Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Zzulu posted:

Is this what american workplaces are like? Basically like kindergarden school? I can literally not even imagine people in my workplace loving showing pics of other people and making fun of their weight

there is no office bully here

jesus gently caress you guys are weird

Yes but get this Zzulu: your fat wife :grin:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

As the door finally swings free you find that behind it, there is nothing but a bare brick wall. "It leads nowhere," shes says, suddenly behind you, "just like a relationship without trust"

No no no. Behind that brick wall is a cask of delicious wine or a dead man tied to a chair. Shrodinger's Amontillado.

"For the love of God, Montressour!"
"I don't believe in fairy tales..."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

yeah sorry you're the dumbass who thinks it was a grave imposition to have to say "GOOD BREAD GOOD MEAT GOOD GOD, LET'S EAT"

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

:eyepop:

OP is just jealous that Katie has so much better ideas than her

this one's just got some fun bad taste brinksmanship going on
[30m] My girlfriend [28f] is overdoing it with tattoos and they are BAD. How do I have an intervention with her without coming off as controlling or judgmental?

Bad tattoos are my greatest bane

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Bad tattoos are my greatest bane

WB 54 40!!!!

how's Pnurtis?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yes but get this Zzulu: your fat wife :grin:

omg

im gonna sooo spread that picture of you from your vacation that you posted on FB all over the office and show everyone how fat you were :catstare: you're in so much trouble :catstare:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

omg

im gonna sooo spread that picture of you from your vacation that you posted on FB all over the office and show everyone how fat you were :catstare: you're in so much trouble :catstare:

Im gonna need to make a kleenex run

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Mirthless posted:

WB 54 40!!!!

how's Pnurtis?
He's a good baby! It took 42 hours and an Unplanned c-section him topside but he's healthy!
http://m.imgur.com/nsWI0C0

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The person whose house it is is supposed to say the prayer. You don't ask random guests to do it because it puts them on the spot, especially when you don't know their religion.

At best they will be uncomfortable, and at worst they will tell you your religion is stupid and wrong.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if someone told me I was going to hell I'd pinch their loving nipples

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zzulu posted:

if someone told me I was going to hell I'd pinch their loving nipples

I'd tell them I'll be the DJ, and they will be there as well. It's gonna be hot.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I like fairy tale girl more and more for finally standing up to mom when the boyfriend can't. Wait til mom asks them to stay in her hotel room for their honeymoon. "Still not into your fantasies."

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

He's a good baby! It took 42 hours and an Unplanned c-section him topside but he's healthy!

Goddamnit 54, you know you're not supposed to post baby pics to the internet on penalty of goon abduction. Now baby 54 is going to end up being raised by his goon kidnapper and end up in a retarded r/relationship post about "My [1Baby] dad [40Goon] won't stop talking about loving stairs and hot dog sandwiches and poo poo, how do I sever with him?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats on Pnurtis.

Now go sleep in the six seconds you have before babby needs more food.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your nonexistent god can suck my dick, now let's eat!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Streak posted:

Your nonexistent god can suck my dick, now let's eat!

Eating meat on a friday is the true sky wizard faux pas

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Congratulations on the baby

The community of Something Awful stands ready and willing to offer their guidance and parental advisory

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

wooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Much respect. He's cute! especially for a new baby, they're pretty ugly at that stage a lot of the time!

Elsa posted:

I like fairy tale girl more and more for finally standing up to mom when the boyfriend can't. Wait til mom asks them to stay in her hotel room for their honeymoon. "Still not into your fantasies."

FabioClone posted:

The person whose house it is is supposed to say the prayer. You don't ask random guests to do it because it puts them on the spot, especially when you don't know their religion.

At best they will be uncomfortable, and at worst they will tell you your religion is stupid and wrong.

1. This is like the most bog standard thing in bible belt homes so I don't know how this is an issue of standing up to anybody, you are projecting so loving hard I'd think you were manufactured by Optoma
2. It's really common to ask a guest of honor to say grace for you and it doesn't have to be christian unless you decide it's christian.

Have you guys never been south of the mason-dixon line? You're making this out to be some kind of bizarre power game they play with people who come over and that's insane. You'll find people saying grace at nearly every formal meal in the bible belt. Half the drat table is atheist at our family gatherings and we still say grace! You're blowing something completely innocuous out of proportion, exactly like weird disrespectful atheist girlfriend did.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 13, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Saying a prayer to the christian god before eating is a christian thing

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Yes, fine, you're all apostates in my eyes, go gently caress you are selves

Me [26M] with my girlfriend [28F] dating five months, changed her mind and wants an abortion and dumped me 2 days before we were to go for an ultrasound. Breakups

quote:

submitted 1 year ago by turd_ferguson89

I posted two weeks ago about hormones. I must seem like an inept, complaining goblin. I really apologize if I seem stupid asking this. My "GF?" is around 12-16 weeks pregnant (we're scheduled for an ultrasound on Monday). Things have been going great since my last post up until yesterday. We had plans to go to dinner, we were excited to see each other play cards and watch a new show we started on Netflix. While I was at work she sent a text saying she feels fat, tired, stupid. She normally makes jokes about it too which i thought this was the case. I say "don't worry baby we'll see what prenatal vitamins the doctor prescribes on Monday." To which she says "ughhhhhh" "it doesn't fix everything."

Here is where I messed up. After that response I said "I'm leaving work in ten minutes." Because we were to meet up right after I leave work. It seemed dismissive and insensitive but it wasn't. I figured it's something we could talk in person. It was "me saying I'm leaving work soon so we can meet up." Her response was "whatever, maybe i'll hang out with my friend." To which I responded "what, why?" She said "you clearly don't want to be with me, so i'll be with someone who does." I said "baby I do want to be with you I was telling you when I was leaving." To paraphrase I was told she doesn't want to be with me right now and to leave her alone. I did, for six hours at home. I tried calling her and was ignored. And she was upset I called her 6 hours later. I told her I wanted to try and talk about this and work this out. She said there's nothing to talk about "you didn't care about me all day, why do you want to talk now." This wasn't true, I thought maybe she was feeling overwhelmed and just needed me to gently caress off for a few hours.

Here is where i'm having a huge problem. I told her I don't know what to do, I want to see you I want to fix this . Then she said "I wish your stupid baby wasn't in my stupid body." I was stunned and didn't respond. Five minutes later she said "it's not too late to get an abortion, thats what I want to do. I don't want your baby, and I don't want to be with you." This is the first time she referred to it as "my baby." She then changed her status on Facebook to nothing and hid it. I don't know what to do. I love her, and I care for her, I've begged for to not leave, and she told me nothing I say matters anymore. I haven't said anything since. I'm blown away. I didn't want an abortion, we were excited for the baby started shopping at "babies r us." Had names picked out. And honestly even more so, I certainly do not want to break up. I love her. What should I do? We also filled out applications to move in together the same day.

TLDR: I love her and I don't want to break up, Is this just hormones?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I went to a private Christian school, and I was a troublemaker. The principal made me say a prayer before the entire school, and I guarantee that was a power play. So I know it's at least within the realm of possibility.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mirthless posted:

wooooooooooooooooooooooooow

1. This is like the most bog standard thing in bible belt homes so I don't know how this is an issue of standing up to anybody, you are projecting so loving hard I'd think you were manufactured by Optoma
2. It's really common to ask a guest of honor to say grace for you and it doesn't have to be christian unless you decide it's christian.

Have you guys never been south of the mason-dixon line? You're making this out to be some kind of bizarre power game they play with people who come over and that's insane. You'll find people saying grace at nearly every formal meal in the bible belt. Half the drat table is atheist at our family gatherings and we still say grace! You're blowing something completely innocuous out of proportion, exactly like weird disrespectful atheist girlfriend did.

Grew up in a Christian family and went to other church members' houses for dinner all the time. Person whose house it was always said grace, which seems to be a clearly better system since there's no chance of sky-wizard comebacks.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Saying a prayer to the christian god before eating is a christian thing

You don't have to sign your prayers or address them my dude

Leon Einstein posted:

I went to a private Christian school, and I was a troublemaker. The principal made me say a prayer before the entire school, and I guarantee that was a power play. So I know it's at least within the realm of possibility.

Yeah no I agree it can absolutely be a power play but they didn't know she was an atheist and chances are pretty good they say grace at every formal dinner in that family. It's culture and tradition. It comes from a religious context, but so do lots of family traditions in this country.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

Yes, fine, you're all apostates in my eyes, go gently caress you are selves

Me [26M] with my girlfriend [28F] dating five months, changed her mind and wants an abortion and dumped me 2 days before we were to go for an ultrasound. Breakups

Im happy for the woman.

Not much else to add, just solidarity and support for topping the abortion with an extremely accurate summary of the problem

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Neat kiddo

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Mirthless please don't break kayfabe tia

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FabioClone posted:

Grew up in a Christian family and went to other church members' houses for dinner all the time. Person whose house it was always said grace, which seems to be a clearly better system since there's no chance of sky-wizard comebacks.

a better system is raising your children not to date fat redditors

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Barudak posted:

Im happy for the woman.

Not much else to add, just solidarity and support for topping the abortion with an extremely accurate summary of the problem

:agreed:

jesus they've been dating for five months, so they were together for only 3 when she got pregnant. I really hope she goes through with it, this would be a horrible situation for everyone involved. :smith: This guy is way too in a hurry to be a dad.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Honestly I would politely decline saying Grace if asked even though I recognise that it's more of a social convention for many people but that's because I'm a secular Jew and would prefer not to be pressured into participating in Christian rituals no matter how divorced from actual religiosity they are. I don't think that's unreasonable, I'm not going to ask a gentile to say a brachah rishonah if they come to dinner at my house because it's not their culture. No need to be a huge dick about it like girlfriend.

Mirthless posted:

This is only true if you're culturally Christian even if you don't practice or believe. It feels very different if you're a member of a minority religion in a Christian country which I realise you might not have experienced.

Also congrats on making a tiny person 54 40!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Zzulu posted:

we dont do prayers at dinner in this country because we're not medieval loving villagers or whatever

jeez

you seriously sit down and pray to god at dinner every time??

Quite a few Americans do, yes. Enjoy your eternal stay in hell when you choke on your unblessed food.

E: you can even sometimes see families praying over their McDonald's and poo poo.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

boner confessor posted:

a better system is raising your children not to date fat redditors

then they'll rebel and date the fattest ones they can find.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
its extremely normal in the south to ask a guest to say grace, and also, its stupid as gently caress because it is absolutely a litmus test. even if it wasn't a litmus test when it was asked, if you decline it sure as gently caress becomes one in retrospect so the family can whisper about why you've forsaken god

source- grew up in and lived in the south for 25 years

can we stop now

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Werong Bustope posted:

Honestly I would politely decline saying Grace if asked even though I recognise that it's more of a social convention for many people but that's because I'm a secular Jew and would prefer not to be pressured into participating in Christian rituals no matter how divorced from actual religiosity they are. I don't think that's unreasonable, I'm not going to ask a gentile to say a brachah rishonah if they come to dinner at my house because it's not their culture. No need to be a huge dick about it like girlfriend.

This is only true if you're culturally Christian even if you don't practice or believe. It feels very different if you're a member of a minority religion in a Christian country which I realise you might not have experienced.

Yeah that's fair and I don't disagree! But that's also not the case here. Atheism is a lack of belief, it's not like paying lip service to a cultural practice is really compromising your values unless you feel really strongly about disrespecting somebody's religion with empty participation, and given this lady's behavior I don't think that was something she was concerned about. If your (the royal you) reason for being an atheist is contempt for dumb people, well, lol.

For what it's worth, at least in my family, I'm pretty sure we'd ask somebody with different cultural practices to share those practices if they were comfortable with it. :shrug: Saying grace at a family meal is supposed to be one of those things that builds togetherness, not something that drives you apart.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

its extremely normal in the south to ask a guest to say grace, and also, its stupid as gently caress because it is absolutely a litmus test. even if it wasn't a litmus test when it was asked, if you decline it sure as gently caress becomes one in retrospect so the family can whisper about why you've forsaken god

source- grew up in and lived in the south for 25 years

can we stop now

Fair enough, I've said everything I can really say about this at this point anyway

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

FabioClone posted:

then they'll rebel and date the fattest ones they can find.

So, you're saying if I start posting on Reddit, I might have a chance in 14 years?

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, you're saying if I start posting on Reddit, I might have a chance in 14 years?

impressive self-own.

but the answer is "no," there will always be someone fatter.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

To be fair, "it's tradition in the South" is a pretty good reason to get rid of any tradition, whether it's a weird religion litmus test or not.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ranbo das posted:

To be fair, "it's tradition in the South" is a pretty good reason to get rid of any tradition, whether it's a weird religion litmus test or not.

see also: loving bowties

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

see also: loving bowties

Why wouldn't you just wear them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Mirthless posted:

:agreed:

jesus they've been dating for five months, so they were together for only 3 when she got pregnant. I really hope she goes through with it, this would be a horrible situation for everyone involved. :smith: This guy is way too in a hurry to be a dad.

12 to 16 weeks means she's 3-4 months pregnant. She got pregnant at 1-2 months into the relationship.