Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

I can't lie, I'm really looking forward to the prerelease. This looks like a fun set to learn to play limited in.

honestly i've had an absolute blast drafting every set since SoI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

its me glenda posted:

my inner johnny has the biggest erection
I want to make a Sultai deck that gets a huge hand, dumps all but one to Noose Constrictor, casts this and dumps everything again.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Man, Wizards really love printing cards for Eggs-style decks

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I can't wait to someone to break this and jeskai ascendancy in modern.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Start//End 2W//2B

Start - Instant :
Create two white 1/1 Warrior Tokens with Vigilance

End - Sorcery :
Aftermath

As an additional cost to cast End, sacrifice a creature.
Destroy target creature.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...That doesn't seem horrible?

The art's pretty :smith: tho.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Siivola posted:

...That doesn't seem horrible?

The art's pretty :smith: tho.

In limited, yeah, but that's a lot to pay for bone splinters.

I keep being surprised that some of these split card half names haven't already been used.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Kind of funny that 90% of this cards use will be naming Gideon.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Saheeli, we have to talk about all these cats. They're out of control."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You can use Gideon's Intervention to make your own Pyroclasm not hurt your own team.

Cute!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can use Gideon's Intervention to make your own Pyroclasm not hurt your own team.

Cute!

You can use it to make your own Splintering Wind not hurt your own team, since Splinter is a card you can name.

Extremely cute!

EDIT: The damage is dealt to you by Splintering Wind, not the token. It still works, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

clamiam45 posted:

The climax of the story is that the hero bares his chest then defeats the villain by throwing wide his arms and flexing his pecs.

Flex Mentallo being written into the Magic plot would be pretty amazing.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Zemyla posted:

You can use it to make your own Splintering Wind not hurt your own team, since Splinter is a card you can name.

Extremely cute!

EDIT: The damage is dealt to you by Splintering Wind, not the token. It still works, though.
You can make it so that Madcap Skills does no damage to you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

That art is hella sweet.

Also rules Q- why does that say "discarded or cycled" when cycling inherently has a discard effect built into it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

That art is hella sweet.

Also rules Q- why does that say "discarded or cycled" when cycling inherently has a discard effect built into it?

Because wizards thinks players are too dumb to figure out the interaction otherwise.

Why is it rules text and not reminder text? Nobody knows.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
This set looks fun for limited so far. Looking forward to casting Mouth.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

C-Euro posted:

That art is hella sweet.

Leaves them open if they ever print a card with a static ability changing how cycling works, perhaps?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

According to Maro, playtesting has shown that a) people really did not figure it out and b) people don't read reminder text if they think they know how a rule goes.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So if I cycle to draw a card, it's a Sorcery and I cast it, I can get it back from the graveyard with this card right?

:v:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mythic uncommon spotted

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Flash is interesting though. It's filthy with the Green God.

The problem being why would you play it over Verdurous Gearhulk.

Why? It doesn't turn the god on...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I can't see this being played over Glimmer of Genius.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Why? It doesn't turn the god on...

Because with 2G it becomes a 5/4 haste flash vigilance trample double striker.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

Because with 2G it becomes a 5/4 haste flash vigilance trample double striker.

That is fine but it doesn't turn on the god by itself without you investing more mana into it which was my point.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Presumably, if you flash it in on opponent's end of turn (or as a surprise blocker) with the god in play, you'll have that mana to beat down on your turn, and the list of things you'd rather do with that mana is probably pretty short at that point.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

If there's a good control deck, there will at the very least be a split between this and Glimmer.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/cascadingcataracts.jpg

I can't wait to get this in prize packs and throw them away.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

If there's a good control deck, there will at the very least be a split between this and Glimmer.

Why would there be a split. Glimmer scries and turns on Aether Hub. The new card allows you cycle early if you are in a oh poo poo moment and already losing; you might as well pay 1 more mana for anticipate and dig.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

Glimmer is not a good fit in the Drake Haven deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

http://mythicspoiler.com/akh/cards/cascadingcataracts.jpg

I can't wait to get this in prize packs and throw them away.

:aaa: we're getting 5 colour poo poo soon!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Was indestructible added as an attempt to justify the rarity, and/or did they think that would have some relevance in standard?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

DangerDongs posted:

Why would there be a split. Glimmer scries and turns on Aether Hub. The new card allows you cycle early if you are in a oh poo poo moment and already losing; you might as well pay 1 more mana for anticipate and dig.

Cycling has value outside of "oh poo poo I'm about to lose" moments and is precisely the sort of ability that can help a control deck smooth out games where it would otherwise have no early game action. 1 mana is also a lot different than 2, particularly in a control deck where you're trying to make as much room for interaction as possible in the early game. This gives you something to do on turn 1, and with enough other 1 and 2 mana interaction cards (like, say, Harnessed Lightning), the ability to cycle this + cast Harnessed Lightning on turn 3, or this + Fatal Push on turn 2 is meaningfully better than having to pick between it and another 2-mana card on turn 3. Flexible cards always look

A control deck also presumably wouldn't care that much about powering up an Aether Hub on turn 4+.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Glimmer of genius is probably better, but that's a clever design and it might see play in a cycling-matters deck or a deck that really wants spells in the graveyard.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Was indestructible added as an attempt to justify the rarity, and/or did they think that would have some relevance in standard?

100%
- next set is a multicolor set
OR
- one of the next blocks is a multicolor block.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I will finally cash in on my collection of 87 foil One With Nothing!
The time has come.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I find it weird that they are trying to go ultra safe with removal but not combo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

YggdrasilTM posted:

100%
- next set is a multicolor set
OR
- one of the next blocks is a multicolor block.

I'm wondering if initially it filtered without adding to the cost, but as a precaution of potential, if unlikely, problems with some Converge cards they played it safe. As is I think the card is just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Does that land do anything fun with Bring to Light? Or any other converge?

• Locked thread