Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
The secret is that the pod is filled with succulent worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The only fishing minigame I've ever come close to enjoying was Big's in the original Sonic Adventure, and I still suspect that's just lingering stockholm syndrome from trying to get every emblem.

Even then they screwed it up by having weight-dependant rewards while all the fish fell randomly within arbitrary weight ranges, so you had no ida if the big fish you caught was quite big enough until after you'd already spent three minutes trying to land it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nier:Automata's fishing isn't deep by any means, but in an odd sort of way I think it captures the ideal fishing experience: you chill out, admire the scenery, listen to some tunes and top if off by hauling out a robotic flounder. Looking forward to the DLC that lets 2B drink a beer while she waits for the signal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FFXV's fishing is decent, but I didn't even bother trying to catch the really stupidly hard fish to get.

Maybe mute character voices so you don't hear the same tired poo poo when doing it too.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Rangpur posted:

Nier:Automata's fishing isn't deep by any means, but in an odd sort of way I think it captures the ideal fishing experience: you chill out, admire the scenery, listen to some tunes and top if off by hauling out a robotic flounder. Looking forward to the DLC that lets 2B drink a beer while she waits for the signal.

Only if it lets her chuck the empties at 9s' head.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If you have more than one pod can you catch multiple fish? Or is only one filled with tasty stinkbait.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Bad Seafood posted:

The only fishing minigame I've ever come close to enjoying was Big's in the original Sonic Adventure, and I still suspect that's just lingering stockholm syndrome from trying to get every emblem.

Even then they screwed it up by having weight-dependant rewards while all the fish fell randomly within arbitrary weight ranges, so you had no ida if the big fish you caught was quite big enough until after you'd already spent three minutes trying to land it.

I didn't think anyone was able to enjoy that. Ever. It's literally the single most boring thing I've done in a game, with the most pointless and annoying character in the Sonic series.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If you have more than one pod can you catch multiple fish? Or is only one filled with tasty stinkbait.

You don't have more than one pod floating above you. So no.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Serifina posted:

I didn't think anyone was able to enjoy that. Ever. It's literally the single most boring thing I've done in a game, with the most pointless and annoying character in the Sonic series.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn something simply broke inside of me. In either case, I haven't gone back to the game in years and probably never will again so it's not like the fishing was a draw.

Still though, yeah, you could totally give Big the boot and nobody would care.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I liked fishing in breath of fire 3 but I was also a child.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You know what game had the best fishing? Breath of the Wild. Nothing but fun.

It turns out the trick to great fishing is to just not have a fishing rod.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the best fishing game is Luigi's Mansion

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel has the best fishing game. Its not fun, but the best characters are involved with it so its awesome by association and its non obtrusive. LoH is just the perfect game series so thats just a given though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Really Pants posted:

the best fishing game is Luigi's Mansion

:catstare: Holy poo poo, I never thought about the game like that before.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The best fishing was Cavia's Sega Bass Fishing Wii port. Unless it was a bad port, then I'm wrong I guess.

Maybe the real best fishing... was in the thread all along.

The Dark Id posted:

No, this is not an invitation to list counter arguments of supposedly good fishing mini-games.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rangpur posted:

Nier:Automata's fishing isn't deep by any means...

Well, I mean that stream isn't even deep enough to get 2Bs ankles wet, so naturally.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So,how much of a limit is there to where you can take a moose, especially with 2B-enabled platforming powers? I mean, there's probably loading spots to new areas, but like, can they go inside buildings or to the rebel camp? Do they stay put and non-aggressive when you dismount?

The Dark Id posted:

Just crumped in a dead heap

9S will dump will run away and dump with his Pod

That’s real, nice 6O.

Catching our first fish (yes was a fish

And BOY is there a lot of lore dumps on some of ‘em...

Pod laser blasts still sound machine lifeforms rocketing on their rear end

the AI isn’t really bad at following 2B across long distances and doesn’t teleport like 9S will

most all sidequest have I mean OK rewards.

Comma in the wrong spot on that third one. Fifth should be "are there...lore dumps" or "is there...lore dumping"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zagglezig posted:

So,how much of a limit is there to where you can take a moose, especially with 2B-enabled platforming powers? I mean, there's probably loading spots to new areas, but like, can they go inside buildings or to the rebel camp? Do they stay put and non-aggressive when you dismount?

Comma in the wrong spot on that third one. Fifth should be "are there...lore dumps" or "is there...lore dumping"

You can take them most places on the map, though there's an invisible wall in front of the resistance camp. Some other spaces lock them out by putting ladders or elevators.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

NHO posted:

You don't have more than one pod floating above you. So no.

Except where we were told we could get two more pods.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Except where we were told we could get two more pods.

Yes, but even then you don't have more than one active at a time.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zagglezig posted:

You can take them between zones. Between the [nooooooope!] is no problem. There is an invisible wall in front of the resistance base though, and every other zone has either terrain, ladders, or elevators that they can't pass.

They just go back to their normal AI when you dismount, randomly wandering and grazing until you either re-mount or attack them.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 13, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

maybe don't do that

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Erp, didn't imagine that could be a spoiler. Sorry.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I take the boar everywhere unless forced otherwise, its a pretty good area you can travel through.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

I've found there's quite a few places where even if they totally look like they should be able to do it, they stop and dump you off. Those are probably loading zones.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
If you can't beat em, ride em.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

sniper4625 posted:

Oh :(

Suck

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One of my favorite things is that a lot of the heavy attacks for the big swords will just leave the fuckers in the ground. 2b kills 'em and the pod can figure out the details like "getting my sword back"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

sniper4625 posted:

Technically not true

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

HenryEx posted:

Technically not true

I'm not sure if you're referring to your partners pod, but if there's a way to have two or three pods active at once I'm all ears.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

sniper4625 posted:

I'm not sure if you're referring to your partners pod, but if there's a way to have two or three pods active at once I'm all ears.

A couple of animations. Let's leave it there.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

END ME SCOOB posted:

A couple of animations. Let's leave it there.

PM me? 80+ hours in and still things to learn apparently.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Hey. There will probably be a new update tomorrowish. In the meantime:

https://twitter.com/TheDarkId/status/852273728889249793

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

sniper4625 posted:

I'm quoting this in the main thread so come on down

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So do people move out into the outlying buildings as we increase the save point radius, or is that all just so much machine territory?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Glazius posted:

So do people move out into the outlying buildings as we increase the save point radius, or is that all just so much machine territory?

people start migrating out and intermarry with the machines, and then the second third of the game is a combo Spore/Sims machine/android interbreeding minigame, and then the last third of the game is using your hybrid children in an RTS to kill the sisters that spawned out of the flower 2B is hiding under her blindfold

(the save point radius doesn't expand per se, it's just a big circle of 'save available' around each save point)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

people start migrating out and intermarry with the machines, and then the second third of the game is a combo Spore/Sims machine/android interbreeding minigame, and then the last third of the game is using your hybrid children in an RTS to kill the sisters that spawned out of the flower 2B is hiding under her blindfol

Wow dude, just spoil the cooking mama style final boss too while you're at it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the best bait is a grimoire imitation pod

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

One of my favorite things is that a lot of the heavy attacks for the big swords will just leave the fuckers in the ground. 2b kills 'em and the pod can figure out the details like "getting my sword back"

I find it funnier when you do the heavy upward spin attack and then cancel out of it with a dodge. The sword or whatever just keeps going up the rest of the way, spinning just fine without 2B holding it. Then it reappears on her back of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Anyway you're all wrong, Breath of Fire 1 had the best fishing minigame: it wasn't a minigame. You just walked up to the spot, pressed the button once, a song played, and then you got your armour from the bottom of the pond. None of the 'watch for things' or 'press the button a second time' business. No timing. No interaction. A glorified randomized treasure chest. It was beautiful.

• Locked thread