Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Hulkenberg parachuted into a team that was absolutely going to win Le Mans barring some freak accident so to act like he accomplished some mammoth task winning it is just insane.

Wait, you mean Hulkenberg isn't the driving God that Brundle constantly fellates him for being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont remember Niko Hulkenberg and i know that he is driving in F1 this year.

Renault maybe?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's play a game. Who has more points? Current Renault driver Nico Hulkenberg or former Renault, now Haas driver Kevin Magnussen?

K-Mag, 4-0

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Human Grand Prix posted:

Name another team that has been as consistently good as they have. I expect I'll be waiting here a long time.

In all seriousness, they are certainly the most prolific. At 933 races entered, They're over 100 more than McLaren, almost 300 more than Williams, and teams like Sauber, Brabham, Lotus, and Tyrell are all in the 400's. Having that much of a presence means they're likely to have a good chunk of successful results in the series. I can see the attraction to a team with that much history, and I can't deny that they really are a big part of F1. I'm sure someone somewhere has modeled an overall "points per season" success list, which would be skewed, but interesting to see who is best in that sense, and in overall history regardless of years participating.

But, current Ferrari has been a bit of a mess, although they're looking very good this year. Every team has up and down swings, it's just fun to point and laugh when they do things like "all Italian engineers" or make comically bad strategy calls. As it is for Red Bull. Or *sniff* McLaren. :saddowns: The more successful a team is, the more likely someone is going to enjoy watching them struggle.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Not surprised Are Checho has a Cool And Good opinion on the matter but LOL @ all these buttsalt drivers and:

wicka posted:

Weird to see a bunch of drivers flat out admitting they're not nearly as good as Alonso.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 13, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

CratSock posted:

In all seriousness, they are certainly the most prolific. At 933 races entered, They're over 100 more than McLaren, almost 300 more than Williams, and teams like Sauber, Brabham, Lotus, and Tyrell are all in the 400's. Having that much of a presence means they're likely to have a good chunk of successful results in the series. I can see the attraction to a team with that much history, and I can't deny that they really are a big part of F1. I'm sure someone somewhere has modeled an overall "points per season" success list, which would be skewed, but interesting to see who is best in that sense, and in overall history regardless of years participating.

But, current Ferrari has been a bit of a mess, although they're looking very good this year. Every team has up and down swings, it's just fun to point and laugh when they do things like "all Italian engineers" or make comically bad strategy calls. As it is for Red Bull. Or *sniff* McLaren. :saddowns: The more successful a team is, the more likely someone is going to enjoy watching them struggle.

Brawn GP: 100% WDC and WCC record

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

:rip: Myrddin_Emrys. The only authentic poster in this thread.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

Brawn GP: 100% WDC and WCC record

I knew there would be at least one team to smash the Scud!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

Are we forgetting the near decade of Honda that their entry came from in which they were aggressively terrible 70% of the time?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

CratSock posted:

Also statistically probably Mclaren and Mercedes. But hey, Ferrari sure have been around for a while. Admirable

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

just lol at those of you taking track day bro's years-long gimmick posting seriously

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The only gimmick track day bro has is thinking max is good max because it's quite obvious how mediocre he is.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

AMuS is saying Ferrari is pulling something with the rear bargeboards. There's noticeable bulges in them on both sides and Ferrari had a bunch of temp sensors around that area in testing. Also that they might be pulling some trick with the rear wing since it has two center struts while everyone else has one and it aerodynamically doesn't make sense to go with two. Exciting times.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I'm liking the variety of new thread titles.

10/10 - would vote for our resident mod again

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GramCracker posted:

10/10 - would vote for our resident mod again

Stop sucking up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

Stop sucking up.

Be nice, gret.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gret posted:

Stop sucking up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GramCracker posted:

I don't think it's bad enough personally. It should have something shameful or offensive in it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bahrain more like BORING AM I RITE

Bahrain: Come for the racing, stay for the human rights violations

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The gimmick name changes are worse than the people dissing Scuderia Ferrari IMO.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Agreed, they're bad, OP.

Unlike the Scud, who own.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Agreed, they're bad, OP.

You should post more.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Agreed, they're bad, OP.

Make this man the mod.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm really glad I didn't see this thread during the peak Schumacher years, the Ferrari banana riding would've been insufferable.

...or seeing the backlash to first Red Bull and now Mercedes, maaaaaybe not.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What the gently caress? All this hub bub about Alonso trying to kill himself in America in an ultimate protest against Trump completely blind sided me to there being a race this weekend

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

I'm really glad I didn't see this thread during the peak Schumacher years, the Ferrari banana riding would've been insufferable.

...or seeing the backlash to first Red Bull and now Mercedes, maaaaaybe not.

There wasn't a huge backlash against Mercedes, I think a large part of that was just letting their drivers race. Red Bull were (and still are) legitimately insufferable.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Hulkenberg parachuted into a team that was absolutely going to win Le Mans barring some freak accident so to act like he accomplished some mammoth task winning it is just insane.

24hr of Lemans is a Herculean driving effort, even if you're in the best car (because even the best car can break), even if you're very fit, and even if you're already a professional racing driver. F1 is not like endurance racing. The Hulk did a very good job. I'm not saying he carried the car to a victory it didn't deserve, but its a team sport and he acquitted himself well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think Mercedes has been treated fairly well by this thread actually. Aside from the British fans, you know the things that they say.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bah, rain. We'll race in the desert.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/852427001730404352

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So when his engine fails in indy, is Mclaren gonna buy him a motorcycle?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He already test rode a GP bike

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

He already test rode a GP bike

Followed Marc Marquez around on a bike, but was it an actual MotoGP bike or just a CBR with GP fairings?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I think Mercedes has been treated fairly well by this thread actually. Aside from the British fans, you know the things that they say.

I love Mercedes GP because it puts Toyota and Honda's F1 ventures into context.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

dreesemonkey posted:

<I don't know enough about Mclaren's organization french guy>

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
His name is Eric and he no longer gives a gently caress in press conferences.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

I love Mercedes GP because it puts Toyota and Honda's F1 ventures into context.

They realized its smart to trust the Brits to run the team while the Germans pay for it. Toyota and Honda, Japanese management meddled around a wee bit too much.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

CratSock posted:

I just hope he puts in enough practice to be competitive in the 500.
Nando will have access to the Honda or Dallara simulators, a private test day at IMS, and the normal "rookie orientation program" as part of the two weeks of practice leading into the race. Between that and all the assistance he's been offered by series drivers, I think he'll be in good shape come race day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That and the whole 30 years of being a race driver thing. If chuffing Max Chilton can get a Indicar in the points.... :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/button-confirmed-as-alonso-s-replacement-for-monaco-893551/

Monaco GP might actually be interesting this year, then.

• Locked thread