Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Futaba is a tiny goblin, though I understand some people are into that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some love short shorts and glasses

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Does Sojiro keep a comb on his person at all times purely for the purposes of beard grooming

He seems like he would

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

No Mods No Masters posted:

Futaba is a tiny goblin, though I understand some people are into that

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Post Palace 4 / pre 5 spoilers: How much longer do I have to deal with this stupid Morgana temper tamptrum subplot? I'm about to go in a Memento to wait for them. This plot point is dumb. It's like what they did with Teddy but forgot what made his arc good. Also think they took the lovely teenager writing a bit too far with Ryuji. Yosuke in 4 was lovely but was kind of endearing and useful, Ryuji is neither and just a loudmouth. You think working on the game for 20 years they'd take harder look at their decade old writing and decide that it wasn't that charming or, you know, good.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 12, 2017

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It's almost over. That plot and the palace 5 plot is the weakest point of the game imo.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Post Palace 4 / pre 5 spoilers: How much longer do I have to deal with this stupid Morgana temper tamptrum subplot? I'm about to go in a Memento to wait for them. This plot point is dumb. It's like what they did with Teddy but forgot what made his arc good. Also think they took the lovely teenager writing a bit too far with Ryuji. Yosuke in 4 was lovely but was kind of endearing and useful, Ryuji is neither and just a loudmouth. You think working on the game for 20 years they'd take harder work of their decade old writing and decide that it wasn't that charming or, you know, good.

Yes, well:

I agree, the whole thing seemed really forced. Ryuji suddenly became louder and dumber than his usual self; which while an astonishing feat, doesn't make for good plot. The first encounter with "The Beauty Thief" was amusing; but that's about it. The dungeon itself was also a slog; filled with enemies with high resistances that debuff you or my personal favorite; HUNGER ALL > Cure Hunger > REAPPLY HUNGER ALL until you decide gently caress it and run away.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Post Palace 4 / pre 5 spoilers: How much longer do I have to deal with this stupid Morgana temper tamptrum subplot? I'm about to go in a Memento to wait for them. This plot point is dumb. It's like what they did with Teddy but forgot what made his arc good. Also think they took the lovely teenager writing a bit too far with Ryuji. Yosuke in 4 was lovely but was kind of endearing and useful, Ryuji is neither and just a loudmouth. You think working on the game for 20 years they'd take harder work of their decade old writing and decide that it wasn't that charming or, you know, good.

You're on the day that sub-plot just abruptly ends and is then forgotten by everyone for the rest of the game. It's legitimately my least favourite part of the game.

Also Ryuji and Morgana are better than Yosuke and Teddy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also Ryuji and Morgana are better than Yosuke and Teddy.

Morgana doesn't have cat puns therefor you are incorrect.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's a fun change of pace that what you expect to be the stereotypical reserved shy girl is actually the MURDER QUEEN OF THE APOCALYPSE. Her all-out cut-in is just 500% "Done with everyone's bullshit" and it's amazing.

The arc of all the good girl student rep types always ends with them growing a backbone right at the end of the story, so its nice to see Makotos come at the beginning.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh wow, post-dungeon 4 and the long-term plot sure is going places that are really hitting too close to home, oh god the final boss is gonna be Bald Japanese Trump

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

japan had shinzo abe long before america had trump

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

japan had shinzo abe long before america had trump
Yeah but that specific brand of "gently caress the corrupt government, let's start anew, only I can be depended on" really hit home for me

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Morgana only gets points for being a cat, everything else about him is inferior to Teddie. Then again I may just be biased against Morgana because he keeps forcing me to go to bed even in July.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Night Blade posted:

Really wish I didn't mouse over that!
Ah, super sorry! Really should've given context rather than just a black bar

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morgana's voice acting is somewhat pleasant to listen to unlike Teddie's screeching.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Morgana doesn't have cat puns therefor you are incorrect.

He really could use more cat puns you're right.

I guess I just like that the cute mascot character fancies himself the veteran expert of the crew, and sets himself up as the mentor. I enjoy that more than Teddy basically just being an innocent kid. Also he gets points for just being a cat car rather than a boy in a costume.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 13, 2017

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Morgana's not a cat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HMS Beagle posted:

Morgana's not a cat.

Oops you're right let me change that.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Endgame spoilers: Scroll over at your own risk.

Can I say that I think it was pretty masterful of the developers to play with Igor's voice being different as foreshadowing and not just because they needed a new voice actor. I certainly didn't expect that coming and while True!Igor didn't have the exact same voice as he did in previous games, I was beaming like an idiot when I heard his mad scientist voice come back. I'm sad he doesn't speak after the reveal, though. That was lame.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 13, 2017

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Ah, super sorry! Really should've given context rather than just a black bar

I was at a point where it would have been pretty obvious if I had been more into Persona lore, also I had already seen the foreshadowing so it wasnt THAT surprising. No worries.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
it's silly to get in pissing matches about people projecting american social problems onto persona, because a lot of the stuff persona 5 deals with - exploitative collusion between politicians/corporations/police, the social stigma of being accused, internet fame and cybercrime, young people scrambling to breath in a society that seems methodically ordered against them, hikikomori - is very relevant to contemporary americans

japan and the US have some important cultural differences, but being wealthy, technophilic, late capitalist, law-and-order obsessed democracies means they also have a lot in common

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

jimmydalad posted:

Can I say that I think it was pretty masterful of the developers to play with Igor's voice being different as foreshadowing and not just because they needed a new voice actor. I certainly didn't expect that coming and while True!Igor didn't have the exact same voice as he did in previous games, I was beaming like an idiot when I heard his mad scientist voice come back. I'm sad he doesn't speak after the reveal, though. That was lame.

You should mention that's Endgame spoilers because that is by far one of the coolest things that happen in the game and would hate people to be spoiled

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

it's silly to get in pissing matches about people projecting american social problems onto persona, because a lot of the stuff persona 5 deals with - exploitative collusion between politicians/corporations/police, the social stigma of being accused, internet fame and cybercrime, young people scrambling to breath in a society that seems methodically ordered against them, hikikomori - is very relevant to contemporary americans

japan and the US have some important cultural differences, but being wealthy, technophilic, late capitalist, law-and-order obsessed democracies means they also have a lot in common
who's getting into pissing matches

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Again, just started (and i was already spoiled on everything months in advance because I genuinely don't give a poo poo about spoiler culture except to not bother other people) but wow, actually seeing it play out really hammers home that the starter villain is a real piece of work.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

who's getting into pissing matches

idk im just snappy bc I felt like it happened earlier in the thread and annoyed me

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He really could use more cat puns you're right.

I guess I just like that the cute mascot character fancies himself the veteran expert of the crew, and sets himself up as the mentor. I enjoy that more than Teddy basically just being an innocent kid. Also he gets points for just being a cat car rather than a boy in a costume.

Teddy is just Alice in a boy outfit.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So it's agreed.
Everyone hates palace 5.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

theblackw0lf posted:

You should mention that's Endgame spoilers because that is by far one of the coolest things that happen in the game and would hate people to be spoiled

Thanks for the heads up. Edited a warning in, but yeah, I totally didn't see it coming and that entire scene was magical~.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm worried...

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

The Gorp posted:

So it's agreed.
Everyone hates palace 5.
That loving airlock puzzle took me so long I loaded the game from the safe room and just looked up a walkthrough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked palace 5 when i realized it was casting the protag as han solo. design-wise it's still lame tho

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

HellOnEarth posted:

That loving airlock puzzle took me so long I loaded the game from the safe room and just looked up a walkthrough.

I dislike everything about that temple.

-The music
-The length
-The lovely Morgana arc that has no point
-The boss
-The visuals that gave me a headache and made me stop playing for a day
-Those enemies that all look the same but have different weaknesses for whatever reason.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Do I need the random items like "broken shield" and "tree bark" for anything or can I just sell them all? I remember you sometimes needed random poo poo for quests in P4?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
If its labeled treasure in the shop is has no use and should be wholesaled.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Futaba is my MVP of the Palace 7 boss fight.

By the time form 3 rolled and was low on health I had exhausted a lot of supplies and was considering using a Soma as he got in this wrestling pose. Futaba chimes in and gives everyone a charge right on time and that dude became a streak on the deck. I have no idea what he was going to do but I'm glad I stopped whatever that was.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Futaba rank 10 is an mvp in general. Shes how to do a "support" character right.
Final Guard makes the last boss a joke because he wastes 3 turns charging something that you don't have to care about.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fortune Level 6 spoiler: I'm 99% sure they named one of the stores "Cult9" just so the word could hang right next to Chairman Fukurai's head during this scene.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Gorp posted:

Futaba rank 10 is an mvp in general. Shes how to do a "support" character right.
Final Guard makes the last boss a joke because he wastes 3 turns charging something that you don't have to care about.

They had already mostly figured it out in P4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Gorp posted:

Haven't gotten there yet (obviously) but that sounds silly considering (Palace 7 boss) Shido breaks the loving rules and just goes "gently caress it I want a million turns" just so he can setup and nuke you and not give you a chance to respond. That's really dirty video game!!