Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think it's slightly weird that a guy who has a career as a US action/adventure movie actor hasn't seen those two highly iconic US action/adventure movies but eh, he probably has his reasons? :shrug:

u r going to experience a lot of shocking revelations as you age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maybe he's just waiting till they release the Episodes 1-9 box set.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I think it's slightly weird that a guy who has a career as a US action/adventure movie actor hasn't seen those two highly iconic US action/adventure movies but eh, he probably has his reasons? :shrug:

Well, he's only done 2 so far and I assume "the spider-men" was ahead of Empire on the list of Movies This One Guy Has to Watch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

meh, I didn't have a job when I was 20, he's obviously a lot busier than me - probably less time to watch classic movies. that being said, we watched them in school.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

well why not posted:

meh, I didn't have a job when I was 20, he's obviously a lot busier than me - probably less time to watch classic movies. that being said, we watched them in school.

I feel like your history teacher was really stretching to include 'A long time ago, in a galaxy far away' as part of the curriculum.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

haha, no it was for english. It's basically the most straightforward 'symbolism' movie out there, so it worked OK.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Not having seen original Star Wars is the most loving retarded thing to get worked over for a young dude. Good, I'm glad he hasn't seen it. gently caress Star Wars it's retarded and he spent more time making something of himself and his career instead.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Please present a syllabus of requisite action movies, 1975-current, that all actors must view to pass your "weird test", professor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crackbone posted:

Please present a syllabus of requisite action movies, 1975-current, that all actors must view to pass your "weird test", professor.

Everything George Lucas, who I hate and is the worst director and ruined Star Wars, everything he ever made.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CelticPredator posted:

If someone says they've never seen Star Wars, I always calmly say, "they're pretty good! Check them out if you have a chance. But also understand that 98% of Star Wars fans love these films because they grew up with them and they're like...ingrained in their DNA basically. "

I always get "usually people just get mad at me because of it."

Don't get mad at people for not watching Star Wars.

The three worst things you can be on the internet are:

1) Unironic neo-nazi
2) FAKE NERD (Female)
3) FAKE NERD (Male)

Tom Holland has fallen into #3 and shall incur the punishment of the internet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it's weird to watch episodes 1-3 and 7 of anything and then go "Yeah I really enjoyed those but episodes 4-6 ehhhhh can't be bothered."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Also it's weird to watch episodes 1-3 and 7 of anything and then go "Yeah I really enjoyed those but episodes 4-6 ehhhhh can't be bothered."

Most people don't really care about continuity and just go see whatever movies are popular in theatres whenever they feel like going. I'll bet there are more people who've seen a few random entries in the Harry Potter series than have seen all seven.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phylodox posted:

Most people don't really care about continuity and just go see whatever movies are popular in theatres whenever they feel like going. I'll bet there are more people who've seen a few random entries in the Harry Potter series than have seen all seven.

I saw Thor 2 before Thor 1 because I went as a group and we got drunk after. I liked it enough to watch Thor 1 later.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I guarantee there are dozens of much better movies he hasn't seen at 20.

And it's not weird at all that he watched the latest release movies then didn't go back to movies from 20 years before. In fact, for the people who loathe the prequels it makes perfect sense that his attitude was "ok these were good but I don't care to see the same thing with worse special effects" without realizing the original trilogy is a masterpiece you guys holy poo poo I can't believe he hasn't seen them!!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Saw this today, seemed relevant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He also said in the interview that he probably won't see Star Wars any time soon, because he's extremely busy.

Some actors just aren't even all that into watching movies. As a movie fanatic that's always weird to think about but some of them seem to enjoy the acting gig overall but don't really love movies as a pastime.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

10 Beers posted:

Saw this today, seemed relevant.

My very specific fetishes are older women with powerful cheekbones that could beat me up and the voice of Lou Ferrigno.

The addition of Cate Blanchett to Ming-Na Wen, Liv Tyler, Rene Russo, Glen Close, Gwyneth Paltrow, Angela Bassett, and Tilda Swinton in the MCU and Lou Ferrigno signing on for at least 3 more movies are the only things keeping me going at this point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Some actors just aren't even all that into watching movies. As a movie fanatic that's always weird to think about but some of them seem to enjoy the acting gig overall but don't really love movies as a pastime.

There's also actors/filmmakers working on remakes who specifically avoid watching the original to ensure they bring something fresh to it, or at least avoid being overly influenced by the earlier performances.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's also actors/filmmakers working on remakes who specifically avoid watching the original to ensure they bring something fresh to it, or at least avoid being overly influenced by the earlier performances.

Confirmation that Tom Holland is cast as Luuke Skywalker in episode 8?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Confirmation that Tom Holland is cast as Luuke Skywalker in episode 8?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker

Every time I think the EU can't get any dumber, it does.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Isn't the guy like 20? I'm sure he has time to watch them eventually.

Yeah, most people who are 20 aren't that familiar with the old Star War movies, in my experience.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Potato posted:

hahahaha

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sir Potato posted:

Luuke vs Luke. So I'd have to go "Looooouke." when talking to Luuke but "Louke." When talking to Luke. This is something only Chewbacca can enunciate properly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wow I remember enjoying that novel when I was younger but this is pretty much accurate and makes it look insanely dumb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
IIRC in the book Thrawn is aware that one of those guys is a clone because he's like "note the extra U in the name" but no one in the entire galaxy has ever seen the name written down at that point.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC in the book Thrawn is aware that one of those guys is a clone because he's like "note the extra U in the name" but no one in the entire galaxy has ever seen the name written down at that point.

Actually Thrawn noticed the "Joruus C'baoth's Pad - All Others Keep Out!" on the hut

BTW I didn't look up the name and did it from memory. How bad did I gently caress it up?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I forgot that Loki is actually a frost giant and not Asgardian. Why does he look human then? Or does he actually look like an ice giant and he's projecting that image instead? None of that really makes any sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was the runt of the litter. When Odin took him he made him to look like an Asgardian.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I forgot that Loki is actually a frost giant and not Asgardian. Why does he look human then? Or does he actually look like an ice giant and he's projecting that image instead? None of that really makes any sense.

Weve been over this, Ice Giant is a slur and the two groups are barely ethnically different from each other and if you think Loki should look different youve bought into Asgards institutionalized racism.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crows Turn Off posted:

- Odin finds him as an infant Frost Giant.
- Loki is the son of Laufey, the leader of the Frost Giants.
- Odin just genocided most of the Frost Giant race and feels guilty/shows mercy to the infant.
- His decision to not finish the genocide is not popular on Asgard.
- He disguises Loki as an Asgardian and raises him as a son.
- Loki doesn't realize that he is not Asgardian until the spell briefly falters.
- He goes to Laufey to ask him what the deal is.
- He has always loved Odin and sought his approval, but resented the fact that Thor was in line to be King. He thought that Odin was unfair because Thor was the oldest.
- When he figures out that he is not Odin's biological son, then he thinks that it is not because he is the younger son, but that Odin has secretly hated him the whole time.

He still allows the spell to function because he sees himself as Asgardian and he is going to "earn" the Throne. Also, nobody else knows about his heritage and they wouldn't accept him as a ruler if they did.

In Thor 1, he decides to finish the genocide on his actual dad to get fake Dad's approval and kick Thor out of the line of succession.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 12, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, most people who are 20 aren't that familiar with the old Star War movies, in my experience.

People tend to forget that in the late 80's and early 90's you didn't have to set out to see Star Wars, it was unavoidable if you owned a television. It seemed like once a week there was a Star Wars marathon on cable, there was just no way around seeing them at some point. Things are different now, there are a lot more entertainment options available to kids and the OT is not nearly as prevalent on cable as it was during that time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

- He has always loved Odin and sought his approval, but resented the fact that Thor was in line to be King.

Not really. Loki didn't resent Thor. He didn't actually want to rule Asgard, he just thought (correctly) that Thor, being a brash warmonger, would be a disastrous king. It was only once Thor was banished and Odin in the Odinsleep that Frigga told Loki he had to lead.

Then again, that last part was in a deleted scene, but nothing in the proper movie contradicts it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

Not really. Loki didn't resent Thor. He didn't actually want to rule Asgard, he just thought (correctly) that Thor, being a brash warmonger, would be a disastrous king. It was only once Thor was banished and Odin in the Odinsleep that Frigga told Loki he had to lead.

Then again, that last part was in a deleted scene, but nothing in the proper movie contradicts it.

He resents the fact that Thor is in line to be king. He thinks that Thor is a moron and the fact that Odin still thinks he should be first in line is ridiculous and unfair.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

In Thor 1, he decides to finish the genocide on his actual dad to get fake Dad's approval and kick Thor out of the line of succession.

IIRC in Avengers and in The Dark World he introduces himself to people as "Loki, of Joutenheim."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

He resents the fact that Thor is in line to be king. He thinks that Thor is a moron and the fact that Odin still thinks he should be first in line is ridiculous and unfair.

I mean, this is getting kind of pedantic, but I think there's a difference between resenting, implying bitterness, and just realizing, rightly, that Thor isn't right for the job. It's only after Loki's prank backfires and his whole life crumbles around him that he comes to resent Thor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I mean, this is getting kind of pedantic, but I think there's a difference between resenting, implying bitterness, and just realizing, rightly, that Thor isn't right for the job. It's only after Loki's prank backfires and his whole life crumbles around him that he comes to resent Thor.

There's clearly bitterness there. He has always known his entire life that he was not the favored son, and then he finds out that actually he's not even Odin's son at all. So yea I think resentful is a very accurate word for what he is.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Originally it was supposed to be a deranged clone of Obi-wan but Lucasarts said no. How a deranged clone of Luke's hand made it through, I don't know.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Guys, I heard the actor playing Spider-man has not read the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Wtf is going on here?

#notmyspiderman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UmOk posted:

Guys, I heard the actor playing Spider-man has not read the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Wtf is going on here?

#notmyspiderman

Nerdface is the new blackface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

People tend to forget that in the late 80's and early 90's you didn't have to set out to see Star Wars, it was unavoidable if you owned a television. It seemed like once a week there was a Star Wars marathon on cable, there was just no way around seeing them at some point. Things are different now, there are a lot more entertainment options available to kids and the OT is not nearly as prevalent on cable as it was during that time.

also he's British so cable marathons are less of a thing

• Locked thread