Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can that datel amiibo thing load amiibo bins or will it only work with amiibo that you put on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Of course it does, datel is like gameshark in terms of their product focus

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Of course it does, datel is like gameshark in terms of their product focus

I don't know what you mean by that exactly but if it can load bins I'm good

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can that datel amiibo thing load amiibo bins or will it only work with amiibo that you put on it?

It loads bins onto the power tag

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

robot roll call posted:

I liked it because I took this game to be at the way end of the timeline and he ditched all that poo poo eons ago. At this point he's just a malevolent force. I liked the little nod Urbosa gave to him assuming the form of a Gerudo long ago and I was actually pretty creeped out by his first form's' kind of human corpse face. The second form was easy as poo poo but it looked awesome and it was pretty cool to get the light bow.. It felt like a good capper to me but maybe a lot of that is because I beat every shrine and went in there with the classic Link outfit, Master Sword and Hylian Shield.

I just finished the game today. 75 hours and apparently only 23% of the map unlocked.

Final battle was cool, but man was it easy. I will admit I went in with the best armor fully upgraded, best shield, best sword, ate a food for extra hearts, drank a portion for 3x Attack for 30 minutes. I was loving ready for this epic showdown. And then so disappointed to see that it was barely a challenge. Never even went through my initial hearts or used

I mean, I know I was super powered up, but there was no trick to the final battle I though, it was essentially the first phase of reflect the beam, attack with the sword. Divine beasts took away half the damage so it barely took any time. Second phase was essentially running around him and using the bow and arrow to hit glowing spots. Ganon never even touched me, though my horse died

I was totally hoping for some final form that was more human, and would be on the same par of difficulty as some of the Lynel fights. But nope... I can totally see how people can do this as a speed run with no extra hearts or armor now.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I just finished the game today. 75 hours and apparently only 23% of the map unlocked.

Final battle was cool, but man was it easy. I will admit I went in with the best armor fully upgraded, best shield, best sword, ate a food for extra hearts, drank a portion for 3x Attack for 30 minutes. I was loving ready for this epic showdown. And then so disappointed to see that it was barely a challenge. Never even went through my initial hearts or used

I mean, I know I was super powered up, but there was no trick to the final battle I though, it was essentially the first phase of reflect the beam, attack with the sword. Divine beasts took away half the damage so it barely took any time. Second phase was essentially running around him and using the bow and arrow to hit glowing spots. Ganon never even touched me, though my horse died

I was totally hoping for some final form that was more human, and would be on the same par of difficulty as some of the Lynel fights. But nope... I can totally see how people can do this as a speed run with no extra hearts or armor now.

Keep in mind that fighting him without defeating the Divine Beasts means you not only have to face him at full health, but every Divine Beast boss as well, in a pre-Ganon boss rush with no saves or checkpoints between them, meaning if you lose at any point, you start the whole thing over.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This was somehow the last shrine I did.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ProjektorBoy posted:

Be more sanctimonious about it. That'll win 'em over.

Anyway, I may possibly be in the minority here, but ever since roughly Majora's Mask I've read all Gorons as variants of The Macho Man Randy Savage and I've yet to find any errors.

This is my favorite place in the game

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nephzinho posted:

:same:

When I finally had the entire map explored I mas missing this and the seal racing. Both of these bugged me because I had on several occasions been exploring and walked right by them without noticing.

I spent like 90 minutes checking places on the map I didn't think I had properly explored for the two missing shrines before I caved and looked them up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xaris posted:

Anyways it was time to wrap up the game. Ganon was kind of weak poo poo, especially phase 2. Even Thunderblight was harder really. I did have my timing down perfectly for reflecting beams by the end of the game which felt good though. Still good ending. I think one thing I liked about OoT is there was some personality to Gannon which made the revenge all that sweeter, I wasn't quite feeling him as a boss here.

Yeah, Ganon falls flat because he's just evil incarnate and there's nearly no backstory to him. He's just there and you beat him. Ganon's never been really flushed out in any Zelda outside of Wind Waker but at least in all of the other games he had a motive. In Breath of the Wild it's just "He's the ultimate evil force and he destroyed stuff but now he's just chilling in Hyrule Castle because... well we don't really know." I never really felt that Ganon was a threat to the world and the world doesn't feel like it was left in ruin because of a great disaster, it just looks like everyone fled and poo poo was left to crumble because no one took care of things.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

s.i.r.e. posted:

In Breath of the Wild it's just "He's the ultimate evil force and he destroyed stuff but now he's just chilling in Hyrule Castle because... well we don't really know." I never really felt that Ganon was a threat to the world and the world doesn't feel like it was left in ruin because of a great disaster, it just looks like everyone fled and poo poo was left to crumble because no one took care of things.

Well... Zelda has been holding Ganon back for the past 100 years in the castle

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

s.i.r.e. posted:

it just looks like everyone fled and poo poo was left to crumble because no one took care of things.

I didn't get this impression at all. Hyrule castle town looks like it got magically nuked. The temple of time and surrounding area on the plateau gave an immediate impression of a massive battleground. Rusted weapons and derelict guardians everywhere. Coming across Fort Hateno for the first time made it seem to me like poo poo was barely held back with derelict guardians literally getting destroyed as they started cresting the wall.

Yeah, the impression I got immediately at the start of the game was that something really really bad happened.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Also because for normal people even fighting basic bokoblins is hard and blood moons (that only exist because of ganon) that happen randomly revive them makes it really hard for the cities to expand out too far.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like this game a lot because it's the new Zelda and I have always enjoyed a new Zelda, even Spirit Tracks.

It has the absolute worst dungeons and bosses of any 3D Zelda I've played. The shrines were a neat idea, but after a while I stopped being excited to find one because I already knew what my reward was going to be. The Divine Beasts were incredibly boring by themselves, and only Elephant and Camel felt interesting in any way to me because the lead up to them was really good. I really dug helping out the Zora and the Gerudo. It felt good, the actual invasion sequences were pretty fun, and really played up to the sheer scale of what we were attempting to do. This in turn further enhances the overall scale of Hyrule. These were good... and then you get inside and it's more "find a map and five terminals, please care about the voice that is talking to you now". The visual design in each beast is bland as hell, and the ability to control parts of the beast, while awesome on paper, just doesn't hold up against the best of the franchise's dungeons.

It says a lot about the enemy designs in this game where your most interesting opponents are regular encounters outside of the dungeons and shrines. Designated boss enemies can't hold a candle to a Lynel, what amounts to an ascended mook. Unfortunately, of the limited enemy types, only the Lynel really stays interesting by the end of the game. Bokoblins, Lizals, and Moblins end up being nuisances that, in some cases, are simply there to soak up weapon durability. Fortunately, there's basically no reason, ever, to fight the spongier variants outside of wanting to.

Weapon durability still sucks, and it made me wonder why Link's blade wasn't "broken" at the end of one of his memories where he apparently Dynasty Warrior'd a mountain's worth of enemies, including numerous white lynels.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Master Sword has drat good durability if you're not spamming the beam attack like a madman (I spam the beam attack like a madman)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ice Fist posted:

I didn't get this impression at all. Hyrule castle town looks like it got magically nuked. The temple of time and surrounding area on the plateau gave an immediate impression of a massive battleground. Rusted weapons and derelict guardians everywhere. Coming across Fort Hateno for the first time made it seem to me like poo poo was barely held back with derelict guardians literally getting destroyed as they started cresting the wall.

Yeah, the impression I got immediately at the start of the game was that something really really bad happened.

:same:

I was like, "Oh, poo poo!" as I came across a lot of these locations for the first time. They were really impactful, especially locations like the Temple of Time. It was immediately apparent that some Serious poo poo went down and was only barely beat back.

In lighter news, I finally beat the last Divine Beast and I rewarded myself with clothes! Now I think I will upgrade all my armor and finish the shrines before I face Ganon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I also put all the reward weapons on my wall and never used them

(Except the trident for that one dumb shrine that took me way too long to figure out)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, Ganon falls flat because he's just evil incarnate and there's nearly no backstory to him. He's just there and you beat him. Ganon's never been really flushed out in any Zelda outside of Wind Waker but at least in all of the other games he had a motive. In Breath of the Wild it's just "He's the ultimate evil force and he destroyed stuff but now he's just chilling in Hyrule Castle because... well we don't really know." I never really felt that Ganon was a threat to the world and the world doesn't feel like it was left in ruin because of a great disaster, it just looks like everyone fled and poo poo was left to crumble because no one took care of things.

I still don't understand why Hyrule isn't some military dictatorship. There's a giant Calamity Ganon swirling inside a snow globe in the middle of the country. You'd think everyone left alive would be preparing for the day Calamity Ganon is free, especially since all of their weapons are either destroyed or turned against them. I guess I want Starship Troopers in Hyrule. Would you like to know more?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Master Sword has drat good durability if you're not spamming the beam attack like a madman (I spam the beam attack like a madman)
Or like me and use it to chop boulders and trees :toot:

The rag doll in this is a little insane and poo poo goes flying off cliffs if you bomb boulders.

I also wish Master Sword and the Powers regenerated even if you didn't use it all up. Kinda dumb that you might as well use all 3 Rito Fly when you just use 1 because it doesn't recharge

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Xaris posted:

I also wish Master Sword and the Powers regenerated even if you didn't use it all up. Kinda dumb that you might as well use all 3 Rito Fly when you just use 1 because it doesn't recharge

:agreed:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Xaris posted:

Most of the trees I chopped down were chopped with the Master Sword. I'd end up using it on one or two enemies, then head into the woods to wreck the sword so it'd be back to full charge when I needed it again... Then usually I'd end up breaking it out a few minutes after that when my disposable weapons were gone, perpetuating the cycle.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 12, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

gariig posted:

I still don't understand why Hyrule isn't some military dictatorship. There's a giant Calamity Ganon swirling inside a snow globe in the middle of the country. You'd think everyone left alive would be preparing for the day Calamity Ganon is free, especially since all of their weapons are either destroyed or turned against them. I guess I want Starship Troopers in Hyrule. Would you like to know more?

He's only been swirling since Link woke up. When you first start the game, the castle looks sunny and normal. The miasma doesn't appear until the cutscene when you first see Calamity Ganon.

People also mention that it used to be a lot less dangerous (although still dangerous) to explore the castle grounds.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I've made some progress in grasping the game mechanics a lot the past few days. More than hearts, more than stamina, more than gear. Being able to work within the limits of what you have is a skill unto itself. I've only acquired Vah Ruta's power so far. I have 7 hearts and 3 stamina upgrades.

In a single 3 hour session after building up a ton of loot I was able to kill a Lynel, 2 Hynox, a Stone Talus, and a fully functional Guardian. Then the loot pickups from those fights kind of started this cascading effect. The next day I was able to easily do the 3 Hinox Shrine Quest. The session the day after that it was 2 Hinoxes and 2 Guardians without suffering a single scratch.

I now have the weapons and supplies to feel like I can take on almost anything, or I can go back and start slowly farming the really great swords & shields. I can buy all the bomb arrows and armor upgrades I want without flinching. Since I can easily take out guardians, I'm up to my eyeballs in Ancient parts so I can sell those for a handy sum.

I guess everyone reaches a particular threshold where you kind of blow the doors open and can start establishing a rhythm? The only part that gave me pause yesterday was the game having a sense of humor by placing a Guardian next to a Hynox just east of the Ranch Ruins.

I feel like that was a character-building moment for players and they should stumble upon it by themselves so they can learn some lessons.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ice Fist posted:

I didn't at all. Hyrule is a lush, pastorale landscape with beauty at every turn, it's not until you get close to the castle where things look like a wasteland. Where villages are filled with people living their lives without giving a poo poo Ganon is around and generally happy. It doesn't feel like a world of strife. People are constantly walking the roads by themselves and there's defenseless hermits and stables that live in peace. Hell you even build a new town from scratch. Ganon doesn't feel like a threat to the world.

BOTW wild always had me wondering "What is this ruin?" but never "Why is it ruined?" The game has a wonderful air of mystery to it but it never felt apocalyptic to me. The one time it did was when I went to the Castle, but more so when I found the Lon Lon Ranch ruins but that's probably because it hit my nostalgia hard.

gariig posted:

Please continue, I like this idea.

Rand Brittain posted:

He's only been swirling since Link woke up. When you first start the game, the castle looks sunny and normal. The miasma doesn't appear until the cutscene when you first see Calamity Ganon.

So what you're saying is that Link should make the ultimate sacrifice and off himself so Ganon never comes back?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ProjektorBoy posted:

The only part that gave me pause yesterday was the game having a sense of humor by placing a Guardian next to a Hynox just east of the Ranch Ruins.

I feel like that was a character-building moment for players and they should stumble upon it by themselves so they can learn some lessons.

I've yet to see this in the game, but it seems awesome...

https://gfycat.com/RequiredAstonishingAmurminnow

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

I've yet to see this in the game, but it seems awesome...

https://gfycat.com/RequiredAstonishingAmurminnow

I was looking at as many angles as possible so that exactly this could happen.

Basically I love how in this game you can do things the developer-intended way, or use the tools at hand to brute-force your way through it. You can always build a sufficient safety net for yourself for almost any situation.

Also this is the worst error message in the history of error messages

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 12, 2017

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I made the Talus and Guardian by Kakariko fight. I also threw a Cucco at them. The Talus won easily.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I kind of regret hoarding all the arrows instead of going hog-wild because they are drat cool to shoot. I had something like 120+ EACH for Bomb, Fire, Ice and Shock Arrows that I hoarded up until the end b/c I was afraid to use them since they were expensive to buy. (I only had like 20 regular arrows tho) But I also never really had use for them (except Bomb Arrorws) because Lynels are basically immune to elements and none of the enemies required anything special to take out although I guess could have helped to instant-kill some of the elemental guys quicker.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ProjektorBoy posted:

I guess everyone reaches a particular threshold where you kind of blow the doors open and can start establishing a rhythm?

Yeah I think my tipping point was when using my shield finally clicked. Not having to be terrified of the guardians was a huge help. Then learning to dodge attacks on a semi-consistent basis.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I think my tipping point was when using my shield finally clicked. Not having to be terrified of the guardians was a huge help. Then learning to dodge attacks on a semi-consistent basis.

Yes. Especially this. There was a Guardian on the way up to the top of the Dueling Peaks and I just set aside my anxiety so I could parry the poo poo out of it. It was dead about a minute later and I was thrilled.

Also helps that the sweetspot for a headshot on Guardians is actually huge so you can still do a lot with arrows too.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

thatguy posted:

I made the Talus and Guardian by Kakariko fight. I also threw a Cucco at them. The Talus won easily.

Nowhere near as grand, but I was pleased to discover that you can prod baby igneo taluses into hot springs to cool them off, then pick them up and throw them as usual.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

Nowhere near as grand, but I was pleased to discover that you can prod baby igneo taluses into hot springs to cool them off, then pick them up and throw them as usual.

You can throw them!? I've been dropping bombs and kiting them into them.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finally beat BotW... by far my favorite Zelda game and maybe favorite game ever. Looks like I got about 120 hours out of it. They definitely set a high bar for any future Zelda game.

Found all but 12 shrines on my own, only had to youtube solutions on a couple. No loving way I'm getting every seed, found enough to max out weapons. Does anything special happen if you find all 900 or whatever?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You get a piece of poo poo. Literally.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You get a piece of poo poo. Literally.

I'm glad Nintendo hired Yoko Taro to assist in the new Zelda

It really does blow my mind there are 900 of those guys. I felt like I explored at least 85% of the map, and of that I was constantly picking up every rock, melting every icicle, bombing every piles, moving every piece of metal and rolling evey rock down a hill, climbing almost every peak (there were a shitton of places I thought there would be Korok but wasn't, like Death Mountain I was on every got drat pinnacle), jumped in every lily circle, did all the matching puzzles/missing piece blocks, and I still ended up only getting 150. Like I could believe there are 300, maybe even 400, but 900? holy gently caress

I guess the major things I didn't do was smash every pot and and climb every tree (but I did most of the suspicious ones).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 12, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

HERAK posted:

You can throw them!? I've been dropping bombs and kiting them into them.

If you have the Flamebreaker armor set's Fireproof bonus, you can also just pick them up and throw them. Same deal with the Freezeproof perk and the icy ones.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I intentionally left the forgotten temple as the last shrine so I didn't have to go far for the prize for completing all 120 shrines. Goron fire bros was the last shrine I had to find and was shrine 119. The blood moon shrine was # 118

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Finally scanned my Wolf Link amiibo. He's a great Yiga counter.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is my game broken? I'm probably 20-30 hours in, completed about 30 shrines and a DB while having my Slate fully upgraded, and I've only had 1 Yiga encounter. It was early on in the game too, when I was tasked to head to Kakariko Village for the 1st time. It spawned at the bridge near Dueling Stables.

Is there some sort of eventual trigger where random Yiga spawns happen to an annoying degree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ProjektorBoy posted:

Is my game broken? I'm probably 20-30 hours in, completed about 30 shrines and a DB while having my Slate fully upgraded, and I've only had 1 Yiga encounter. It was early on in the game too, when I was tasked to head to Kakariko Village for the 1st time. It spawned at the bridge near Dueling Stables.

Is there some sort of eventual trigger where random Yiga spawns happen to an annoying degree?

Have you gone through the Gerudo area? Yiga show up randomly as travelers before then. After you do some story stuff, then Yiga appear out of nowhere to attack you.