Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Starboy: Ragnarok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

It's funny too because the demo had no RTS bullshit in it. I wanna say none of the previews did either -- what a huge dupe. It was a pretty enjoyable open world 3rd person game but it just goes to total dog poo poo and I never finished it.

Guess what: the Tim Curry demons never get a proper set of missions like the glam rock humans and black metal zombies did because they ran out of time and money part way through development.

Did you know that it was originally intended to have 5 factions instead of 3? It's true.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am so loving pumped for Ragnarok.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I found a hundred dollar bill on the floor and used it to buy Brutal Legend on launch day.

2008 might be the shittiest year I've ever had. What a miserable time for me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Inzombiac posted:

I don't what started this new trend of giving indie directors a bunch of money and gigantic films but I think I like it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

apatheticman posted:

I don't what started this new trend of giving indie directors a bunch of money and gigantic films but I think I like it.

He's made so many funny movies and Thor shouldn't be a serious movie most of the time.

Goddamn. I love the whole cast.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Guess what: the Tim Curry demons never get a proper set of missions like the glam rock humans and black metal zombies did because they ran out of time and money part way through development.

Did you know that it was originally intended to have 5 factions instead of 3? It's true.

To be fair, pretty much every game ends up stripped of a lot of its content for time and budget reasons.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
From what I've heard, the Marvel films are 50% directed by a combination of the action and 2nd unit directors, and 50% by the "name" director, who is really only directing the dialog and story scenes. The action/2nd unit directors are directing all the big ticket action and VFX-heavy sequences. That's why you get the guys who directed Arrested Development and Community directing $200 millon dollar comic book movies. Marvel hires strong story & character directors for the talkie bits and then relies on experienced action directors for the other stuff. Seems to be working pretty well for them so far.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dillbag posted:

From what I've heard, the Marvel films are 50% directed by a combination of the action and 2nd unit directors, and 50% by the "name" director, who is really only directing the dialog and story scenes. The action/2nd unit directors are directing all the big ticket action and VFX-heavy sequences. That's why you get the guys who directed Arrested Development and Community directing $200 millon dollar comic book movies. Marvel hires strong story & character directors for the talkie bits and then relies on experienced action directors for the other stuff. Seems to be working pretty well for them so far.

Didn't work out so well for Edgar Wright :mad:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dillbag posted:

The alternative to this is Quantum of Solace and World War Z.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Cacator posted:

Probably because he's directed better action than pretty much any marvel movie to date and marvel seems deeply committed to mediocre action

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cacator posted:

He hated having to make a movie that had to integrate with the MCU even more than Whedon did. Whedon loving hated it, and still made two movies for them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And yet Whedon is making a movie for DC's own universe.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, the difference being that the Batgirl movie isn't something that DC has been planning and building up to via five films within the span of four years or whatever.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cacator posted:

Baby Driver looks great so im not too hurt.

An Edgar Wright Ant Man with Paul Rudd would have been the greatest though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Well, the difference being that the Batgirl movie isn't something that DC has been planning and building up to via five films within the span of four years or whatever.

Whedon is making a Batgirl movie? Ugh. Dude used to be able to hide his weird fetishism, but starting with Doll House the mask began to slip and it's just getting more and more obvious he's a creepy weirdo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nihonniboku posted:

He hated having to make a movie that had to integrate with the MCU even more than Whedon did. Whedon loving hated it, and still made two movies for them.

And yet avengers are the worst of the marvel movies. I don't think marvel was the problem.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inzombiac posted:

The trailer is great, too.

Thor is such a goofy yobbo. "I know this guy from work!" :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wasn't interested until I saw that it has both Goldblum and Blanchett chewing scenery. I'm in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cacator posted:

He chose to walk away from it. The Avengers crossover stuff the studio mandated was literally just two scenes (the opening flashback and the fight with birdman at the Avengers HQ), he could have just swallowed his pride and worked with them after they were willing to wait half a decade for him to finish Scott Pilgrim and World's Ens

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

They announced that Whedon's Batgirl would be a standalone and wouldn't connect with the rest of the DCCU.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nihonniboku posted:

They announced that Whedon's Batgirl would be a standalone and wouldn't connect with the rest of the DCCU.

Wow, WB sure gave up on that quickly then.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Wow, WB sure gave up on that quickly then.

I dunno, doing five big budget productions over half a decade despite none of them being received too well is actually a ludicrous level of dedication imo.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bugblatter posted:

I dunno, doing five big budget productions over half a decade despite none of them being received too well is actually a ludicrous level of dedication imo.

Oh god they're the Uwe Boll of film studios.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dillbag posted:

Oh god they're the Uwe Boll of film studios.

Nah, do to German tax laws Uwe Boll films were profitable for their investors.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't remember this being said anywhere. Everyone is still talking about how it will connect to Justice League and the next Batman.

Edit:
It might be a "standalone" the same way Doctor Strange was to the MCU.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 12, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The MSJ posted:

I don't remember this being said anywhere. Everyone is still talking about how it will connect to Justice League and the next Batman.

Edit:
It might be a "standalone" the same way Doctor Strange was to the MCU.

LIke every single announcement for the film stresses that it is a standalone, which I'm sure was Whedon's biggest stipulation to do it. A standalone suggests that it won't be affected by the overall plot of the DCCU, and it won't affect the overall plot.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 12, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, this poster got me hyped and then I looked at the IMDB filming locations

quote:

Showing all 6 filming locations

Brockton, Massachusetts, USA

Dorchester, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Lynn, Massachusetts, USA

Lawrence, Massachusetts, USA

Detroit, Michigan, USA (Detroit Police Station 10th Precinct)

Honestly surprised they didn't shoot this in Canada.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
To be fair, they did shoot in some of the most Detroit places in Massachusetts.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ruddiger posted:

drat, this poster got me hyped and then I looked at the IMDB filming locations

Honestly surprised they didn't shoot this in Canada.

Right? Detroit has gorgeous, unique architecture. For a movie called Detroit, they really could have done something to showcase the city. Now it's going to look like Anywhere City, USA.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Right? Detroit has gorgeous, unique architecture. For a movie called Detroit, they really could have done something to showcase the city. Now it's going to look like Anywhere City, USA.

It might largely have to do with that Detroit of today looks a lot different from the Detroit of forty years ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Detroit today looks a hell of a lot worse than it did during the riots.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How dare a movie set in 1967 not showcase modern-day Detroit.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Young Freud posted:

It might largely have to do with that Detroit of today looks a lot different from the Detroit of forty years ago.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Detroit today looks a hell of a lot worse than it did during the riots.

Vagabundo posted:

How dare a movie set in 1967 not showcase modern-day Detroit.

A lot of Detroit was built in the 1920s. It's only in the last few years that there has been much of any change since the riots. Detroit today is going to look a hell of a lot more like Detroit in 1967 than Boston today.

Source: I'm from Detroit.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They'll have set dressing it'll be fine boys

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They actually built exact replicas of several city blocks of 60s era Detroit for the movie. But when filming wrapped and all the jobs left, it started to fall into disrepair :(

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They actually built exact replicas of several city blocks of 60s era Detroit for the movie. But when filming wrapped and all the jobs left, it started to fall into disrepair :(

That's great, they can film the sequel there at no extra cost

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Guy Mann posted:

He chose to walk away from it. The Avengers crossover stuff the studio mandated was literally just two scenes (the opening flashback and the fight with birdman at the Avengers HQ), he could have just swallowed his pride and worked with them after they were willing to wait half a decade for him to finish Scott Pilgrim and World's Ens

No they also wanted a funnier script. Wright and Cornish did do rewrites incorporating what Marvel asked for, then Marvel gave it to their in house writers and changed it significantly enough that Wright decided he didn't want to film what they'd written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Errybody mad they didn't use real Detroit but not that they didn't choose a black filmmaker to make that movie?