Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

There's clearly bitterness there. He has always known his entire life that he was not the favored son, and then he finds out that actually he's not even Odin's son at all. So yea I think resentful is a very accurate word for what he is.

I just watched the first half-hour of Thor and there's almost nothing to imply it. When young Thor says he's ready to lead Asgard, Loki says "I am, too!" When Odin refers to Thor as his heir during his coronation ceremony, Loki looks down noncommittally. After Odin chastises Thor for wanting to attack Jotunheim, Loki says he agrees with Thor about the jotun and Laufey. All of that is kind of vague, against several looks of regret and outright horror Loki shows over the course of the whole debacle.

He's bitter later, yes, at Odin, for lying to him his whole life. That's when his whole inferiority complex springs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

well why not posted:

also he's British so cable marathons are less of a thing

How did people get by without holiday marathons of Godzilla and Die Hard?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phylodox posted:

I just watched the first half-hour of Thor and there's almost nothing to imply it. When young Thor says he's ready to lead Asgard, Loki says "I am, too!" When Odin refers to Thor as his heir during his coronation ceremony, Loki looks down noncommittally. After Odin chastises Thor for wanting to attack Jotunheim, Loki says he agrees with Thor about the jotun and Laufey. All of that is kind of vague, against several looks of regret and outright horror Loki shows over the course of the whole debacle.

He's bitter later, yes, at Odin, for lying to him his whole life. That's when his whole inferiority complex springs up.

He's lying about supporting Thor's plan, though. He says that to convince Thor to go through with it and then tattles to get Thor in trouble and provoke Asgard and the Frost Giants.

He does this to get Thor kicked out so he can take the spot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New JL poster

https://twitter.com/justiceleagueuk/status/852196248421625858

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
they could probably unite better if Wonder Woman and Batman got out the way

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I appreciate how assertive the sun is in all these Justice League posters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That poster jogged my memory.

Some of the earlier stuff for Justice League used the line "Unite the Seven." Any guess for that seventh hero?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's lying about supporting Thor's plan, though. He says that to convince Thor to go through with it and then tattles to get Thor in trouble and provoke Asgard and the Frost Giants.

He does this to get Thor kicked out so he can take the spot.

The acting and shot choices don't really support that, though. When Thor says "Let's go gently caress up some jotuns!" Loki seems genuinely nonplussed and exasperated. When he reveals that he told the guard about their trip he seems honest in his intent. Either Hiddleston and Brannaugh did a poor job of conveying what they meant or it's not really there. The only inkling we get that Loki's not on the up-and-up is when Sif says Loki's always been jealous of Thor, but she's Thor's devoted buddy, so I'm not sure if we're supposed to trust what she says just then.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Some of the earlier stuff for Justice League used the line "Unite the Seven." Any guess for that seventh hero?

The first time they used that tag line was on a poster of Aquaman.

I just assumed they meant seas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Manchester Black

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The seventh is obviously Gym Gordon

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they're saving GL and MM as a surprise then awesome. Supes can be 8.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

The acting and shot choices don't really support that, though. When Thor says "Let's go gently caress up some jotuns!" Loki seems genuinely nonplussed and exasperated. When he reveals that he told the guard about their trip he seems honest in his intent. Either Hiddleston and Brannaugh did a poor job of conveying what they meant or it's not really there. The only inkling we get that Loki's not on the up-and-up is when Sif says Loki's always been jealous of Thor, but she's Thor's devoted buddy, so I'm not sure if we're supposed to trust what she says just then.

He's Loki, The Trickster. If you know a bit about Norse mythology you know that he's never on the up-and-up. Never.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

He's Loki, The Trickster. If you know a bit about Norse mythology you know that he's never on the up-and-up. Never.

Yes, but he's clearly using his tricks for what he honestly (and rightly) believes is the best for Asgard. Basically, everyone else, from Sif and the Warriors Three to Odin himself, is wrong. They're all blinded by their feelings for Thor.

Unless you're saying Tom Hiddleston's performance and Kenny Branaugh's direction are part of the deception, in which case that's a very alternative reading.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

Yes, but he's clearly using his tricks for what he honestly (and rightly) believes is the best for Asgard. Basically, everyone else, from Sif and the Warriors Three to Odin himself, is wrong. They're all blinded by their feelings for Thor.

Unless you're saying Tom Hiddleston's performance and Kenny Branaugh's direction are part of the deception, in which case that's a very alternative reading.

It's pretty clear that Loki is up to something, but the movie doesn't reveal the full extent of his deception until later. It is very much intentional.

Hiddleston is not twirling his mustache, because the level of his betrayal is not supposed to be incredibly obvious at first. It's later revealed that he set everything up in the beginning and manipulated everyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Just because his belief is right and honest doesn't mean there's not resentment there. I'm not sure why you're making it a binary issue. He resents Thor because he is the favored son and in Loki's(arguably correct) opinion he doesn't deserve it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

It's pretty clear that Loki is up to something, but the movie doesn't reveal the full extent of his deception until later. It is very much intentional.

Hiddleston is not twirling his mustache, because the level of his betrayal is not supposed to be incredibly obvious at first.

He even says, when he goes to see Laufey later on, that it was all supposed to be "a bit of fun" and to protect Asgard from his brother's reign for a bit longer. Everything after that was things just spinning out of control. That's why Loki is such a great tragic character. He was right, but ended up suffering for it. If there's a villain, it's Odin.

Basebf555 posted:

Just because his belief is right and honest doesn't mean there's not resentment there. I'm not sure why you're making it a binary issue. He resents Thor because he is the favored son and in Loki's(arguably correct) opinion he doesn't deserve it.

Because that's one of the great things about the character and Hiddleston's performance: you see the resentment happen. After it's revealed that he's not really Odin's son, you see that jealousy come into being and basically take him over. Before that, his attitude towards Thor is chagrin.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 12, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

He even says, when he goes to see Laufey later on, that it was all supposed to be "a bit of fun" and to protect Asgard from his brother's reign for a bit longer. Everything after that was things just spinning out of control. That's why Loki is such a great tragic character. He was right, but ended up suffering for it. If there's a villain, it's Odin.

Again though, feelings like jealousy and resentment aren't only for villains. Loki has those feelings and yet at the same time there's a good argument that he is right in his belief that Thor isn't the best option for Asgard. It's not an either/or situation like you are making it out to be.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought Unite the 7 was Aqua Man's tagline and he had to like...I don't know, unite the 7 Seas or whatever. Like he should be ruling the entire ocean but its this fragmented collections of fiefdoms. Anyways Thats my story thanks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

Yes... but he reveals later that he is also playing Laufey and is going to genocide his own actual dad and the Frost Giants.

Loki's whole plan from the beginning was to manipulate people to get Thor out of the throne. He just changed his motivation for the manipulation when he figures out his past and becomes ashamed and even more desperate to prove himself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Because that's one of the great things about the character and Hiddleston's performance: you see the resentment happen. After it's revealed that he's not really Odin's son, you see that jealousy come into being and basically take him over. Before that, his attitude towards Thor is chagrin.

The resentment and jealousy is always there, but until he finds out about the big lie he is resigned to it, he is used to it. Finding out about Odin's lie makes him angry, but it doesn't change the fact that he's always resented Thor(rightly or wrongly)for being in the position he's in.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yes... but he reveals later that he is also playing Laufey and is going to genocide his own actual dad and the Frost Giants.

Loki's whole plan from the beginning was to manipulate people to get Thor out of the throne. He just changed his motivation for the manipulation when he figures out his past and becomes ashamed and even more desperate to prove himself.

I just disagree with that. That wasn't his plan from the beginning, it stems from him needing to prove himself, to be the best king of Asgard, stemming from the inferiority complex he develops when he finds out he's a jotun. Only by utterly obliterating Jotunheim can he be cleansed of that taint. The final irony is that, in the end, he becomes Thor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

UmOk posted:

Guys, I heard the actor playing Spider-man has not read the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Wtf is going on here?

#notmyspiderman

He should read about Luuke in preparation for the Clone Saga.

IInite the League?

Unrelated, but what would Loki's clone be called?

Looki

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
2nite

The league

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

I just disagree with that. That wasn't his plan from the beginning, it stems from him needing to prove himself, to be the best king of Asgard, stemming from the inferiority complex he develops when he finds out he's a jotun. Only by utterly obliterating Jotunheim can he be cleansed of that taint. The final irony is that, in the end, he becomes Thor.

So he's lived his entire life in the shadow of Thor, all the while believing in his heart that he is the better man to lead Asgard, and you're saying he had zero resentment or jealousy until he finds out he's a Jotun?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

TheKingofSprings posted:

2nite

The league

god dammit, beaten

edit:

This is the song they should use in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nu6z6NGtOs

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

So he's lived his entire life in the shadow of Thor, all the while believing in his heart that he is the better man to lead Asgard, and you're saying he had zero resentment or jealousy until he finds out he's a Jotun?

Well, I don't think he did believe himself to be the better man. He just knew Thor was a disaster. Like I said, the deleted scene where Loki becomes king seems to bear this out. He's presented with Odin's staff and he's genuinely nonplussed. It's only when he takes the staff and Frigga tells him to make his father proud that you see the wheels start to turn.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Josh Brolin is Cable

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-2-josh-brolin-play-cable-993232?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The worst possible choice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The worst possible choice.

Seems fine to me. More than fine actually, seems like a good fit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Meh. Uninspired but fine

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Seems fine to me. More than fine actually, seems like a good fit.

Yeah, the only weird part about this to me is that he's playing different Marvel characters in a Fox movie and a Marvel Studios movie that will likely be coming out within a few months of each other.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I would've rather seen the dude from Stranger Things or even the coach from Friday Night Lights take a crack at it. Brolin will be fine I'm sure, he can do gruff rear end in a top hat who smirks on occasion more than adequately, but it's just such a boring choice. Even Brad Pitt would've been more interesting, if for nothing else then to see him put on 30 lbs of muscle and ham it up a little.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

Yeah, the only weird part about this to me is that he's playing different Marvel characters in a Fox movie and a Marvel Studios movie that will likely be coming out within a few months of each other.

I don't think anyone really cares though. Hell, Marvel double dipped with Alfre Woodward.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Should have been Ron loving Perlman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My ideal Cable would have been the dude who played Quaritch in Avatar because he practically volunteered for it stating often he would love to play Cable in a Cable or future Deadpool movie, is a good actor, and has the look. Posting a picture also just because I will always find it hilarious this guy:

And this guy:

Are the same person.

Timby posted:

I'm hoping that eventually we get a single comic book movie that stars Brolin, Michael B. Jordan, Alfre Woodward, JK Simmons, and Chris Evans,

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 12, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hoping that eventually we get a single comic book movie that stars Brolin, Michael B. Jordan, Alfre Woodward, JK Simmons, and Chris Evans,

No Ryan Reynolds?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Phylodox posted:

No Ryan Reynolds?

Ideally it will have Deadpool but played by someone else so that Ryan Reynolds will have a lot of material to mock in Deadpool 3. AHAHA holy poo poo I forgot James Marsden.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

AHAHA holy poo poo I forgot James Marsden.

Everyone always does :(

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I don't get it. Why Brolin and why not someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

So Brolin is both Thanos in the MCU and Cable in the XCU?

• Locked thread