Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The Titanic had some truly amazing displays of dignity during the evacuation.

Benjamin Guggenheim assisted in the evacuation, dressed in a suit, stated "We've dressed up in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen", and went to have a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm choosing to believe that it's nothing to do with the scarcity of proper fresh vegetables on Mars, and that Bobby just really loving loves cucumber.

I initially took it as she ate one in case they were poisoned.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

Good point, I guess it's easier to let a non-threatening frigate slip through when you're facing down an entire fleet of enemy battleships.

I probably should have seen it coming, but Errinwright's betrayal was pretty :aaa:. They did a nice job of drawing out how humbled and vulnerable he pretended to be.

I dont think errinwright was pretending. From his point of view his life is basically over once it goes to the courts, so he doesn't exactly have anything to lose by betraying avasarala. This is basically his last ditch attempt at trying to salvage the situation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:smugbird:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Subyng posted:

I dont think errinwright was pretending. From his point of view his life is basically over once it goes to the courts, so he doesn't exactly have anything to lose by betraying avasarala. This is basically his last ditch attempt at trying to salvage the situation.

The turning/flip point was when she told him she was meeting with Mao. He got a bit jelly.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

What was errinwright writing in that letter we saw briefly? I didn't get a good look at it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrWilderheap posted:

What was errinwright writing in that letter we saw briefly? I didn't get a good look at it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress cursive, it should have died out by this point in the future

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s writing on real paper with a fountain pen.

In the opening scene he used a double‐edge safety razor of the sort that fell out of favour circa 1950.

They’re affectations.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 14, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Errinwright is a hipster

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Fun Fact: Double-edge safety razors are superior in every way.

I bought my razor and all my blades through Amazon.

Since August 17, 2010, I've spent this much on them: $62.80

Add in the $1 cans of Barbasol and I'm probably spending $15/year to shave a few times a week with a razor that'll last for decades and looks like this --

Edit: I care because disposable razors are a loving con.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 14, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

We got a "coyo" and a "sasa ke" this episode. :neckbeard:

This season is continuing its hot streak. Aside from all the other highlights mentioned, I liked Avasarala being out of her element for once during the launch. It was a nice humanizing touch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Fun Fact: Double-edge safety razors are superior in every way.

I bought my razor and all my blades through Amazon.

Since August 17, 2010, I've spent this much on them: $62.80

Add in the $1 cans of Barbasol and I'm probably spending $15/year to shave a few times a week with a razor that'll last for decades and looks like this --

Edit: I care because disposable razors are a loving con.

There it is. When that scene came on, I just KNEW someone would barge in to extoll the virtues of safety razors and how the disposable and cartridge razors are a con.

Took longer than I thought to tell the truth.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hey, those two brought it up. I'm just trying to clarify that they are the superior product. Unless you're using Dollar Shave Club, you're getting ripped off on disposables for no reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lol if you don’t use a straight razor like Josephus Miller, PBUH.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

We got a "coyo" and a "sasa ke" this episode. :neckbeard:

This season is continuing its hot streak. Aside from all the other highlights mentioned, I liked Avasarala being out of her element for once during the launch. It was a nice humanizing touch.

Yeah frankly I think Avasarala got played big time.

She basically told a wounded very powerful man to go walk into a big freaking trap that will destroy his career, and then left the planet.

Not the smartest look but an incredibly realistic flaw that stems directly from her character motivations; at the end of the day Avasarala honestly believes that having justice be done and your sins resolved is a self-motivating value. She's also distracted by her love for Earth and the threat Pierre-Jules Mao directly poses to humanity.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Smiling Jack posted:

The Titanic had some truly amazing displays of dignity during the evacuation.

Benjamin Guggenheim assisted in the evacuation, dressed in a suit, stated "We've dressed up in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen", and went to have a drink.

Meanwhile all of the poorer people were locked below deck to drown.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Did this show get renewed yet or are we expecting :rip:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Meanwhile all of the poorer people were locked below deck to drown.

Note my choice of the word "some"

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, they're working on season 3 now.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Smiling Jack posted:

Note my choice of the word "some"

I wasn't really meaning to say that you were totally wrong, just that a few decent people doesn't really overshadow how most were thrown under the bus with literally 0 fucks given.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

Two more seasons.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

I wasn't really meaning to say that you were totally wrong, just that a few decent people doesn't really overshadow how most were thrown under the bus with literally 0 fucks given.

The only reason people even care about Titanic is that it had a bunch of rich people on board which shows how little things have changed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bates posted:

The only reason people even care about Titanic is that it had a bunch of rich people on board which shows how little things have changed.

More than three times as many people died when the Nazis’ film stand‐in ship (which was at that time a floating concentration camp) sank as on the actual RMS Titanic, but in WWII five thousand people were killed every five hours, so it hardly stands out.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 14, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Platystemon posted:

More than three times as many people died when the Nazis’ film stand‐in ship sank as on the actual RMS Titanic, but in WWII five thousand people were killed every fire hours, so it hardly stands out.

I can't believe I either never knew about this or forgot. This is awful and ironic.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The refugee plotline was legitimately moving, even though I wonder if The 100 did it better. (Seriously, season 1 and 2 of that show are underrated gems.) Surprised whenever I see complaints about Naomi or her actor.

On a note about character, I felt like they finally let loose the Avasarala from the books in this ep.

Downside though - Holden is an awful black hole of charisma and the weakest link in the show. :smith: The constant growl-mumbling that makes a lot of people want subtitles (I had to rewind his response to Alex about the blockade) doesn't help, but I'm reluctant to blame Steven Strait who seems like a nice man and a competent actor, when it might be the fault of the material.

Holden has PTSD, has been through the ringer, has the lives of the crew on his shoulders, lost an influential friend, and despite his desire to Do The Right Thing he's constantly torn between brutal decisions - he outright murdered a bunch of innocent doctors because of a misunderstanding and because he thought the end would justify the means (and in the end, it turned out it would've made no diference anyway because Eros moved and the governments noticed anyway!) - now he's losing personal relationships over his Ahab complex.

This is a TON of juicy character meat for a performance, and I don't know if it's the fact the episodes don't give him room to breathe and feel and grieve, or that Steven Strait and his Jon Snow vibe just lacks that certain something to make you feel that emotion, but it sucks. Holden should be the most compelling character on TV right now and instead he's the most boring.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VagueRant posted:

This is a TON of juicy character meat for a performance, and I don't know if it's the fact the episodes don't give him room to breathe and feel and grieve, or that Steven Strait and his Jon Snow vibe just lacks that certain something to make you feel that emotion, but it sucks. Holden should be the most compelling character on TV right now and instead he's the most boring.

Absolutely.

This last episode it felt like Holden was teetering on the edge of becoming an incredible character. But it ended up as nothing more than:

quote:

HOLDEN (chews scenery): We're not turning back!

I really think the fault is in the direction and dialog. I feel if his obsession was dialed back a couple clicks back from FULL-ON-AHAB and there were more quiet moments for Holden he would be one of the most compelling characters on this show.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nah, there's really not much compelling about him at all. He feels like more of an archetype than a character. Pity.

Good thing there are a lot of other good characters to carry the show.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's exactly the same way in the books. Holden in the show is at least a little funny-looking, so you can view him as a slightly pitiful puppy.

I think he was particularly poorly written this episode. I can buy his obsessive Ahab complex, but not how it's expressed. Holden's always been about overthinking and rationalizing - he shouldn't be drat THE TORPEDOES FULL SPEED AHEAD, he should acknowledge Alex's warnings, talk out a reason to ignore him, and go forward anyway.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I have zero attachment towards Holden at all, I dont know if hes just a bad actor or its a badly written character, on the other hand i was really disappointed that Frank/Thomas Jane was given the martyr role and only ended up being in like 6 episodes

I like Amos more than Holden

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Holden is definitely the weakest link, both in the show and the books. I feel like he's a pretty generic archetype for the other real characters to revolve around, and a sock puppet for the authors whenever they need him to initiate plot device or whatever instead of a person with his own motivations.

Also, Amos is the best.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Orange Red Bull posted:

I like Amos more than Holden

Everyone likes Amos more than Holden.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why was there a hole in the ship?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Probably just suffered some damage piloting around the egg dome no big deal

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Two more seasons.

Season 4 was confirmed too?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The very vaguest and least important book spoilers, in the name of making fun of Holden

When a major humanitarian and political crisis breaks out he decides the best way he can help is by starting a vlog

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Snuffman posted:

Season 4 was confirmed too?

Not officially I think, but someone earlier in the thread said that they're filming season 3 and 4 back-to-back, so effectively it's greenlit.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Without Holden being Holden we wouldn't have moments like Alex's "Here we go again" when Holden tells him to open a channel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Holden was originally the party face, but his player got a job across the country.

Now the he’s a DMPC and is used for railroading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Without Holden being Holden we wouldn't have moments like Alex's "Here we go again" when Holden tells him to open a channel.

Best laugh in the whole season had to be the bit when he confesses to the crew that he's banging Naomi

• Locked thread