Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

goose willis posted:

Speaking of Alpha Legion, if I take a dedicated transport with infiltrating Alpha Legion chosen, does the transport infiltrate too?

Yes. The BRB says that Infiltrate and Scout can both be conferred to DTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My Mark IV Alpha Legion kill team are pre-Heresy loyalist who were lost in the warp for ten thousand years.

Or so they say. :tinfoil:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Technowolf posted:

Yes. The BRB says that Infiltrate and Scout can both be conferred to DTs.

Nice! Does the squad have to be inside the transport, or can they just be right next to each other?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Congrats on being descendants of the Best Legion.
Alpha Legion
Yep. My thought too.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

goose willis posted:

Nice! Does the squad have to be inside the transport, or can they just be right next to each other?

Inside.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

So I briefly looked at the 1d4chan entry on Shadow War, are kill team games basically one off fights between 2 squads while base 40k is a big fight across a campaign of multiple matches with different people?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Shadow War: Armageddon is a relatively very small scale game (max of 5 models for Grey Knights/Tyranids, max of 10 for most others, max of 20 Orks) that features campaign play and persistent characters across a league-format, using totally different points and balancing mechanisms.

Killteam is basically "40K Lite", 200 points per side, nothing better than 3+ armor, no high armor vehicles, each model moves individually and fires individually. Campaigns/Leagues possible, not necessary.

Regular 40K is whatever you feel like that night. Sometimes tournament, sometimes pick-up games. Campaigns feel like they're few and far between, but that might just be my neck of the woods.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Munchables posted:

So I briefly looked at the 1d4chan entry on Shadow War, are kill team games basically one off fights between 2 squads while base 40k is a big fight across a campaign of multiple matches with different people?
Base 40k is a single battle, typically 1v1. No progression of any kind. It can be tied into a campaign system, but that's up to individual groups and there are more than a few variations floating around. Games at the usual point level, 1850+, can take 2-3 hours to play for experienced players.

Shadow War represents skirmishes between individual squads. It is also meant to a part of a short campaign, being based off of Necromunda. Models can die, miss games, and gain skills or even some stat advancements. A single game will take like 45 minutes to play, sometimes much less with a bad leadership check. It's an old ruleset though and it's got some quirks. Still, it's a pretty fun offshoot and I'd happily recommend it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Strobe posted:

Shadow War: Armageddon is a relatively very small scale game (max of 5 models for Grey Knights/Tyranids, max of 10 for most others, max of 20 Orks) that features campaign play and persistent characters across a league-format, using totally different points and balancing mechanisms.

Killteam is basically "40K Lite", 200 points per side, nothing better than 3+ armor, no high armor vehicles, each model moves individually and fires individually. Campaigns/Leagues possible, not necessary.

Regular 40K is whatever you feel like that night. Sometimes tournament, sometimes pick-up games. Campaigns feel like they're few and far between, but that might just be my neck of the woods.

Yeah 40k can vary in size from small, fun skirmish games of 500-1000 points to broader games with larger forces of 1,500 - 2,000 points (lots of tournaments use 1,850), to massive (interminably long, usually unfun) games of Apocalypse that incorporate thousands of points on each side.

Campaigns aren't super-common, but there are some frameworks for playing them. A lot of the recent campaign books like Curse of the Wulfen and Sanctus Reach had campaigns, though those are army-specific. The Planetary Onslaught supplement actually has a pretty cool 3-stage campaign with rules for each part that works quite well, though--my group has been playing this (I've been posting updates), and it's been a lot of fun (we're coming up on game 6 out of 18). I'd highly recommend it if you've got a group you can game with.

Making campaigns in 40k can be tricky, because it's easy to create snowballing effects that make it impossible for one side to recover. What I generally recommend, especially for first-timers, is to take a page out of GW's current campaign playbook: Use the Planetary Onslaught rules for Warlords (Warlords roll a trait at the start of the campaign and keep that, gain a new one every 6 games, if killed miss the next game on a D6 roll of 1), and generally have small, but significant bonuses for the winner of each game. This will generally mean thinking about the next mission as you plan, but some easy bonuses to do that won't necessarily guarantee the winner continues to roll are:

- Having 1-3 of the Winner's units get the Scout special rule for free
- Letting the Winner draw an extra Maelstrom of War objective card at the start of the next game
- Letting the Winner keep their objectives hidden during a Maelstrom of War mission
- Winner automatically wins the roll for deployment
- 1-3 units in the Winner's army get the Outflank special rule for free
- After deployment, the winner can choose 1 piece of terrain and reduce its cover save by 1 for the rest of the game
- After deployment, the winner can choose 1 piece of terrain and increase its cover save by 1 for the rest of the game
- 1-3 units in the Winner's army get the Move Through Cover special rule for free

and so on.

You can also easily mix game types into a larger campaign--you can have games of Kill Team or SW:A in-between larger games of 40k, where the winner of those games gets a small bonus in the next game, or you could have certain skill bonuses carry over from your gang to 40k--there's a ton of fun stuff you can do there.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

I know there are rpgs based on 40k, like Dark Heresy and whatnot; are there any where you'd have say 2-3 people with a small squad each going through a campaign and encountering each other, and using the models for battles?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My buddy and I are playing kill team games to dictate bonuses and changes in our major 30k campaign games. For instance I wanted to use my knight lancer in a game but I needed to secure access to the noble house and get my EC negotiator to them. He wanted to run a Xiphon (our first flyer in a game) so we played that his fists needed to secure a pad from local traitor guard. Basically anything new or seemingly uncounterable (I have no skyfire, the Xiphon hauled rear end big time in our game) requires a kill team mission prior to the main game. Unlocking a unit or something else this way is majorly fun and the kill team games feel more tense than the main event because you reaaaally want to use that new model and losing is like ah gently caress.

It's also a good way to buy and paint some models you wouldn't normally integrate into an army like guard/auxilia, another legion/chapter or just some cool aliens you don't want an army of but like the look of. I'm tempted to make a necron team so we can play guard v necrons and basically play Terminator: The Game.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 13, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

My buddy and I are playing kill team games to dictate bonuses and changes in our major 30k campaign games.
:eyepop:

Play Lightning Strike/Victory is Vengeance out of book III. Kill Team is real bad.

Munchables posted:

I know there are rpgs based on 40k, like Dark Heresy and whatnot; are there any where you'd have say 2-3 people with a small squad each going through a campaign and encountering each other, and using the models for battles?
That's basically Shadow War. There's no RPG elements so if you wanted that, you'd have to sort it out yourself. But for small squads fighting each other over a campaign? Shadow War.

I wouldn't be surprised to find tabletop conversions of the RPG books, but that probably wouldn't play quickly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Safety Factor posted:

:eyepop:

Play Lightning Strike/Victory is Vengeance out of book III. Kill Team is real bad.

Yeah we do. I say kill team, but the last thing we did used SW:A rules and we also use some necromunda rules. I just call everything kill team :nyan:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

goose willis posted:

Speaking of Alpha Legion, if I take a dedicated transport with infiltrating Alpha Legion chosen, does the transport infiltrate too?

Dirty Alpha Legion Trick: Put 8 plasma seekers in a dedicated land raider proteus with an augury web. Now they have scout and infiltrate. They'll be on top of their marked target before the game starts. Only do this if you have first turn and pray your opponent doesn't seize.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are you talking about 30k here because I'm talking about 40k and none of those units sound familiar to me

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Yeah we do. I say kill team, but the last thing we did used SW:A rules and we also use some necromunda rules. I just call everything kill team :nyan:
Carry on then. :patriot:

goose willis posted:

Are you talking about 30k here because I'm talking about 40k and none of those units sound familiar to me
Yes, those are 30k things. Sometimes the two threads intermingle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Munchables posted:

Anybody know of a good resource on legion/chapter organisation pre-heresy? Preferably with pictures. My fluff for my chapter is that they've been disconnected from the imperium for a while and don't know where their chapter originated from, so they hold a bunch of rules/traditions/organisation from the original legions. Just to be clear, they're not supposed to be MUH OC 21ST LEGION, I'm just trying to give reasoning behind the 30k models being used.

Make them successors of one of the "lost" legions / primarchs, but they were somehow allowed to live unlike the rest of their legion. They get folded into some existing legion but still retain a sense of individualism.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

goose willis posted:

Oops got my wires crossed, sorry!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Munchables posted:

There are not. Play Shadow War, and come up with RPG based scenarios of your own making, also crib the campaign rules from Necromunda and Gorkamorka because the SW:A ones are lame.

Shadow War does have RPG rules for leveling up your dudes across battles (or having them permanently die) which 40k does not have. (Nor Kill Team)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Would the equivalent Alpha Legion 40k tactic be taking five infiltrating plasma chosen in a rhino?

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Yep but might want to go combi plasma. Saves a few point and an aggressive threat like that will probably only get one shot anyways.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yep. My thought too.

Well they certainly wouldn't tell you if you were right.

I don't really care what chapter they are founded by, the Iron Hands just have the best fitting special rules for my play style. I just think the best way to characterize a marine army is to clearly indicate which way things would go if they fell.

Edit: I just read the Alpha Legion fluff for literally the first time. Ahem

ahahahahahaaahaahahahahahahaha*snort*hahehhahahaha

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 13, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

re: muggins

thanks for the scouts homie, I'll post pics this weekend, gonna do some sculpting and conversion work on 'em

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Make them successors of one of the "lost" legions / primarchs, but they were somehow allowed to live unlike the rest of their legion. They get folded into some existing legion but still retain a sense of individualism.

That was my first thought, but for some reason all the guides and stuff I read online about fluffcrafting said don't do that and don't say they were lost in the warp, but those peeps were probably loreboners. What I've come up with so far is that they're a chapter that somehow got lost/disconnected for millenia, and the majority of their history/origin is lost to them. They revere the Emperor as a sun diety of sorts, and the peoples of their homeworld look at them like demigods because the world isn't super advanced. They have a floating monestary and they don't directly rule the planet at all. I'll probably have a tactical or assault heavy army, with some terminators and devastators here and there. I might use the Stormcast models for the honor guard instead of explicitly terminator armor. The name I've got right now is the Starborn, but idk if I want that as the chapter name or as a special name they use for the honor guard.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I got immense joy out of watching these four dads walk around Adepticon and slowly go from mocking to "wow, this is cool."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZVecn2e9U

Man, if these guys would have seen the NoVA narrative players, especially the humanity players, we could have got them getting kits on the spot.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Sanford posted:

About six months ago i created a reddit account and posted a page from The Lost and The Damned at the request of a friend. I logged into the account today for the first time since then and discovered I missed... something? Wall of text incoming!

:words: from an unbalanced Belarussian

:magical:

Uroboros posted:

So, Guilliman is about 80% done. Not super happy with how his armor came out and decided I'm going to go back at it after all the other details are done.

Thoughts?

No, shut up, it's fine.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Got some more Tau commissions back. This is painted by Ironheaded (Todd Falk). He's been doing a great job for me. Frees me up to paint other things.

The crisis suits are fully magnetized. The idea here is that the grey squad helps break up the army a bit. In terms of Lore, the grey squad has been dishonored and must fight in a suicidal vanguard to regain their honor. I have them equipped with fusion blasters and plasma rifles at the moment.

I only want to own one standard Riptide. Such a little head! His two primary weapons are magnetized.

Railsides aren't very popular these days, but the kits are awesome and nothing in Warhammer stays bad forever (except orks?). Railsides are actually pretty good, just everything in Tau's list is so good you have to be amazing to stand out. The Missilesides are a more standard build. I always thought Missilesides looked a little silly, but they've grown on me.

A Coldstar commander! He might not be optimal, but the kit is great.

So many drones. Drones are the worst thing GW has done to 40k, just in terms of storage and transport alone.

Ironheaded is a fantastic commission painter. He's done exactly what I wanted in terms of wear and tear, color selection, base colors, level of detail, etc. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I had to drive to another city for an all-day work thing, but a FLGS in the town had 2 copies of SWA, so I picked one up.

Goddamn, the terrain looks completely rad and makes me want to gather lots of industrial bulkheads and such for an underground map.

It also makes me want to build some Tyranid Warriors :shepicide: However, I've promised myself not to buy any more models until 8th edition and a Tyranid re-write, beyond all the :cthulhu:-faced ones just for thematic purposes.

The other side is that I have a set of Ork Boyz and Space Marine Scouts up for sale/trade, if anybody wants.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

GreenMarine posted:

Got some more Tau commissions back. This is painted by Ironheaded (Todd Falk). He's been doing a great job for me. Frees me up to paint other things.

The crisis suits are fully magnetized. The idea here is that the grey squad helps break up the army a bit. In terms of Lore, the grey squad has been dishonored and must fight in a suicidal vanguard to regain their honor. I have them equipped with fusion blasters and plasma rifles at the moment.

I only want to own one standard Riptide. Such a little head! His two primary weapons are magnetized.

Railsides aren't very popular these days, but the kits are awesome and nothing in Warhammer stays bad forever (except orks?). Railsides are actually pretty good, just everything in Tau's list is so good you have to be amazing to stand out. The Missilesides are a more standard build. I always thought Missilesides looked a little silly, but they've grown on me.

A Coldstar commander! He might not be optimal, but the kit is great.

So many drones. Drones are the worst thing GW has done to 40k, just in terms of storage and transport alone.

Ironheaded is a fantastic commission painter. He's done exactly what I wanted in terms of wear and tear, color selection, base colors, level of detail, etc. Can't recommend him highly enough.

:aaa:

Those bases are gorgeous! How were they done?

Nice looking army as well. I like the yellow missiles and the metal burn on the ion accelerator.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I hear you on the drones thing. I recently got back into Tau and was saddened to discover that they hadn't been changed to ball and socket flight stands.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Xposting from the 30k thread:
I put together a video covering Adepticon 2017, check it out if you didn't get enough from the bonus episode of the Badcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FH8VT9jN0M

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If you use the special terrain rules, you might not want a table of the Shadow Wars terrain for 40k. This stuff is deadly:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

If you use the special terrain rules, you might not want a table of the Shadow Wars terrain for 40k. This stuff is deadly:

Meh, I'll just keep doing what I already did for the GW terrain and ignoring the rules for anything that isn't a fortification

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I wonder if there is Osha in the 41st Millennium

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Of course there is, the Administratum loves that kind of poo poo.

Now ask me how evenly and effectively those regulations are enforced.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

SRM posted:

I put together a video covering Adepticon 2017, check it out if you didn't get enough from the bonus episode of the Badcast:

I'm the neckbeard.

No, the other neckbeard.

No no, the other other ne-

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

You know, I don't recall you filming at any point but hell maybe I just mistook it for regular ole picture taking.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mango sentinel posted:

Of course there is, the Administratum loves that kind of poo poo.

Now ask me how evenly and effectively those regulations are enforced.

I believe Osha falls under the Commissars since if you are injured at work then obviously it was because of a failing in your love for the Emperor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I had to drive to another city for an all-day work thing, but a FLGS in the town had 2 copies of SWA, so I picked one up.

Goddamn, the terrain looks completely rad and makes me want to gather lots of industrial bulkheads and such for an underground map.

It also makes me want to build some Tyranid Warriors :shepicide: However, I've promised myself not to buy any more models until 8th edition and a Tyranid re-write, beyond all the :cthulhu:-faced ones just for thematic purposes.

The other side is that I have a set of Ork Boyz and Space Marine Scouts up for sale/trade, if anybody wants.

Aw man, you should have picked up the other one! I would have paid you a good bit extra :v:

Hihohe posted:

I wonder if there is Osha in the 41st Millennium

If they do exist, they exist to make sure the proper number of workers dies every month to achieve maximum efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

SRM posted:

Why are there such disparity between the quality of terrain on some of the tables? Are different groups in charge of running different events and set up the boards for them. Can't imagine traveling halfway across the country to have to play on some of those stinkers when the people across the room are playing on amazing tables.

Also when are you going to do a battle report?

• Locked thread