Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Lil' tidbit for those unaware about Jason Todd's death, DC asked their readers to vote on whether he should live or die via a toll free number.

Apparently most of the votes for "kill" was just one guy calling in over and over

God bless him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ballot stuffing or no, it was a landslide vote.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it did lead to the creation of red hood tho

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Apparently most of the votes for "kill" was just one guy calling in over and over

God bless him

But enough about Tim Drake.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

MinibarMatchman posted:

if that's a premier skin I hope they poo poo on Rocksteady even more by having voicelines say "it's obviously you Jason you're not fooling anyone"

I genuinely enjoyed the hell out of Arkham Knight, and I'd still love for this to happen. I haven't met a single person who didn't call that reveal.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Sdoots posted:

I genuinely enjoyed the hell out of Arkham Knight, and I'd still love for this to happen. I haven't met a single person who didn't call that reveal.

People more mock how conceited Rocksteady was regarding the impenetrability of its "twist" than the reveal itself. I'm sure if Todd's a new unique character (ugh) the AK costume will be one of his outfit customization styles.

For all the hate it got, I genuinely loved slow ridin' the batmobile down the streets "non-lethaly" picking off fleeing thugs with the on-board cannon. Not as much as taze-drifting into them, however. As if adding electrocution to the mix somehow mitigates the harm of being checked into the adjacent building by the loving bat tank.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 12, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Nu_tlWLKA

Definitely not lethal.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

For context, that spark that flies off the car wasn't car damage; it was the super-tazed driver getting blown out of the vehicle.

Maybe it was a remotely piloted drone thug in the Arkham Knight's militia.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Was there ever some meta, Morrison-sequel story where Red Hood gets revenge on fans who voted for his death?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FunkMonkey posted:

Ballot stuffing or no, it was a landslide vote.

I always thought that too, but apparently there was less than 100 vote difference. If there was a guy robo-calling to spam votes, he probably does get credit for killing Jason.

Kurtofan posted:

it did lead to the creation of red hood tho

Weeeelllll, technically the Red Hood is older, and was the Joker. But I think the Joker's origin story now is considered 'anything/everything', as he's treated as a malevolent constant. Although in the current New 52 I believe there are three separate Jokers who are running around, the classic prankster criminal with a Joker-faced helicopter, the Killing Joke version, and the cut-my-face-off evil incarnate Joker.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I always thought that too, but apparently there was less than 100 vote difference. If there was a guy robo-calling to spam votes, he probably does get credit for killing Jason.

Weeeelllll, technically the Red Hood is older, and was the Joker. But I think the Joker's origin story now is considered 'anything/everything', as he's treated as a malevolent constant. Although in the current New 52 I believe there are three separate Jokers who are running around, the classic prankster criminal with a Joker-faced helicopter, the Killing Joke version, and the cut-my-face-off evil incarnate Joker.

I didn't know that, good work comic book nut job.

As of the present timeline, there is only one Joker and he is dead until they get bored and decide to revive him. A prequel arc in B-Money very strongly implies that the old school Red Hood origin is the canonical one for New 52, and the Joker was just a charismatic gang leader. There was vaguery over whether the Joker is some immortal boogeyman that used a Lazarus Pit hidden beneath Gotham to maintain his life over centuries; a theory B-Money ultimately dismissed. The last maybe possibly sighting of Joker was a very eccentric man who had an ominous conversation with a then-amnesiac Bruce shortly before the start of Rebirth. As of now even Bruce grudgingly believes Joker is dead and gone.

There was actually a pretty impressive long run twist that Joker went undercover as a bright-eyed, optimistic new orderly at Arkham after his "death" in Death of the Family. He seemingly was doing great progressive things at Arkham and even earned B-Money's trust and respect, when in truth he was laying the groundwork for Endgame.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

HMS Beagle posted:

Was there ever some meta, Morrison-sequel story where Red Hood gets revenge on fans who voted for his death?

No but he became a tentacle monster once

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

No genderswap premiere skins confirmed, which completely squashes that fakeass "leak" which had stuff like Batwoman = Batman on it. That was the same one that said Vixen was in the roster.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HMS Beagle posted:

Closest thing was a Morrison story where Red Hood was a straight-up villain. He kidnapped Batman and Robin (Dick and Damian), stripped them down and made an announcement on TV that if a certain phone number gets enough calls, the cameras will go live and show the world who Batman and Robin really are.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

No genderswap premiere skins confirmed, which completely squashes that fakeass "leak" which had stuff like Batwoman = Batman on it. That was the same one that said Vixen was in the roster.

Awwww I kind of want Batwoman all the same. Fingers crossed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Really like Scarecrow's "fear" mechanic that builds up. He's going to be a real beast with the projectile absorb/long range/teleport. Between that and Grodd's telekinetic juggernaut charge, there sure are a lot of anti-zoner character options, which are welcome when going up against Supergirl or Dr. Fate

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Scarecrow convinces me that NRS next project should be Terrordrome, but better.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FunkMonkey posted:

I didn't know that, good work comic book nut job.

As of the present timeline, there is only one Joker and he is dead until they get bored and decide to revive him. A prequel arc in B-Money very strongly implies that the old school Red Hood origin is the canonical one for New 52, and the Joker was just a charismatic gang leader. There was vaguery over whether the Joker is some immortal boogeyman that used a Lazarus Pit hidden beneath Gotham to maintain his life over centuries; a theory B-Money ultimately dismissed. The last maybe possibly sighting of Joker was a very eccentric man who had an ominous conversation with a then-amnesiac Bruce shortly before the start of Rebirth. As of now even Bruce grudgingly believes Joker is dead and gone.

Didn't that take place pre-Re-Birth?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Liar Lyre posted:

Scarecrow convinces me that NRS next project should be Terrordrome, but better.

I would flip my poo poo and pay whatever $$$ NRS wanted for a dumb collectors edition if they did this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Didn't that take place pre-Re-Birth?

Yes, all of it did. Rebirth is a continuation of the new 52 story after Bruce computers his brain back to normal. If there's been mention of the Joker in Rebirth, I've missed it.

It's my impression Rebirth is not a universal reinvention like Flashpoint/New 52 was, just a numbering reset to entice new readers. Detective Comics hasn't even reset its issue numbers. Am I mistaken?

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 12, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Firestorm gonna be loving crazy if he gets stacks of his ability to heal, pretty much the ultimate keepaway guy because he has so little in close range combat that the combos they showed amounted to like a 20 second thing lol. Will be interesting to see how he matches up against different guys.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FunkMonkey posted:

Yes, all of it did. Rebirth is a continuation of the new 52 story after Bruce computers his brain back to normal. If there's been mention of the Joker in Rebirth, I've missed it.

It's my impression Rebirth is not a universal reinvention like Flashpoint/New 52 was, just a numbering reset to entice new readers. Detective Comics hasn't even reset its issue numbers. Am I mistaken?

I ask because the it was pretty explicit that there were 3 distinct Jokers, although I'm not current on the ongoing bat books so I don't know how that's been clarified/expanded upon.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Gorilla Grodd can FLY.

Kinda wish they had 16 bit demo the character instead of the usual 2 stooges because they barely can play the game. I feel there's quite a bit more there than what they have shown.

One more month and the ape army will take to the skies.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

poo poo, I forgot the Watchtower was today. Any VoDs?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

For anyone who missed it, here's a Youtube video of the whole stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GB_aZUELWg

Bonus Black Adam appearance at the beginning and subtle hints about revealing Multiverse (tower) Mode.

Poison Ivy is next week.

Remaining characters that haven't been shown in-depth are:
Deadshot
Braniac
Catwoman
Cyborg
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Black Adam
Aquaman

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I like the animation on the drone thing Cyborg summons.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I ask because the it was pretty explicit that there were 3 distinct Jokers, although I'm not current on the ongoing bat books so I don't know how that's been clarified/expanded upon.

Looked into this and I guess you're right. It never really came up in the Batman comic itself, which strikes me as terribly ironic.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are there going to be default gear sets for each character? Some of these new gear moves seem rad but I can't see them ever being used in tournaments if they have to be manually equipped etc.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fadam posted:

Are there going to be default gear sets for each character? Some of these new gear moves seem rad but I can't see them ever being used in tournaments if they have to be manually equipped etc.

I don't know if it's a dev feature or not, but in one of the streams they were switching between "loadouts" that had been preconfigured.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fadam posted:

lol if you think tournaments will even bother to give a poo poo about things like aesthetic gear or premier skins. for gently caress's sake even Street Fighter 5 has to ban stages for being too flashy.

for regular play you can keep 3 or 4 loadout sets for yourself

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

MinibarMatchman posted:

For anyone who missed it, here's a Youtube video of the whole stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GB_aZUELWg

Bonus Black Adam appearance at the beginning and subtle hints about revealing Multiverse (tower) Mode.

Poison Ivy is next week.

Remaining characters that haven't been shown in-depth are:
Deadshot
Braniac
Catwoman
Cyborg
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Black Adam
Aquaman

and darksied

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I really hope Darkseid is good. Goro was a bit of a disappointment but I got a lot of hate messages winning with him calling it pay2win lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, Darkseid was a secret playable character in MKvsDC but it felt like a last minute addition, he didn't have a full combo set or a fatality. I hope they do him justice this time around.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

Closest thing was a Morrison story where Red Hood was a straight-up villain. He kidnapped Batman and Robin (Dick and Damian), stripped them down and made an announcement on TV that if a certain phone number gets enough calls, the cameras will go live and show the world who Batman and Robin really are.

There's also this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

A harsh, poignant lens shined onto that most base truth of human nature: that nobody likes Arsenal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wenger must walk

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol @ "Die, you old chap"

what the gently caress was Red Hood's point here other than cribbing from countless works of edgy fiction and films

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol @ "Die, you old chap"

what the gently caress was Red Hood's point here other than cribbing from countless works of edgy fiction and films

Just for the record, I just picked up pages from two different issues on rough chronological order.

That said, Jason's point is to highlight the differences between his and Roy's mindset. Roy is an optimist, always willing to give everyone a second chance and whom really wants to be a hero. Jason on the other hand is cynical and his attempt to believe on people backfired, leading to Roy's predicament.

The scene ends with Jason dissolving his partnership with Roy so he wouldn't be dragged on Jason's mindset as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I guess I'd be cynical too, if I was beaten to death by The Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I just saw that they confirmed that shaders change the colors of Green Lantern's constructs, which is actually cool as hell

• Locked thread