Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ShoogaSlim posted:

Anyone else use Android Auto? I tried like 10 times to send a text to someone using voice and here's how it panned out:

Me: "Send a text to Rebecca"

Auto: "Ok, what's the message?"

Me: "blablabla"

Auto: "Ok, here's your text to Rebecca 'what's the message blablabla' do you want to send it or change it?"

Me: "Change it"

And it just went on like this until I gave up. For the record, I'm chatting with a Google cyborg support thing now to ask again for an exchange.

🙄

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

Once you get the stable update, opt out of the beta for now.
Why?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Yoooo it's so stupid that I'm experiencing legitimate software hiccups with my brand new phone and reporting them in a thread on a discussion forum explicitly dedicated to talking about this very thing, right? Bro you got me hard with that roll eyes bro.

Moron.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I tried Android Auto and in my experience it was a poo poo show. Very limited and horrible UI. It was always trying to do the wrong thing I wanted. Slightly less of a poo poo show than the Android TV box I had though (holy crap that thing was _terrible_). Android on anything other than a phone is a big gamble.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

If you don't, you will be stuck in an update loop (offered the 7.1.2 beta download again and then the stable download and so on so forth).

nimper fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 12, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nimper posted:

The 25mb patch takes you to stable 7.1.2 (N2G47H) and the 1.3gb update puts you back on beta (NPG47I).

Once you get the stable update, opt out of the beta for now.

Make sure you are on N2G47H before you opt out, otherwise it will wipe your device.

Thanks for that, it'd have probably taken me all day to figure that one out.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I tried Android Auto and in my experience it was a poo poo show. Very limited and horrible UI. It was always trying to do the wrong thing I wanted. Slightly less of a poo poo show than the Android TV box I had though (holy crap that thing was _terrible_). Android on anything other than a phone is a big gamble.

Honestly, it's miles ahead of CarPlay on iOS. Though that may be obvious considering Apple's walled garden. Spotify is more limited, you can only use Apple Maps, way less third party support, etc. It was so limited I had to prop my phone up on my dash to just use that instead of the CarPlay interface. With Android Auto my phone never goes on because I can do basically whatever I need to do (while driving) within the interface.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Android Auto works pretty well for me. I typically use Hangouts rather than sms, but it always picks up the message through voice commands just fine. This is with a Pixel and a recent Sync3 Ford with the Android Auto update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Android Auto works perfect for me. Everything it's supposed to do works as its supposed to, and everything its supposed to do is basically what I'd want it to do.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The one thing it does that annoys me is take over the screen on my phone so I can't check the forums at stop lights like a retard. Like you said, it does what it is intended to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FAUXTON posted:

You should file an FCC complaint if they let people report sources of prohibited interference. I know they got on the case of that rear end in a top hat with the cellphone jammer in his car but people were dropping calls along the same stretch of highway with statistically significant regularity and the carriers ended up reporting it but I'm not sure if the FCC is dumb enough to just take reports from any old rear end in a top hat on the internet.

I'm not dropping calls, I'm dropping Bluetooth connection. 2.4ghz is unlicensed (and very cluttered.) FCC isn't going to do jack.

Different devices behave differently, likely due to their tolerance of the drop. My Jaybirds and WRX just hiccup. There's a brief stutter. My BRZ drops completely and then reconnects about 10 seconds later.

Some have noticed a correlation to the number of devices that are paired. I have 6 typically (two cars, Moto 360, headphones, home phone system, and Fitbit.). I might unpair everything and start from scratch, adding one at a time.

There appears to be some interrupt event that's happening that can overcome the buffers in the connection and cause a blip or drop. Clearly they tried to tweak something this round with the modem and I do think my headphones improved a little. I'll have to see what effect it had on the car connection later.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
How do I set play music to autoplay stuff on an SD card? I got it to acknlode it exists but when using ok Google it opens to the music but won't autoplay​.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone else start randomly getting Google surveys again? Haven't seen any for two years then they just started again this week.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you lied to them a few times, they might have just finally decided to give you another chance again.

Or you finally went somewhere they are interesting to them again.

I was pretty sparse for 6 months for a while, went on a trip to Hawaii, and got like 20 in the span of 3 days after walking around downtown Oahu.

Spam Jam event is awesome BTW.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Bandire posted:

The one thing it does that annoys me is take over the screen on my phone so I can't check the forums at stop lights like a retard. Like you said, it does what it is intended to do.

With the Android Auto screen on the display, I just swipe up from the bottom to get the back, home, multitask buttons. Then I tap the multitask square and then the home button and my phone becomes fully usable. Idk if that's a glitch or what but it's a nice workaround if you wanna force the phone to do other poo poo outside of the limited Android Auto experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, car only dropped once on the way home which is an improvement for the most part, let's see if it holds for a few days and then I may try repopulating my bluetooth pairings.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

If you don't, you will be stuck in an update loop (offered the 7.1.2 beta download again and then the stable download and so on so forth).
Ah, so that explains what's going on with my Pixel C, same thing.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
I've got an issue with my Nexus 6P -- It's the common problem where the phone decides that literally any battery level is close enough to dead and powers off. Google support walked me through the troubleshooting steps and decides that it's a hardware issue. However, since I bought it from a third party (Amazon, along with a Huwatch on Prime day last summer), Google support is washing their hands of the issue and directs me to Huawei. Huwawei agrees, hardware issue. Great, fine.

The problem is, Huawei support tells me that they don't do advance replacement, I've got to send my phone in, they'll take a look at it, 7-10 days later I should have a repaired phone. /r/Nexus6P is saying that Huawei is holding onto their warranty repairs for a month. I really would prefer not to be offline for a month. I called Huawei support back, and the agent admits that he can't even give me an estimated repair time, but they're backed way up on repairs.

Huawei says they'll escalate and someone will call me right back (yeah right). Google says I bought it from Amazon instead of them, so gently caress you. I even checked with Amazon, but it's been 9 months, they can't help.

Anyone see a good next move?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

echo465 posted:

I've got an issue with my Nexus 6P -- It's the common problem where the phone decides that literally any battery level is close enough to dead and powers off. Google support walked me through the troubleshooting steps and decides that it's a hardware issue. However, since I bought it from a third party (Amazon, along with a Huwatch on Prime day last summer), Google support is washing their hands of the issue and directs me to Huawei. Huwawei agrees, hardware issue. Great, fine.

The problem is, Huawei support tells me that they don't do advance replacement, I've got to send my phone in, they'll take a look at it, 7-10 days later I should have a repaired phone. /r/Nexus6P is saying that Huawei is holding onto their warranty repairs for a month. I really would prefer not to be offline for a month. I called Huawei support back, and the agent admits that he can't even give me an estimated repair time, but they're backed way up on repairs.

Huawei says they'll escalate and someone will call me right back (yeah right). Google says I bought it from Amazon instead of them, so gently caress you. I even checked with Amazon, but it's been 9 months, they can't help.

You're probably hosed. Spend $100 on one of those Blu phones or whatever to get a phone to hold you over I guess.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

echo465 posted:

Did you buy it with a credit card that has any sort of electronics protection? Quite a few do and 9 months would be within the window.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Thermopyle posted:

You're probably hosed. Spend $100 on one of those Blu phones or whatever to get a phone to hold you over I guess.

That's kind of what I think, too.

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you buy it with a credit card that has any sort of electronics protection? Quite a few do and 9 months would be within the window.

Amazon.com store card by Synchrony Bank. Doesn't look like it, but I'm checking their website.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Or $70 to have UbreakIfix or whoever (or less for yourself) replace the battery.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Go buy whatever the cheapest Moto phone that works on your carrier as a spare. You use a phone more than any other device in your life, being without it is not an option* for most people so have a spare.

My train ticket and multiple work access tokens are on my pixel. If mine was gone for a day it's be a disaster, so I keep a Galaxy Nexus around just in case.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I'm not dropping calls, I'm dropping Bluetooth connection. 2.4ghz is unlicensed (and very cluttered.) FCC isn't going to do jack.

Different devices behave differently, likely due to their tolerance of the drop. My Jaybirds and WRX just hiccup. There's a brief stutter. My BRZ drops completely and then reconnects about 10 seconds later.

Some have noticed a correlation to the number of devices that are paired. I have 6 typically (two cars, Moto 360, headphones, home phone system, and Fitbit.). I might unpair everything and start from scratch, adding one at a time.

There appears to be some interrupt event that's happening that can overcome the buffers in the connection and cause a blip or drop. Clearly they tried to tweak something this round with the modem and I do think my headphones improved a little. I'll have to see what effect it had on the car connection later.

Yeah, I was just assuming the dropped connection at the same place every day would have been a valid report of interference even though you were talking about BT. But if it's not covered then welp. Maybe it's some chucklefuck blaring dirty-rear end wifi from an aerial because he wants to have wifi while jogging or something.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I really wish Google would attempt to establish a retail presence. You just cannot beat Apple's setup in terms of ease of repair or replacement.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RZA Encryption posted:

I really wish Google would attempt to establish a retail presence. You just cannot beat Apple's setup in terms of ease of repair or replacement.
While Apple do have a superior setup, Google will cross ship replacement devices over night in most cases. The lesson here is simple: always buy Google devices direct from Google. I got burned by this on the original N7. Never again.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

RZA Encryption posted:

Tell me about it. I've heard the stories of walking in with a broken iPhone and walking out an hour later with a new one and all data and apps already transferred.

This whole runaround has really put me off. The 6P was sold as a flagship device. It was a steal at $400 when I bought it, for gently caress's sake. You would think that Google would stand behind their product. I'm really disappointed at the whole situation. I've used Android phones since I switched from a Palm Pro to an HTC Hero back in ancient times, but now...

A month ago, I would have said that the Nexus 6P was the best phone I'd owned.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RZA Encryption posted:

Ehh I guess it depends on where in the world you are.

Here in NZ Apple doesn't even meet the minimum standards set out in consumer law unless you fight them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Ehh I guess it depends on where in the world you are.

Here in NZ Apple doesn't even meet the minimum standards set out in consumer law unless you fight them.

It also depends where you are in the US. If you're in a city, that's good. I mean, it better be the good part of town or else it's an hour or two drive. Are you not near a city? They have a policy for that, it's called "LOL gently caress you".

echo465 posted:

Tell me about it. I've heard the stories of walking in with a broken iPhone and walking out an hour later with a new one and all data and apps already transferred.

This part should be trivial but in fact is actually impossible. Why? Google has a similar policy to Apple's rural retail presence when it comes to data backup and restore.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

This part should be trivial but in fact is actually impossible. Why? Google has a similar policy to Apple's rural retail presence when it comes to data backup and restore.

I know this is app dependent, but going nexus 4->6->6p->pixel it has transferred apps and data just fine and been entirely automatic for me.

So complain to the devs of the apps who don't support it.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

LastInLine posted:

Well, as I said, 'stories'. I've never actually owned an iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

It also depends where you are in the US. If you're in a city, that's good. I mean, it better be the good part of town or else it's an hour or two drive. Are you not near a city? They have a policy for that, it's called "LOL gently caress you".
Yeah, but if you're not near a city you've made poor life choices, anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

Get hosed

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Have we talked about this incredible screw-up yet?

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/samsung-bixby-voice-assistant-wont-ship-with-galaxy-s8/

quote:

Don't expect to start talking to Samsung's Bixby voice assistant when you boot up your new Galaxy S8 later this month.

The key feature was expected to debut on the new flagship handset, but the electronics giant is now saying Bixby won't be operational on the US version of the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus when they ship to consumers starting April 21.

I think the Samsung hate / Google love in this forum is a tad extreme, but this is hilarious. Bothering to push Bixby as a thing when it was announced Google Assistant would be released on non-Pixel devices just made no sense. There's just no way that Samsung can compete with Google and Michael Collins, and it was clearly an enormous mistake to publicly try.

And now, Bixby won't debut with voice support. It's dead on arrival.

Time for Samsung to push the "dedicated Bixby button" as a custom remappable button (would be neat for phone manufacturers to do this more often, people resent the removal of physical home buttons, but there's no reason it can't just become a button on the edge).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Arcanen posted:

I think the Samsung hate / Google love in this forum is a tad extreme,

If you'll pay attention there's only a few vocal people extreme about it.

Arcanen posted:

Time for Samsung to push the "dedicated Bixby button" as a custom remappable button (would be neat for phone manufacturers to do this more often, people resent the removal of physical home buttons, but there's no reason it can't just become a button on the edge).

I'm not sure I agree with the implication that resenting the removal of physical buttons is widespread. However...I find myself wishing for a physical button to start Android Auto. I don't like it always starting so I don't enable the "start on BT connect" thing. It would be safer to just have a button to start it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Has anyone tried Otterbox alpha glass screen protectors? I have like $100 in Otterbox credit and am thinking about getting that plus a symmetry case. Speaking of, anyone with experience with the symmetry cases?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

What forum am I in?

Eejit posted:

Has anyone tried Otterbox alpha glass screen protectors? I have like $100 in Otterbox credit and am thinking about getting that plus a symmetry case. Speaking of, anyone with experience with the symmetry cases?

Dunno about the glass, but it's hard to gently caress up a tempered glass protector in my experience, unless it's on a curved glass screen. The symmetry case is pretty awesome, worked very well on my note 7. The only quirk was that the lip on it was pushing off my film screen protector, both the use of a film protector and aggressive lip necessitated by the curved screen. On pretty much any traditional phone, it'll be great. I'd be using one now if they had one for the pixel XL.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the poorest among us have a wealth of choice and opportunity. That's the America I know.

..btt posted:

I know this is app dependent, but going nexus 4->6->6p->pixel it has transferred apps and data just fine and been entirely automatic for me.

So complain to the devs of the apps who don't support it.

There is absolutely no reason there can't be a procedure to move from at least the same device to a replacement of it other than Google doesn't want to make it easy. I'll admit, Google's come a long way with their dumb method of backup and restore but when I went from n5 > Pixel XL, I had to shed apps (mostly games) that didn't support it and that's just unacceptable. Either Google should force developers to make sure the process works for every app or they should provide a tool that does it, like every OEM cobbled together for themselves because if you want to keep people buying your poo poo, maybe don't make it so that buying a new device is a game of data roulette.

This isn't an unsolved problem.

The thing is that solving would at least meet you halfway and to be fair, Google has bridged the other half by moving the Pixel to being Google-branded instead of OEM partner-branded. That said, you can't buy the Pixel from anyone but Google and their carrier partner so going forward they kind of do have the kind of retail presence Apple does--via carrier stores. If the Pixel is actually carried by other carriers next time, you'll at least be able to get a new device by walking into a local store, even in the boonies.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I think in some respects the Android approach is actually easier since you don't need a computer, and don't you need iTunes to do the backup->restore iPhone thing?

I know what you're saying though and I'm not saying they couldn't enforce all apps (and device vendors) using the transfer system they provide, but I think this is probably one of the trade-offs for having a more open approach to their app store and devices. I'd say if you want an iPhone experience, get an iPhone. I understand the attraction of such a curated set-up. I doubt Android will ever do that though - Google isn't in the same position as Apple here. They could just do it for Pixel I suppose, but I wonder if it would even be worth the effort. Are Pixel devices a significant portion of the market? It seems most people think Android means Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

..btt posted:

I think in some respects the Android approach is actually easier since you don't need a computer, and don't you need iTunes to do the backup->restore iPhone thing?

You don't need iTunes. It hasn't needed iTunes in something like 5 years.