Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat, one of the largest electronic retailers in latvia is selling xbones for 249 a piece with no discounts or anything. i wonder how many units have actually been sold here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more work fun:
visio 2013 refuses to display 100%, best I can get is 104%, and zooming in or out gets similarly stupid percentages like 56% etc.

some recent update deleted every excel and word shortcut I had sitting on my desktop for some unknown reason. others were unaffected

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

gentlemen, start your credit cards!

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Surface-Book-with-Performance-Base/productID.5089081600

:jackbud:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

haha what the gently caress

won't even tell you what cpu is in the loving thing

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Hardware specifications:
---------------------------------------
Computer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

haha what the gently caress

won't even tell you what cpu is in the loving thing
duh it's a 6th gen core i7

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

let's see what it is in real money:
https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...rfaceBook_31117

$2,399.00 and it only has 256 jiggawatts of storage lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

im sorry, the correct term is gigasids

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

yeah but it has a pen!!!!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol at claiming their processors are twice as fast as a macbook pro when the base model is basically an air

lol at apple for calling that thing a pro

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have the absolute slowest macbook pro you can purchase and it is fast and good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

duh it's a 6th gen core i7

hmmm I wonder if they put in a 15W dual core ora 45W quad core

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im sorry, the correct term is gigasids
one billon sudden infant death syndrome

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

one billon sudden infant death syndrome
was just mocking sagebrush's faculty :shobon:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i like how the creators update tells you that it's going to warn you before it starts installing, and specifically tells you that's so you can save your files

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I have the absolute slowest macbook pro you can purchase and it is fast and good

same but for 2015

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

akadajet posted:

i made this in the horrible new incarnation of mspaint. couldn't figure out how to punch the hole in the 'P'

Yes this seems about the correct amount of effort

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol in the creators update version of internet explorer there's a new tab button and an open edge button

woah and it makes you click a dropdown before you can accept a bad certificate, like firefox

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
oh and apparently just having windows 10 doesn't guarantee you're going to be get security updates, now you need to install these feature updates every few years too http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/windows-10-version-1507-servicing-scheduled-end-09-may-2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

anthonypants posted:

oh and apparently just having windows 10 doesn't guarantee you're going to be get security updates, now you need to install these feature updates every few years too http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/windows-10-version-1507-servicing-scheduled-end-09-may-2017

yeah, there's an lts-style structure on the enterprise side, but you can't just stick on a feature level and stay safe

a bit sad, the support and patch cycle was a neat aspect of the olden day stuff

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

(restarting the store fixed it)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol.

also creators update scrubs any manual IP configuration you may have, because gently caress it, you didn't need that anyway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Hardware specifications:
---------------------------------------
Computer

gently caress

modsssss?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm using the latest windows 10 and it's pretty ace. game mode works well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*does spreadsheets w an xbox controller*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i switched my gaming poo poo back to windows 7 and i'm very happy with my decision

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

i switched my gaming poo poo back to windows 7 and i'm very happy with my decision
gaming benefits the most from win 10 over win 7, hth

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

lol.

also creators update scrubs any manual IP configuration you may have, because gently caress it, you didn't need that anyway

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gaming benefits the most from win 10 over win 7, hth
how so

also there was an nsa dump earlier today and there's a bunch of microsoft 0-days on the internet right now and they're apparently working on windows 10, hold on to you are butt's

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a few things play out in favour of win 10

overall higher performance in games in general - even when it was day 0 with god knows how much poo poo broken behind the scenes
directx 12 support
newest hardware exclusivity (win 7/8/.1 doesnt get updates if you have kaby lake cpu or ryzen gpu)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
vulkan rulez dx12 droolz

*looks at list of vulkan games w/like five games on it over a year after vulkan came out :sigh:*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if vulkan actually took off then linux gaming could actually unironically be a thing but lol that's never going to happen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it really is pretty unclear how linux gaming would take off, it is a space were monopolies are fairly natural. vulkan is still cool and good though, only good things can come of it getting broad acceptance

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a few things play out in favour of win 10

overall higher performance in games in general - even when it was day 0 with god knows how much poo poo broken behind the scenes
directx 12 support
newest hardware exclusivity (win 7/8/.1 doesnt get updates if you have kaby lake cpu or ryzen gpu)
newer hardware isn't a good argument since there still aren't that many games that use dx12 (same with vulkan) and if you had the latest hardware games would run great on windows 7. has anyone done any actual benchmarks on "overall higher performance in games in general" or is this just another microsoft press release bullet point

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

vulkan rulez dx12 droolz

*looks at list of vulkan games w/like five games on it over a year after vulkan came out :sigh:*

vulcan is cool but the time will tell if it gets anywhere

anthonypants posted:

newer hardware isn't a good argument since there still aren't that many games that use dx12 (same with vulkan) and if you had the latest hardware games would run great on windows 7. has anyone done any actual benchmarks on "overall higher performance in games in general" or is this just another microsoft press release bullet point

enjoy your old windows without security updates is the "bad" modern hardware argument. dx12 sure, not many games around for now.

as for benchmarks, the ones i vaguely remember from around release did show performance gains of a few percent, give or take. nothing dramatic, but consistent enough. i would've likely cared less were i able to afford a computer good enough for modern "minimal specs" to begin with, though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what if all the big engines support dx12/vulkan/whatever though!!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there is no reason to use windows 7 when windows 10 exists, just get with the program

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

what if all the big engines support dx12/vulkan/whatever though!!!
all the big engines (i.e. ue4/idtech6/unity/cryengine/frostbite) do support either (or both). its up to developers to use them, not for engines to support them.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

they'll do benchmarks to your bespoke wishes when you get away from windows xp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

vulkan rulez dx12 droolz

dx12 had roughly zero games until almost a year later. having talos principal on launch day and doom less than 6 months later is impressive, especially considering that doom is the only game so far where using a new api makes a real "wow!" difference

• Locked thread