Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Agreed with both of you. Both that I WANT IT NOW!!! and that this show's climb in quality from those first episodes to the Winter Soldier tie-in and season 1 end, to season 2 with the awesome HYDRA, Second SHIELD, and Inhuman storylines, then season 3's Hive stuff, now each of these arcs? It's just fascinating and amazing to behold. If this show doesn't get a season 5, I'll be so upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Apparently the student, Amy, is Clark Gregg's actual daughter. Strange that she had those couple of lines and then didn't appear at all for the rest of the episode. I wonder if they cut the rest of her scenes out?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Cran posted:

I love this show so loving much. Jemma owns. Nazi Fits owns. Madam Hydra owns. Face Ward owns. Totally Not Captain America Mace owns. Blatant real-world thumb-biting owns.

God, has any show climbed in quality as consistently as this one?

I would venture to say Nazi Murder Fitz does, in fact, not own. :smith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked the subtle little callback to the fact that Coulson designed Captain America's uniform in The Avengers. "I made a few sketches, but nothing as cool as this!"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just re-watched the clip on ABC's YouTube of Fitz killing Aida's real world counterpart and I'm really liking that the "REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE" pretty much fails every time. I'm even thinking Coulson was already having doubts, probably due to already having his mind hosed wit, and not because he has a particular strong connection to Daisy.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

notthegoatseguy posted:

Just re-watched the clip on ABC's YouTube of Fitz killing Aida's real world counterpart and I'm really liking that the "REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE" pretty much fails every time. I'm even thinking Coulson was already having doubts, probably due to already having his mind hosed wit, and not because he has a particular strong connection to Daisy.
Aida's tech is going into peoples' minds like a surgeon's scalpel, making subtle alterations that leave people changed according to an elegant design. Meanwhile, Project TAHITI took more of a chainsaw-like approach that left the mental equivalent of shrapnel and scars all over. Aida knows how a human brain is supposed to work, but Coulson's brain likely has so much poo poo wrong with it that her tech is less reliable on him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

GLOSS posted:

Oh hey look, Mack's virtual daughter is Moon Girl...

Oh man, having Devil Dinosaur show up at some point would be insane.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nah. Coulson called Hydra on Simmons, they gave him some information, a folder full of stuff, and forced/asked him to follow her, and either inform on her and friends, or carry around a tracking device. He's a true believer by nature, the same way Fitz is loyal to his family, Ward is loyal to his Person, and May is a loyal soldier.

The only thing he's said about the real world was Daisy's name, which Hydra knows. Everything else has been him Magoo'ing around, and Simmons projecting Original Flavor Coulson onto him. The soap thing... could be anything really.

Coulson hasn't been teaching Fascism 101, giving students to Hydra, and also been a fan of the Patriot. It's an act.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

OB_Juan posted:

Nah. Coulson called Hydra on Simmons, they gave him some information, a folder full of stuff, and forced/asked him to follow her, and either inform on her and friends, or carry around a tracking device. He's a true believer by nature, the same way Fitz is loyal to his family, Ward is loyal to his Person, and May is a loyal soldier.

The only thing he's said about the real world was Daisy's name, which Hydra knows. Everything else has been him Magoo'ing around, and Simmons projecting Original Flavor Coulson onto him. The soap thing... could be anything really.

Coulson hasn't been teaching Fascism 101, giving students to Hydra, and also been a fan of the Patriot. It's an act.

Except that they established that Coulson is a conspiracy theorist with recollections that he can't reconcile before the point at which he would have become an agent of Hydra. You could tell he was uncomfortable when they took his student as well, but too afraid to say anything.

He also shot a pair of Hydra lackeys and didn't say anything as Ward was about to shoot Fitz. The lackeys were no big, but a double agent would have supported Simmons to protect a key asset.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh man, Fitz shooting Agnes was so depressing. So was Mack selling out Daisy. I had a feeling that he seemed to remember too much too easily.

I'm not always a fan of mirror universe/Elseworld/What If? stuff but this has been fantastic so far.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wonder how much control Madame Haidra has over the mainframe. I don't think she's playing her role while also having all information about that world. It feels a bit like she made a local independent copy of herself which is freed of her prime directives.
Why else would she research that other side? If she is multithreading while also being in the regular world, she wouldn't need to collect intel from there. Or maybe she decided that she really shares Hydras ideals, so she wants to open a portal to bring some of her buddies to good old earth Earth-199999.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

kayakyakr posted:

Except that they established that Coulson is a conspiracy theorist with recollections that he can't reconcile before the point at which he would have become an agent of Hydra. You could tell he was uncomfortable when they took his student as well, but too afraid to say anything.

He also shot a pair of Hydra lackeys and didn't say anything as Ward was about to shoot Fitz. The lackeys were no big, but a double agent would have supported Simmons to protect a key asset.

These are good points, but I've become paranoid.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

These are good points, but I've become paranoid.

It's okay, just be careful with the soap.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I actually feel like Project Looking Glass is about bringing people from the Framework into LMD bodies on the outside. Not real people, but rather the virtual ones.

That way Aida could take over the world with a ready-made Hydra army.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

So last week I was hoping Mac would end the season as an LMD...
Now I'm pretty sure I want Hope to be the LMD.

Otherwise this season is going to end up being a major downer.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dracorion posted:

I actually feel like Project Looking Glass is about bringing people from the Framework into LMD bodies on the outside. Not real people, but rather the virtual ones.

That way Aida could take over the world with a ready-made Hydra army.

well, that AND get Fitz & the Cavalry back to their real bodies using LMDs as a convenient handwave, use them against the real world.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder how much control Madame Haidra has over the mainframe. I don't think she's playing her role while also having all information about that world. It feels a bit like she made a local independent copy of herself which is freed of her prime directives.
Why else would she research that other side? If she is multithreading while also being in the regular world, she wouldn't need to collect intel from there. Or maybe she decided that she really shares Hydras ideals, so she wants to open a portal to bring some of her buddies to good old earth Earth-199999.

Still has her directives. She handed the gun to Fitz to let him kill Radcliffe or Agnes. She wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger herself.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Iain de Caestecker must have been loving psyched when he got the scripts for this part of the season. He's really delivering.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Did anyone catch the scene in the quin jet with Coulson staring at the sniper rifle as it was pointed directly at Ward's back? I thought that was either a good callback or a strong bit of foreshadowing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kayakyakr posted:

Also, how did May know Daisy's real name and why was it necessary for her to incriminate herself if it came from Aidra? They're in an autocratic state. If they already know the answer, why even ask?

May has broken the conditioning, because she always breaks the conditioning.

May totally remembers the real world, but until now, she's been trapped and alone. She's had to work "undercover" as a Hydra operative just to survive. She's had suspicions of Daisy from the moment Daisy transitioned over. She already knew where everyone else was, but had no idea if they were "real" or constructs. She set things up and arrested Mack just so she could trap Daisy into confirming her suspicion. Next week is going to be May rescuing Daisy from the vivisection table and then they all meet up with Mace and come up with a plan to break out of The Framework.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Iain de Caestecker must have been loving psyched when he got the scripts for this part of the season. He's really delivering.

:agreed:

In a show full of amazing things, Evil Fitz might just be the best of them all. Iain is killing it. With the way they're setting it up, Fitz is definitely the last one they get back and the most cathartic rescue of them all. He's gonna be real hosed up at what his Framework self did though. :smith:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

May totally remembers the real world, but until now, she's been trapped and alone. She's had to work "undercover" as a Hydra operative just to survive. She's had suspicions of Daisy from the moment Daisy transitioned over. She already knew where everyone else was, but had no idea if they were "real" or constructs. She set things up and arrested Mack just so she could trap Daisy into confirming her suspicion. Next week is going to be May rescuing Daisy from the vivisection table and then they all meet up with Mace and come up with a plan to break out of The Framework.

I suspect something like this is happening.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You know, once they're out of the framework, things are going to be really awkward around the office for awhile.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Amazing how Radcliffe at once pours his heart out about how much he knows he hosed up, yet still starts the conversation with "you have no idea what I've been through!" What a hilarious piece of poo poo.

Also "If I weren't dead already, I'd be impressed"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The best thing about Evil Fitz is that he is still recognizably Fitz. Opheliaida took the best parts of Fitz-- his intelligence, his loyalty, his capacity for love and complete undying devotion-- and twisted them so that they were all centered around her. Add a little Fitz Sr. to the mix and the result is apparently one scary, evil motherfucker.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Episode 17: Identity and Change

http://i.imgur.com/2rMP3Mn.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/b74Gd72.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/efDpzE4.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/P7yahHe.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/vDtpHmY.gifv

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

flosofl posted:

This could make sense. But mainly it also brought up an issue that I did not pay much attention too. Skye and Simmons were both in the framework world and probably part of a scripted narrative that Aida created (perhaps after it was confirmed that they could not capture them and put them in the framework like Coulson et al), before the real ones hacked into and took their place -- I don't know why I missed this or chose to ignore it, because the show does not hide it. They were also both seemingly going to be eliminated according to that "narrative" (Simmons as a SHIELD agent was already shot and buried, and Skye as a "potential" inhuman would probably follow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

I would like this a whole lot because if May starts breaking faces after everything the team's been through I am gonna come out of my seat hootin and hollerin at the tv

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, everyone's been working with the assumption that Aida is fulfilling everyone's regret but I've never really accepted that because (a) Aida has no way of knowing their regrets, she just found out May's thing from Radcliffe and (b) that seems very complicated and Aida doesn't seem nearly that devoted to helping people, she just wanted to make May complicit and she's shown that getting them in the Framework is her sole meaningful "command".

Aida's phrasing on the "its not my fault how it all played out" implied that "their greatest regret" is the kid's death and the whole thing is based off that. That makes more sense to me since Aida isn't really interested in going much deeper. She can answer the obvious poo poo like Mack's daughter but she doesn't really care that Daisy ending up with Ward and still the orphan "Skye" hunting down inhumans is basically her living hell.

There's going to be a lot of trauma and drama getting out of this Framework. Fitz is going to have a poo poo load of guilt and Mack is going to have an impossible choice between reality or his daughter. Since everyone wants a LMD out of this I'm pulling for LMD Moon Girl, but I'm expecting tragedy for Mack one way or another. And Fitz and Simmons will never be the same. And we have no idea how the Framework memories and personalities will meld with the real world ones.

I'm glad Jemma's still resisting Good Guy Ward. Don't soften just because of this Fitz thing, Jemma. He's a snake!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
May must be woke, because how else would she know to bring Mack in to trick Daisy? Him not being on Hydra's radar in any way was mentioned several times in the episode. So I think that's a pretty big hint. May's been in it the longest. Her biggest regret (not saving the girl) turned into what might be an even bigger regret (saving the girl who caused the incident that let Hydra rise to power, and ultimately failing to save the girl since she just died a bit later).

Nill posted:

Not sure I'm going to buy a handwaved "they were brainwashed" excuse for Fitz's willfully evil actions at the end of this arc. Either he's coming out a broken man that's written out of the show or.... That "Fitz" is actually Aida's own AI creation inside the framework. I mean, she can leave at any time, why would she have him working on "Crossing Over" to the other world unless HE was the one stuck there?

Fitz is Fitz, it's just that he uses way more soap than he actually needs when he washes because he likes to feel all lathery. It's not his fault.

I thought it was really cool that Aida acknowledges the real world but spins it as an alternate reality out to destroy them. I assumed she was just gonna pretend the other world doesn't exist but this is a lot more fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm totally game for the "May's woke" theory and it seems possible, but she could have just gotten the Mack/Daisy stuff from Madame hAIDrA. And YoYo wasn't part of Aida's planning which might be why its where Mack went all "huh?" Aida's the one who put them in there so would be the more obvious person to scoop up Daisy, Caulson, and Mack when Jemma showed up.

But the "May's woke" theory is way more fun.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wouldn't it be more likely and require less mental gymnastics if this is what actually happened?

1. Skye's real name in the Framework is literally Daisy Johnson. Everybody just calls her Skye as an informal nickname.

2. Skye has been acting suspicious. It's obvious to her boyfriend, and May isn't stupid and notices her random outbursts of caring for others and questioning orders, both things Skye probably didn't do in the Framework.

3. There is a hydra mole.

4. They targeted Mack because his daughter could be a potential inhuman. We've already seen they'll murder kids so it's not far fetched.

5. Skye acted even more weird on the mission.

6. May sets up a deal with Mack: Tell the next agent you know her and see what she fesses up because Skye is being very suspicious.

7. Skye's name is literally Daisy Johnson in her files. It's not a mystery.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Occam's May

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Boris Galerkin posted:

7. Skye's name is literally Daisy Johnson in her files. It's not a mystery.

It should be Mary Sue Poots. :colbert:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Then why wouldn't Ward know her name is Daisy?

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Boris Galerkin posted:

4. They targeted Mack because his daughter could be a potential inhuman. We've already seen they'll murder kids so it's not far fetched.

My assumption was they had a GPS tracker in the drone his daughter grabbed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CornHolio posted:

You know, once they're out of the framework, things are going to be really awkward around the office for awhile.

Yeah, because they're extremely poo poo at the 'accepting that things aren't real' part of this mission. I bet one of them's gonna hold a grudge against someone for actions in the Framework after they get out.

AbstractNapper posted:

This could make sense. But mainly it also brought up an issue that I did not pay much attention too. Skye and Simmons were both in the framework world and probably part of a scripted narrative that Aida created (perhaps after it was confirmed that they could not capture them and put them in the framework like Coulson et al), before the real ones hacked into and took their place -- I don't know why I missed this or chose to ignore it, because the show does not hide it. They were also both seemingly going to be eliminated according to that "narrative" (Simmons as a SHIELD agent was already shot and buried, and Skye as a "potential" inhuman would probably follow.

Skye was fine for the most part because Ward was keeping an eye on her. That's the entire reason he's not a loyal HYDRA agent here. They'd (probably) kill her if they found out.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, everyone's been working with the assumption that Aida is fulfilling everyone's regret but I've never really accepted that because (a) Aida has no way of knowing their regrets, she just found out May's thing from Radcliffe and (b) that seems very complicated and Aida doesn't seem nearly that devoted to helping people, she just wanted to make May complicit and she's shown that getting them in the Framework is her sole meaningful "command".

That was Radcliffe's original rationalization and since AIDA has no imagination she's just continuing that work. How things got flipped turned upside down like this though is beyond me.

Metropolis posted:

May must be woke, because how else would she know to bring Mack in to trick Daisy? Him not being on Hydra's radar in any way was mentioned several times in the episode. So I think that's a pretty big hint. May's been in it the longest. Her biggest regret (not saving the girl) turned into what might be an even bigger regret (saving the girl who caused the incident that let Hydra rise to power, and ultimately failing to save the girl since she just died a bit later).

They came after Mack for that drone Hope foolishly decided to customize and disassemble into a hoverdrone of her own. She doesn't know who any of these people are, she's just using them because they're there and Skye's being so bizarrely friendly with them so they must be useful if utilized properly. Plus it makes sure that they toe the line in the future as well.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PunkBoy posted:

Episode 17: Identity and Change

http://i.imgur.com/efDpzE4.gifv

Jesus Aida looks terrifying. :aaa:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
FAILING AGENTS OF SHIELD #1 IN TIME SLOT WITH MOST MAJOR DEMOGRAPHIC

https://twitter.com/ABC_Publicity/status/852206814263431168?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

SAD!

(serious aside, what a loving fantastic episode for the show to get a ratings peak at.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What is it with Marvel and awesome fights in lifts go-up-boxes elevators?

• Locked thread