Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah I heard about the repair thing completely disabling modules so now there are a bunch of explorers stuck in deep space unable to even play until it gets patched

Which is pretty :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm just glad they finally fixed the bug where piloting a fighter with fixed weapons permanently disables tracking on your main ship's gimballed weapons until you restart the game. That was super lovely and stuck around for months. The game has felt way buggier ever since 2.2.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The black load screen going from ship to fighter or vice versa while your ai shipmate is in sole command is a bit unnerving if you're under heavy fire, I think I'll stick to letting my man on the payroll do the fighter flying.

Has anyone tried your fighter pilot in the ship with the twin multis? I like the thought of it but they'd never get through shields without help.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DancingShade posted:

Oh yeah I heard about the repair thing completely disabling modules so now there are a bunch of explorers stuck in deep space unable to even play until it gets patched

Well they could play mulitcrew for a little while. And since they're explorers, not the robots who have been poopsocking every min-max profit opportunity since Seeking Luxuries, they might even have fun doing it. :sweatdrop:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The controls for the free camera are extremely unintuitive to set up. Anyone have any good guides for it yet? Better yet, any specific control schemes for an x-52?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The black load screen going from ship to fighter or vice versa while your ai shipmate is in sole command is a bit unnerving if you're under heavy fire, I think I'll stick to letting my man on the payroll do the fighter flying.

Has anyone tried your fighter pilot in the ship with the twin multis? I like the thought of it but they'd never get through shields without help.

The multicannon condor is nice because it can more reliably finish ships off while you're pointed elsewhere. I find this especially helpful for small ships with obnoxious amounts of hull like those kitted out Elite viper mk4s you see sometimes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Trustworthy posted:

Well they could play mulitcrew for a little while. And since they're explorers, not the robots who have been poopsocking every min-max profit opportunity since Seeking Luxuries, they might even have fun doing it. :sweatdrop:
:allears:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pilchenstein posted:

Patchnotes gave the specific number of asteroid bases as 64? Or 32? I remember it was a number. I think.

Not that common is what I'm saying.

In the far distant future where humanity has inhabited billions of planets.... There are 32 asteroid bases.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'll wait on someone more grognardy to crunch the numbers on whether 'double range' or 'double speed' surface scanning is more minmax before doing the needful.

My money is on double speed will be the better quality of life mod. You will still have to fly out to planets and stars to scan them and for me, my biggest annoyance is waiting for a scan to finish so I can move on to the next object or system.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mr. Crow posted:

In the far distant future where humanity has inhabited billions of planets....

Are you in the wrong thread?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

It's not the first time for something like this. A couple patches ago the exploration-data base got hosed so bad, most new scans turned scanned objects into dark, empty voids. Of course even if not, the data base suddenly couldn't remember the scans, so we explorers had to basically go away for two weeks until this poo poo was fixed.

And before that, I remember FSD-jumps getting so broken at one point that people (me included) got teleported thousands of light years back to their last station when the bug got triggered. At least in this case, we only got moved against our will, the data base worked fine: I cashed in my scans as a consolation prize after I got hit.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

The controls for the free camera are extremely unintuitive to set up. Anyone have any good guides for it yet? Better yet, any specific control schemes for an x-52?

Instead of binding to my X52, I just did mouse for rotation, WASD for movement, Q/E for roll, and Z/C for lateral up/down. Basically it's FPS controls.

I suppose you could also set it up the same as your normal controls like you're flying the camera with the HOTAS, but I always found that awkward.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So update time for my x52 pro and the mouse drift
I tried everything I could think of, many drivers were installed and uninstalled, much swearing was done but still the mouse drift was there. In windows this means my mouse cursor would gently caress off to the corner of the screen and stay there if the joystick was plugged in.
I couldn't do anything in task manager because as soon as I unplug the joystick it vanishes from there as you'd expect and I can't use task manager with it plugged in because the mouse cursor is off near my trash can stealing window focus automatically even if I use tab and try to use keyboard shortcuts. Nothing helped at all and i was getting frustrated.

So I did the only logical thing I could think of and did this:

I took the stick apart and ripped out the entire mouse thing. This took a while but I was determined and after a while I had it all back together again, plugged it all in and... The cursor hosed off to the bottom corner of my screen :negative:

So at this point, this is basically me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19W45gXBrMM

It's such a stupid thing that nothing seems to fix but I am going to keep trying, I have nothing to lose now apart from a HOTAS with a hole in it - when in game all is OK but this is a principle now goddamit

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
That piece (the mouse and button) just never worked at all on my throttle. I'm not sure if it's an issue of drivers not playing with win7 or what, but it just straight up does nothing.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
You'd think having a month-long public beta would have caught some of these pretty obvious bugs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mike the TV posted:

That piece (the mouse and button) just never worked at all on my throttle. I'm not sure if it's an issue of drivers not playing with win7 or what, but it just straight up does nothing.

At this point I am thinking it's an April fools gag that got way out of hand or something

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

INTJ Mastermind posted:

You'd think having a month-long public beta would have caught some of these pretty obvious bugs.

It's a well known secret that Frontier uses several teams working on several different builds of the game at the same time. This obviously does not work well when piecing it all back together for an update.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I used the profilling software to just disable the mouse nub totally when mine started drifting off to the side.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Angrymog posted:

I used the profilling software to just disable the mouse nub totally when mine started drifting off to the side.

Didn't work, I think it's an issue with the hardware but nothing worked. I've tried loads of versions too, some people say the pre Mad Katz days one is better but that did nothing either.
It might be haunted

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Have you tried disabling the mouse in the device manager? Should be HID something or other.

You can also navigate Windows entirely with keyboard, though it's not super trivial (lots of tabbing...).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr. Crow posted:

Have you tried disabling the mouse in the device manager? Should be HID something or other.

You can also navigate Windows entirely with keyboard, though it's not super trivial (lots of tabbing...).

Yeah I have done that, took a lot of fidgeting around but I managed it, it didn't work. Shits just hosed

The issue with using a keyboard is the cursor keeps stealing focus so it flits between the screen you want and the desktop multiple times a second ha ha

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It was a gated beta, FD won't be able to stress test their release candidate that way.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Does anyone remember that bug where when arriving at a station your wingmate was docked at, the interior of the station would glitch out for a bit and then rotational correction would gently caress up and you'd be drifting all over and unable to land? They said that would be fixed in 2.3 and all they've done is stop the interior from glitching visually - the drifting and being unable to land still happens. :frontear:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

timn posted:

Instead of binding to my X52, I just did mouse for rotation, WASD for movement, Q/E for roll, and Z/C for lateral up/down. Basically it's FPS controls.

I suppose you could also set it up the same as your normal controls like you're flying the camera with the HOTAS, but I always found that awkward.

Thanks for this, I was having a hell of a time with the hotas bindings last night, will try out your way

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I wish the the Farragut Battlecruiser above Palin's base would go away. It always puts the shits up me when I'm approaching, especially when I get dropped out of SC like 50km away. Thanks computer!

I think it once opened up on me when I visited for the first time and mistakenly left the base by pointing 90° and boosting. It might have been the fighters surrounding it and not the Farragut but I didn't stick around to find out :eek:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Incidentally, the scanner mods are either for a 100% range boost (I haven't been able to get confirmation if this also reduces scan speed compared to the original range), a scan angle increase or up to an 80% reduction in scan time at the same range as before. These apply to both the Detailed Surface Scanner and the various utility slot scanners like the KWS, wake scanner, etc.

Scan speed is likely going to be preferred for in bubble activities but I'd think long range would still be preferred for explorers.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Incidentally, the scanner mods are either for a 100% range boost (I haven't been able to get confirmation if this also reduces scan speed compared to the original range), a scan angle increase or up to an 80% reduction in scan time at the same range as before. These apply to both the Detailed Surface Scanner and the various utility slot scanners like the KWS, wake scanner, etc.

Scan speed is likely going to be preferred for in bubble activities but I'd think long range would still be preferred for explorers.

If you Must Scan Everything then I think +scan range is better. If you're only going for rocky planets then the extra 40-60 LS scanner range might be less effective than the +scan time mod.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lima posted:

If you Must Scan Everything then I think +scan range is better. If you're only going for rocky planets then the extra 40-60 LS scanner range might be less effective than the +scan time mod.

The angle-scan might be better for long-range explorers: It makes it easier to scan suns and close-by planets while travelling, and if you end up near gas giants, the better angle will make scanning all those tiny moons less of a pain in the rear end.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Whoa suddenly I wish I could install two scanners and situationally choose between them.

Wouldn't work for smaller builds, but maybe for an Exploraconda...?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Back from my Witch Head nebula shakedown run, what's with the whole of the Horsehead Nebula being locked down? Is it part of the 'story'? *tsk*, I wanted to go sightseeing.

Mirror signal maneuver

Someone tried flying too close to the sun while not being in a heatproof DBX

These ice chasms were awesome, I wished I had a ship that went above a slow plod to enjoy them

Red sky at night, spacemans delight

and a surprise black hole to top it off, jobs a good 'un :)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I hosed up my binds and I can't figure out how to restore it. Used to be I could engage FSD with Dpad Down+B (xbone pad), and the same combo would drop me out of supercruise when approaching stations and the like. I'm unsure if its a limitation of not allowing multiple binds to the same button or just not being able to find the function in the settings.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Crimson Harvest posted:

I hosed up my binds and I can't figure out how to restore it. Used to be I could engage FSD with Dpad Down+B (xbone pad), and the same combo would drop me out of supercruise when approaching stations and the like. I'm unsure if its a limitation of not allowing multiple binds to the same button or just not being able to find the function in the settings.
Those are the same command. You just press the fsd button again to drop out.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If I join some guy's crew can we mutiny and steel his ship?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If I join some guy's crew can we mutiny and steel his ship?

No, but apparently you can get bounties on them by shooting up stations and friendlies.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
So did we ever get the goddamned chrome paintjob for the Eagle from that one community goal?

I know we got facetech, multicrew, and nameplates. But if we don't have that loving paintjob, there's just no point.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Phuzun posted:

No, but apparently you can get bounties on them by shooting up stations and friendlies.

You can get bounties for him by shooting wanted people too.

Because apparently the wanted/bounty status isn't properly syncing between clients!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phuzun posted:

No you can't.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So now the Diamondbacks are lighter and can get a bigger jump range is there any reason* to use an Asp?

*sounding like a Fokker in space is not a good reason

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Witchhead is locked down for "story reasons".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

adamantium|wang posted:

So now the Diamondbacks are lighter and can get a bigger jump range is there any reason* to use an Asp?

*sounding like a Fokker in space is not a good reason
The Diamondback can only fit a dinky little fuel scoop and takes forever to fill up to full. That's about the only real advantage the Asp has these days, though.

• Locked thread