Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

dmnz posted:

Game of Thrones in space is a terrible comparison.

It has very dissimilar characters, plots and themes.

I *guess* you could argue that GoT is a good show you should watch, and so is The Expanse..
But I really dislike the 'its like GoT but" comparisons that are thrown around everywhere.

I meant in that it's "prestige television about rising and falling political factions and actors in a fantastic setting with a wide variety of characters with conflicting motivations spread across a variety of tangentially related settings". No it's not a perfect comparison, but it's a shorthand way for non-robots to get people quickly up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Humanity gently caress Yeah-type belief that humans are somehow unique because we're so hardcore and not logical and do things that must be totally weird to alien races is the galactic equivalent of a shut-in kid believing he's some magical being with powers beyond mortal comprehension.

Except met with less cringe and more :jerkbag:-equivalent.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pierzak posted:

Humanity gently caress Yeah-type belief that humans are somehow unique

Except this is true because intelligent alien life doesn't exist.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

For the Bible tells me so.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pierzak posted:

Humanity gently caress Yeah-type belief that humans are somehow unique because we're so hardcore and not logical and do things that must be totally weird to alien races is the galactic equivalent of a shut-in kid believing he's some magical being with powers beyond mortal comprehension.

Except met with less cringe and more :jerkbag:-equivalent.

Humans are the chuunibyou of the universe. I believe there's an anime about this concept.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Eh, there's already enough stories in which humans are extraordinarily average relative to every alien species out there, and inevitably end up using alien technology to leapfrog. It's interesting to have ones where we're the unusual ones.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

dmnz posted:

Game of Thrones in space is a terrible comparison.

It has very dissimilar characters, plots and themes.

I *guess* you could argue that GoT is a good show you should watch, and so is The Expanse..
But I really dislike the 'its like GoT but" comparisons that are thrown around everywhere.

Game of Thrones in space exists, it's called Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it's rad.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Eh, there's already enough stories in which humans are extraordinarily average relative to every alien species out there, and inevitably end up using alien technology to leapfrog. It's interesting to have ones where we're the unusual ones.

IIRC there's a series written by some hack, I want to say Turtledove, where humanity is kept in deliberate isolation from other spacefaring races because were too adaptable. All the other ones are all things like evolved deer and such and are really made for a small slice of Biomes. Eventually I think in the setting Humans become the default mercenaries who asskick all around the galaxy working for other races.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 13, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pyrolocutus posted:

Right, normally it's the aliens that represent exaggerated aspects of humanity, but it would be neat if humans were just totally their own thing.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Avenging Dentist posted:

This seems difficult to support.

I'll check out The Expanse if I can get it. I don't really watch anything on real TV these days but presumably I can stream it somewhere, thanks for the tip.

What reading this thread has mostly got me thinking about is the specific needs of games, though, and how they make it harder to have really alien aliens. A good example, if not sci-fi, is the Eldrazi from MTG, which I always thought felt were pretty disappointing because they didn't feel all that strange or alien. There's really only so far you can go with "this stuff is weird and doesn't work or think like we expect" when everything needs to have a clear mechanical home and function. You can make it interact weirdly with the rules, or do things that are unique, but at the end of the day, it can't really be meaningfully incomprehensible or unknown because the game needs to resolve. Similarly with things like armies in space minis games, you can set the flavor text around the battle however you want, but it's going to be really hard to make the pieces behave like they aren't human because they're controlled by a human player.

Which makes me wonder if you could make a faction that played in a style that's weird enough to seem at least a little inhuman. Something like the synapse creature thing with tyranids but much stranger, so it encourages behavior that's not just a little unusual but actively alien. And whether you could do it in a way that was actually good game design - ie, without being obviously railroading, and while still being enjoyable to play and relatively elegant. Thus far nothing's springing to mind, but it'd be cool if you could pull it off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think you can get around that by giving them comparable mechanics to a human race but by giving them asymmetric objectives that seem counter-intuitive to the player.

A human faction needs to hold two of the four quarters on the board to win, but the alien faction needs 40% of their infantry to die. Or something, that was just off the top of my head.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alien objectives:

-Recover the corpse of a specific, unremarkable line infantryman on the other side, at all costs.
-Get everyone in two particular units killed by the enemy
-flee off the opponent's edge of the board
-get into melee contact with the enemy commander so you can give him your most powerul weapon as a gift, and then have your best warrior fight him... but not to the death, if either combatant dies, you immediately lose
-dig a big hole and get all your surviving units into it by the end of turn five. Dudes in the hole are not allowed to fire out of the hole.
-just don't show up to the fight at all. Call your opponent on the phone and concede.
-your troops don't understand how to fight. They stand around dying passively until your opponent either stops, or kills them all.
-One unit charges into melee with your opponent, and then the rest of your army has to kill them before the enemy does.
-Capture an enemy commander, and then make him the leader of your army. Your forces loyally do whatever your opponent tells them to do. But if the commander tries to escape, kill him.
-Your forces cannot function in this environment. Deploy ordnance from orbit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

This checks out OP

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Fantasy Flight has released a painting guide for the skeletons in Runewars.
I feel like if that was GW it'd cost £15.

Also army three has been actually officially announced, which is the Latari Elves. I'm sure the Demons will be announced next week. It's a shame they're not all coming out at the same time though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
All this alien talk makes me wish that poo poo like elves and dwarves in fantasy settings were actually depicted as more alien (i.e. not just tall humans with pointy ears or short humans with beards). Immortality (or even just a very long life-span) should radically change your approach to problem-solving, for instance.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Leperflesh posted:

Alien objectives:

-Recover the corpse of a specific, unremarkable line infantryman on the other side, at all costs.
-Get everyone in two particular units killed by the enemy
-flee off the opponent's edge of the board
-get into melee contact with the enemy commander so you can give him your most powerul weapon as a gift, and then have your best warrior fight him... but not to the death, if either combatant dies, you immediately lose
-dig a big hole and get all your surviving units into it by the end of turn five. Dudes in the hole are not allowed to fire out of the hole.
-just don't show up to the fight at all. Call your opponent on the phone and concede.
-your troops don't understand how to fight. They stand around dying passively until your opponent either stops, or kills them all.
-One unit charges into melee with your opponent, and then the rest of your army has to kill them before the enemy does.
-Capture an enemy commander, and then make him the leader of your army. Your forces loyally do whatever your opponent tells them to do. But if the commander tries to escape, kill him.

I would play this game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

As a game with secret objectives it would be rad. Do I kill this easy to kill guy, or is that what they want me to do?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ilmucche posted:

As a game with secret objectives it would be rad. Do I kill this easy to kill guy, or is that what they want me to do?

As a closed packet campaign it would be even better. After your first loss because you engaged a unit in melee and didn't roll more 3s than 2s you'd second guess every decision you could possibly make.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ilor posted:

All this alien talk makes me wish that poo poo like elves and dwarves in fantasy settings were actually depicted as more alien (i.e. not just tall humans with pointy ears or short humans with beards). Immortality (or even just a very long life-span) should radically change your approach to problem-solving, for instance.

They sort of have a bash at this in some settings. Arcanum did okay with it (the CRPG) where the attitudes of Dwarfs to the idea of an industrial revolution was different because if in 200 years the world is polluted they'd be around to see it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah this sounds like a blast

*Player 1 deploys his forces*
"Hey where's your army"
*Player 2 has an empty table*
"Low orbit, bombing your army"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

:chloe:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Skeletons aren't aliens, they're inside us all close to our hearts.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
They always have your back.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Skeletons aren't aliens, they're inside us all close to our hearts.

Aliens are real and good and cool

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
What if aliens have skeletons on the outside and flesh on the inside? Wouldnt that be weird???

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bistromatic posted:

What if aliens have skeletons on the outside and flesh on the inside? Wouldnt that be weird???

whoa

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Babylon 5 had to drop the giant puppet bug mantis crime lord after season 1 because it looked terrible and was a fortune to film.

Which is ironic because mafia mantis' most memorable line was 'Expensssiveee...'

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Credit where it's due, these are some kicking rad skeletons and I want them.

They're from the upcoming Warhammer Underworlds game which is supposed to be some kind of compact and competitively balanced board game / skirmish game. I am ... a bit excited????

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ilor posted:

I always thought immortality explained why elves are always really into trees and harmony with nature and stuff, at least.

Ashcans posted:

I always thought transplants could be seriously weird to aliens - they're weird enough to many people after all.

'Oh well that guy wasn't going to make it, so before he really croaked we took a bunch of organs, skin, and patched up several other people. Heart is good as new!'

It really should be since low genetic diversity is why transplantation is relatively easy in humans :eng101:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 13, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Taear posted:

Fantasy Flight has released a painting guide for the skeletons in Runewars.
I feel like if that was GW it'd cost £15.

Also army three has been actually officially announced, which is the Latari Elves. I'm sure the Demons will be announced next week. It's a shame they're not all coming out at the same time though.

I got a set of Runewars for free at Adepticon and immediately sold it. The giant chunky movement trays and pile of rulers and stat cards behind every unit look kind of terrible, to be honest. I did not, however, realize that the models were on individual round bases. I thought they were attached to the bases in a KoW fashion.

And yeah, that painting guide would not have been free were it from GW.

Der Shovel posted:

They're from the upcoming Warhammer Underworlds game which is supposed to be some kind of compact and competitively balanced board game / skirmish game. I am ... a bit excited????
Yeah, those are definitely some kickass skellies. I would have thought they would have used regular skeleton sprues for this, rather than new sculpts. Sadly, it will probably be like $50 for a box of like 8.

EDIT: Also, I loving hate calling skeletons "deathrattles." :inchoate rage:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 13, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

dang these some good skellies

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NTRabbit posted:

This checks out OP

I got the LOGH mod for Stellaris. :peanut:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

dang these some good skellies

Holy poo poo Moola. :siren: GIVE GW MONEY?! :siren:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Runewars might be good but i suspect if it fails itll be because hardcore minis guys will thumb their nose at it the way they do x-wing and it being too expensive for other kinds of players.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Der Shovel posted:

I was going to ask if there were going to be other factions but why would you even consider playing them

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I got a set of Runewars for free at Adepticon and immediately sold it. The giant chunky movement trays and pile of rulers and stat cards behind every unit look kind of terrible, to be honest. I did not, however, realize that the models were on individual round bases. I thought they were attached to the bases in a KoW fashion.

And yeah, that painting guide would not have been free were it from GW.

Yeah, those are definitely some kickass skellies. I would have thought they would have used regular skeleton sprues for this, rather than new sculpts. Sadly, it will probably be like $50 for a box of like 8.

EDIT: Also, I loving hate calling skeletons "deathrattles." :inchoate rage:
i am gonna buy the hell out of those skellies whatever they cost so I hope they come as part of a retarded boxed game people buy for one part of and flog the rest. That'snot too much to ask from GW right?

And deathrattle is a faction name, skeletons are still called skeletons dude.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Like elves and dwarves are still elves and dwarves and not Aelfs and Duardins/Fyreslayers, right? Oh, wait.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Runewars might be good but i suspect if it fails itll be because hardcore minis guys will thumb their nose at it the way they do x-wing and it being too expensive for other kinds of players.
It's also unpainted, which will turn a whole lot of people off who are used to the pre-paints in X-Wing.

Saint Drogo posted:

i am gonna buy the hell out of those skellies whatever they cost so I hope they come as part of a retarded boxed game people buy for one part of and flog the rest. That'snot too much to ask from GW right?

And deathrattle is a faction name, skeletons are still called skeletons dude.

I'm thinking that they will be available as some sort of a faction box, rather than being in the main set. As far as I know, the Shadespire box will only have Stormcasts and the Chaos guys.

And you are correct about the nomenclature. I have seen individual skeletons referred to as "Deathrattlers" though, and the faction name is still loving stupid.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I got to try it out last weekend and it was great. However, it really is too "gamey" for grognards and too deep into the rabbit hole for people who'd otherwise be drawn to stuff like x-wing. If it fails, it'll fail like D&D 4e because of that. I'm planning to split the starter with a friend and use our other fantasy stuff for the rest like people do for KOW. You'd need to write down your dials for everything else but that's not bad for a casual game.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TKIY posted:

Holy poo poo Moola. :siren: GIVE GW MONEY?! :siren:

DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY

YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!