Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

silvergoose posted:

You'd think!

I also probably suck at this game, and/or am missing some of the side skills that would make it easy, but we'll see.

Type /passives in chat to see how much of side points you've picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/silvergoose/characters

Not sure if that's the right link. Just the one character in league, Eylau.

I suspect I should finally stop using that armor and pyre? Dunno. Again, remember, I suck at this game.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

silvergoose posted:

You'd think!

I also probably suck at this game, and/or am missing some of the side skills that would make it easy, but we'll see.

Make sure you're using warlord's mark + blasphemy and have all the right gems in your staff such as life leech. Then just go on poe trade and look for 1 chaos rares with low end Int rolls and energy shield. That should be more than enough to start doing T1-3 maps as well as cruel lab as WI.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BobbyK posted:

Make sure you're using warlord's mark + blasphemy and have all the right gems in your staff such as life leech. Then just go on poe trade and look for 1 chaos rares with low end Int rolls and energy shield. That should be more than enough to start doing T1-3 maps as well as cruel lab as WI.

That was my plan, yup. Just lazy w.r.t. poe.trade.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Valle posted:

You do realize you get microtransactions at 24 and 36 challenges as well, right? Weapon effect and portal, respectively. It's on the challenges screen in-game.

I had actually not noticed that the graphics for the effects are actually there in the challenge tab!

Will probably not have a chance to get the other two effects, but I had fun getting the first 12 challenges done anyway.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

silvergoose posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/silvergoose/characters

Not sure if that's the right link. Just the one character in league, Eylau.

I suspect I should finally stop using that armor and pyre? Dunno. Again, remember, I suck at this game.

Your skill tree pathing is real real bad. On a quick inspection there's probably like a dozen +10 to stat nodes you could get rid of and put in good nodes instead if you path correctly

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

Your skill tree pathing is real real bad. On a quick inspection there's probably like a dozen +10 to stat nodes you could get rid of and put in good nodes instead if you path correctly

Weird. This is the pathing the guide suggests. Unless you mean the strength nodes I'm taking on my way down to unwavering stance.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I don't know about the tree, I've never looked at WI builds before, but I do know that WI generally wants tons of it so maybe the stat nodes are fine?

But going CI with a 125 es chest and helm (and no shield because 2h weapon) seems like a really, really bad idea.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The stat nodes are mostly fine, though you really want to grab the jewels that switch them to Int, that'll help a bunch.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You could probably double your es with a 1 chaos chest piece.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yup, as I said, I've been too lazy to poe trade but I'll probably get on that soon.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
What guide are you using?

Also, you would do yourself alot of good by getting some %es on tree as well, if you are going to stay as CI for now.

I would spec out of your pathing towards unwavering stance and grab these 10 nodes for ~100% es on tree [i put the names of the nodes in brackets so you can search for them]:

You can dip 2 points to the side for 20% es/14 flat below witch start/above scion start [foresight], 2 points to the hybrid nodes near both templar and shadow for 15% es and 8% res all [faith and steel/nullification], 4 points for 38% es if you branch towards witch start from [deep widsom], 15% and 10str from [widsom and blood] in the top right.

~~~~~~

It's really weird that your guide tells you to go CI early with no gear, and also get 0 ES nodes. Either your guide is really bad or you just didn't properly read it.

~~~~~~

vvv that area around elemental overlord does look really sketchy but I have no idea how far +10 int nodes go for WI so I didn't touch it. Even if that is a major fuckup (which it very well might be), you could still have a character that performs does quite fine despite those wasted nodes.

The bigger problem is that in those 70 levels you picked the node which sacrifices a big chuck of life and the ability to use healing potions in order to scale your ES investment. Which is zero, since you also have zero ES gear and zero ES on the tree.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 13, 2017

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

silvergoose posted:

Weird. This is the pathing the guide suggests. Unless you mean the strength nodes I'm taking on my way down to unwavering stance.

You've followed the guide, but I think it told you to respec some points at one point in there. Anyway, do the following: respec the last 6 points you've put down towards Unwavering Stance, and use 5 of those those to pick up the 5 Energy Shield nodes from your starting point up to Deep Wisdom, then the last point to pick up the +10 str node below Shamanistic Fury (just below Elemental Overload). This'll let you respec 3 of the 4 +10 int nodes just right of said +10 str node, keeping the link to Occultist's Dominion. Use the 3 points you now have to pick up Foresight and the 2 Energy Shield nodes on either side of Foresight to link your tree there. You can now respec the 4 +10 int nodes up and to the right of ELemental Overload, since they're no longer needed to connect your tree. If you now pick up the +10 int and +10 dex nodes just to the right of Deep Wisdom, you can remove the other 3 +10 int nodes up above Arcane Focus/Snowforged (and the +5% shield/10% recharge rate node if you want, I did) This should leave you with 5 (or 6) points, which you spend going down towards Unwavering Stance again.

You'll have lost some INT (and thus damage and %es), but you'll have picked up another 70% ES. Oh, and ditch the Pyre for something else. You've got Cold to Fire in your WI and Avatar of fire so that's 100% conversion right there. Get one with more resists and some ES and possibly INT if you're lucky!

Edit: It should end up looking like this.
Edit 2: Oh, and use some armorer's scraps to get your head, hands and boots to 20% quality, that'll boost your ES a bit as well. If you're a horder like most new players you should have plenty of the things.

Valle fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 13, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Valle posted:

You've followed the guide, but I think it told you to respec some points at one point in there. Anyway, do the following: respec the last 6 points you've put down towards Unwavering Stance, and use 5 of those those to pick up the 5 Energy Shield nodes from your starting point up to Deep Wisdom, then the last point to pick up the +10 str node below Shamanistic Fury (just below Elemental Overload). This'll let you respec 3 of the 4 +10 int nodes just right of said +10 str node, keeping the link to Occultist's Dominion. Use the 3 points you now have to pick up Foresight and the 2 Energy Shield nodes on either side of Foresight to link your tree there. You can now respec the 4 +10 int nodes up and to the right of ELemental Overload, since they're no longer needed to connect your tree. If you now pick up the +10 int and +10 dex nodes just to the right of Deep Wisdom, you can remove the other 3 +10 int nodes up above Arcane Focus/Snowforged (and the +5% shield/10% recharge rate node if you want, I did) This should leave you with 5 (or 6) points, which you spend going down towards Unwavering Stance again.

You'll have lost some INT (and thus damage and %es), but you'll have picked up another 70% ES. Oh, and ditch the Pyre for something else. You've got Cold to Fire in your WI and Avatar of fire so that's 100% conversion right there. Get one with more resists and some ES and possibly INT if you're lucky!

Sounds about right. Hmmm no I don't think it did, I'm pretty sure it just said "and now just meander slowly down to US and put str -> int jewels so it doesn't hurt as much".

Cool I'll take a look at those suggestions. Appreciated. Though really mostly I'm getting is "hey maybe you should stop being a lazy fucker and buy some cheap gear".

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
The most popular WI guide does, in fact, tell you go to CI very very early, because Icestorm is incredibly stupidly good at leeching life. Once you can manage about 3.5-4k ES (maybe even less), it can keep you alive up to early maps.

What I would recommend is replacing two of your mana flasks with granite and basalt (or bismuth, if you need ele resists) and getting the Brute force solution and Fertile Mind gems as soon as you possibly can. Those will up your ES pool significantly and give you more damage, thereby giving you more leech, just make sure you can afford to lose the DEX and STR though. I ran this same build as an inquisitor and found much better results using The Covenent robe while leveling because it's base 400 ES gave me a lot more to work with. I also didn't follow the suggested tree exactly because I ended up using Valyrium instead of Unwavering Stance for dealing with stun. I suspect the lack of stun immunity is probably getting you killed a lot too, so it may be worth removing some damage points to get Unwavering Stance now. If it's frustrating enough, drop the points from the Snowforged and Potency of Will clusters and use those 6 points to get UW right now, then use the next 6 points you get while leveling to refill them.

For reference, my character (ArchimedesDeathRay): https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/zxqv8/characters

Still plenty of room for improvement, but I'm over 10k ES and almost 1400 INT and don't really have trouble with much of anything I run into. Though I suspect guardians would wreck my face.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 13, 2017

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If he's following the tri-curse WI guide then I think that also assumes you have an astramentis to wear immediately which probably helps a ton. I followed that guide directly and it never seemed like a I had too low of ES. Your leech is insane so jumping from that over to a HOWA build was pretty brutal. WI really does let you skimp on ES it seems.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I did the tri-curse templar a few leagues back and switched to energy shield at the mid 30s, it was strong as hell while levelling.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why in gods name are you using 3 mana flasks (i am currently using none on my wi templar. just hit 80 last night)

you absolutely must buy the int conversion jewels

you should be working towards an astramentis as well after you pick up some cheap upgrades

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Awesome! posted:

why in gods name are you using 3 mana flasks (i am currently using none on my wi templar. just hit 80 last night)

you absolutely must buy the int conversion jewels

you should be working towards an astramentis as well after you pick up some cheap upgrades

laziness in replacing them with useful flasks

laziness in actually buying anything

:v:

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think i have a 500 or so ES chest lying around too, hit me up next time you're on and it's yours

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

BobbyK posted:

I think i have a 500 or so ES chest lying around too, hit me up next time you're on and it's yours

What he said. And get in the guild, there are no less than 4 vaal regalias with 350-400es in the guild stash, and probably some other stuff you could use.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

..btt posted:

Yeah, I did the tri-curse templar a few leagues back and switched to energy shield at the mid 30s, it was strong as hell while levelling.

Switched to ES mid 30s or switched to CI?

If you are saying you switched to CI in mid 30s, without leveling gear, and that it was a very easy experience...I would be surprised. I can get through the game plenty fast enough, even with almost no life on tree, no life on gear, or in a day1/ssf settting, but doing all of that without life flasks and subjecting yourself to the stun penalty? That doesn't really sound like a fun time. I'm sure it's doable but it seems really sketchy to call that "strong as hell". Going CI before you should have a decent amount of flat ES between your chest/helm/shield (which requires levels), a leveled discipline (which requires levels), and some ES nodes (when you usually want to get some damage on the tree to start)...I don't see what you gain by going CI early, giving up ~1k free life and access to instant flasks.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 13, 2017

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't switch until a lot later than the guide suggests, because I just didn't want to be stunlocked forever, but you pretty much can and icestorm with life leech will indeed keep you alive in a lot of cases.

It's not a bad guide, but the creator claims it's HC viable as is and I just don't see it.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The pathing is fine if you have halfway decent equipment. Get a 500ES chest, Doedre's Scorn or The Gull Helmet, Bated Breath Belt (until you can afford a crystal one) and fix your resists with 2 rings and an amulet while you save up for Astramentis. Also get rid of all 3 of your mana flasks. You have Warlord's Mark to leech mana, you don't need a flask.

That should carry you through low maps and Merc Lab.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I went into CI early like it suggested and apart from dying because I'm stupid, dumb, and undergeared, it was pretty good.

I guess I can do things like "join the guild" and "not be a pitiful loner".

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, join the guild. The guild stash is full of gear that'll help you get farther.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
whens beta

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MannersPlease posted:

If you are saying you switched to CI in mid 30s, without leveling gear, and that it was a very easy experience...I would be surprised. I can get through the game plenty fast enough, even with almost no life on tree, no life on gear, or in a day1/ssf settting, but doing all of that without life flasks and subjecting yourself to the stun penalty? That doesn't really sound like a fun time. I'm sure it's doable but it seems really sketchy to call that "strong as hell". Going CI before you should have a decent amount of flat ES between your chest/helm/shield (which requires levels), a leveled discipline (which requires levels), and some ES nodes (when you usually want to get some damage on the tree to start)...I don't see what you gain by going CI early, giving up ~1k free life and access to instant flasks.

its really not that bad since it is so extreme with the int stacking so you end up with a decent es pool off of barely anything on gear. stun can be fairly annoying but its not that bad since everything in the ice storm is getting stunned too and you are always leeching.

i did die a few times to stupid poo poo though so maybe not as hc viable as the author would suggest. when i did cruel lab i just straight up face tanked izaro though which i usually cant do on life builds (probably due to no vaal pact)

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 13, 2017

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Yeah my first real dude I played was WI and I face tanked cruel Izaro before I even really knew anything about lab and thought it was incredibly easy. Every subsequent character life or CI has struggled at least a bit against him. Whispering Ice build is just strong seems like.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Holyshoot posted:

whens beta

Every time you look in the mirror, cuck

whydirt fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 13, 2017

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

MannersPlease posted:

I followed this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1749520

So went CI at 33ish. It wasn't a league starter and I was playing SC, but I don't recall dying until I was mapping. Levelling was fast and easy compared to most other builds I've played.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

Is this worth anything? Getting rather conflicting results from poe.trade

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

It's not the greatest it could be, but adding an arrow with usable stats means you shouldn't take a pittance for it. It definitely has some value.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Quivers have to be basically perfect to sell

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

..btt posted:

I followed this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1749520

So went CI at 33ish. It wasn't a league starter and I was playing SC, but I don't recall dying until I was mapping. Levelling was fast and easy compared to most other builds I've played.

Fair enough. I know I get to lakes with less than 2k life with firestorm so I guess it would be just as fine with ES and icestorm.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's gonna be really hard to sell that quiver over a +1 arrow Drillneck.

Which is only worth like 1-1.5 ex.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Started playing this yesterday & it seems like a modern version of Diablo 2. In that same vein it appears that skill choices are semi-permanent, so it's very possible to screw up a character.

I watched the tutorial videos in the topic post, but most of it went over my head while I started to grasp the core mechanics. Just popping in here to see if y'all have any experience with Duelists as that is the exile I chose. Currently moving towards 2-handers since the strength portion of the grid looks appealing with Life-Leech & paying for abilities with Life (although I saw there's a weapon that lets you use melee skills without paying or something).

Thanks y'all

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

myDad posted:

Started playing this yesterday & it seems like a modern version of Diablo 2. In that same vein it appears that skill choices are semi-permanent, so it's very possible to screw up a character.

I watched the tutorial videos in the topic post, but most of it went over my head while I started to grasp the core mechanics. Just popping in here to see if y'all have any experience with Duelists as that is the exile I chose. Currently moving towards 2-handers since the strength portion of the grid looks appealing with Life-Leech & paying for abilities with Life (although I saw there's a weapon that lets you use melee skills without paying or something).

Thanks y'all

If you don't wanna restart your character at some point when flaws with it become evident, follow a build guide. Duelist pretty much never needs blood magic because he's got that mixed life/mana leech cluster right below (and to the right) of his starting area. Take a lot of life passives. Join the goon guild if there's room, so you can get free poo poo and ask for advice while playing (on that note, never go in Global or Trade chat and doubly never ask the subhumans that reside in them for build advice).

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
A friend just mentioned he wants to get back into the game. He is looking at going a damage build or so. What is a good aura build that will boost his characters damage/life/res/etc but is not a bore to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fixit posted:

A friend just mentioned he wants to get back into the game. He is looking at going a damage build or so. What is a good aura build that will boost his characters damage/life/res/etc but is not a bore to play?

SRS Auramancer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1816896/

It's too active for me, turns out i hate clicking multiple buttons.

• Locked thread