Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

Sulu's first name is literally in the first line of dialogue in The Undiscovered Country.

It is not in TOS at all, however -- not even in the writer's bible. It was invented for a licensed novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Says the guy named Nessus. But, on the other hand, I agree. I keep thinking now and then, why hasn't anyone ever made a Ringworld/Known Space movie or show?

But on the gripping hand, I'd rather see some of his other works translated first.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MikeJF posted:

If we ever get a new feature series that revisits the Borg, I really want to see a Colony Scoop.

Bonus points if it's all from the POV of the colonists.

Oh god yes. The shot of the giant hole where the New Providence colony was at the beginning of BoBW is one of my favourite matte paintings/background extensions. It has a wonderful sense of scale.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tunicate posted:

Who was it who wanted to do the Kzinti wars?

Me !

You can start off with some really classic Poul Anderson stuff. I don't know if I'd have rather had more Polesotechnic League material or what he did for MKW, but I really like what he did do in Known Space.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 12, 2017

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Do the Kiznti have some Trek specific back story somewhere? I know they were on a liscenced map or something one time but Known Space is way different from Trek history so how would they be anything more then bad cat aliens?

Ringworld is extremely 70s and would be hard to boil down into a movie, especially with out at least a little background set up of Known Space.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sunday at work posted:

Do the Kiznti have some Trek specific back story somewhere? I know they were on a liscenced map or something one time but Known Space is way different from Trek history so how would they be anything more then bad cat aliens?

Ringworld is extremely 70s and would be hard to boil down into a movie, especially with out at least a little background set up of Known Space.

They're in TAS

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

sunday at work posted:

They were in a TAS episode called "The Slaver Weapon" basically D.C. Fontana and Larry Niven were friends and she got him to do a find and replace on one of his existing stories to make it a Star Trek episode. It's a great episode, but introducing a never-before-mentioned Federation war with a bunch of cat dudes doesn't sit right with a certain set of fans who insist "canon" and "Star Trek" belong in the same sentence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the most prominent episodes of "The TAS colourist is colourblind and can't see the difference between pinks and greys and browns". Literally, that's not a joke, it shows up a bunch. The Klingons have pink uniforms, the tribbles are pink, so on so forth.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

MikeJF posted:

One of the most prominent episodes of "The TAS colourist is colourblind and can't see the difference between pinks and greys and browns". Literally, that's not a joke, it shows up a bunch. The Klingons have pink uniforms, the tribbles are pink, so on so forth.

Those space-cats are HUGE :okpos:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

So what kind of supernatural entity do you have to cut a deal with to get to be a colorblind colorist, anyway? Did he piss of a genie or was this one of those mysterious little shop that wasn't there before scenarios?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He also did He-Man.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Re: ENT season 3

Space 9/11 has happened, and Archer is now Space George Bush, has Space Navy SEALs on the ship, and is chasing Space Terrorists using Space Torture Enhanced Interrogation. Jesus Christ, Enterprise, if I wanted to watch BSG I'd just do it. gently caress.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Duckbag posted:

So what kind of supernatural entity do you have to cut a deal with to get to be a colorblind colorist, anyway? Did he piss of a genie or was this one of those mysterious little shop that wasn't there before scenarios?

Pretty much the entire budget of TAS went on Shatner & co; say what you will about the results, but you don't get better value for money than with a colour-blind colourist!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Dark One posted:

But on the gripping hand, I'd rather see some of his other works translated first.

I wouldn't be against that either, but Known Space is just swimming in my favorite sci-fi subgenre: arbitrarily advanced ancient alien artifacts. I do think the Moties would translate well enough into Trek with a slightly different technobabble reason they couldn't use warp travel to leave their own system.

sunday at work posted:

Do the Kiznti have some Trek specific back story somewhere? I know they were on a liscenced map or something one time but Known Space is way different from Trek history so howk would they be anything more then bad cat aliens?

Do it JMS-style where you start a TV show out as just adventures in Known Space, and then drop the Ringworld in season 2 or something.

I don't even care if it's like Once Upon A Time levels of budget TV cgi, that's good enough to pass for me now.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

I have heard this many times before, but I still don't understand something...

Why didn't anyone tell him he was loving up the colors? I mean, surely someone had to have noticed early in production.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
According to Memory Alpha, it was Hal Sutherland who was the director of the first season. It says the art department corrected some of the issues but not all of them. I don't understand how that would even happen. Was he just going to the artists and saying "I want this color" and then no one mentions he pointed at pink?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cojawfee posted:

According to Memory Alpha, it was Hal Sutherland who was the director of the first season. It says the art department corrected some of the issues but not all of them. I don't understand how that would even happen. Was he just going to the artists and saying "I want this color" and then no one mentions he pointed at pink?

That amount of not giving a gently caress sounds about right for a 70's cartoon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pakled posted:

That amount of not giving a gently caress sounds about right for a 70's cartoon.

Particularly a Filmation cartoon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
See also: Doohan voicing every alien

It's a miracle TAS wasn't just Gene and DC Fontana doodling stick figures and thought bubbles for 24 minutes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pakled posted:

they were probably all high all the time anyway

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

vermin posted:

Those space-cats are HUGE :okpos:
Yeah, the Kzin are supposed to be all seven-footers and up, which admittedly is probably one of the other challenges of using them on live TV. In animation it's less difficult

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Railing Kill posted:

Re: ENT season 3

Space 9/11 has happened, and Archer is now Space George Bush, has Space Navy SEALs on the ship, and is chasing Space Terrorists using Space Torture Enhanced Interrogation. Jesus Christ, Enterprise, if I wanted to watch BSG I'd just do it. gently caress.
Still ridiculous that they decide to launch their test weapon on the actual target instead of, you know, something closer and one that won't give away their plans. Even worse, we find out later that they were already doing tests of the weapon on moons.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Still ridiculous that they decide to launch their test weapon on the actual target instead of, you know, something closer and one that won't give away their plans. Even worse, we find out later that they were already doing tests of the weapon on moons.

Hahaha. I hadn't even thought of that. I as too busy thinking...

..."They remixed the theme song, and it is somehow worse than before."

..."Why is T'Pol's hair sandy brown now? Does The Expanse gently caress with Vulcan hair follicles for some reason?"

..."Whatever was recording that Vulcan ship's impression of the Event Horizon sure did do a lot of editing for a shipboard CCTV."

..."Trip's actor is trying way too hard to be angsty about his sister dying. I liked him better when he was the fun cool party guy."

..."Phlox seems hell-bent on getting T'Pol and Trip to bone. Not sure why. Maybe everyone else on the ship are like pets to him?"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

Hahaha. I hadn't even thought of that. I as too busy thinking...

..."Phlox seems hell-bent on getting T'Pol and Trip to bone. Not sure why. Maybe everyone else on the ship are like pets to him?"

Basically. All their weird morals are very quaint and he wants to mess with them for science.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's something very Robert California about Phlox.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

Yeah, the Kzin are supposed to be all seven-footers and up, which admittedly is probably one of the other challenges of using them on live TV. In animation it's less difficult

I don't know what vermin meant but it looks like they took a stock arctic mountain background and just put the Kzinti behind it to turn it into a foreground, which makes them look like Shadow of the Colossus sized.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

FlamingLiberal posted:

You can't seriously be blaming them for blowing up Florida the first chance they got.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even future Florida is still Flordia.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Now I'm going to mentally replace any mention of Trip with Florida Man.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So, galaxy's child. That's uh... That's a giant space vagina right?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Kingtheninja posted:

So, galaxy's child. That's uh... That's a giant space vagina right?

Grizzled TOS red shirt veteran in a rocking chair refilling his corncob pipe
"...yessr...that's a space vagina...I seen one before...V'ger incident...2271."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

There's something very Robert California about Phlox.

I'm pretty sure Robert California was a Q

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

vermin posted:

"Guinan you could have saved billions of lives. Why didn't you tell anyone?"
"You didn't ask."

Look, she never claimed to be from a race of talkers.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
e: ^^^roffle

FlamingLiberal posted:

I... can't believe I never caught that. Also, what moons? Satellites in our own solar system? Please say no.

God dammit. You've destroyed my ability to appreciate the Xindi arc for what it is (which, granted, was perilously tenuous at best).

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 13, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh thanks, Thinkgeek. No, I'm good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's no ST6 Collector's Edition Blanket.

Which existed as a piece of merchandise entirely because the director wanted one for himself.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Orv posted:

Basically. All their weird morals are very quaint and he wants to mess with them for science.

As long as someone derails the Archer/T'Pol awkward, forced sexual tension, I'm good. If it takes an alien being a weirdly obtrusive matchmaker, I'll take it.

Evek posted:

Now I'm going to mentally replace any mention of Trip with Florida Man.

"Florida Man is impregnated during first contact with an alien species."

"Florida Man nearly dies in a desert after complaining incessantly about deserts."

"Florida Man is left tied up and naked in a wine cellar after trying to seduce terrorists."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
On my first full run-through of TOS,
I'm almost done with season 2 (just the stealth pilot "Assignment: Earth" is left). I gotta say, the second half of this season kinda falls off a cliff. "Bread and Circuses" actually isn't a bad episode, but it has virtually the same exact plot as half the other episodes in this run. Out of the past 9 episodes, FOUR have dealt with a planet "remarkably like Earth" where the civilization developed in a way that explicitly parallels a certain period in Earth's history. ("A Private Little War" almost counts as a fifth, but it's a little more vague in that they resemble prehistoric civilization more than anything else.) And 3 of these 4 episodes involve a Starfleet captain who beamed down to the planet and influenced their development somehow. Watching these episodes so close to each other is kind of exhausting. Whatever you can say about the other shows, I don't think any of them had a run of episodes quite as repetitive as this. (Even worse, one of the episodes that didn't follow this formula instead followed the "Kirk talks a computer to death" formula.)

"Its five-year mission: to seek out civilizations that look exactly like Earth. To boldly check up on guys who went there before."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

e: ^^^roffle

I... can't believe I never caught that. Also, what moons? Satellites in our own solar system? Please say no.

God dammit. You've destroyed my ability to appreciate the Xindi arc for what it is (which, granted, was perilously tenuous at best).
Towards the end of that arc when they find the weapon we are shown the Xindi testing it on a moon

Honestly, for its problems, I would still rewatch that before seasons 1-2. At least it felt like they were trying to shake things up. It didn't all work, but I give them credit for the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

The_Doctor posted:

Oh thanks, Thinkgeek. No, I'm good.

Wow, even my pillows outrank me.