Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Yawgmoth posted:

This is a Steam game I bet.

There is a youtube tycoon simulator game, yes. You can actually watch youtube idiots play if staring into the rear end in a top hat of the space/time suck vortex is your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

should've spoilered the ages in the minecraft story

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

McDragon posted:

Speaking of hobbies, this one killed me. Also I like that this is the edited for brevity version.

My boyfriend (28M) of 11 months got mad at me and told me I (24F) was being mean to him while playing a video game

r/relationships my boyfriend hoards and raises cat in a trailer-like home. Should I be worried?

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year. We fight relatively often, usually due to misunderstanding or miscommunication. I think it's been getting better, but small issues like this seem to come up a lot, and at this point I'm wondering if I am actually being mean or too harsh, or if I'm justified in my reactions.

He built a narrow, hallway-like home there which I wasn't a huge fan of. I told him I liked to look up house floor plans online and try to replicate them for fun. I really just wanted more space to expand and not feel so restricted. I expressed interest in moving to a different island, but there aren't a lot of habitable places (wide, flat land without a lot of trees) in the nearby surrounding ocean and he said he liked our island and wanted to stay.

Anyway, it was fine and I tried to make the best of it by building underground (still hard because the ocean is all around us). It was liveable for me until he built this automatic fishing contraption. I guess he looked up a tutorial online and figured out a way to continuously fish and have the items siphoned into a tower of chests while he was AFK for hours and hours. To me, this takes the fun out of it and makes items less valuable because you don't have to work to get them :/ Now we have too many chests just filled with random stuff he catches. Most of it is good, like spell books and enchanted items and saddles, but it's all in excess. I told him it felt cluttered.

Not only that, but he found out you could tame and then breed cats and dogs, so he bred probably at least 10 of each, if not more, and has them all sitting random places around the house and island for "protection". He had also previously built a fortress wall around us for the same reason, which I thought detracted from the island and how part of the fun for me was defending against the monsters.

It might seem silly, but it stresses me out to have so much clutter and so many animals all over everywhere. I asked him if he could please stop the fishing and get rid of some of the animals, and he agreed to the fishing, but his response on the animals was "No! I worked so hard to get all of them!!"

So I said that was fine, but I was just going to travel and settle a different island because all the clutter and animals stress me out and is not enjoyable for me. He was really unhappy with this and said, "You're being mean!! Why are you being so mean to me?"

I tried to explain that I wasn't trying to be mean, and listed my reasons for wanting to move to a different island again. I told him I'm uncomfortable there and it's not fun for me. He calls me childish and then just continues to repeat "Mean! Mean!" a few times. I think he was trying to make light of the situation by doing that, but I was kind of tired of being called mean for trying to enjoy things in a way I like. I ask him why he was acting immaturely and said that it is okay for me to move to a different island if it's not fun for me.

He turns serious and extends my reaction to our relationship, claiming, "This is actually really concerning. All you ever care about is yourself and your comfort. I'm worried this is how our life is going to be together in the future and it says a lot about you and who you are - you only care if you're comfortable and never put my needs or wants first."

I'm totally caught off guard and just sort of ask "Are you being serious? I just don't want to live there and that's okay." but he tells me that he's going to go to sleep and says good night.

I'm really not sure what to think or how to act. Was I being mean? Was he being unreasonable? Was I being unreasonable? Is there a nicer way I can phrase things next time? Help?

Oh I forgot to mention this is in Minecraft.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If I wrote that post I'd have written it completely straight and only revealed that I'm talking about minecraft at the end, in the tl;dr or something.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

If I wrote that post I'd have written it completely straight and only revealed that I'm talking about minecraft at the end, in the tl;dr or something.

In a follow-up post after internet weirdos have completely savaged you for allowing your boyfriend to operate an unlicensed puppy mill.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

McDragon posted:

Speaking of hobbies, this one killed me. Also I like that this is the edited for brevity version.

My boyfriend (28M) of 11 months got mad at me and told me I (24F) was being mean to him while playing a video game

This is exactly how living together is going to play out, lol, I can see it now

He'll insist on living someplace dumb, she'll try to make the place livable, and then he'll fill it with poo poo he brings home from the thrift store when he starts a flipping hobby after seeing a youtube channel, and finally she'll move out once the animal hoarding starts and he'll have a huge meltdown about it

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
lol. i am not against chilling out. often, i smoke weed and watch some tv with friends, or on my own sometimes. or i do that without weed! it varies. im not saying your whole life should be spent in an endless pursuit of betterment, and never relax.

i do believe though that there is a real, legitimate difference in the kind of enjoyment and satisfaction one gets from relaxing or just consuming media/info/entertainment, and creating new things/media for entertainment. there is a feeling when you see an object or drawing or piece of music or whatever that didn't exist before you decided to create it, that cannot be gotten from passively accepting entertainment, and i believe everyone should try to experience that. it massively increases happiness.

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 13, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mirthless posted:

He'll insist on living someplace dumb, she'll try to make the place livable, and then he'll fill it with poo poo he brings home from the thrift store when he starts a flipping hobby after seeing a youtube channel, and finally she'll move out once the animal hoarding starts and he'll have a huge meltdown about it

Reminds me of the guy who was happy living in a trailer forever and just never showering but wanted his gf to stick with him through it all

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

new phone who dis posted:

I think "my boyfriend is a minecraft pet hoarder" may be the pettiest of all first world problems.

Having arguments about structures and simulated animals in voxel space is actually a fifth world problem

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i do believe though that there is a real, legitimate different in the kind of enjoyment and satisfaction one gets from relaxing or just consuming media/info/entertainment, and creating new things/media for entertainment. there is a feeling when you see an object or drawing or piece of music or whatever that didn't exist before you decided to create it, that cannot be gotten from passively accepting entertainment, and i believe everyone should try to experience that. it massively increases happiness.

Other people are not going to live life the way you think they should, and I encourage you to make your peace with this. Unless you just want to forever sit there and explain that people are doing their hobbies wrong, if they could just experience the joy of being a maker... a creative... not a savage and a worthless passive consumer or whatever you think.

I get that you like what you like, but other people don't see the world the way you do. The way your posts are written is that you pity these ignorant savages that just don't understand the joy etc etc and I'm here to tell you that your position is really stupid and unexamined and self-referential to your own world view.

Other people are free to live their lives and spend them how they want, and you probably shouldn't wring your hands and chide them about not doing it the way you would. Just a tip. Or you can continue your crusade to reform free time one post at a time.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

here's another hobby hierarchy

woodworking > homebrewing > drinking by yourself > giving blowjobs to strangers > watercolors

calligraphy and progressive anal stretching are in there somewhere

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

lol. i am not against chilling out. often, i smoke weed and watch some tv with friends, or on my own sometimes. or i do that without weed! it varies. im not saying your whole life should be spent in an endless pursuit of betterment, and never relax.

i do believe though that there is a real, legitimate different in the kind of enjoyment and satisfaction one gets from relaxing or just consuming media/info/entertainment, and creating new things/media for entertainment. there is a feeling when you see an object or drawing or piece of music or whatever that didn't exist before you decided to create it, that cannot be gotten from passively accepting entertainment, and i believe everyone should try to experience that. it massively increases happiness.
I do think using the creative part of your brain is really awesome and adults aren't really encouraged to do it enough. It doesn't have to be a physical object - performance is similar. Gonna out myself here but I actually think, as silly as it is, forum posting in a way that makes others laugh on purpose is a lot more life-affirming than watching tv or playing a video game or whatever. (This is not the only creative venture I engage in, I promise.) I'm not saying I hate or look down on people who don't do that stuff at all, but I would encourage them to change because like, there's a whole world of positive feelings and purpose and fun you only experience if you turn that part of your brain back on. (Pretty much every young child is effortlessly creative, then it gets metaphorically beaten out of you in school.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 13, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Telling people they are living their lives wrong is a rewarding and satisfying hobby.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 13, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mirthless posted:

it's pretty cool that modern technology allows us to do a test run on becoming a hoarder before we fully commit to one particular mentally ill person lifestyle

it's pretty on par with the difference between developing close human relationships and staying home and masturbating but oh drat now I did it rakthar is going to spend fifteen pages spluttering about the oppressive anti-masturbation bigots

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I do think using the creative part of your brain is really awesome and adults aren't really encouraged to do it enough. It doesn't have to be a physical object - performance is similar. Gonna out myself here but I actually think, as silly as it is, forum posting in a way that makes others laugh on purpose is a lot more life-affirming than watching tv or playing a video game or whatever. I'm not saying I hate or look down on people who don't do that stuff at all, but I would encourage them to change because like, there's a whole world of positive feelings and purpose and fun you only experience if you turn that part of your brain back on. (Pretty much every young child is effortlessly creative, then it gets metaphorically beaten out of you in school.)

I think posting can be a performance art, and I kind of agree with you.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I do think using the creative part of your brain is really awesome and adults aren't really encouraged to do it enough. It doesn't have to be a physical object - performance is similar. Gonna out myself here but I actually think, as silly as it is, forum posting in a way that makes others laugh on purpose is a lot more life-affirming than watching tv or playing a video game or whatever. I'm not saying I hate or look down on people who don't do that stuff at all, but I would encourage them to change because like, there's a whole world of positive feelings and purpose and fun you only experience if you turn that part of your brain back on. (Pretty much every young child is effortlessly creative, then it gets metaphorically beaten out of you in school.)

that's why i spend all day on here telling people to turn on their monitors

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

should've spoilered the ages in the minecraft story

oh crap, I knew I forgot something

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the only thing that is really for sure a good thing is to be physically active. im overweight and have been busting my rear end in the gym since one of my hobbies is hiking and i want to do progressively more advanced backpacking stuff. don't matter what it is, people should do at least something that gets them moving.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's pretty on par with the difference between developing close human relationships and staying home and masturbating but oh drat now I did it rakthar is going to spend fifteen pages spluttering about the oppressive anti-masturbation bigots
pretend I post the entirety of the text of infinite jest here (jestse?)

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah, encouraging people to be creative is a good thing. People should be able to express themselves in their life and it would be cool if they could do so better than they currently can.

Sitting there and going "Ah, what a loser" when you see someone enjoying a moment that doesn't involve bettering themselves is really dumb. You have no insight into that person's life but you're going to somehow conclude that because you caught them in a moment of relaxation, they must not be spending their time productively. It's duuuumb.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

pretend I post the entirety of the text of infinite jest here (jestse?)

gatese (gately)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

I do think using the creative part of your brain is really awesome and adults aren't really encouraged to do it enough. It doesn't have to be a physical object - performance is similar. Gonna out myself here but I actually think, as silly as it is, forum posting in a way that makes others laugh on purpose is a lot more life-affirming than watching tv or playing a video game or whatever. (This is not the only creative venture I engage in, I promise.) I'm not saying I hate or look down on people who don't do that stuff at all, but I would encourage them to change because like, there's a whole world of positive feelings and purpose and fun you only experience if you turn that part of your brain back on. (Pretty much every young child is effortlessly creative, then it gets metaphorically beaten out of you in school.)

this. i'm not filled with boiling hate when people don't create anything at all, it just bums me out that they're missing out on this fundamentally wonderful thing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

I think posting can be a performance art, and I kind of agree with you.

Avshalom's post history should be a book. Like you could format it as one and it'd be like House of Leaves but not suck

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pick posted:

Avshalom's post history should be a book. Like you could format it as one and it'd be like House of Leaves but not suck

my favorite poster in that vein was Infrateal back in the LF days. anyone remember that dude?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Toblerone Triangular's posting history is Fine Art

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The greatest two posts of all time were

Obeah posted:

When I was working as a graphic designer for PAWS Inc. (SE Asian Market) in Muncie, Indiana, I got stuck in what I can only describe as a triplex apartment between a group of BSU students and an elderly, mentally handicapped man who would tell us all about how he was the last person in his assistance program to still have a helper monkey. Apparently they've mostly been phased out or something?

Anyway, the kids who lived next to me in the triplex were obsessed with seeing this grandfathered capuchin and seemed to be split 50-50 on believing it even existed. I'd been there six months, the students almost a year, and none of us had seen or heard this thing in person. Kenneth - the old man - would stand on his end of the house and "water the grass", which really just amounted to chain smoking and hosing his corner of the lawn down. Anytime any of us went outside while he was doing this, he'd yell conversation to us. "Esquire (the monkey) turned off the TV during Final Jeopardy last night. I got so mad..." and "I caught Esquire eating out of the trash again. Such a pain in my rear end." It was nonstop during the summer months.

So at the end of August, I was helping Kenneth with some legitimate yard work. He asked me if I wanted to come over for dinner, and even though Esquire did not come up in the invitation at all, he was my first thought. A chance to confirm this creature's existence. I jumped at the opportunity.

So that night, I have the worst meal of my life. Reheated spaghetti eaten out of Tupperware. No conversation. Just the sounds of us eating. Feeling weirdly nauseous and wanting to go home, I asked Kenneth where Esquire was.

"In my bedroom. He was acting up earlier. and I didn't want him bothering you during supper."

I should have accepted this, but I pressed on, saying I was full and just wanted to meet him before going home. At this point, Kenneth stood up, walked to his bedroom, slammed the door shut, and was in there for maybe five minutes or so. I was about to leave when he came out.

"He's about to bedtime out, but you can see him before you leave."

Here's my memory of that encounter, as filtered through my PTSD (semi-serious here - I could get diagnosed for sure):

Sock monkey sitting in a wicker chair next to a bed. Withered Cracker Barrel price tag still hanging off. White areas of the monkey stained with nicotine. A hole cut in between the legs. Kenneth behind me. The sinking feeling as I realize his hard cock (still in pants, though) is pressed against my back. I forget the exact words, but he did ask me to touch Esquire, so I half heartedly petted it and he slapped the back of my head. Whispered to me "F-fingerblast this little turd." That part I remember perfectly. And I did.

I won't dwell on the rest of the encounter. Suffice to say that it was a bad night for me, and finishing out that lease was hell. I don't regret anything but accepting the dinner invitation. Had I not become finger intimate with Esquire, he very well could have stabbed me. He'd been collecting knives since Vietnam. I noticed several pocket knives on a drawer in the bedroom alone. This was a scary dude, and it's hard to blame myself for it. But anyway, I ended up getting let go from my dream job right before the end of the lease, so obviously I didn't stick around for long.

All of this is just a roundabout way of saying that you should really, really be careful around this neighbor of yours. What seems and reads as funny on SA or to your friends can be a life threatening, terrifying experience irl.

and

utjkju posted:

5-6 times in year i see bears and moose or large deer-like animals in a zoo in city Novosibirsk.
But onсe i met bear in nature reserve Ergaki. . That day i did not go on a mountain. I was left in camp for climbers.
We knew that in nature reserve Ergaki wаlked bears. They (bears) stole food at camp for climbers. Therefore we hanged knapsack with food on a tree.
But that day climbers which went on the mountain took away cordage.
I moved a backpack far away from tent under a tree that the bear didn't get into tent. Then i cooked food for climbers which went on the mountain. Also I left a pan with porridge near a tree.
I sleeped in tent. I heard that at the camp someone went and rattled ware. I thought that climbers returned. But climbers didn't speak among themselves. This was strange. I asked: "Who here? " To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr". I understood that it was the bear. I told it: "leave" But To me answered: "rrrrrrrrrrrr".
The bear ate all porridge which I cooked for climbers. Then bear left. This was the small bear.
Climbers returned at night. I told them abot bear. They told me that they met bear too. They told me that Lena saw an rear end of a bear and cried: "What terrible rear end! " The bear escaped.
I saw moose when i was in geological practice.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

this. i'm not filled with boiling hate when people don't create anything at all, it just bums me out that they're missing out on this fundamentally wonderful thing

It's actually Puritan poo poo, that says that your free time must be spent productively just like your work time. Don't have garbage hobbies. Stay in shape. Eat right. Do creative things. Be a maker. Contribute.

The list of demands on Other People's time grows ever larger, even though people are ever more poor and overworked and struggle to just deal with their day to day poo poo.

But the list of requirements for how to live correctly goes ever larger. You not only have to do everything right at work and in your personal life, your hobbies must be Correct as well. The way to express this is to endlessly poo poo talk the things people do like, and imply they are bad. Garbage hobbies for garbage people.

I find this stuff very odd. And the way it's presented very odd as well.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Het used to have some good poo poo, too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

my favorite poster in that vein was Infrateal back in the LF days. anyone remember that dude?

Infrateal and Ingwit were A+ and I'm glad Avshalom is here to keep the artform alive as the last master-class postsmith of this decadent age

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Rakthar posted:

It's actually Puritan poo poo, that says that your free time must be spent productively just like your work time. Don't have garbage hobbies. Stay in shape. Eat right. Do creative things. Be a maker. Contribute.

The list of demands on Other People's time grows ever larger, even though people are ever more poor and overworked and struggle to just deal with their day to day poo poo.

But the list of requirements for how to live correctly goes ever larger. You not only have to do everything right at work and in your personal life, your hobbies must be Correct as well. The way to express this is to endlessly poo poo talk the things people do like, and imply they are bad. Garbage hobbies for garbage people.

I find this stuff very odd. And the way it's presented very odd as well.

I'm confused. Are you really saying all activities have equal value as pastimes?

I dunno why you think I'm, like, the hobby police. I'm not saying everything must be productive at all times. I am saying that I find it sad if someone never produces and only consumes, and I would encourage them to try making something. Not for money, or as a "side hustle," I don't even care if they get better at it, just make something and find joy in the making, or at least try it sometime. I find it strange that this is controversial in any way, honestly. I am not saying that any and all passive activities are a waste and a terrible thing. I am saying, one should do both.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm the hobby police, and the penalty for watching other people watch their computer screens is one hundred hours of Go Outside And Play

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rakthar posted:

Stay in shape. Eat right. Do creative things. Be a maker. Contribute.
These are all Objectively Good Things and if you don't have some intrinsic desire to do all of them on some level then you are broken and should see if your parents can return you under warranty for a new one.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

I'm the hobby police, and the penalty for watching other people watch their computer screens is one hundred hours of Go Outside And Play

this would unironically be wonderful for society imo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ei81W228ww&t=137s

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think consumption can be a hobby if you're involved in communities that talk about thing or you write blogs about it or w/e. Like someone into art, music, or film that goes beyond passively enjoying it and is obviously way more into it than a layman.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

"fingerblast that little turd!"

Also, poo poo why are people so loving infantile about "being told what to do."

Like if the biggest imposition in your life is someone suggesting you try a new activity, or [god forbid] telling you they don't think a certain activity is healthy or even good, just grow a spine and have a little perspective: everyone has different opinions, everyone has different life experiences. So what if they're wrong? Have the prudence to acknowledge that there is a reason for why they think the way they do, and don't hold that against them. Even the biggest rear end in a top hat you know has something to offer that you could learn from or learn to enjoy. Even if they're being rude, or even just the teensyiest bit insensitive, who cares? Its just ideas and words.

Seriously, have some zen in your life. There's just no reason to get so loving put out over what other people say and do and think./

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ArbitraryC posted:

I think consumption can be a hobby if you're involved in communities that talk about thing or you write blogs about it or w/e. Like someone into art, music, or film that goes beyond passively enjoying it and is obviously way more into it than a layman.

the writing and talking are creative, or at least generative. criticism is a way to improve ideas or make new ones, and that's a good thing :)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

criticism is a way to improve ideas or make new ones, and that's a good thing :)

/\ I meant that /\

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a certain kind of person who takes any advice as "angry condemnation" and boy oh boy is it exhausting.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pick posted:

Wait, does everybody think House of Leaves sucks? Is this the prevailing opinion? (I liked it!)

Not that the post history book idea isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Wait, does everybody think House of Leaves sucks? Is this the prevailing opinion?

Not that the post history book idea isn't great.

house of leaves is alright, but its a good horror story buried in wanky academia, and also the Faulknerian stream of consciousness pretensions of the lamest tattoo artist dropout character ever written