Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

gohuskies posted:

It would be the craziest thing if the plot flips around to being about stolen DVD players like in TF&TF 1.

When you think about it, the bulk of F&F5 was the result of a stolen DVD player. At least I assume that drug map was also a DVD player, it looked like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

New footage from F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG9yyzW-XQ8

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Beccamford/status/847182208657874945

https://twitter.com/GermainLussier/status/847182720018952194

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/status/847183751360659456

https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/847182486924697600

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/847182350207270912

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/847181823117475840

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ever since the beginning (5), The Rock has been saying he's been disappointed with Vin Diesel. Wonder when it'll be more than the house fulls of money the movies bring in can cover for.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really wonder what their beef is about. They seem like really cool people, maybe they just couldn't click. I can imagine Diesel feeling pretty threatened by having The Rock join the cast.

I'm kinda impressed that they'e kept Statham in the mix. He's such a great presence and makes for a perfect foil to the the FF. I'd imagined he was only going to dip in for one installment.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Statham needs this franchise since it seems doubtful we'll ever see Crank3d.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Rock is a driven high octane dude who works hard and has an ego with jokes of being cocaine fueled while Vin seems more like a laid back geeky nerdy dude who can take it easy and the Rock had higher expectations of him so maybe they didn't click.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Rock was invited to Vin Diesel's D&D game and was insulted when Vin just assumed he would be playing a half-orc berserker. The Rock walked away with a tear in his eye, keeping the halfling bard sheet tucked in his pocket. "These are not the right kind of adventurers for the both of us, Gillion the Valiant", he whispered.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 30, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yeah Rock's instagram feed is all about being a really cool rear end in a top hat. Vin Diesel's is all about FAMILY

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mierenneuker posted:

The Rock was invited to Vin Diesel's D&D game and was insulted when Vin just assumed he would be playing a half-orc berserker. The Rock walked away with a tear in his eye, keeping the halfling bard sheet tucked in his pocket. "These are not the right kind of adventurers for the both of us, Gillion the Valiant", he whispered.

"Oh, so Heather gets to be a dark elf rogue but you typecast me? That's how it's gonna be, huh?" *lifts up an armoire over his head and breaks it in half*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wish they'd just eat some chicken, drink some Coronas (label facing camera) and predator handshake all the drama away.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Gatts posted:

The Rock is a driven high octane dude who works hard and has an ego with jokes of being cocaine fueled while Vin seems more like a laid back geeky nerdy dude who can take it easy and the Rock had higher expectations of him so maybe they didn't click.

This is how it's seemed to me. Diesel does things a certain way that probably comes across as unprofessional in most environments but is probably fine with F&F because he's top dog, producer, he's been there forever, and everybody's so tight it's just like "yeah, that's just how he is". Pair that with the Rock who's such an insane regimented professional, used to being big man on campus, and probably (rightfully) feels like he now has just as much importance to this franchise's success owing to his box office draw, there's bound to be tension. And that's all on top of it being two swole alpha-male dudes who aren't going to bend to one another in the first place

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mandrel posted:

This is how it's seemed to me. Diesel does things a certain way that probably comes across as unprofessional in most environments but is probably fine with F&F because he's top dog, producer, he's been there forever, and everybody's so tight it's just like "yeah, that's just how he is". Pair that with the Rock who's such an insane regimented professional, used to being big man on campus, and probably (rightfully) feels like he now has just as much importance to this franchise's success owing to his box office draw, there's bound to be tension. And that's all on top of it being two swole alpha-male dudes who aren't going to bend to one another in the first place

Also because having a big rivalry is good press

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Also because having a big rivalry is good press

This too. Next film going to be promoted like Thrilla in Manilla.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Looks like number 8 is nearly upon us. One of the cinemas in my city has a wealth of options to enjoy it:
- On Tuesday you've got the midnight premiere (so technically it is on Wednesday).
- You can also go for the double bill of 7 and 8.
- Or you could spend your entire Tuesday evening and night on the F&F marathon. Starts at 16:15, features 5, 6, 7 & 8 :rice:
- ...and if you are a bit more patient, here is Wednesday's schedule for 8.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 10, 2017

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just saw an advance screening - it was pretty amazing. I have a few thoughts about plot and characterization from earlier movies, but that's not really the point. It was fun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1im1Q5iJ5i4

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

I just saw the movie and I think the scenes with Statham were probably my favourite parts of the film, I hope they bring him back again

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bring back Car Discussion With Sung Kang.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

This is completely goofy. Hundreds of remote controlled cars as a swarming weapon? Why the gently caress not? This is exactly where the series has been headed, so I ain't even mad.

How many more movies until we get F&F... IN SPACE!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Or a good Transporter movie. Dude's criminally underused :\

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Where is FF9 with Hot Rod Bumble Bee and Prme taking on Megatron leading Cobra? The climax is Vin in Hot Rod chasing down Scroponok Fortress.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ending spoiler:
it was obvious as hell as soon as that gal said "I thought his father should name him" that the kid would be named Brian but...
gently caress, it totally got to me.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

the escape goat posted:

ending spoiler:
it was obvious as hell as soon as that gal said "I thought his father should name him" that the kid would be named Brian but...
gently caress, it totally got to me.

It's nice but wouldn't it make more sense if brian was actually... dead? like isn't it a bit wierd to name your baby after your perfectly alive and well friend who is just living somewhere else entirely happy with his kids and Mia? I mean it's one thing if brian is effectively "dead" in the films without explicitly saying as much, but that's not the case because earlier they specifically said "no let's leave brian out of this". So it's a bit of a half-and-half situation. Understandable but still.

And I also enjoyed statham and could even accept his reasons for working with the team and could even accept Dom turning to him out of desperation to save his baby... but why at the end does he have to laugh and joke it up with him? the guy KILLED HAN! how would Han feel about the guy who killed him joking around with Dom and his old team like that? We go from "i'll put him in his grave" from the last movie to best friends laughing together at the end of this? Doesn't quite feel right.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

And I also enjoyed statham and could even accept his reasons for working with the team and could even accept Dom turning to him out of desperation to save his baby... but why at the end does he have to laugh and joke it up with him? the guy KILLED HAN! how would Han feel about the guy who killed him joking around with Dom and his old team like that? We go from "i'll put him in his grave" from the last movie to best friends laughing together at the end of this? Doesn't quite feel right.
I do agree to this. It was my main complaint about the movie. I kind of think Han might be back in the next movie. Apparently the writer of 9 was thinking about him. I don't know how reliable this is, but I hope very.

http://screenrant.com/fast-furious-9-han-return-writer-sung-kang/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fritzler posted:

I do agree to this. It was my main complaint about the movie. I kind of think Han might be back in the next movie. Apparently the writer of 9 was thinking about him. I don't know how reliable this is, but I hope very.

http://screenrant.com/fast-furious-9-han-return-writer-sung-kang/

gently caress it why not.

Speculation: his brain is implanted in a car. Han will be HAN and the gang will have to fight to bring back a stolen KITT and KARR

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I arrived early at the cinema and this song was playing just before the ads & trailers started, so now I feel like reminding you all that it exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKwTBs1F74

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey I was watching tv last night and F8 trailer showed up that was animated. Does anyone have a link to it? I can't find it online :(

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Was there an after credits stinger??? I hung around as long as I could but the staff were itching to get in there and start cleaning.

This was probably the worst of the "The Rock" F&F films for me and by that I mean it was still fun as hell but didn't quite reach the heights of 5,6 or 7.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

My second/third favorite after the original. Liked it as much as 5.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
The worst one in the series for me

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Well the Star Trek rule still applies for me: even ones are weaker. 5 reigns supreme but this one is only a lil better than 2/4.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gently caress THAT RULED

Best one in the series by far. It's like they took all the best stuff from the previous movies in the series and threw it in a pot with the best stuff from the James Bond movies, the Crank movies and The Raid. It was somehow simultaneously the funniest, darkest and most violent one in the whole series. I already wanna see it again.

Goddamn, that blew away every expectation I had :allears:

Gaz2k21 posted:

Was there an after credits stinger??? I hung around as long as I could but the staff were itching to get in there and start cleaning.

This was probably the worst of the "The Rock" F&F films for me and by that I mean it was still fun as hell but didn't quite reach the heights of 5,6 or 7.

No post-credits scene and you're dead wrong because The Rock gave his finest performance in the entire series in this one.

e: That addition to the cast had me audibly yell out "HELL YES" hahahahaha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 14, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Helen Mirren!

The crowd went nuts for the Jason Statham & Luke Evans reveal, it was obvious that it was coming, but it was so good to see it happen. They also went nuts for Don Omar, but that might be because I'm in South Texas and he's bigish here.
I think the first and second acts weren't very good, but the third act just blew it all away and wrapped it up well enough. I'm going to have to see it again next week, but I'm thinking it's probably 3rd or 4th overall.

I did laugh a bit at the baby reveal because during the baby talk with Letty I was saying to myself, Dom is not the type of guy who would wear a rubber so how have they not even had a close call?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love that the franchise is at the point where an important heist (the EMP) can be mostly skipped over because it's just assumed the team can pull it off.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A scene from Fast Nine:

"We have to work with Cipher. She's now... family."
"Did she kill the mother of your son?"
(pause) "anyway..."

But yeah, movie ruled. Surprised how much they turned the Shaws into anti-heroes, and then a flat-out heroes without someone explicitly bringing up what happened to Han and Giselle.

So what's the time frame between 6, 3, 7, and 8 then? Because of the ___________baby________, I think they decided they all happened way closer to each other than I previously assumed. The baby couldn't have been more than a year old.

According to Wikipedia, Lucas Black was almost in this movie, but scheduling conflicts. I wished Don Omar and Tego Calderon weren't listed in the opening credits. A total surprise cameo would have been more awesome.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

So what's the time frame between 6, 3, 7, and 8 then? Because of the ___________baby________, I think they decided they all happened way closer to each other than I previously assumed. The baby couldn't have been more than a year old.

There's also the fact that Brian and Mia's kid has grown a bit between 6 and 7 and is attending pre school of some sort... how long did Statham wait before deciding to avenge his brother

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Echo Chamber posted:

A scene from Fast Nine:

"We have to work with Cipher. She's now... family."
"Did she kill the mother of your son?"
(pause) "anyway..."

But yeah, movie ruled. Surprised how much they turned the Shaws into anti-heroes, and then a flat-out heroes without someone explicitly bringing up what happened to Han and Giselle.

According to Wikipedia, Lucas Black was almost in this movie, but scheduling conflicts. I wished Don Omar and Tego Calderon weren't listed in the opening credits. A total surprise cameo would have been more awesome.

Just got back.

Cipher already said that she has no attachments and is someone who operates on a completely different wavelength than Dom does.

Deckard Shaw actually was shown to care even from his (awesome) intro at the hospital that he cares about his family a bunch.

I feel like they justified Shaw's turn well enough. I mean that entire first scene and conversations with cipher about the guy he raced told you that he is willing to forgive and break bread so long as you earn his respect. It was also implied that Dom respected the hell out of Shaw the older because of just how much he cared about his brother. Shaw saved his son, and was the reason the mission was a success. So they are willing to be allies.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
But he killed Han! killed him! one of the family. Remember when Dom said there is nothing more important than the people in this room, and who was in the room at the time? That's right, Han. It all would have been acceptable though except for the smiling and laughing with him at the end. there should still have been some tension there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wandle Cax posted:

But he killed Han! killed him! one of the family. Remember when Dom said there is nothing more important than the people in this room, and who was in the room at the time? That's right, Han. It all would have been acceptable though except for the smiling and laughing with him at the end. there should still have been some tension there.

Him and Owen literally saved his Son when they didn't have to keep up their end of the Bargain at all. It was nothing but blind faith and respect. The Shaw's could have ghosted been free and let Cipher win.
And he was going after Han and the Family because they almost killed his brother.

Just like Dom was going to let that dude take his nephew's car because just like a deal's a deal. Sometimes in the situation that Han got killed in you just charge it to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Clearly the next movie will have Cypher bringing Cyber Han back as a villain.

What was the song in the jail break scene?

• Locked thread