Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Lightning Lord posted:

Aside from Fate (since I'm already considering it) what would be another good system for running Planescape? Keep in mind that I don't want to just do adventures in Sigil, I want to explore the rest of the planes and possibly even make some trips to the Prime.
I know you're already considering Fate, but what if the different planes had their own plane-spanning aspects to underline their features? That'd be neat.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Aside from Fate (since I'm already considering it) what would be another good system for running Planescape? Keep in mind that I don't want to just do adventures in Sigil, I want to explore the rest of the planes and possibly even make some trips to the Prime.

I enjoy Strike! a whole lot for this.

Since the skills and combat abilities of players are freeform, they can sort of have whatever origin they want.

Complications handle all of your weird alignment and out-of-plane deity stuff without making them archaic or punishing (since players choose when to invoke complications.)

There are enough variant rules an options you can make each plane feel a little different (use the 2d6 variant on Mechanus, cover variant rules on Acheron, etc.,)

Also Strike!'s approach to magic items and loot is just way easier to handle than 2e ever dreamed of.

EDIT: Is there a good system for handling a variety of combat types while keeping them varied and interesting? I'm aware of several wrestling systems, but I was hoping for a setting agnostic system or at least an easier setting to pitch.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 13, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Lightning Lord posted:

I once ran a Planescape campaign with Burning Wheel that was moderately successful. The reason I feel it fits well is that it's a conceit of the Planescape setting that belief can change the nature of reality (something that never really had any rules support in its original incarnation), and Burning Wheel is a game that's all about fighting for beliefs.

Each of the outer planes had its own thematic belief that related to its nature, e.g. Pandemonium was "Life is meaningless and despair is the only answer." Anyone on a plane gets access to the plane's belief and can earn artha for acting on it (whether supporting it or fighting against it). Evolving beliefs allowed a player to add traits to the plane in question, slowly changing the nature of that plane, etc.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's neat. I've never bothered with Burning Wheel simply because the author's pretentious wizard style of social media interaction turns me off.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Burning Wheel is good but for most D&D poisoned groups the better intro to that system is Torchbearer, which is is sort of exactly halfway between Nethack and OD&D

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Falstaff posted:

I once ran a Planescape campaign with Burning Wheel that was moderately successful. The reason I feel it fits well is that it's a conceit of the Planescape setting that belief can change the nature of reality (something that never really had any rules support in its original incarnation), and Burning Wheel is a game that's all about fighting for beliefs.

Each of the outer planes had its own thematic belief that related to its nature, e.g. Pandemonium was "Life is meaningless and despair is the only answer." Anyone on a plane gets access to the plane's belief and can earn artha for acting on it (whether supporting it or fighting against it). Evolving beliefs allowed a player to add traits to the plane in question, slowly changing the nature of that plane, etc.

Falstaff knows what's up, and this is a really clever way of doing Planescape BW. Tying your game's themes into the artha cycle is always the way to go, and doing it so directly has a lot of potential. I will shamelessly steal this if I ever get to run Burning Planescape.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here's the perfect system for running Planescape: 2e AD&D.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arivia posted:

2E AD&D isn't even an adequate system for running 2E AD&D.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

2E AD&D isn't even an adequate system for running 2E AD&D.

QFT

I've run so many games of AD&D I sometimes see charts when I close my eyes and I still wouldn't go back to it if somebody said "Hey let's play D&D".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Burning Wheel is basically perfect for Planescape except that you'd need an infinite number of lifepaths and a couple of dozen emotional attributes and you wouldn't be able to get a PDF.

(Seriously, emotional attributes are perfect for how faction abilities work, right down to the point where maxing them out causes you to explode.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
As someone who has run and played Burning Wheel, it sounds like it will be good for "X", but, well, let's just say you need to loving invest in it to make it work. Like, it is dense and, yes, you do need a general idea of how ALL the skills work. No really. Like, even if you avoid most of the extended stuff like Combat, Debates, etc. as the game suggests, it is still impressively complex. As a guy who got in with a fairly like hack of d20 and then moved right into PbtA, Cortex, and other lighter story games, it is tough to absorb.

Like, it is actually a really cool game, but you need the right group, the right GM, and a lot of patience and willingness to memorize bullshit. As a guy studying for the CPA, I got enough huge textbooks full of rules written by people with little sense and a disconnect with the real world to memorize as is.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

As a guy who got in with a fairly like hack of d20 and then moved right into PbtA, Cortex, and other lighter story games, it is tough to absorb.

Now this is also a good suggestion.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Good suggestions everyone. I've been eyeing some unholy cobbled together version of Runequest/Stormbringer/Pendragon/BRP as well. Also, Heroquest 2.0

I want to keep the alignments as a setting element. I know everyone hates them and all but I think they're an essential part of the cosmology of Planescape. Their problem is when they're used as some sort of hard morality code that all characters have and must adhere to, which basically nobody does, it's just an expectation that hangs over head. They're good as cosmic allegiances though. Stormbringer's Allegiance mechanic would be useful, as would Pendragon's Passions system.

Arivia posted:

Friend Arivia, you know I love the works of the old masters, but search deep in your heart, you know this is not true.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 13, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's nothing wrong with Alignments... as they're presented and expected to be used in Planescape.

The problem with Alignments is they just don't fit in a lot of games and GMs and players didn't realize this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Alignment works only when you accept the existence of cosmic forces at war with the hope of converting as many souls to their side to aid in the final battle.

It'd work well in a Jeduo-Christian inspired fantasy world.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Alignment works in Planescape because Planescape is "let's build a universe around using all the weird aspects D&D has accumulated as cosmic law."

This is the main problem with exporting it to a different system.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

D&D has a lot of Christian thematics and Gygax was a Christian himself. Makes you wonder why there was a satanic panic in first place.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

Burning Wheel is basically perfect for Planescape except that you'd need an infinite number of lifepaths and a couple of dozen emotional attributes and you wouldn't be able to get a PDF.

(Seriously, emotional attributes are perfect for how faction abilities work, right down to the point where maxing them out causes you to explode.)

An alternative that others have used for Burning Planescape is to custom-build each character using the Monster Burner, which can actually be faster than normal character burning if you're familiar with the system and comfortable adjudicating it. Making custom emotional attributes would be more time-consuming, but agreed, they would be perfect.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

D&D has a lot of Christian thematics and Gygax was a Christian himself. Makes you wonder why there was a satanic panic in first place.

What if someone went further? What if we made a fantasy world which only takes inspiration from the bible? No European fantasy, only what's written in the bible.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alignment as descriptors of cosmic allegiances work fine, if you posit a world where Good, (not necessarily Nice) Evil, (not necessarily Puppy Kicking) Law and Chaos are all active existing forces. I think instead of just "I'm Lawful Neutral" something like a points system works better to demonstrate where a character's priorities lie and how much they've been affected by those forces. That also eliminates the "I'm Chaotic Neutral, time to act like a moron" or "I'm Lawful Good, I go berserk if another character is wearing a skull shirt" problem.

Covok posted:

Alignment works only when you accept the existence of cosmic forces at war with the hope of converting as many souls to their side to aid in the final battle.

Well gee, Planescape heavily features two factions of demons and devils at eternal war with each other over the nature of evil, a third demonic faction that profits and secretly manipulates it and a bunch of celestial factions that are interested in both perpetuating that war to keep the fiends distracted and the consequences of it from spilling out to the rest of creation so I think it might qualify.

Plutonis posted:

Because facts don't matter to fundamentalists. Look at Supply Side Jesus.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 13, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Plutonis posted:

There's good money in scaring the poo poo out of American Christian conservatives with the dumbest, most hackneyed poo poo you can think of.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Impermanent posted:

between Nethack and OD&D
What does that even mean?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Well gee, Planescape heavily features two factions of demons and devils at eternal war with each other over the nature of evil, a third demonic faction that profits and secretly manipulates it and a bunch of celestial factions that are interested in both perpetuating that war to keep the fiends distracted and the consequences of it from spilling out to the rest of creation so I think it might qualify.

I was responding to the person who said that alignment doesn't work well in most games because people don't consider its limits, not that planescape doesn't do alignment well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

What if someone went further? What if we made a fantasy world which only takes inspiration from the bible? No European fantasy, only what's written in the bible.

It's been done a few times before with varying degrees of sanity. If you really wanted to do it though the cycle of play would be quite different than your standard dungeon crawler. Your typical old testament adventure involved a very active God, liberal use of angels, etc.

edit: One other fun thing is that if you go by just the old testament/torah, there's no Devil. There's Satan, but he's more of a God's jackass buddy sort of character than an active force of evil. In fact his name merely translates to 'the accuser', and he basically just exists to play the other side of the argument when tricky theological questions come up (like why do bad things happen to good people).

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 13, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

I was responding to the person who said that alignment doesn't work well in most games because people don't consider its limits, not that planescape doesn't do alignment well.

Ah ok, makes sense.

Halloween Jack posted:

What does that even mean?

Think that means "You die a lot, but in a fun way"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

It's been done a few times before with varying degrees of sanity. If you really wanted to do it though the cycle of play would be quite different than your standard dungeon crawler. Your typical old testament adventure involved a very active God, liberal use of angels, etc.

Depends, new testament or old testament?

New testament would be a lot more walking, talking, being almost killed by X faction, and then being saved by God.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I watched Silence recently and a game where you are supposed to proselytize to people, avoid violence and be horribly martyred by the pagans would be cool as hell.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hell that's gonna be a game contest if I start one. Make a Religious Game that correctly follows the faith's tenets and teachings and doesn't suck.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Hell that's gonna be a game contest if I start one. Make a Religious Game that correctly follows the faith's tenets and teachings and doesn't suck.

Do it. Make nice rewards.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

Depends, new testament or old testament?

New testament would be a lot more walking, talking, being almost killed by X faction, and then being saved by God.

New testament would be extremely storygamey. You'd go on pilgrimages and do good works, get tested and persecuted, and if you stand strong in your faith you'd be rewarded in the Kingdom of Heaven (usually because you'd be dead). Characters would be humble but capable of great miracles.

Old testament would actually have more freewheeling adventure in it, since the BCE era Judaism believed in monsters, there were lots of wars, and solving your problems with violence was not only allowed, it was encouraged. Characters would be brash, even boastful, and while they'd rarely wield divine power they'd frequently have supernatural attributes like great strength or wisdom.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plutonis posted:

What if the religion I chose to gamify was Pastafarianism? :smaug:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lightning Lord posted:

What if the religion I chose to gamify was Pastafarianism? :smaug:

Then you'd have to spend a lot of time describing how to dress like a pirate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It'd be like Dogs in the Vineyard. It'd be the only game where dying would be a win condition as it saves you from the suffering of the Earth through martyrdom to the kingdom of heaven and a seat next to God.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

It'd be like Dogs in the Vineyard. It'd be the only game where dying would be a win condition as it saves you from the suffering of the Earth through martyrdom to the kingdom of heaven and a seat next to God.

Would resisting renouncing the faith whilst being flayed alive or burned by the Roman authorities be a constitution or willpower based roll?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Would resisting renouncing the faith whilst being flayed alive or burned by the Roman authorities be a constitution or willpower based roll?

Defentifly willpower as one would do so by holding on to the strength of their faith, but lets not limit ourselves to such a narrow view on how to design it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plutonis posted:

Neither, you'd spend Faith tokens you built up over the game to resist torture. If you didn't get enough tokens you'd renounce Jesus and burn eternally in the Lake of Fire.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dogs in the Vineyard is a Good Game and more games should use its style of conflict escalation. It's the one thing Unknown Armies sorely needs, but lacks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Impermanent posted:

Dogs in the Vineyard is a Good Game and more games should use its style of conflict escalation. It's the one thing Unknown Armies sorely needs, but lacks.

Hey, now we have a... gridiron?

That's, uh, sort of like a conflict escalation system

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Yeah, it's conflict system is pretty superb for rules-light play. It's my go-to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

gnome7 posted:

Goblin Quest is literally KamB but better, so go play that instead.

PLus, its writer went on to be involved in a little project known as.... uh... Paranoia

• Locked thread