Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rakthar posted:

Military dad is a real champ. I feel like the shy roommate has some responsibility for not giving a heads up as to what a piece of crap he was.

Look I get if you don't want to stand up to your dad. But maybe it's relevant to mention what he's cool with as part of the whole "And he wants to come by for a few days" pitch.

she probably has no concept of boundaries or acceptable behavior with a dad as cartoonishly evil as that. she's probably a shell of a person and if OP describes the two of them as "relatively quiet" and her roomie as "kind of shy" then OP might have had a similar problem in the past. especially the moment the dad introduces himself as the new Man Of The House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

ravenkult posted:

There's stuff in the comments that tell some of the story.

''I didn't explain this clearly enough in the original post (but I updated it to try and make it more clear).
We are on separate leases for the apartment (one for each room). With your lease you can either transfer it to another person (which takes your name off the lease) or sublet it for a period of time (which keeps your name on it). Emma transferred her lease to her father. He's subletting it back to her.''
What kind of apartment complex has leases for each room? WTF?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ravenkult posted:

''I didn't explain this clearly enough in the original post (but I updated it to try and make it more clear).
We are on separate leases for the apartment (one for each room). With your lease you can either transfer it to another person (which takes your name off the lease) or sublet it for a period of time (which keeps your name on it). Emma transferred her lease to her father. He's subletting it back to her.''

That's loving unreal. Imagine having a lease where the person you are living with can change at any time and there's nothing you can do about it. That sounds like a brilliant thing to sign.

Lease chat today but really, what the gently caress kind of lease is that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rakthar posted:

That's loving unreal. Imagine having a lease where the person you are living with can change at any time and there's nothing you can do about it. That sounds like a brilliant thing to sign.

Lease chat today but really, what the gently caress kind of lease is that.

it's not uncommon for young people and student housing. in that case OP is hosed and should basically find another place to live ASAP

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

student housing is the only place I've encountered this but it's really common there

as far as I can tell from post history she did end up moving out and probably torpedoed her relationship with the other girl in the process, but you gotta warn someone when you bring crazy like that in the house

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

I lived in a college apartment complex that did this, so it's not unheard of.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Can non-students take over a lease though? Seems strange that some old crazy guy can just move into student housing.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

In a later comment she's looking for a new place to live.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

ravenkult posted:

There's stuff in the comments that tell some of the story.

Welp, time to move out, what a loving nutbar.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Einstein posted:

Can non-students take over a lease though? Seems strange that some old crazy guy can just move into student housing.

probably not but you'd have to fight that in court while angry dad polices your undies and gets in screaming matches with your boyfriend

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

She should bill him for the poured out alcohol.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I live in New York and my apartment is set up this way, it's not common but not unheard of. There are pros and cons, but one nice bit of it is that if one roommate wants to move out and the rest of you want to stay, it's the landlord's job to fill the room, not yours. I guess whether it's desirable depends on how much you'll be home

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I can almost vaguely understand her being a huge doormat out of fear of physical retaliation but why the boyfriend of all people thought it'd be okay to leave his girlfriend in that apartment with crazy dude is beyond me. I'm not a confrontational person at all but when people do get inappropriately in my face I don't just run away with my tail between my legs either.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My (21f) BF (21m) of six months who I thought I really loved said I looked like a "parading slut" when I work cheeky bikini bottoms at a resort pool. I can't give him a second chance, right?

Guy owned himself out of seeing her rear end.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Guy owned himself out of seeing her rear end.
He did see her rear end though; that's why he had a tantrum. Wearing a thong swimsuit suggests questionable judgment, and I don't think I could ever go back to my therapist if I saw him wearing one at the beach.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
My BF [24M] insists on hand-washing my [19F] bras and panties himself.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i hope this hasn't been posted yet because it's my favorite

Me [29F] with my husband [32M] of three years, I read his diary and am bewildered

quote:

Hi all,

I have been married to Mark for about three years. I think we have a strong marriage and we are now discussing the possibility of kids or pets. To get some other biographical details out of the way, I am employed part time and he has been employed full-time in the same job for about two and half years.
I have known throughout the marriage that Mark keeps a journal but I have never known where he stores it nor have I wanted to violate his privacy. However in a recent trip to his parents's house my curiosity was ignited and I couldn't hold it down. The details of the incident are too complicated and nuanced to go into here but they resulted in Mark's mom implying that his journal was a "record of grievances" due to a childhood incident. I am not proud of it but I got really scared that he was secretly hiding resentment towards me in his journal. So, while he was out yesterday I found his diary and read through it.

I was really taken aback by what I found because it wasn't at all what I expected. Most of the entries were very short--"Good day, finally got my reports in" type of stuff. All of the entries related to marital activities were likewise very short and lacking in detail: "/u/HusbandsDiary got me some golf clubs for our anniversary, very nice". There was almost no mention of day-to-day marriage stuff, even the kids or when we got into fights.

The really strange part, however, was that peppered between these really short entries were these really long ones that went into incredible detail about his boss's wife's cooking. He has never mentioned this to me before but apparently his boss's wife cooks for the work team sometimes and my husband thinks it's like the greatest thing ever. These are really lavish entries describing every aspect of the food--smell, taste, texture--and his attempts to identify every spice and savor every bite. I have never seen him pay so much attention to food before nor did I have any knowledge that he was apparently such a connoisseur. The way he describes the food is really almost erotic ("the sensuous aroma caressed my nostrils"--that type of thing). He doesn't do much cooking at home but when he does it's mostly grilling the standard stuff or making mashed potatoes. I also feel insecure because my cooking isn't super amazing; I try to make new recipes every once in a while but it's not my strong suit.

I'm too weirded out and insecure about this to know how to handle it. I guess my question is how to I react to this or address these issues? Is it worth revealing that I snooped on him to address this apparently huge part of his life that I don't know about? Am I just overreacting to this whole thing and should let it slide?

tl;dr: I read my husband's diary and found nearly nothing about myself but that he has a huge fascination with his boss's wife's food. I don't know how to approach the situation or if I even should.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Now I too am bewildered.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i hope this hasn't been posted yet because it's my favorite

Me [29F] with my husband [32M] of three years, I read his diary and am bewildered

Dude has a foodie blog, big deal.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

it takes like six seconds to go into reddit and find something moderately ridiculous if reading the goon peanut gallery is making you cry

maybe thirty to find one juicy enough to derail whatever extended inventory of what kind of socks each goon personally prefers

My (21f) BF (21m) of six months who I thought I really loved said I looked like a "parading slut" when I work cheeky bikini bottoms at a resort pool. I can't give him a second chance, right?

Excuse me but you simply look too sexy in your swimsuit glistening by the poolside, rather than have some fun in the sun before going back to our room to enjoy our youth, ima ruin everything for seemingly no reason.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

He did see her rear end though; that's why he had a tantrum. Wearing a thong swimsuit suggests questionable judgment, and I don't think I could ever go back to my therapist if I saw him wearing one at the beach.

hahahaha holy poo poo, really????? :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

should she have been wearing a burqa?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Mirth I know you and Leon have a weird antagonistic relationship but I feel like the fact that the sentence after the one you bolded is talking about his therapist wearing a thong at the beach means it's probably a joke, I mean idk but it's something to think about

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 12, 2017

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Mirthless posted:

I'm assuming that this is what some people call a joke. Perhaps a jape.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

My [26f] husband of 2 years [30m] is obsessed with Japanese culture/anime and it's really grating on my nerves. Is it wrong to ask him to tone it down?
I shouldn't be surprised - I met him in Japan actually. But it's only now that we're married and have been living together for a while that I'm realizing the extent of his interest and frankly it makes me uncomfortable and I'm starting to get really annoyed.

I feel like he idealizes Japanese culture to a creepy extent. There are a lot of unpleasant aspects of Japanese culture that I'd prefer my husband to at least acknowledge. But it's always "better in Japan" than in North America. I don't understand why, but it seems like a kind of escapism for him? I thought the country was nice enough and the people were friendly, but I sure as hell wouldn't ever want to live there full time. It's not easy being a western woman in Japan.

That alone wouldn't be a huge deal, except I feel like I'm surrounded by it all the time. He is constantly watching anime and pouts when I don't want to watch it with him. The anime he likes is very obviously geared toward children and has a lot of weird pre-pubescent homoerotic undertones going on (think shirtless 13 year old boys complimenting each other on their muscle structure). I just don't get it. I don't enjoy watching it. But he has it running almost all the time.

If he's not watching anime, he's listening to the theme songs (which he can't even understand, but he even listens to it in the shower!), posting in anime-related subreddits, or playing an anime-themed game on his phone when we sit down to watch a movie.

It's gotten to the point that I'm almost instantly annoyed as soon as I hear japanese coming from the TV. I just can't get away from it. I find the whole thing really childish and as much as I love my husband, I'm struggling to turn a blind eye to it all and it's affecting how I see him. It's hard to pull him away from the anime to spend time with me. It's also kind of embarrassing for me when we are out with friends and my husband leads every conversation toward Japan.

Most of the people I know who went through a japan phase grew out of it by their 20s, so that's basically my only frame of reference here. I just don't understand his hobby and as much as I just want him to do what makes him happy, it's effecting my life too. If I have to hear the naruto theme song one more time I'm afraid I might snap.

Would it be wrong of me to say something? I'm not really sure what to do here. Thanks!

TL;DR - Husband watches anime constantly and leads every conversation toward how much better Japan is than our home country, and it's really getting on my nerves. Would it be wrong of me to say something? How do I even approach it?? Thanks!

from the comments-

quote:

I love good, adult-oriented anime. It's not an issue with the genre at all, when it's done well it's great.

The problem is, he's watching WAY more kid-oriented things like Naruto or those sports-oriented ones like Haikyuu. I just don't see the appeal of watching a junior high school volleyball team play volleyball for 500 episodes. There was also a bicycle racing one he was into for a while that honestly really creeped me out - way too many zoom-ins on 12 year old boys' thigh muscles for my taste. The main characters are all children with child-like problems and every episode is the same, but he has to watch all of them in order. I just don't get it. Trust me, I've tried to get into it, I just.. can't.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

the joke is that it was worded that he saw his therapist wearing a thong at the beach. I don't get the joke, but I get that it was a joke.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
P. Sure his boss's wife's cooking is a metaphor for her vagina, and he was rating its taste, smell, sound, etc
All I know is that if I looked over during a session and my therapist was taking detailed notes on my wife's cooking, I could never go back.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

the joke is that it was worded that he saw his therapist wearing a thong at the beach. I don't get the joke, but I get that it was a joke.

It had layers. My favorite layer was the extrapolation of "a guy I know would look embarrassing in a thong" to "hawt lady in thing must have issues." I thoroughly enjoyed the joke

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Drunk Nerds posted:

P. Sure his boss's wife's cooking is a metaphor for her vagina, and he was rating its taste, smell, sound, etc
All I know is that if I looked over during a session and my therapist was taking detailed notes on my wife's cooking, I could never go back.

But why would he need to speak in code in a sooper secret journal?

She should make one of those foodie recepies and see if he pops a boner.

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I live in New York and my apartment is set up this way, it's not common but not unheard of. There are pros and cons, but one nice bit of it is that if one roommate wants to move out and the rest of you want to stay, it's the landlord's job to fill the room, not yours. I guess whether it's desirable depends on how much you'll be home

Having someone pick your roommates without your input seems like a really good way to end up living with crazy people who can't clean up after themselves.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

FuckenPunchOn posted:

Having someone pick your roommates without your input seems like a really good way to end up living with crazy people who can't clean up after themselves.

So college students

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

FuckenPunchOn posted:

This is true, but it also protects against one of your roommates loving vanishing overnight with all their poo poo and contact info and sticking you with the total lease of the apartment, as has happened to me before. With NY rent, it can be the better of two poo poo choices

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FuckenPunchOn posted:

yeah it sucks, and if 'cant clean up after themselves' is the worst you get you're incredibly lucky

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

But why would he need to speak in code in a sooper secret journal?

She should make one of those foodie recepies and see if he pops a boner.

"My husband appears to be particularly fond of a dish called 'Chocolate Starfish.' I will image search this later and attempt a re-creation."

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

This is true, but it also protects against one of your roommates loving vanishing overnight with all their poo poo and contact info and sticking you with the total lease of the apartment, as has happened to me before. With NY rent, it can be the better of two poo poo choices

drat. That is weapons grade lovely.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

having tried a few shared living arrangements getting stuck with total ownership of the lease with some added responsibility but also the authority to evict your roommates for, say, dealing drugs out of the place, or not paying their share, or smelling like poo poo all of the time and also everything they touch starts to smell like poo poo, is the best possible outcome by an incredible margin. I wouldn't even consider an actual term of lease on some fraction of a house, that's nuts

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 12, 2017

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

having tried a few shared living arrangements getting stuck with total ownership of the lease with some added responsibility but also the ability to evict your roommates for, say, dealing drugs out of the place, or not paying their share, or smelling like poo poo all of the time and also everything they touch starts to smell like poo poo, is the best possible outcome by an incredible margin

i mean obviously its better if you can swing it yeah, but for example, i live in a relatively cheap area of NYC and the total bill for the 4 bedroom i live in with roommates would be 3600/mo which is utterly out of my reach to handle by myself for even 1 month

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the idea is you sublet and wind up paying like half of what everyone else is but if you're literally constantly a missed paycheck or two away from homelessness yeah you're basically doomed no matter what

FuckenPunchOn
Nov 9, 2013

i mean obviously its better if you can swing it yeah, but for example, i live in a relatively cheap area of NYC and the total bill for the 4 bedroom i live in with roommates would be 3600/mo which is utterly out of my reach to handle by myself for even 1 month

I've lived in a lot of places where you pay a chunk of cash equal to a month's worth of rent to the person whose room you're moving into as they move out, and then you get that cash back from the next person who moves into your room when you move out. If nothing else, it means that people have more of an incentive to give a couple weeks notice that they're moving out, and that's enough time to find a replacement. If they want to skip town, then you take the new person's money and you cover rent/repairs with it.

It's informal as gently caress as far as bond arrangements go, but it works. Pretty common in Australia. I've got no idea what it's like anywhere else though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FuckenPunchOn posted:

It's informal as gently caress as far as bond arrangements go, but it works. Pretty common in Australia. I've got no idea what it's like anywhere else though.

super common among young people living on their own for the first time until you get turbofucked by a lovely roomie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I assume the two year lease girlfriend didn't have it in her to break up like an adult or got scared after doing the math of $30k in rent. Basically sticker shock. Bottom line is she decided she didn't want to be with him. And that happens a lot. Wanderlust-induced sociopathy