Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Oh good, another person with no fuckin clue how FPtP works

Yes, I know how FPtP works to create only two viable parties. But US history is littered with dead political parties who found themselves without a constituency when the political winds shifted. It wouldn't be terrible for the Democrats to be interred next to the Whigs so a vigorous worker's party could take their spot.

Also many states have been abandoned so thoroughly by the Dems that they are effectively a one party state. In those states nobody but the Republicans are politically relevant and everyone else, including the Dems, are a third party playing around in the kiddy pool. Why not vote third party then? Its just as effective as voting for the no-hoper Dems, except the Dems abandoned the state on purpose.

E: v
-( )O<
/\ /\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cause even if in some fever dream your dipshit third rate chucklefucks get some momentum going, they will get crushed by the two main parties. Or by one of the two main parties cause they don't have that kind of bankroll.

lest we forget

Not a Step posted:

Yes, I know how FPtP works to create only two viable parties. But US history is littered with dead political parties who found themselves without a constituency when the political winds shifted. It wouldn't be terrible for the Democrats to be interred next to the Whigs so a vigorous worker's party could take their spot.

Well it's no libertarian free market :jerbag: jerk but drat if you're not trying

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why is the person who thinks that the Dems should write off everything south of the Mason-Dixon line trying to scold others for not voting D?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

Cause even if in some fever dream your dipshit third rate chucklefucks get some momentum going, they will get crushed by the two main parties. Or by one of the two main parties cause they don't have that kind of bankroll.

lest we forget

Well it's no libertarian free market :jerbag: jerk but drat if you're not trying

Why should I have wasted my vote on abuela? Other candidates were more closely aligned with me and hillary told me to vote my conscience...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think blue candidates should generally be able to adopt positions amenable to local interests- the problem with the democratic party is moderate candidates running in solid blue areas.

By the way if you abandon red states, the republicans in more contested races have more money to throw into theirs.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why is the person who thinks that the Dems should write off everything south of the Mason-Dixon line trying to scold others for not voting D?

Because all that matters to centrism is moral superiority and the pretence of doing something even when the fact that if your only activism is only voting, you're basically at the same level as an internet slacktivist.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Not a Step posted:

When we lived in Oklahoma last year my wife registered as a Republican so she could at least pick the least bad Republican running for local offices in their primary, since that was the only vote that really mattered. I bet there's a lot of would be Democrats in red states that the Dems have abandoned who do the same thing.

sadly, doing something like that locks us out of choosing the presidential candidate. it's p hosed up :/

thankfully, the registered dems left in oklahoma saw bernie's worth. it makes me proud

Condiv fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 13, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't think any dems think that because there's a lot of safe democratic districts (AA vote getting gerrymandered into single districts lol) in the south and also pretty much every major city has democratic mayors

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

oh my loving god what a post.

im sort of in awe. like drat i wish i could shitpost like this. It's got a little of everything; mlk, assuming I'm talking down to southern minorities instead of southern whites and ending with a parting shot that equates the plight of white southern conservatives and blacks.

good poo poo. I changed my mind this thread is :five: worthy now.

You are talking down to southern minorities, friend. That you don't recognize them or their misery having any kind of value is kind of the problem!

You have told them that they deserve to suffer for the crime of being outvoted by southern conservatives.

You have told them that you are tired of their filthy, odious failure to outvote Republicans without any support from you, and for that reason you are abandoning them to their fate.

You have told every minority in the American South that the misery they will experience under a Republican-dominated government is a price you are willing to pay for the chance a couple of white conservatives will suffer along with them. What a noble support for minorities, that says "yeah, sure, you will suffer incredible agonies I refuse to lift a finger to stop, but I'm willing to trade that for the chance a white conservative will experience a fraction of your pain."

Let's work the math out on this one. Five black lives destroyed worth three white lives hurt sound like a good starting point?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

This isn't an Electorial College. The majority chose this. They can live out the consequences. I'm done having pity for these people.

Or are you suddenly gonna play the part of the good liberal where we need to give folks a chance?

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/kansas-house-special-election-district-4 look at this. Look at this stupid poo poo. 63,000 people looked at post-Brownback Kansas and decided "I mean you know what, why break with tradition/the emails/Islam/MSM/LIEBERALS/ehatever the gently caress" and pulled the red lever

You see those pretty little red squares with like less than 500 people? Those are the people who will get hit the hardest by this decision. This is the much-fabled "base". Let em ride it out.

I think you underestimate how easy it is to get inundated with a specific narrative when literally every single person you know personally shares and supports that narrative.

Think of it this way - if political views were solely the result of someone being born with a "dumb and/or evil" gene you'd see people with such views uniformly distributed throughout the country, but instead we see more people with dumb views in more rural areas, which implies that a person's environment and upbringing contribute greatly to the views they end up having. Obviously on an individual level this isn't universal, but it's an obvious trend and I think it's a pretty dangerous mindset to just say "welp these people are just intrinsically more evil and dumb than I am."

I mean, if you think about this for more than a minute it should be really obvious that "conservatives are intrinsically lovely bad people" is loving stupid and that (when looking at general populations) people are a product of their environment.

Another element to this is that I find a lot of liberals attribute way too much intelligence to your average Democratic voter. Like, they think that the average Democrat is voting because they also have good, well-informed opinions, when in reality most people, Democrat or Republican, just vote based upon what their environment (people, media they're exposed to, etc) informs them is the "correct" choice. Most Democrats would be just like Republicans if they were exposed to the same environment and experiences, they are not some sort of intelligent ubermensch.

edit: One thing I should add is that, despite saying this, I don't think that all of these people are necessarily redeemable. Often the damage done through a person being raised in a certain way and inundated with certain views is more or less irreversible, but opinions can still change over the course of generations. Even if you think that conservatives are trash who deserve to die in poverty, their children are not inherently evil simply by virtue of being born to a conservative parent.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 13, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ytlaya posted:

I think you underestimate how easy it is to get inundated with a specific narrative when literally every single person you know personally shares and supports that narrative.

Think of it this way - if political views were solely the result of someone being born with a "dumb and/or evil" gene you'd see people with such views uniformly distributed throughout the country, but instead we see more people with dumb views in more rural areas, which implies that a person's environment and upbringing contribute greatly to the views they end up having. Obviously on an individual level this isn't universal, but it's an obvious trend and I think it's a pretty dangerous mindset to just say "welp these people are just intrinsically more evil and dumb than I am."

I mean, if you think about this for more than a minute it should be really obvious that "conservatives are intrinsically lovely bad people" is loving stupid and that (when looking at general populations) people are a product of their environment.

Another element to this is that I find a lot of liberals attribute way too much intelligence to your average Democratic voter. Like, they think that the average Democrat is voting because they also have good, well-informed opinions, when in reality most people, Democrat or Republican, just vote based upon what their environment (people, media they're exposed to, etc) informs them is the "correct" choice. Most Democrats would be just like Republicans if they were exposed to the same environment and experiences, they are not some sort of intelligence ubermensch.

The results of the 2016 democratic primary prove this to be true. People vote for what they know.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Condiv posted:

Why should I have wasted my vote on abuela? Other candidates were more closely aligned with me and hillary told me to vote my conscience...

To be fair, so did Ted Cruz.:zombie:

(but given that you live in a deep red state that the Dems seem determined to ignore, I think you did the right thing)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

We don't live in shouldland, as much as I hate having to quote everyone's dad. These people chose what they wanted in spite of all evidence, and in the end there is nothing we can do to stop them. I'm not even sure what point you're making here other than to keep the moral high ground, and, well, look how great that turned out for democrats.

Even if you think that every Republican voter is trash that should literally suffer and die, not every single person who lives in Republican areas is Republican themselves. Many are also children (or other dependents like the mentally disabled).

Why am I even having to poitn this out. Jesus loving Christ there there is nothing worse than liberals when they get into one of their "trashing the poor rural untermensch" moods

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ytlaya posted:

:agreed: Again, education was the strongest predictor for how people voted in 2016.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Even if you think that every Republican voter is trash that should literally suffer and die, not every single person who lives in Republican areas is Republican themselves. Many are also children (or other dependents like the mentally disabled).

Why am I even having to poitn this out. Jesus loving Christ there there is nothing worse than liberals when they get into one of their "trashing the poor rural untermensch" moods

It justifies them not trying, though, which is always a much-sought-after coin.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ytlaya posted:

These are the same thing! It would be much better for the US if rural voters were sterilized and their votes taken away, to protect democracy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The problem with cutting the South loose is the same it's always been, there are huge populations of minority people who live there and the majority wants to gently caress them over. If it wasn't for that, I'd be all for the State's Rights you get what you vote for train.

This is what really makes it clear that, to many liberals, seeing conservatives "get what's coming to them" is more important than actually helping people. And - surprise surprise - this is very much the same sort of motivation many conservatives have.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Who was it again that argued that DNC chair didn't matter and that even if it did Perez was the best equipped to implement a 50 state strategy anyway? Haven't caught up to every thread but have any of these posters recanted?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Ytlaya posted:

This is what really makes it clear that, to many liberals, seeing conservatives "get what's coming to them" is more important than actually helping people. And - surprise surprise - this is very much the same sort of motivation many conservatives have.

I don't want them to suffer. But democracy is democracy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't agree with this. I don't want any GOP voter to get whats coming to them. I want them to improve their situation with higher taxes, spending on social programs, development, etc. The problem is, THEY DON'T WANT TO loving DO IT. When you try and rationally explain hy its a good idea, you get called a libtard or something else stupid. You're acting like there is some magic words we can use to make people see the world the way we want them to. It doesn't work like that.

You can't use reason to get someone out of a position they didn't use reason to get to in the first place. If the majority of people in these places want to run their government in a way they literally destroys their own communities, I am not able to stop them. I will continue to put my efforts where they are worth it, and can actually make a difference.

This doesn't mean I am abandoning the ~ 30% - 40% of people in those places that didn't vote for the horribleness. It means i am powerless to change it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ But you're (or rather Democrats in general) not powerless to change it. Maybe you can't change the result in the next few elections, but you can still gradually influence some of the people in those areas. And it's not like conservatives don't live in blue states; we're often talking about maybe a 10-20% difference between a state being solid blue and solid red.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't agree with this. I don't want any GOP voter to get whats coming to them. I want them to improve their situation with higher taxes, spending on social programs, development, etc. The problem is, THEY DON'T WANT TO loving DO IT. When you try and rationally explain hy its a good idea, you get called a libtard or something else stupid.

Most actual Republican voters are not the people who post online comments calling people libtards. My dad's side of my family, minus my dad himself, are very stereotypical Southern conservatives, and they don't really think about this stuff. They just feel that they identify more with Republicans because of the various cultural identifiers conservative politicians throw out there (plus cultural inertia).

It really isn't possible to understate how much of an impact it has if someone spends their entire life surrounded by people and exposed to media telling them "these guys are good and looking out for you and these other guys are terrible." Even if they start to realize that maybe the Republicans aren't looking out for them, they've been invested for so long in the idea that Democrats are terrible that they ultimately still vote R in the end. Most people, Democrat or Republican, do not vote based upon facts/information.

And of course there's the aforementioned point that it's an obvious fact that conservatives aren't intrinsically dumber and more evil than their liberal counterparts, because if they were you would see conservatives evenly distributed regardless of location, demographics, etc. It is an inescapable conclusion that the environments people are exposed to drive their voting behavior and unequivocally wrong that a bunch of people just arbitrarily make worse decisions in conservative regions. While it's probably too late to change the minds of most of these people, change has to start somewhere and ideally the next generation will be a little less conservative if you put more effort into improving conditions and education for people in those areas.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 13, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Who was it again that argued that DNC chair didn't matter and that even if it did Perez was the best equipped to implement a 50 state strategy anyway? Haven't caught up to every thread but have any of these posters recanted?

These posters are the same ones right now saying it was good that Kansas was left to twist and turn in the wind.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

trump voters aren't rural, they're petit bourgeois

the rural poor don't vote

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ But you're (or rather Democrats in general) not powerless to change it. Maybe you can't change the result in the next few elections, but you can still gradually influence some of the people in those areas. And it's not like conservatives don't live in blue states; we're often talking about maybe a 10-20% difference between a state being solid blue and solid red.

Most actual Republican voters are not the people who post online comments calling people libtards. My dad's side of my family, minus my dad himself, are very stereotypical Southern conservatives, and they don't really think about this stuff. They just feel that they identify more with Republicans because of the various cultural identifiers conservative politicians throw out there (plus cultural inertia).

It really isn't possible to understate how much of an impact it has if someone spends their entire life surrounded by people and exposed to media telling them "these guys are good and looking out for you and these other guys are terrible." Even if they start to realize that maybe the Republicans aren't looking out for them, they've been invested for so long in the idea that Democrats are terrible that they ultimately still vote R in the end. Most people, Democrat or Republican, do not vote based upon facts/information.

And of course there's the aforementioned point that it's an obvious fact that conservatives aren't intrinsically dumber and more evil than their liberal counterparts, because if they were you would see conservatives evenly distributed regardless of location, demographics, etc. It is an inescapable conclusion that the environments people are exposed to drive their voting behavior and unequivocally wrong that a bunch of people just arbitrarily make worse decisions in conservative regions. While it's probably too late to change the minds of most of these people, change has to start somewhere and ideally the next generation will be a little less conservative if you put more effort into improving conditions and education for people in those areas.

Yeah but then you get young liberals who move out for college and never go back because they're still dying hellholes at the end of the day

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

I argued that it wasn't a big deal that Perez got selected over Ellison. Unless you have some sort of evidence that Ellison as chair, rather than his current position as deputy chair, would have won this race, I don't see any reason to recant. Why should anyone recant support of Perez because some of you disagree with a single decision he made?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Apparently the 50-state strategy doesn't include red states.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

That would require some degree of self-reflection and shame, and a functional moral compass.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

I argued that it wasn't a big deal that Perez got selected over Ellison. Unless you have some sort of evidence that Ellison as chair, rather than his current position as deputy chair, would have won this race, I don't see any reason to recant. Why should anyone recant support of Perez because some of you disagree with a single decision he made?

Because he lied. But then I know that you don't care about him not keeping the promise odf the 50 state strategy because you think everyone in red states are irredeemable monsters. What with you being an admitted petulant child.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't agree with this. I don't want any GOP voter to get whats coming to them. I want them to improve their situation with higher taxes, spending on social programs, development, etc. The problem is, THEY DON'T WANT TO loving DO IT. When you try and rationally explain hy its a good idea, you get called a libtard or something else stupid. You're acting like there is some magic words we can use to make people see the world the way we want them to. It doesn't work like that.

You're ignoring the fact that a significant number of them, particularly in swing states, voted D not so long ago. Clearly their opinions can be changed, if they are engaged in the right manner.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah but then you get young liberals who move out for college and never go back because they're still dying hellholes at the end of the day

Yeah, I'm not sure what the solution to that is. I do know, though, that the Dems shouldn't be losing Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or Michigan. Centrists trying to handwave that away as "just the way political realignment goes" is really distasteful to me. These states aren't West Virginia or Kentucky. These are states that can still be won, fairly easily.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

Centrists trying to handwave that away as "just the way political realignment goes" is really distasteful to me.

Where is this happening? Obviously there's way more to it than that. We can definitely take those states back, we just need a candidate that excites voters. And visits them.

Kilroy posted:

Apparently the 50-state strategy doesn't include red states.

If money was not spent in Kansas now, but is spent in Kansas later, does the strategy include Kansas?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

If money was not spent in Kansas now, but is spent in Kansas later, does the strategy include Kansas?
It means that the strategy eventually included Kansas but it included Georgia first.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its fun that the Democratic line towards red states really seems to boil down to 'Let them pull themselves up by their bootstraps, then we'll help'. Its weird how much rhetorical crossover there is between centrist Dems and Republicans.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

R. Guyovich posted:

trump voters aren't rural, they're petit bourgeois

the rural poor don't vote

the typical trump supporter is a white dude in an area with $50k-$70k median income but is surrounded by poverty and opoid addiction neighborhoods and is afraid they are next

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Typo posted:

the typical trump supporter is a white dude in an area with $50k-$70k median income but is surrounded by poverty and opoid addiction neighborhoods and is afraid they are next

That or sees them on TV all the time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Where is this happening?

Throughout the previous iteration of this thread. It's...just an unbelievably :psyduck: argument.

Typo posted:

Well-put.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Where is this happening? Obviously there's way more to it than that. We can definitely take those states back, we just need a candidate that excites voters. And visits them.

You mean like Thompson you lying poo poo?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Not a Step posted:

Its weird how much rhetorical crossover there is between centrist Dems and Republicans.

...is it?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I would think by definition moderate dems and moderate republicans would be fairly close, possibly even overlap based on local politics.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Easy fix- legally change each democratic candidate's last name to have a "(R)" at the end of it to encourage people to vote for them in red states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

this was real evident during the election and it was p disgusting. the centrists were all more interested in picking someone who would "drive republicans crazy" than actually help people.

• Locked thread