Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

But in Persona 5, at least so far, all the threats you're stopping are believable, real-world threats. You're stopping people who prey on people they have power over in very real, very human ways. Sure, you're stopping them by otherworldly, abstract means, but the threat you're stopping is extremely grounded every time. And while there's an obvious "supernatural evil" thread that I'm sure will eventually be the climactic conflict, it's always there and slowly escalating, even if your party isn't fully aware of it yet.

It feels like, at long last, a perfect marriage of the the Persona 2-era titles and the more story-focused, social link systems of the P3-forward-era titles. Persona 2 has otherworldly threats and contemporary ones, with you within one game taking out scam artists peddling bad fortunes, serial killers, Chinese Triad toughs, and then actual Nazis with Mecha Armor, while helping your party members resolve their different respective emotional hangups about their dads.

Persona 2 didn't shy away from having your characters kill or be responsible for the deaths of human villains either. You weren't exactly TRYING to do it, but in Persona 2 the first boss is your principal whom I'm pretty sure is dead after the boss fight with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Early Palace 4

So I'm going up against Wikileaks? :

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

Early Palace 4

So I'm going up against Wikileaks? :

Based on the dialogue I think they plan on doing something actually damaging instead of just casual data leaks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

but in Persona 2 the first boss is your principal whom I'm pretty sure is dead after the boss fight with him.
you actually get a choice on if he lives or dies using the rumor system. if he lives he has a minor scene at the end where he saves some students when the nazis start invading, but if he dies then, uh, he dies.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

ive heard in japan its illegal to have a real person in your game without their permission unless they're so ancient that nobody cares. even if you made it, like, ahinzo sbe, mrime-pinister of pajan it'd still count. i don't actually know if that's true, though, those kinds of warnings might just be a cultural thing.
It's definitely not just a Japanese thing, but they're usually in the credits, rather than being presented upfront.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

you actually get a choice on if he lives or dies using the rumor system. if he lives he has a minor scene at the end where he saves some students when the nazis start invading, but if he dies then, uh, he dies.

Hell yeah.

Persona 2 is great. Innocent Sin is really good and I feel like Yusuke is definitely meant to be a nod to Jin from that game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hell yeah.

Persona 2 is great. Innocent Sin is really good and I feel like Yusuke is definitely meant to be a nod to Jin from that game.

They never brought the PSP version of Eternal Punishment to the west, did they? I wouldn't mind finally playing Innocent Sin and then replaying Eternal Punishment sometime.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, if it wasn't pure chance it'd be a beautiful irony that the PS1 version of Innocent Sin wasn't released in Engish but Eternal Punishment was and vice-versa for the PSP.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

They never brought the PSP version of Eternal Punishment to the west, did they? I wouldn't mind finally playing Innocent Sin and then replaying Eternal Punishment sometime.

I cling to my PSX-original Eternal Punishment like a precious heirloom. Of course, I played Innocent Sin in the days when you had to use fan translations...

I have never, in fact, beat Eternal Punishment though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly this game feels like it has lot of nods/allusions to p2. like ann is sort of like lisa, in that they're both whitey and feel out of place because of it.

Shame there's no Eikichi reference though, that dude is unbeat when it comes to persona party members.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

honestly this game feels like it has lot of nods/allusions to p2. like ann is sort of like lisa, in that they're both whitey and feel out of place because of it.

Shame there's no Eikichi reference though, that dude is unbeat when it comes to persona party members.

Futaba is great, but she's no Baofu.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fortune lady can boost social stats? This doesn't sound abusable at all...

fake e: but no really, I appreciate the function immensely

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The boost is fairly minor, I've used Chihaya constantly while doing the 100% guide and I've only had about 5 free time slots compared to the guide

1 extra note for whatever activity I think, but I don't think you actually see it when you do gain notes

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Fortune lady can boost social stats? This doesn't sound abusable at all...

fake e: but no really, I appreciate the function immensely

I mean, for 5000 yen she'll let you get one extra note for a single stat. Not huge but it is a big help.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Fortune boosts are good, real good. I got all social links maxed without following some dumb guide and had pretty much the whole month of December to date two different ladies every day.

and this was with playing pretty sub optimally for the first two months/palaces

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 13, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fortune feels like a major stress-reducing mechanic and I welcome it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't know how many people knew this (I never read it in this thread), but every Sunday the juice bar in the Underground Tunnel also sells a 5000-yen drink that gives a point to a random stat.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
SP adhesives are worth it? How many should i buy?

I have enough to buy 2 level 1 adhesives?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

SP Adhesive 3s are game changers. Just get one for your MC to begin with, but you can easily afford one for each of your active 4 in time, but don't buy them until they're half off at 50k each.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

I don't know how many people knew this (I never read it in this thread), but every Sunday the juice bar in the Underground Tunnel also sells a 5000-yen drink that gives a point to a random stat.

Does it take time?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

SP Adhesive 3s are game changers. Just get one for your MC to begin with, but you can easily afford one for each of your active 4 in time, but don't buy them until they're half off at 50k each.

I need to further the death social link to get the discount?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Kurtofan posted:

Get the doc to level 7, she gives you a flat 50% discount. But if you're going into a dungeon RIGHT NOW, buy two of the cheapos and throw them around.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I need to further the death social link to get the discount?

Rank 7 is where everything becomes half-off. With a little planning you can hit that point before entering the 2nd Palace.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the confuse trick plus sun negotiations is so broken that my entire team has sp adhesive 3 including my navigator because i can

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Does it take time?

No, and it's not a random stat. The drinks cycle through the stats so even if you have that stat maxed, buy the drink so it carries on.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Does it take time?

Nope, the 100% guide on Gamefaqs uses them every Sunday (but never Chihaya for some reason)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i really wish i had known about the fortune thing though because i basically ignored her and am now halfway thru december with several unfinished slinks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Rank 7 is where everything becomes half-off. With a little planning you can hit that point before entering the 2nd Palace.

With almost no planning I hit it before the 3rd Palace, for reference.

Lakbay posted:

Nope, the 100% guide on Gamefaqs uses them every Sunday (but never Chihaya for some reason)

Does Chihaya take time when she reads your fortune? I just met her so I haven't done that yet. (Obviously her confidant takes time)

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I'm a complete n00b to the Persona series and just completed the 2nd Palace, but I could tell I was definitely under leveled. My highest character was only 16 and supporting party was between 15-16 also. I haven't really encountered any issues up until the Madarame boss fight but holy poo poo I had to retry it something like 20 times before I got through it without him at some point just nailing everyones weakness in a row and killing my entire team. I looked up some tips and they all referenced moves people don't get until like level 18, how am I so far behind? The only time I feel like I might have "wasted' was right before exams when I spent a ton of time studying because I thought it was going to help somehow.

I've been fighting basically all the enemies in each palace as I go but haven't done any memento's besides the required one yet, is that maybe why? Also as a correlary, how can I get my level up higher by grinding etc. now without being totally hosed and weak for the rest of the game? It was insanely frustrating to beat that boss so I'm really hoping I can take care of something in the short term to help me get more XP but now that the palace is closed I'm not sure where I can even fight.

Am I just loving something up completely? Admittedly I've glanced at a few day by day guides and my confidants are all WAY lower than they could be but I obviously don't expect to get 100% really.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

With almost no planning I hit it before the 3rd Palace, for reference.

Does Chihaya take time when she reads your fortune? I just met her so I haven't done that yet. (Obviously her confidant takes time)

No that's why she's so drat useful

You can get +1 to a social stat and +1 to a confidant (5k each) everytime she's available

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I love how Persona takes the grandiose nature of gods and demons, and reduces them to Pokemon that you rub together to make a brand new Pokemon.
Smash the Norse goddess of winter against one of the Buddhist Four Heavenly Kings to make a talking moth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scorps posted:

I'm a complete n00b to the Persona series and just completed the 2nd Palace, but I could tell I was definitely under leveled. My highest character was only 16 and supporting party was between 15-16 also. I haven't really encountered any issues up until the Madarame boss fight but holy poo poo I had to retry it something like 20 times before I got through it without him at some point just nailing everyones weakness in a row and killing my entire team. I looked up some tips and they all referenced moves people don't get until like level 18, how am I so far behind? The only time I feel like I might have "wasted' was right before exams when I spent a ton of time studying because I thought it was going to help somehow.

do mementos between palaces, make sure you aren't negotiating with every single enemy because actually killing them gives more exp than talking them into stuff, do mishima's s. link because he spits out exp boosts

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Who is Sun? How do I know if I have all social links available by the end of Palace 4?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

No that's why she's so drat useful

You can get +1 to a social stat and +1 to a confidant (5k each) everytime she's available

:eyepop: Hell yeah

I'm gonna need to get some money soon. Ranking up Kawakami's confidant a few times and buying an SP Adhesive made me go broke.

Guess I should finally get around to that confuse trick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Who is Sun? How do I know if I have all social links available by the end of Palace 4?
check the op, check the op

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Sun is the politician and by definition you will not have access to every social link until you have a full party.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Endorph posted:

do mementos between palaces, make sure you aren't negotiating with every single enemy because actually killing them gives more exp than talking them into stuff, do mishima's s. link because he spits out exp boosts

Thanks, I am thinking it's because I spent all my free time before sending the card in Palace 2 doing confidant stuff and getting Sun instead of completing the mementos. Hopefully I can just grind some out now and catch back up, I am close to being able to get an adhesive too so ideally I can just spend a good amount of time in Palace 3 grinding on easier enemies or something and get caught up. I am just really scared of being perpetually 5 levels behind and constantly having to reset big fights because my team was just weak enough to get 1 shot.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Just play on Easy or Safe

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scorps posted:

Thanks, I am thinking it's because I spent all my free time before sending the card in Palace 2 doing confidant stuff and getting Sun instead of completing the mementos. Hopefully I can just grind some out now and catch back up, I am close to being able to get an adhesive too so hopefully I can just spend a good amount of time in Palace 3 grinding on easier enemies or something and get caught up. I am just really scared of being perpetually 5 levels behind and constantly having to reset big fights because my team was just weak enough to get 1 shot.

Be sure to take advantage of buffs and debuffs. They're all extremely potent, they all stack, and nothing in the game is immune to them. A tough enemy hit with Tarunda and Sukunda is now a tough enemy that attacks for half damage and whiffs half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All the slinks possible by P4, I mean. I'll read the OP :mad: