and can't be assed, what does that say to everyone else. "We don't even want to look at your retarded cowtown, but vote for us if you want I guess, whatever hicks." Real inspiring.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Wow the DNC is loving useless. Giving them money is flushing your money down the toilet looks like.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

You don't have to convert those people (especially in a low turnout affair like this). You just have to convince enough nonvoters that you're better, that you will fight for them, and that it's worthwhile to come out and vote for you.

If the candidate's own party doesn't care and can't be assed, what does that say to everyone else. "We don't even want to look at your retarded cowtown, but vote for us if you want I guess, whatever hicks." Real inspiring.

I know that you don't have to convert them. It's just frustrating that they have to be beaten at all. How do they not see what a disaster Brownback and his ilk have been? Why do they want to take the time to show up and vote Republican again? I don't understand.

James Thompson was a good candidate, too. He's a good guy, he really tried to win and campaigned everywhere he could. I really thought he could do it and it didn't happen. This sucks so much :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

tekz posted:

Wow the DNC is loving useless. Giving them money is flushing your money down the toilet looks like.

Winning safe Dem seats isn't cheap, you know!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Queering Wheel posted:

I know that you don't have to convert them. It's just frustrating that they have to be beaten at all. How do they not see what a disaster Brownback and his ilk have been? Why do they want to take the time to show up and vote Republican again? I don't understand.

James Thompson was a good candidate, too. He's a good guy, he really tried to win and campaigned everywhere he could. I really thought he could do it and it didn't happen. This sucks so much :smith:

He went from over 20 points to just 6. That's a massive comeback, you don't need to be depressed. This is a good thing. Thompson will probably run again

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Terror Sweat posted:

He went from over 20 points to just 6. That's a massive comeback, you don't need to be depressed. This is a good thing. Thompson will probably run again

He should. He'd have more name recognition next time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

tekz posted:

You shouldn't have given money to the DNC anyway. Give to candidates.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

Winning safe Dem seats isn't cheap, you know!

all those analysts and consultants need paid of course (for doing nothing)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Literally any other thread, you useless fucks.

Yoder's got to be pissing himself at this stage. Is there any word on who'll replace Estes?

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

Literally any other thread, you useless fucks.

Yoder's got to be pissing himself at this stage. Is there any word on who'll replace Estes?

How dare you discuss the failures of the national party after just witnessing the failure of the national party??? I think it's alright to throw some blame their way.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

WorkerThread posted:

How dare you discuss the failures of the national party after just witnessing the failure of the national party??? I think it's alright to throw some blame their way.

Half of each of the last two pages have been whitenoise posts about BadDems. The bulk of the posters involved are making their first posts ITT. There are a plethora of other places where that posting is welcome, and have the substantial benefit of not making GBS threads up a great thread.
I realize these are also my first posts ITT, but I lurk and actually try to contribute content

But, since posting about posting is the absolute worst...

rscott posted:

I blame the Kansas State party as much as anyone, they didn't do poo poo for support, all the contacts I got were from the campaign itself or from progressive groups like our revolution. They're comically inept to the point that if the neoliberals want to practice nation building before loving around in the middle east they could start with building the KDP into something resembling an actual political party

I appreciate the insight on the state party, rscott. I was surprised in February to see Thompson go over McKinney, do you think there's bad blood within the KDP establishment because of it? My pessimism says Kobach is going to be the nominee in 2018 and I'd hate to piss away the chance to take him down because of infighting.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
As far as the state party goes IDK. There was a lot of new blood at the annual meeting but the KDP hates being reminded that Kansas exists outside of Johnson County and Topeka/Lawrence so who knows how they'll take being proven wrong by an outsider from Wichita

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tekz posted:

Yep. Don't give money to state parties either cause the DNC will just hoover it up and spend it on Lena Dunham

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

rscott posted:

As far as the state party goes IDK. There was a lot of new blood at the annual meeting but the KDP hates being reminded that Kansas exists outside of Johnson County and Topeka/Lawrence so who knows how they'll take being proven wrong by an outsider from Wichita

I live in Johnson County and have done some work with the KDP here and there (I am a committee person), and while the party is worthless for sure, it wasn't completely incompetent this time around. I was getting emails to go to Wichita for weekend canvassing and a bunch of things for phone banking towards the tail end of the campaign, for instance. That being said, I only got those messages because I've actively sought out ways to be involved; I don't know if they mentioned those activities on social media or the like.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 12, 2017

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

hah I just googled perez and 50 state strategy and the first article in an interview where he's like look at kansas trump won by only 14 points and we picked up seats.I understand the DNC doesn't want to waste money on something they can't lose but drat we should try some poo poo out it's a whole new ball game now.

The KDP did alright with this tho. I was getting a lot of emails and facebook activity about the special election.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so basically we went from R+30 in Nov to R+6 today, granted though the imcumbent is gone but this is still blood red country

not a bad showing, granted the DNC hosed up cuz if they poured like $100k into it maybe the dems would have just won and made every GOP congressman in the country poo poo their pants

E: oh lol thompson beat his polling by like 13 points or something

Typo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 12, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Beo posted:

hah I just googled perez and 50 state strategy and the first article in an interview where he's like look at kansas trump won by only 14 points and we picked up seats.I understand the DNC doesn't want to waste money on something they can't lose but drat we should try some poo poo out it's a whole new ball game now.

The KDP did alright with this tho. I was getting a lot of emails and facebook activity about the special election.

Yeah, well, I'm hoping that progressive Dem leaders seize this opportunity to say, "See? If you had supported the loving progressive, we would have won. Support us if you want to stop losing!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Typo posted:

so basically we went from R+30 in Nov to R+6 today, granted though the imcumbent is gone but this is still blood red country

not a bad showing, granted the DNC hosed up cuz if they poured like $100k into it maybe the dems would have just won and made every GOP congressman in the country poo poo their pants

E: oh lol thompson beat his polling by like 13 points or something

Not sure what polling you're talking about, unless it was campaign internals from the Democrat side? No outside groups bothered to poll it because they assumes it'd be a Republican blowout.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

rscott posted:

To be fair, when the race got tight for the Kansas GOP, the Koch's and their PACs spent way, way in excess of the KDP's total war chest. I'm in Reno county which unfortunately was outside of the district lines for this election, though Reno county people have been driving over to Wichita to phonebank and knock on doors. At the last Reno County Democrats meeting the chair had said that the KDP funding right now is less than $200k and most of that money is being held over for next year's Governor and state level elections because of how little of it there is to go around. The KDP just couldn't hand over 20k for mailers without crippling the state level elections next year.

Granted, once Johnson picked up national attention, he got like 6 figures in donations from people nation wide. It's just disappointing that the local and national democratic apparatus' weren't there to back him up as well.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I don't know if they mentioned those activities on social media or the like.

nope, at least it didn't come up on mine and it'd be apt to

Also don't know anything about, for instance, who is running to try to flip Lynn Jenkins seat after she retires- that election is 19 months away, and primaries have to happen first but goddamn they ought to be hammering home that Jenkins is retiring and we're go into grab the seat-

but no, the Dems vastly underestimate their ideological support here, like in every red state, because the GOP has been stellar at convincing everyone that our neighbors are all more conservative than they really are

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Queering Wheel posted:

First is the already mentioned "vote R all the time forever." Plus no matter how bad things get these people blame Obama or just say "well it's bad but the demonrat would have done far worse so it's really actually good." Plus a lot of these people are true "burn the government down at all costs" believers.

Others are just abortion or guns voters who believe that every Democrat ever just wants to take all the guns and murder all the babies. It doesn't matter at all how bad Republicans are once they get in office because Jesus/guns.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's too bad you can't just kill Jesus with guns, because that would solve the problem maybe.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Iron Crowned posted:

It's too bad you can't just kill Jesus with guns, because that would solve the problem maybe.

He'd just keep coming back.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He'd also spend his time telling you to pay your taxes and help the poor so it really would put Kansas Republicans into a tailspin.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

kiimo posted:

He'd also spend his time telling you to pay your taxes and help the poor so it really would put Kansas Republicans into a tailspin.

Plus the whole not actually being white, like all the official art from the church shows.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, I'm hoping that progressive Dem leaders seize this opportunity to say, "See? If you had supported the loving progressive, we would have won. Support us if you want to stop losing!"

which progressive dnc leaders :smithicide:

If Keith as the co/under/assistant/vice chair didn't get funding for a Kansas progressive, who can?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't see Dems letting Georgia fall to Republicans. I hear the candidate is the future.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nonsense posted:

I don't see Dems letting Georgia fall to Republicans. I hear the candidate is the future.

Idk if it is a matter of "letting" it fall.

Tangent,: have you seen some of the fliers GA GOP has sent out?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Potato Salad posted:

Idk if it is a matter of "letting" it fall.

Tangent,: have you seen some of the fliers GA GOP has sent out?

The ones tying Ossoff to ISIS or Al Qaeda or some poo poo?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

"Well he wasn't a progressive because he only talked about $15 on Reddit and only after Bernie Sanders put him in a headlock, and furthermore..."

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

tfw other Kansans tell me to call my state rep about some horrible GOP thing they oughtn't support but I live in Lawrence

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nachos posted:

The ones tying Ossoff to ISIS or Al Qaeda or some poo poo?

I'm surprised I'm not yet a felon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peanut Butler posted:

tfw other Kansans tell me to call my state rep about some horrible GOP thing they oughtn't support but I live in Lawrence

I visit Lawrence KS frequently and this is exactly who I expected would represent the area.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jeez White Owl lost some weight

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Majorian posted:

He'd just keep coming back.

Yeah but it takes three days each time, so theres a respite.

Sorry Kansas. Better luck next time, please try not to dismantle group homes any more than they already are if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Condiv posted:

Yep. Don't give money to state parties either cause the DNC will just hoover it up and spend it on Lena Dunham

Gotta give you some credit for message consistency.

• Locked thread