Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

blarzgh posted:

Found some individually plastic packaged salmon and tuna filets.

1) Can I just drop the Salmon in the puddle, or do I need to re-bag them into ziploc?

2) For the Tuna, I want to use them to make sashimi, but I shouldn't puddle them to thaw faster, right I should just let them sit in the fridge?

I thaw frozen stuff in the puddler all the time. Just set it to 39F and let the circulator speed the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What is the best way to ensure that 63 C eggs release from their shells?

I am planning on doing 63C eggs and hollandaise for easter, but have always had problems with the whites sticking to the shells in the past....

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

salmon you may want to brine first though for presentation purposes.

depending on how lightly you like to cook the salmon, brining can also be helpful to give it some firmness. I like the 115F salmon but occasionally it results in salmon goop if you don't brine it first.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
hmm... no skin on the cuts - was considering doing a quick sear, or maybe a broil when it came out. A brine sounds like it defeats the ease of fire-and-forget salmon sous vide.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

What is the best way to ensure that 63 C eggs release from their shells?

I am planning on doing 63C eggs and hollandaise for easter, but have always had problems with the whites sticking to the shells in the past....
boil them for <30s then iceshock pre-puddle is the way I heard of, should cook the exterior white enough to help separation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone done kenji's sous-vide boneless leg of lamb? I might want to do it for easter but I am afraid of it being :salt:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hopper posted:

Has anyone done kenji's sous-vide boneless leg of lamb? I might want to do it for easter but I am afraid of it being :salt:

If that's your concern... Add less salt? :confuoot:

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Salt is just for taste anyways. I don't like salty things, so every Kenji recipe I've used I've just ignored salt, maybe a light dusting at best.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I can tell if something's been salted for 6hrs or if it's just been salted pre-sear.

So.

There's that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How long can you hold 63C eggs? I will have people showing up to eat on Easter over a 5 hour window, and I just don't know if I can keep eggs for that long and still be nice...

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

How long can you hold 63C eggs? I will have people showing up to eat on Easter over a 5 hour window, and I just don't know if I can keep eggs for that long and still be nice...

You can pre cook them then cool em down and store in the fridge. Just pull them out of the fridge as soon as people arrive and plop them into an already pre heated bath. I think the re-heat time is 20min. That's enough time to say your hellos and get them a mimosa. Then you have your eggs ready.

I've cooked my eggs and heated them like this so I didn't have to do so much waiting when I was making Eggs Benni the next morning. They turn out fine.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ultimate Mango posted:

Based on Kenji's guide - http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

1. Not more than an hour at 63C (he shows 45 min, 1 hr, 1.5hrs, and 2 hrs, and what you want is probably at 1 hr); but
2. You can hold them indefinitely at 54C after first cooking them at 63C (or refrigerate, as noted).

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

blarzgh posted:

Found some individually plastic packaged salmon and tuna filets.

1) Can I just drop the Salmon in the puddle, or do I need to re-bag them into ziploc?

2) For the Tuna, I want to use them to make sashimi, but I shouldn't puddle them to thaw faster, right I should just let them sit in the fridge?

Is it sushi-grade tuna?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

Is it sushi-grade tuna?

Probably not...

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
👏 there 👏 is 👏 no 👏 such 👏 thing 👏 as 👏 sushi 👏 grade 👏 tuna 👏

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is there such a thing as sushi-grade anything?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

👏 there 👏 is 👏 no 👏 such 👏 thing 👏 as 👏 sushi 👏 grade 👏 tuna 👏

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Each individual filet of fish must be hand-certified by an ordained sushi master

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I either got trolled real good, or educated and re-educated in three posts.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

I either got trolled real good, or educated and re-educated in three posts.

quote:

Although stores use the label "sushi grade fish," there are no official standards for using this label. The only regulation is that parasitic fish, such as salmon, should be frozen to kill any parasites before being consumed raw. The best practice for this is flash freezing on the boat immediately after the fish is caught, which preserves freshness and texture.
http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-sushi-grade-fish-ingredient-intelligence-204696

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Either one was fine, really.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are there cheap bad cuts of steak that become surprisingly tasty if you sous vide? I've got a hankering for steak but I'm sick of breaking the bank.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Knifegrab posted:

Are there cheap bad cuts of steak that become surprisingly tasty if you sous vide? I've got a hankering for steak but I'm sick of breaking the bank.

Neigh.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Then scroll down and put it in context instead of chopping it off there?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

*not available in the US

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

For $6 I can get a 2lb chuck roast on sale, run it for 24 hours at 139 and get about 20oz of basically prime rib out the other side. Its fatty as gently caress, so you need to do some trimming when it comes out, but its a hell of a turnaround.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

blarzgh posted:

For $6 I can get a 2lb chuck roast on sale, run it for 24 hours at 139 and get about 20oz of basically prime rib out the other side. Its fatty as gently caress, so you need to do some trimming when it comes out, but its a hell of a turnaround.

I was going to say chuck as well. It's stupid cheap and comes out alright.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I wish chuck roast was that cheap here. Best I've seen is $3.50/lb and that was a buy one, get one (@ $7/lb) so you had to spend $30 and freeze it. Usually it's $5.50/lb.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wish I could get chuck at the grocery store, instead of having to go to Whole Foods and paying like $7/lb because the local butcher closed :mad:

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I live in Taiwan and I can't even get most regular cuts of meat. Also beef is 5x higher in price than pork.

You guys are lucky

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
God help me the day i move out of Texas and I lose access to cheap delicious beef.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For lamb shoulder chops do I just treat them like chuck and do a long cook (e.g 24 h @ 131F)?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lamb has a lot of fat and is tender. I don't think you need to cook it that long but I've never sv'd lamb.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

namaste faggots posted:

Lamb has a lot of fat and is tender. I don't think you need to cook it that long but I've never sv'd lamb.

I'm working under the assumption that it's really mutton because lamb in the US isn't necessarily lamb and that there will be a decent amount of connective tissue due to being from the shoulder.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

€50 discount on Anova devices
anova9-6saf4esc

Expires April 19

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

First time poaching eggs in the shell. I went for jammy yolks. Texture of the white and of the yolk were both excellent, but the white just slid off the yolk.

I did the chefsteps 147°F for 90 minutes. Does cooking that long mean jammy yolk but disconnected whites? Could it be my 1 week old eggs?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

kirtar posted:

For lamb shoulder chops do I just treat them like chuck and do a long cook (e.g 24 h @ 131F)?

I've done shoulder blade chops and the regular shoulder chops and they do benefit from a little ne'er than normal cook but 24 hours seems excessive. Lamb rib chops and loin chops are amazing sous vide but the shoulder chops are definitely tougher.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

First time poaching eggs in the shell. I went for jammy yolks. Texture of the white and of the yolk were both excellent, but the white just slid off the yolk.

I did the chefsteps 147°F for 90 minutes. Does cooking that long mean jammy yolk but disconnected whites? Could it be my 1 week old eggs?

That's about right for that temp. I only go about 50 minutes with mine though. A very quick boil before putting it in the puddle can help set up the whites a touch more.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

rockcity posted:

That's about right for that temp. I only go about 50 minutes with mine though. A very quick boil before putting it in the puddle can help set up the whites a touch more.

Thought about doing this, especially since I had boiling water for blanching the greens. I wanted to give the recipe-as-is a shot, though.

Chefsteps has the same description for the texture of the white at 60 minutes and 90 minutes but the yolk goes from runny to jammy. Ended up amazing but messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Thought about doing this, especially since I had boiling water for blanching the greens. I wanted to give the recipe-as-is a shot, though.

Chefsteps has the same description for the texture of the white at 60 minutes and 90 minutes but the yolk goes from runny to jammy. Ended up amazing but messy.

I'd try the quick boil and a higher temp for less time. 149 or 150 would probably give you a more spreadable yolk texture.