Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
group activities where you don't create something are just fine, socialization is important

i'm saying if you're sitting in your darkened room alone, maybe make something occasionally instead of binging tv and vidya is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [22F] boyfriend [24M] thinks I'm not being supportive of his hobby. Am I being unfair?

What are more annoying; craft beer snobs, coffee snobs, or weed snobs?

this guy is addicted to weed pretty bad if he's getting this defensive about any limitation to his usage and god help him if he ever graduates to real drugs, especially if he's this in denial about his problematic relationship with the devil's lettuce

i see a fentanyl overdose in this guy's future

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also it'd be pretty annoying if a partner neglected our relationship for even "legitimate" hobbies - it's totally reasonable to want a partner who makes time for doing fun things with you.

Sorry, love partner, you are less important than me weaving this basket

Maybe we can get some quality time in while I soak the next layer of wicker but, well, no promises

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pick posted:

Sorry, love partner, you are less important than me weaving this basket

Maybe we can get some quality time in while I soak the next layer of wicker but, well, no promises
I can see it now...
*girl dumps weedlord, asks out sexy tortured artist type who is totally in tune with his feelings*

*spends 12 hours in the studio on your birthday because he still doesn't give a gently caress about hers*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I can see it now...
*girl dumps weedlord, asks out sexy tortured artist type who is totally in tune with his feelings*

*spends 12 hours in the studio on your birthday because he still doesn't give a gently caress about hers*

too real

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

too real

still better than being ignored for videogames or "my animes!", though

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I dated a girl who actually wanted to sit and watch me paint :shrug:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Help! Why is my cokehead girlfriend acting like a cokehead?

My [18f] is sick of me telling her what to do, I [20M] just think I am trying to stop her unsafe and reckless habits.

quote:

So me and my girlfriend have been dating for a little over two months now. We are both at uni together so we spend a lot of time together. However back home her friend group is less than ideal as they very often partake in harder drugs, coke being the biggest of the bunch.
Now I am no stranger to harder drugs having tried a few on the off occasion, 5-6 times a year. However coke has been a weekly/multiple times a week issue in the past for my gf. She was using it as a study aid during school but has since slowed down on it.
We had a discussion about it and I told her I don't mind the occasional time going out with friends and doing it but I am not okay with her using it as a general boredom or tiredness cure. She claims that "so its okay when its on my terms but not on hers". About 2 weeks ago she promised she would stop but I recently found out she did it a few days ago while studying. I am upset because she neglected to tell me and broke her word. My main concern is that if she keeps these habits as a casual thing when she goes back home the problem will be amplified but if she fully commits to staying off it the problem won't be as bad at home.

Hey response last night when we argued about this was that "this is not my problem" , "mind my own business", and "I am not a child and you are not my mother so drop it". As the relationship is getting to a serious point I assumed as a couple we are entitled to a personal life and to make our own choices but if those choices are something the other one is not okay with or are having impacts on the relationship then it becomes both of our business?

tl;dr: I am worried about my girlfriends casual use of coke and her not listening to how I feel about the issue.

Am I being overbearing? Insensitive? Are there any better ways of me bringing this up with her, and how can I offer to help her without seeming condescending/a jerk?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
My dream woman is the one who sits and watches me watch youtubers playing video games about being youtube tycoons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

come here honey, watch me watch this guy play watch your boyfriend watch youtube simulator 2018

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

come here honey, watch me watch this guy play watch your boyfriend watch youtube simulator 2018

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [22F] boyfriend [24M] thinks I'm not being supportive of his hobby. Am I being unfair?

What are more annoying; craft beer snobs, coffee snobs, or weed snobs?

When the person you are loving calls weed a hobby and wants you to refute hobbies come at me bro

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

group activities where you don't create something are just fine, socialization is important

i'm saying if you're sitting in your darkened room alone, maybe make something occasionally instead of binging tv and vidya is all

It's cool to have people express their opinions. What are you hoping to accomplish by giving a detailed accounting of your specific preferences with regards to hobbies?

Other people will do what they find fun, I'm sorry if it offends you that other people spend their time in ways you wouldn't. Given that this will be the case most of your life, I don't know why you would fixate on that or continue to post about it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just imagine how many layers of passive consumption we'll have in 2030

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

"Oh he went with the weedlord build for his main, I'd have gone with the spindly weeaboo build, less chance of a random girlfriend distraction penalty."

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

*sighs wistfully*

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Rakthar posted:

It's cool to have people express their opinions. What are you hoping to accomplish by giving a detailed accounting of your specific preferences with regards to hobbies?

Other people will do what they find fun, I'm sorry if it offends you that other people spend their time in ways you wouldn't. Given that this will be the case most of your life, I don't know why you would fixate on that or continue to post about it.

this is an internet forum, and often, people post things on them. sometimes their opinions, sometimes other stuff. also, people who neither create nor produce anything new or original their wholes lives are sad, and i feel sad for them. i use this forum to express those feelings, sometimes.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Clark Nova posted:

Just imagine how many layers of passive consumption we'll have in 2030

I'm an equatorial air enthusiast. I book vacations to Gabon to breathe the air and blog about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [18f] is sick of me telling her what to do, I [20M] just think I am trying to stop her unsafe and reckless habits.

Im honestly more confused why cokehead girl is still with such a boring dude. Evey cokehead I knew would mosey on to another cokefiend or party animal pretty fast, usually to the point of ghosting.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

this is an internet forum, and often, people post things on them. sometimes their opinions, sometimes other stuff. also, people who neither create nor produce anything new or original their wholes lives are sad, and i feel sad for them. i use this forum to express those feelings, sometimes.

Yeah but yer going on and on about your tier list of hobbies and which are cool and good. Did something provoke the idea that we want it? Could you maybe just do one blog post about The Correct Hobbies instead of dribbling it out one line at a time?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Okay, Hobbies Should Be A Thing Where You Create Something That Did Not Exist Before, Or Accomplish A Thing Other Than Turning Plants Into Ash Or Liquid Into Piss Or Food Into Poop

I'll have you know that generating poop involves some very complex biochemical processes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

quote:

She was using it as a study aid during school but has since slowed down on it.

It's medicinal!

Jesus, at least with the adderall people it's loving plausible

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

Im honestly more confused why cokehead girl is still with such a boring dude. Evey cokehead I knew would mosey on to another cokefiend or party animal pretty fast, usually to the point of ghosting.

This is the dude's response in the comments

quote:

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give the whole accept her for who she is for now and just see what direction she starts moving in down the line.

So his problem will solve itself in a few weeks.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

good hobbies: rock climbing, cooking, masturbating, birdwatching

bad hobbies: anime, weed, forum posting, racquetball

ok next question

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Sometimes having hobbies is bad because I paint miniatures and I literally have to hide them in an actual closet when I have women I don't know well over and I don't spring them on someone I'm dating until after we've hosed multiple times. I am literally a closeted miniature painter.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

good hobbies: rock climbing, cooking, masturbating, birdwatching

bad hobbies: anime, weed, forum posting, racquetball

ok next question

Those are all the items on my list but they're jumbled around as gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Birdwatching is for the CRAZIEST motherfuckers

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pick posted:

Birdwatching is for the CRAZIEST motherfuckers

As someone new to birdwatching, it's pretty chill and cool actually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

new phone who dis posted:

Sometimes having hobbies is bad because I paint miniatures and I literally have to hide them in an actual closet when I have women I don't know well over and I don't spring them on someone I'm dating until after we've hosed multiple times. I am literally a closeted miniature painter.

Its better than having a miniature painter trapped in your closet.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Rakthar posted:

Yeah but yer going on and on about your tier list of hobbies and which are cool and good. Did something provoke the idea that we want it? Could you maybe just do one blog post about The Correct Hobbies instead of dribbling it out one line at a time?

i'm here to have a conversation, not post manifestos. what's wrong with having a chat with my forum pals

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

a super crazy person posted:

As someone new to birdwatching, it's pretty chill and cool actually

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Barudak posted:

Its better than having a miniature painter trapped in your closet.

I feel like if a woman found out later in the relationship and honor killed me out of shame I would understand.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Speaking of hobbies, this one killed me. Also I like that this is the edited for brevity version.

My boyfriend (28M) of 11 months got mad at me and told me I (24F) was being mean to him while playing a video game

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year. We fight relatively often, usually due to misunderstanding or miscommunication. I think it's been getting better, but small issues like this seem to come up a lot, and at this point I'm wondering if I am actually being mean or too harsh, or if I'm justified in my reactions.

We started playing Minecraft together and built a narrow, hallway-like home there which I wasn't a huge fan of. I told him that when I played the game previously, I liked to look up house floor plans online and try to replicate them in game for fun. I really just wanted more space to expand and not feel so restricted. I expressed interest in moving to a different island, but there aren't a lot of habitable places (wide, flat land without a lot of trees) in the nearby surrounding ocean and he said he liked our island and wanted to stay.

Anyway, it was fine and I tried to make the best of it by building underground (still hard because the ocean is all around us). It was liveable for me until he built this automatic fishing contraption. I guess he looked up a tutorial online and figured out a way to continuously fish and have the items siphoned into a tower of chests while he was AFK for hours and hours. To me, this takes the fun out of the game and items less valuable because you don't have to be playing to get them :/ Now we have too many chests just filled with random stuff he catches. Most of it is good, like spell books and enchanted items and saddles, but it's all in excess. I told him it felt cluttered.

Not only that, but he found out you could tame and then breed cats and dogs, so he bred probably at least 10 of each, if not more, and has them all sitting random places around the house and island for "protection". He had also previously built a fortress wall around us for the same reason, which I thought detracted from the island and how part of the fun for me was defending against the monsters.

It might seem silly, but it stresses me out to have so much clutter and so many animals all over everywhere. I asked him if he could please stop the fishing and get rid of some of the animals, and he agreed to the fishing, but his response on the animals was "No! I worked so hard to get all of them!!"

So I said that was fine, but I was just going to travel and settle a different island because all the clutter and animals stress me out and make the game not enjoyable for me. He was really unhappy with this and said, "You're being mean!! Why are you being so mean to me?"

I tried to explain that I wasn't trying to be mean, and listed my reasons for wanting to move to a different island again. I told him I'm uncomfortable there and it's not fun for me. He calls me childish and then just continues to repeat "Mean! Mean!" a few times. I think he was trying to make light of the situation by doing that, but I was kind of tired of being called mean for trying to enjoy the game in a way I like. I ask him why he was acting immaturely and said that it is okay for me to move to a different island if it's not fun for me.

He turns serious and extends my reaction to our relationship, claiming, "This is actually really concerning. All you ever care about is yourself and your comfort. I'm worried this is how our life is going to be together in the future and it says a lot about you and who you are - you only care if you're comfortable and never put my needs or wants first."

I'm totally caught off guard and just sort of ask "Are you being serious? I just don't want to live there and that's okay." but he tells me that he's going to go to sleep and says good night.

I'm really not sure what to think or how to act. Was I being mean? Was he being unreasonable? Was I being unreasonable? Is there a nicer way I can phrase things next time? Help?

TL;DR: Bf built an automatic fishing machine in Minecraft and bred some animals. Now our house is all chests of stuff and random animals. I left to settle a different island. He calls me mean and applies this to our relationship.

Edited for brevity... I'm long-winded.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 13, 2017

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

weightlifting is an ok hobby, but only if you don't use the machines

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

People Should Sometimes Do Things That Make Them Go Outside In The Sun And Talk To Other People And Maybe Gives Them A Sense of Accomplishment Or Peace.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

i'm here to have a conversation, not post manifestos. what's wrong with having a chat with my forum pals

Ah ok, let's have a conversation. I'm going to infer from the posts that you like to make things as a hobby. Other people like to relax in other ways. Do you feel that your way of spending your free time is superior? If not, will it not always 'confuse' you that other people choose to spend their lives in other ways than yours?

Given that's the case, why go through the same tired list of poo poo "HEY NERDS GET OUT OF THE BASEMENT" that is really predictable and boring and has been covered, and the sage insight being added is "It's very important to me that other people spend their free time in the way I think they should." Which, frankly, seems bizarre to me.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I think "my boyfriend is a minecraft pet hoarder" may be the pettiest of all first world problems.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

youtube simulator 2018
This is a Steam game I bet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rakthar posted:

Given that's the case, why go through the same tired list of poo poo "HEY NERDS GET OUT OF THE BASEMENT" that is really predictable and boring and has been covered, and the sage insight being added is "It's very important to me that other people spend their free time in the way I think they should." Which, frankly, seems bizarre to me.

It feels weirdly tied into the whole Protestant Work Ethic thing, where even one's free time must be used productively or else you're a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

new phone who dis posted:

I think "my boyfriend is a minecraft pet hoarder" may be the pettiest of all first world problems.
If I wrote that post I'd have written it completely straight and only revealed that I'm talking about minecraft at the end, in the tl;dr or something.