Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

If the DVD is unopened and you know what store it's from, just take it in and get store credit. Use that to buy the Blu
They are unopened, but I have no idea where they were purchased from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Two things

1) LEGO Batman owned hard; it's great to look at, hilarious and treats the Batman universe with a ton of respect and love. The most surprising performance was actually Zack Galafinakis as the Joker because I was convinced the entire time it was Patton Oswalt but basically everyone is great especially Will Arnett
who is one of my favourite actors.

2) Pocahontas is boring as gently caress. Well animated and Savages is pretty great but it doesn't have much going for it.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I agree about Pocahontas, but yeah, the whole Savages scene is one of my absolute top animated scenes in anything ever.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just got my leave approved for September-October, so my boyfriend and I are going to Japan for 5 weeks :) I haven't been since high school, when I did a school exchange thing in a cute little town in Aomori (but I also got to travel around a bit to the major cities)

Animation thread! Apart from the Ghibli museum, Disneyland/sea and the massive Disney stores in Tokyo, what would you recommend I do to geek out about animation while I'm there?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I just got my leave approved for September-October, so my boyfriend and I are going to Japan for 5 weeks :) I haven't been since high school, when I did a school exchange thing in a cute little town in Aomori (but I also got to travel around a bit to the major cities)

Animation thread! Apart from the Ghibli museum, Disneyland/sea and the massive Disney stores in Tokyo, what would you recommend I do to geek out about animation while I'm there?

If you're in/around Nagoya visit a bar called Critical Hit and tell Alex I sent ya! It's a video game bar, but that guy loves cartoons and is the coolest dude in the world.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

My sister was in Japan earlier this year but sadly she couldn't get tickets (or something) for the Ghibli museum. She did however get me an adorable plush catbus

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Go see the town Yuri (from 'On Ice') is from is based on? Karatsu in Saga prefecture. Your enjoyment is kinda dependent on if you've seen YOI. I recommend it, it's super gay.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hedrigall posted:

Kyoto maybe?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Animation fans visiting Japan really should check out Akihabara, even if just to get an impression of what it's like to live in a society that places a really high value on animaiton and its cultural impact. This poo poo is crazy:

quote:

The influence of otaku culture has shaped Akihabara's businesses and buildings to reflect the interests of otaku and gained the district worldwide fame for its distinctive imagery. Akihabara tries to create an atmosphere as close as possible to the game and anime worlds of customers' interest. The streets of Akihabara are covered with anime and manga icons, and cosplayers line the sidewalks handing out advertisements, especially for maid cafés.

If that's not enough manga/anime for you then there's also Tokyo Character Street in Tokyo Station, Nakano Broadway and a bunch of other places.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Visit Kyoto, go to a hot spring resort up in the mountains, avoid the restaurants that wont serve you if you arent Japanese they arent that good anyway, pachinko parlours are gross and not worth your time, and visit all the shrines and imperial temples you can. Suntory Cafe Au Lait should be your breakfast ritual.

If you want to be dumbfounded, go catch an AKB48 show, a pop group with 48 members none of whom play an instrument. Theres actually more than 48 members, there are three full sets of 48 but a show consists of only one set of 48.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Somehow this turned into general travel advice but thanks everyone :3

Here is a gift in return (which I stole from reddit):

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

:laugh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hedrigall posted:

I mean Kyoto's good for Kyoto Animation, and it's also background scenery reference to a lot of great shows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hedrigall posted:

I don't get it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Worse, it started raining at this exact moment.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't get it.
Breath of the Wild. :thejoke:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't get it.

It's a stamina meter from videogames superimposed; when the meter runs out he'll fall.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

It's a stamina meter from videogames superimposed; when the meter runs out he'll fall.

Huh, I'd just assumed it was a quicktime event.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
have you ever woken up and just felt like an idiot. that's the situation in which i find myself. holy hell, i think. i'm an idiot. i am a sphere of faceless flesh with vestigial nub limbs and when i hit a downward slope i just can't stop rolling. what happens to the people in my path? well, that remains to be discovered...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Avshalom posted:

have you ever woken up and just felt like an idiot. that's the situation in which i find myself. holy hell, i think. i'm an idiot. i am a sphere of faceless flesh with vestigial nub limbs and when i hit a downward slope i just can't stop rolling. what happens to the people in my path? well, that remains to be discovered...

And here's Avshalom to demonstrate squash, stretch and self-loathing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Has anyone posted this pilot? It's absolutely fantastic: https://youtu.be/idT98H8TK-U

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Raserys posted:

Has anyone posted this pilot? It's absolutely fantastic: https://youtu.be/idT98H8TK-U

Aww, that's really lovely. The music was great and I'd love to see more.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Raserys posted:

3rd'ing that this is awesome. If it is a pilot then honestly I'm not sure how it'll play as a series but I'd watch it for a bit at least.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh that's really nice, neat art style, the dialogue's really natural

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Raserys posted:

This is really sweet and beautiful :kiddo:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Pilot probably isn't the right word, I just said the first thing that came to mind. Probably not a series, but I'd sure watch it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Raserys posted:

Pilot probably isn't the right word, I just said the first thing that came to mind. Probably not a series, but I'd sure watch it.

Yeah, someone was saying that it's actually been around a while. It was circulating around the film circuit and just recently got on the net. It would be awesome if they made a show based on it but that seems very unlikely.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Raserys posted:

that was so cute :kimchi:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I assume this has been posted too. Another CN pilot, Infinity Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6kfVWv01k

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've got True To Your Heart from Mulan stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyt6Emkv3iY

What's everyone's favourite pop song from an animated movie? :3:

I'm dumb and like Try Everything by Shakira. I gotta say the Powerline songs from A Goofy Movie are way up there for me too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I assume this has been posted too. Another CN pilot, Infinity Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6kfVWv01k

Corgis were cute but the girl and the robots were very annoying; I hope they never make it home :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I thought the robots were a bit too Gir-like.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

What's everyone's favourite pop song from an animated movie? :3:
Probably "Dare to Be Stupid".

I haven't even watched Transformers: The Movie, I just like Weird Al.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Corgis were cute but the girl and the robots were very annoying; I hope they never make it home :colbert:

Yeah a friend of mine worked on this pilot so I wouldn't say anything critical of it, but some changes would have to be made for me to follow and enjoy this property if it were picked up.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I wanted to talk about gay cartoons for a second and I always wanna talk about gay cartoons and there aren't enough gay cartoons. Let's talk about gay cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC11j6_J7ME

EDIT: I also just watched that CN short about the monster kid that was shared here and am in love with it. I could totally see a whole show about a kid who's different and just doesn't let that get in the way. It has a very Steven Universe message of just be friends with everyone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

I wanted to talk about gay cartoons for a second and I always wanna talk about gay cartoons and there aren't enough gay cartoons. Let's talk about gay cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC11j6_J7ME

EDIT: I also just watched that CN short about the monster kid that was shared here and am in love with it. I could totally see a whole show about a kid who's different and just doesn't let that get in the way. It has a very Steven Universe message of just be friends with everyone.

Ummature, Lexington from Gargoyles was written gay. Check it out.

(Gargoyles being another show that was big on diversity, with many PoC characters, including the lead, and characters with disabilities.)

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 14, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I vaguely recall that James from Pokémon was played gay, even if he wasn't particularly written that way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

I vaguely recall that James from Pokémon was played gay, even if he wasn't particularly written that way.

He was a crossdressing androgynous prettyboy from day one, if anything they had to tone him down from the original script for the American release of the show.

Pokemon_censorship_James_with_giant_fake_hooters.jpg

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Unmature posted:

Buddy Thunderstruck is pretty explicitly coded as gay.

In fact, I think I could set up a convincing argument that Buddy Thunderstruck is, in fact, operating from the perspective and worldview of a gay adolescent. There is the near total exclusion of women, and in their roles they are completely desexualized, even put at a distance or in roles where they could not even be sexualized as a matter of course. The economy is hazy at best, with jobs and occupations occupying roles in the hazy indistinct understanding of the young. There is, of course, the requisite fantasy elements like super-charged truck racing and insane stunts and many, many, many explosions.

This could, of course, just point to 'male adolescent' in general if not for the fact that male-male interactions are not just the primary focus, but are seen through a highly emotional lens that is not overtly sexual, but indicative of desire and romance.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 14, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I didn't know about the Gargoyles thing, but someone just mentioned that in the video comments too.

I keep forgetting to watch Buddy Thunderstruck! I really need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Unmature posted:

I didn't know about the Gargoyles thing, but someone just mentioned that in the video comments too.

I keep forgetting to watch Buddy Thunderstruck! I really need to.

Do it.

You'll be a fan, trust me.