Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sea Sponge Run posted:

For being an abusive boyfriend, he sure has a lot of Dough

'i wasted all my money on gambling, that's why i lash out at my girlfriend. gambling is my code word for throwing money at teenagers.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

(Palace 7 spoilers) Akechi... :smith:

I know in this thread there's a lot of what I assume is partially tongue-in-cheek stuff from people still early in the game about how Goro is the coolest and greatest character even though he doesn't do anything until the final third, but seriously over like a period of 30 minutes or however long those bossfights and scenes take he becomes legitimately one of the best characters in the game. RIP you crazy sad man.

Shido on the other hand is merely a solid villain rather than a great one. I kinda wonder if it would've been better to have Goro as the final boss of the ship, though an incredibly buff politician is always a great fight.Also it had Rivers in the Desert playing, which y'know instantly makes it a top tier boss fight.

Got mixed feelings about dungeon 7 as a whole though. I quite liked the plot and everything surrounding it but i'm not a big fan of the actual dungeon at all. The main gimmick is bad and most areas look exactly the same. It wasn't super fun to play through. It did make an effort to give every character some decent screentime and a scene focused on them even if a couple basically end up as just gags. Ryuji especially gets a very cool scene. Though in general he has a bit of a solid arc going through the last couple dungeons. I'm proud of the dude.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lakbay posted:

It is but I'm used to floors on floor 1 being 1XX, floor 2 being 2XX, etc everywhere I've been
Oh, right. That's certainly more elegant. Obviously, the only solution is to put every classroom on the same-numbered floor. I concede that this means Japanese primary schools would need six floors.

True story: the first experience of international culture clash that I can remember is asking my mum why the kids on the Simpsons don't wear school uniforms.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

P4 was a episodic Scooby Doo show down to Adachi saying "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids and that stupid bear" after each dungeon. Naoto then shows up and then the game finally decides to catch Adachi and then you fight Izanami because you shook hands and she got offended

Yeah, I think Persona 4's pacing is definitely better than Persona 3's, but it still has a moment where it's like, "Okay, enough loving around" and hits the gas.

So far it seems like Persona 5 is developing a bit more steadily, but I'm just at the start of the third Palace now (and also now I see why everyone loves Makoto so much, she owns). It seems like it's tipping its hand a bit more than Persona 3/4 did, showing us more scenes with apparent villains, and making sure we never forget about the psychotic breaks people are having.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 13, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man the plot starts taking a turn right in Palace 4 when they start to bring up cognitive psience and it just starts speeding away after Palace 5. Watching the Phan-site meter steadily drop by the day really hit home.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh, I didn't realize NG+ lets you keep all your equipment from the last playthrough. Well then, let me just put on this Over Guard and SP Adhesive 3 in the first Palace, no big deal. :getin:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm having a lot more fun playing this blind than I did with persona 3 and 4 that I used guides for.

Are the DLC persona decent?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Norns posted:

I fused Izanagi Picaro at level 23 (or just grabbed him from the compendium, I forget which) and used him for the rest of the game. He's got very solid resistances and Cross Slash is a pretty good physical skill even in the late game.

I considered fusing him several times (might have done so once but got him back afterwards), but the stuff I would've gotten from those fusions would've been worse than he is.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 13, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

I'm having a lot more fun playing this blind than I did with persona 3 and 4 that I used guides for.

I got Izanagi with my digital pre-order and the not Picaro version is a beast. I think the Picaro version is straight up better than it too because it has better resists. (Unsure, I use Izanagi because it looks better than Picaro).

It learns Growth 3 too so it's going to keep its level within touching distance of being relevant so if you want to keep it, it'll stay relevant.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You can also itemize him for Growth 3 skill cards!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Y'know, it's an old game but maybe don't spoil the biggest plot twist of the previous Persona game and thus ruining it for any series newcomers who may be in this thread?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

:laffo: what the gently caress is that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That's impressive

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Anime Is Real
-> Anime Is Not Real

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Game asks me "Do you want to play video game?"

I tell game "no."

Game kicks me back to title screen.

1/5

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Anime Is Real
-> Anime Is Not Real

You are a monster if you choose that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An interesting hill to die on: a crusade against undisclosed joke disclaimers.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Anime is real. The Persona girls are real. Makoto is real, and strong, and she's my friend.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
*Atlus death squad kicks down my door*

YOU AGREED THEY WERE ALL FICTION

FUTHERMORE YOU TOOK A SCREENSHOT PAST JULY 7TH

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I boot Persona 5 up and before I even get to the title screen it tells me to "press start". What? That is absolute nonsense. Why didn't the box have this disclaimer and requirement on it when I purchased it? Why wasn't there some sort of warning that I had to agree to this unheard of requirement before I could play the game?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
When will we get Persona 5 Arena?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Game asks me "Do you want to play video game?"

I tell game "no."

Game kicks me back to title screen.

1/5

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

*Atlus death squad kicks down my door*

YOU AGREED THEY WERE ALL FICTION

FUTHERMORE YOU TOOK A SCREENSHOT PAST JULY 7TH
ive heard in japan its illegal to have a real person in your game without their permission unless they're so ancient that nobody cares. even if you made it, like, ahinzo sbe, mrime-pinister of pajan it'd still count. i don't actually know if that's true, though, those kinds of warnings might just be a cultural thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

When will we get Persona 5 Arena?

hopefully soon, i want the p5 cast to call the p4 kids narcs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You could not have committed this many crimes without knowledge of copyright law. Someone must have helped you! Am I wrong?!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do I apply to work at the beef bowl shop? I found the place, it's night but I don't see a prompt to start working there.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

hopefully soon, i want the p5 cast to call the p4 kids narcs

It would be such a weird meeting.

God if they do a triple cross-over I think the level of antics would just be too high. Persona Q was pretty great in terms of shennigans, particularly with how the two casts played off each other. I'd probably shell out for a sequel that created a three-way crossover, particularly if they used the adult versions of the P3 cast that you see in Arena.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I appreciate about Persona 5's story is how it makes the stakes very real much earlier than either 3 or 4 did.

In Persona 3, the threat stays pretty abstract until the very end. You're aware of impending doom, but it's otherworldly, it's distant, and it spends most of the game being faceless. In Persona 4, the stakes stay comparatively small for the majority of the game--saving one person at a time--which, while perfectly fine, makes the eventual (rather sudden) ramp-up to a wider threat seem a little out-of-place. Plus, you're saving people from a death that comes from a pretty abstract, once again otherworldly source.

But in Persona 5, at least so far, all the threats you're stopping are believable, real-world threats. You're stopping people who prey on people they have power over in very real, very human ways. Sure, you're stopping them by otherworldly, abstract means, but the threat you're stopping is extremely grounded every time. And while there's an obvious "supernatural evil" thread that I'm sure will eventually be the climactic conflict, it's always there and slowly escalating, even if your party isn't fully aware of it yet.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

God if they do a triple cross-over I think the level of antics would just be too high. Persona Q was pretty great in terms of shennigans, particularly with how the two casts played off each other. I'd probably shell out for a sequel that created a three-way crossover, particularly if they used the adult versions of the P3 cast that you see in Arena.

Would we get to see adult versions of the Persona 4 cast, too?

Oh god, could Teddie grow up? What would that look like?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Endorph posted:

ive heard in japan its illegal to have a real person in your game without their permission unless they're so ancient that nobody cares. even if you made it, like, ahinzo sbe, mrime-pinister of pajan it'd still count. i don't actually know if that's true, though, those kinds of warnings might just be a cultural thing.

The inability to just go "no this is Herlock Sholmes, totally different" would explain why most MegaTen games start with it, except the really old ones and they're the ones that just so happen to also have Stephen Hawking in them without even a lazy name change or anything. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

Oh god, could Teddie grow up?
He's climbing the stairway to maturity :smugteddie:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

How do I apply to work at the beef bowl shop? I found the place, it's night but I don't see a prompt to start working there.

You have to read a job magazine and call them. They're on the magazine stands in the Underground Walkway in Shibuya. This takes no time so you should be able to just go do it and immediately start to work.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I went through almost the entire game without touching the Emperor confidant simply because I couldn't find him. Then I realized you can use your detective vision in the city and the square button the map to show where and who are available.

Does the Sun guy completely disappear after a certain date? I'm at 11/11 and I haven't seen him available for about a week. I'm stuck at rank 9.

Sun and Temperance are the two bonds that are time limited. Sun shouldn't have disappeared yet at that point but he will soon.

Also people earlier in the thread were dissing Ann saying they've kept her in the bench for most the game which is surreal to me. She would've earned a permanent spot in the team just by having the all powerful attack down but she's also the only party member with concentrate. It's easy to get amp on personas but not as easy to fuse boost along with amp on end game personas unless you've been planning on it from the start and Ann with the boost, amp and concentrate just makes things melt. My Ann is built with
Agi
Heavy fire aoe
Severe fire
Concentrate
Attack down aoe
Fire boost
Fire amp
Evade ice

My endgame team is basically Ann, Ryuji and Makoto. I wish I could run Haru but she is really lacking at the end. She doesn't get the severe psi skill so her psi falls off. Her best build is a gun build with both gun passives but unlike Ryuji and Yusuke she has much lower hp and unlike male armors the best female armor gives +5 mag instead of str. Reflect skills like most healing skills are completely useless because you can buy a cheap item to replicate the same effect and money shouldn't be a problem by the end.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Isn't Jojo's like, completely based on taking musician's names and music without their permission though?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Persona Q was really bad about making some characters one personality trait and nothing else though. Like Akihito being the workout guy

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Persona Q was really bad about making some characters one personality trait and nothing else though. Like Akihito being the workout guy

Some, nothing. It's all characters, even the ones that were original characters for Persona Q!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You're right, the OC character for Q was FOOD and nothing else

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

with the boost, amp and concentrate just makes things melt.

I don't have anything with them to test yet, but do Boost and Amp even stack here normally? Cripple lists its functions as being Gun Amp but it can stack; if they stack by default that doesn't need to be there. I wouldn't be surprised if they do, mind, but that specificity makes me doubt it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up getting bored with Persona Q I think like midway through the third dungeon or so. I'm not too sure why. I couldn't really pinpoint why it didn't work for me in comparison with the Etrian Odyssey games.

Maybe it's because I used Naoto and so every random battle turned into "just let Naoto Mahama/Mamudo them to death."

Dragonatrix posted:

I don't have anything with them to test yet, but do Boost and Amp even stack here normally? Cripple lists its functions as being Gun Amp but it can stack; if they stack by default that doesn't need to be there. I wouldn't be surprised if they do, mind, but that specificity makes me doubt it.

They usually stack in other SMT/Persona games, I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
All the boosters stack with each other and with the accessory that boosts too