Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

These are inherent problems with the map being bad, not an issue with the circle system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
True enough, guess we'll just have to see what the other maps look like.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Map on a shipping container filled cargo ship, melee weapons only

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

For sure. I'm just saying what a pleasant surprise this game is in terms of quality right off the bat especially when compared to years long development slogs like DayZ.

Yeah, its a really fun genre that is marred by a whole bunch of extremely poorly designed games. H1Z1, DayZ, The War Z(I think it was called?) off the top of my head. I hope this one at least irons out the kinks if not taking it further and refining the game with more maps and modes.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Didn't think I was going to like this as much as I do. It's my first BR game (other than one round of H1Z1 back in the day).

So far my best is 20th, with 5 kills in one round (3 using the O/U Shotgun with a choke). I happened upon a guy and merced him, then people kept coming to loot the growing loot pile and getting buckshot in the rear end for their trouble.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
This game has great car physics.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think with some map improvements (add buildings in particularly density areas, NE may as well not exist) and some more intelligence on where the circles spawn (not in the middle of the ocean and not always in the same gd area, make everyone run for it sometimes!) it'd be pretty much perfect in those regards

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Stalber is super abandoned but the circle closed over there one time and it was super interesting watching everyone try to climb the mountain to the ruins.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How is frankieOnPC so drat good ? His video from 2 weeks ago he's pulling off headshots I can't even believe.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

jonathan posted:

How is frankieOnPC so drat good ? His video from 2 weeks ago he's pulling off headshots I can't even believe.

this is the power of editing

ps there is a lot of evidence that he cheated in dayz mod and used bhop scripts in csgo so take that as you will (he dmca'd most of the videos and posts about it so i can't pull out the sources)

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

jonathan posted:

The same as every youtuber.

They record hours of footage and then cut it down to 15 minutes of highlights.

You dont see the 12 times he died 5 minutes after spawning.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can you now hear other players opening doors if you're in a different part of the same small-sized house?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Copper For Lyfe posted:

The same as every youtuber.

They record hours of footage and then cut it down to 15 minutes of highlights.

You dont see the 12 times he died 5 minutes after spawning.

That makes sense however he still seems like a skilled player. Mostly I just like listening to him talk.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gunder posted:

Can you now hear other players opening doors if you're in a different part of the same small-sized house?

Yes.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Rite Of Massage posted:

this is the power of editing

ps there is a lot of evidence that he cheated in dayz mod and used bhop scripts in csgo so take that as you will (he dmca'd most of the videos and posts about it so i can't pull out the sources)

He 100% did at least use a bhop script in cs:go. The clip Launders got into a fair use fight with Frankie over showed it clear as day.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Orv posted:

The game ending in open fields with like, two trees to either side is a lovely way to do it, and it's what happens 90% of the time. Every time I die to it it feels like complete garbage because there's no way to tell where the six or nine or whatever other people are going to come from, and you have no cover. The few times it ends on cities or the in-between groups of houses or something are way better because than you can have cool, skill based firefights instead of whoever enters the circle last basically reaps victory because everyone else died with no options.

I don't know, I've enjoyed both the empty field final locations and the built up cities. The former being particularly frightening as you wonder "How the hell are there 15 people in this empty field" .

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

He 100% did at least use a bhop script in cs:go. The clip Launders got into a fair use fight with Frankie over showed it clear as day.

there was some pretty convincing evidence in his own videos that he (frankie) had god mode enabled (blinking yellow temp icon, unexplained fluctuations in blood between cuts where he had no blood bags or food, bomb blowing up in cherno church killing the 15+ ppl around him but not him?) and a battleeye bypass (modified debug monitor) for dayz mod

seeing as ive played cs since there was a scope on the m4, his bhops were definitely not legit

can't say for sure if he is cheating in this game, though; i don't watch his videos

the takeaway is that comparing yourself to highlight reels and possibly tool-assisted gaming is not gonna make you feel good about your own skills

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
29 top 10 finishes and not one single victory. One day I will win.... one day.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I made another one of those awful/amazing videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmwch1W0io4

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Pulled out my first win last night in a 3 man squad after about ~50 matches and reaching the end game quite a few times. My buddies jumped on right when the game came out so I'm behind their curve a bit. Towards the end we were walking the circumference of the circles pinching into where they're basically tangent and that (based mostly on luck) kept us out of the line of fire. Near the end the white circle was like the size of a kiddy pool and there were 12 people left some how, threw some smoke bombs in the direction we thought they might be and they duked it out, we cleaned em up.

My buddy that also started late and I play duos and purposely jumped into highly populated areas for a while to get more combat experience knowing full well our chances of winning were nill. This definitely helped getting over the jitters of fighting and getting used to the gun play.

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 12, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Played 4 games so far, managed to kill a total of two guys with my fists right after spawning. Reached top 9 once, mostly through just winding my own business and moving slowly towards the zones and then dying the moment I ran into a guy who was heavily armed while all I had was a pistol.

The metagame is a little strange to me, I was trying to play very cautiously as one would play solo in DayZ but I got the hunch PUBG kind of expects you to just play aggressively in the initial stages and stock up on as much firepower as you can as otherwise you will be kinda screwed later on.

The game seems cool and pretty intense so far but I still need to 'get it', I guess.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Played 4 games so far, managed to kill a total of two guys with my fists right after spawning. Reached top 9 once, mostly through just winding my own business and moving slowly towards the zones and then dying the moment I ran into a guy who was heavily armed while all I had was a pistol.

The metagame is a little strange to me, I was trying to play very cautiously as one would play solo in DayZ but I got the hunch PUBG kind of expects you to just play aggressively in the initial stages and stock up on as much firepower as you can as otherwise you will be kinda screwed later on.

The game seems cool and pretty intense so far but I still need to 'get it', I guess.

Well both methods work. You can be high risk high reward or a sneaky scavenger. If you're the former then you'll have better gear via cherry picking the best stuff from the guys you kill. If you're the latter you'll need to pick an out of the way route from the fringe to the center that hits up a lot of spawn locations to be as well equipped as someone who katamaris a bunch of dead people gear.

The best though would be a mixture of both. Play safe but really go for it if you get the drop on someone. You don't particularly need to be a waking arsenal at the end. It's just optimal to have a gun with adequate ammo and some armor when you get to the center. Maybe a sight.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

People are absolutely cheating in this game btw. No doubt about it. Not that it was unexpected

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Xachariah posted:

Well both methods work. You can be high risk high reward or a sneaky scavenger. If you're the former then you'll have better gear via cherry picking the best stuff from the guys you kill. If you're the latter you'll need to pick an out of the way route from the fringe to the center that hits up a lot of spawn locations to be as well equipped as someone who katamaris a bunch of dead people gear.

The best though would be a mixture of both. Play safe but really go for it if you get the drop on someone. You don't particularly need to be a waking arsenal at the end. It's just optimal to have a gun with adequate ammo and some armor when you get to the center. Maybe a sight.

Honestly all you need to win late game is an assault rifle/red dot and level 2 armor and helmet. Anything else just makes you feel good about yourself. If you have those and some health items you can hide until the last circle and be just as competitive as the dude with full bags and 17 kills.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to tell where the play area will recede to before you jump, or is it just luck not to wind up on the other end of the map?

Also - shotgun house camping early game is really fun. Your level 2 armor aint doing poo poo for a load of 00 Buck to the face.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Akion posted:

Is there any way to tell where the play area will recede to before you jump, or is it just luck not to wind up on the other end of the map?

Also - shotgun house camping early game is really fun. Your level 2 armor aint doing poo poo for a load of 00 Buck to the face.

Being in the middle of the current circle makes it more likely you will be in or close to the new circle, but AFAIK the new circle placement is random.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't wait for this to get optimized, it runs really well on my rig (it's a good pc) but my fans are loud as hell, so I had to crank the settings down and my speakers up.

Listening closely for people legging it around outside and pumping a few rounds into their backs after they pass had gotten me the vast majority of my kills this week. Most of my deaths have been while creeping up on a building and I suddenly get lit up from an upper window. I jump a fuckin mile every time it happens too, this game has a really cool way of getting super tense very early on.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I escaped a bomb area just in time and ran into a nearby house. Collected some things and as I walked out, I saw someone parachuting in. This had to have been at least five minutes into the match. I opened fire a couple times to try and hit them, but got sniped from someone else because I exposed myself. :(
Really wish there was a kill cam of some kind to see how where they got the drop on me so I can learn for next time. Great fun in this game so far!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Video Nasty posted:

Really wish there was a kill cam of some kind to see how where they got the drop on me so I can learn for next time. Great fun in this game so far!

Kill cam would be nice, but only for solo play. I managed to wipe an entire squad by myself last night with the double barrel and a grenade. I was like solid snake sneaking around walls and poo poo, even with the new super loud footsteps they didn't notice me. That gun is great because you can kill people in the two shots it has in it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Video Nasty posted:

I escaped a bomb area just in time and ran into a nearby house. Collected some things and as I walked out, I saw someone parachuting in. This had to have been at least five minutes into the match. I opened fire a couple times to try and hit them, but got sniped from someone else because I exposed myself. :(

Are you sure that wasn't a supply drop? :ohdear:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Are you sure that wasn't a supply drop? :ohdear:

oh gently caress I didn't know those were even a thing! :doh:
I've only gotten a handful of solo rounds in this so far but I'm loving the tension and open discovery each time.
e: from the video above, I just learned you can go prone! sheesh I'm an idiot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Kill cam would be nice, but only for solo play. I managed to wipe an entire squad by myself last night with the double barrel and a grenade. I was like solid snake sneaking around walls and poo poo, even with the new super loud footsteps they didn't notice me. That gun is great because you can kill people in the two shots it has in it.

Kill cam in squads could still work if you had to wait a bit to see it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I killed a guy and found a trench coat called Player Unknowns Trench Coat or something. Does this drop from crates or did I kill a hacker or the developer or what

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

I killed a guy and found a trench coat called Player Unknowns Trench Coat or something. Does this drop from crates or did I kill a hacker or the developer or what

That's from preordering, IIRC.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

jonathan posted:

You know that one game you have where you just poo poo on everybody? Well, if you play enough games and only share those games, you too can be perceived as a pro-tier streamer.

The games where you die thirty seconds in obviously don't count. Quit your job and stream games. Be a pro.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Perestroika posted:

That's from preordering, IIRC.

Yeah, I killed a guy who had the PLAYERUNKNOWN'S trench coat and bandana and was super stoked thinking I'd killed a dev or something. But it's just preorder bonuses.

Incidentally, that trenchcoat is selling for over $90 on the Steam marketplace.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

tehinternet posted:

You know that one game you have where you just poo poo on everybody? Well, if you play enough games and only share those games, you too can be perceived as a pro-tier streamer.

The games where you die thirty seconds in obviously don't count. Quit your job and stream games. Be a pro.

I... Don't know that game. :(

More often than not I embarrass myself by shooting an outline of someone's head into a wall before dying pathetically.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I got a jacket worth $1.50 on my first crate. That was kinda nice.

How long after I die does my voice still transmit? Like if I want to talk poo poo to the guy that shot me as I am being looted, for example.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

People are absolutely cheating in this game btw. No doubt about it. Not that it was unexpected
have any specific examples? Ive played a decent amount recently and have never been killed in suspicious ways, if they're cheating theyre doing a drat good job of hiding it

Gay Horney posted:

'playerunknowns signature trench coat'

he 100% seems like the guy who wears a fedora and trenchcoat to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

have any specific examples? Ive played a decent amount recently and have never been killed in suspicious ways, if they're cheating theyre doing a drat good job of hiding it

I posted a cheat video earlier. Seems like that at least lets you know where players are when behind walls and gives auto aim.

• Locked thread