Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TKIY posted:

This is worth money:

I like the Carrie hand popping out of the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TKIY posted:

This is worth money:

But is it worth the money that GW will charge for it, that is the question.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

But is it worth the money that GW will charge for it, that is the question.

Trick question. GW products are always worth the money

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
That is seriously a cool skelly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like this

The paint job is not super, but I mean the model

e. shown off a bit better:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Also these

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Yeah, I'm super excited for Runewars since I'd gladly have played WHFB except that terrible game design is a real turn-off for me.

Several people who wandered into the store while I was assembling the demo copy seemed excited so I'm optimistic, but it is in a weird spot as a product, so we'll see how it ends up doing. The good news is I like the rules so if no one buys my copies I'll just have a bunch to game with myself.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
You could probably mash the Runewars and new GW skellies together. Maybe throw some mantic ones in. Bonus: Really confuse the poo poo out of people who don't want their tables tainted with off-brand plastic dolls.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

spectralent posted:

You could probably mash the Runewars and new GW skellies together. Maybe throw some mantic ones in. Bonus: Really confuse the poo poo out of people who don't want their tables tainted with off-brand plastic dolls.

Runewars is definitely designed so this is unlikely to confuse anyone; you can already embed heroes and giant monsters in your unit by buying the appropriate upgrade cards, so a few off-brand skellies wouldn't matter.

I'd say it might bother GW purists but GW doesn't have a unit-based ranked battles game so welp.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixson posted:

Trick question. GW products are always worth the money

£80

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

This is worth money:

I cannot find fault with anything on this model

there good skeletons Bront

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm guessing it comes in one piece or maybe the shield arm and/or head can be swapped but basically it's one piece, which is the huge improvement that makes skellies look so much better.

Individually.

Since there's no rank and file game that GW makes any more, so there's no need to make a skeleton kit that produces a very wide variety of skeletons to use in a block.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Moola posted:

I cannot find fault with anything on this model

there good skeletons Bront

Probably the price tag.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Game of Thrones in space exists, it's called Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it's rad.

eh, it's very mixed in quality. major plot points hinge on people making implausible stupid decisions, and both the prussian aristocratic pastiche and the democratic pastiche are bland as hell

ilmucche posted:

As a game with secret objectives it would be rad. Do I kill this easy to kill guy, or is that what they want me to do?

malifaux already does this. one of the objectives is exactly that, in fact!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, I got to try it out last weekend and it was great. However, it really is too "gamey" for grognards and too deep into the rabbit hole for people who'd otherwise be drawn to stuff like x-wing. If it fails, it'll fail like D&D 4e because of that. I'm planning to split the starter with a friend and use our other fantasy stuff for the rest like people do for KOW. You'd need to write down your dials for everything else but that's not bad for a casual game.

I really enjoy the Runebound setting and I don't know if I'll bother getting it even so. I really hate painting.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Agreed. Rad terrain for a fair price

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Taear posted:

I really enjoy the Runebound setting and I don't know if I'll bother getting it even so. I really hate painting.

I'm just not gonna paint mine, even the rulebook explicitly says it's fine.

I mean, I might decide to paint it at some point because sometimes I forget that I'm bad at it and hate it, but I'm certainly not planning on it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

spectralent posted:

Probably the price tag.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm guessing it comes in one piece or maybe the shield arm and/or head can be swapped but basically it's one piece, which is the huge improvement that makes skellies look so much better.

Individually.

Since there's no rank and file game that GW makes any more, so there's no need to make a skeleton kit that produces a very wide variety of skeletons to use in a block.

Lots of recent GW stuff comes in one peice or snaps into a single pose, its probably the real reason I don't buy their stuff anymore.

I think that basically means I'm insane because the exact moment I fell out with GW was buying the updated clanrats and them being beautiful single part models instead of six part hideous monkey dogs.

Whats the loving point of the hobby if I'm not individually posing my toys?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

by.a.teammate posted:

The book of short stories that this is based on is amazing, well worth a read

What is it called?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixson posted:

Your gimmick is really hilarious, I hope you keep it up forever.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hixson posted:

ijyt alt-account spotted.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Isn't the issue with non humanoid armies that no one wants to play them cause most people are naturally turned off by being represented by something that doesn't look like them?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I'm really just asking for either the admission that 40k is a parody setting where laser elfs and football hooligan orks belong, or, just some minor concessions to realism to make aliens a little bit less just sexy slender humans with pointy ears and a little bit more like recognizably people but with motives and behaviors that humanity can't recognize in itself..

40k does have some really cool aliens, but only if you look outside the mainstream parts of it. They have the Slaugth, which are swarms of worms that imitate human bodies by hiding inside robes. They also have the Umbra, which is a sphere of something or other that lives in shadows. They have the Enslavers, which live in the warp and look like fleas or something. There's others, but those are the ones I remember. Of course, they aren't enough of a presence in the 40k universe to warrant being on the tabletop, but they are drat cool.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

"Anybody who disagrees with me is trolling"

-Leperflesh probably

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

same but unironically

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

Isn't the issue with non humanoid armies that no one wants to play them cause most people are naturally turned off by being represented by something that doesn't look like them?

In 40ks case its because anything that isn't human gets poo poo rules.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Edit: ^^^ Yea, that too. I think Tyranids were a pretty popular army when they landed, but they've been eroded by years of being the NPC faction and getting shat on constantly in updates.

The Skeleton King posted:

40k does have some really cool aliens, but only if you look outside the mainstream parts of it. They have the Slaugth, which are swarms of worms that imitate human bodies by hiding inside robes. They also have the Umbra, which is a sphere of something or other that lives in shadows. They have the Enslavers, which live in the warp and look like fleas or something. There's others, but those are the ones I remember. Of course, they aren't enough of a presence in the 40k universe to warrant being on the tabletop, but they are drat cool.

I was pretty bummed that they didn't play more into the Confederation of Species thing for the Tau; we basically just got Kroot and Vespids. It would have been pretty cool to have seen more variety so that it actually seemed like a bunch of different species working together, maybe mix a couple other humanoids into the regular squads or something too.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Go ahead and give GW money for those sick new skellies, we all know you were never committed to the don't-buy-gw shtick/are repressed fanboys.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ashcans posted:

Edit: ^^^ Yea, that too. I think Tyranids were a pretty popular army when they landed, but they've been eroded by years of being the NPC faction and getting shat on constantly in updates.

I was pretty bummed that they didn't play more into the Confederation of Species thing for the Tau; we basically just got Kroot and Vespids. It would have been pretty cool to have seen more variety so that it actually seemed like a bunch of different species working together, maybe mix a couple other humanoids into the regular squads or something too.

I think a major contributing factor was that for like 99% of Tau players, the appeal was the battlesuits and so why the gently caress would you bother with Kroot and Vespids. The Confederation of Species thing was a fine idea, it just unfortunately needed to be a different faction from the one with the mechs. But even then the Confederation faction would struggle without something more compelling around it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Mango Polo posted:

Go ahead and give GW money for those sick new skellies, we all know you were never committed to the don't-buy-gw shtick/are repressed fanboys.

I've never given GW money for anything ever and it seems unlikely I ever will.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh how's Crash doing?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Oh boy the gimmick posting GW fans are back to troll us about the super hot takes such as "cool model but probably pass at that price point" and " cool model but GW burned me in the past so pass"

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Those skeletons are baller.
I'd pay a decent amount just to put those bad boys on my desk. Or I would if I still did this hobby anymore. They are drat good skeletons anyway, by far the best work GW has done in a long while.

TTerrible posted:

In 40ks case its because anything that isn't human gets poo poo rules.

Bingo.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Bad Moon posted:

Oh boy the gimmick posting GW fans are back to troll us about the super hot takes such as "cool model but probably pass at that price point" and " cool model but GW burned me in the past so pass"

what price point?

The Skeleton King posted:

Those skeletons are baller.
I'd pay a decent amount just to put those bad boys on my desk. Or I would if I still did this hobby anymore. They are drat good skeletons anyway.

Bingo.

Tau, Eldar, Daemons

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

Tau, Eldar, Daemons

I was talking about Tyranids, which are the only non-humanoids.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

It's not a gimmick to say that GW has released a number of cost-effective and high quality products in the past year or so.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Too bad they are usually only either one of those. But yeah, those skeletons look nice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think a major contributing factor was that for like 99% of Tau players, the appeal was the battlesuits and so why the gently caress would you bother with Kroot and Vespids. The Confederation of Species thing was a fine idea, it just unfortunately needed to be a different faction from the one with the mechs. But even then the Confederation faction would struggle without something more compelling around it.

Yea, that's pretty much where it landed and of course it was easier/better for GW to make more battlsuits and tanks/robots than to come up with entirely new races to fill a battlefield role. I always wanted someone to take those artillery support gorillas from AT-43 with their huge guns and use those instead of the Tau battlesuits as an alternative model, because they were pretty cool models and it would have been a nice nod in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It's not a gimmick to say that GW has released a number of cost-effective and high quality products in the past year or so.

But is it a sign of GW changing their way of business, or just a halfhearted gesture? And besides, GW still has plenty of problems beyond just cost.

• Locked thread