Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

The Lord of Hats posted:

Post 5th palace: Does Mementos still open up further despite public support dropping like a rock?

I thought it opened up as public awareness grew, for good or ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hello just popping in to say that I just recruited Makoto and she owns super hard well bye.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just beat the 5th boss, on hard mode, with 2 minutes and a couple seconds to spare. Fucker kept spamming his big bang attack and it was hard to get any shots in! Was a good boss tho

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Hello just popping in to say that I just recruited Makoto and she owns super hard well bye.
Third palace spoiler for the record and yes she does

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best strategy for raising money in battles? Confusing everything, then extorting them for money? Is it as simple as that?

Rank Sun up so you can extort multiple times per battle or get a large increase in money earned from one extortion, rank up Star so you get bonus money from finishing enemies in before they get a turn when ambushed, and confusing certain Mementos bosses can get you a lot of money.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Ghastly Wail.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Playing through Merciless and the game really destroys your money and exp gains. Having just recruited Yusuke, I've found that he's 3 levels ahead of everyone else and I'm having to confuse most enemies just get decent money from battles. If it wasn't for the fact I was playing a NG+, I have no idea how I could complete a Merciless playthrough and retain my sanity.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
NG+ question: What's the recommended level to fight the new superboss?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jimmydalad posted:

Playing through Merciless and the game really destroys your money and exp gains. Having just recruited Yusuke, I've found that he's 3 levels ahead of everyone else and I'm having to confuse most enemies just get decent money from battles. If it wasn't for the fact I was playing a NG+, I have no idea how I could complete a Merciless playthrough and retain my sanity.

Its designed for NG+

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Jimmy Hats posted:

Just beat the 5th boss, on hard mode, with 2 minutes and a couple seconds to spare. Fucker kept spamming his big bang attack and it was hard to get any shots in! Was a good boss tho

I played on hard mode and my friend played on normal. He beat it the first try with no issue.
I hate this boss so much. So much. Its clock was 100% designed for normal mode.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zore posted:

Its designed for NG+
Yeah I'm pretty sure Merciless is "we're perfectly aware of all the ways this game can be broken. This tries to unbreak it. Prove us wrong" mode.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The Gorp posted:

I played on hard mode and my friend played on normal. He beat it the first try with no issue.
I hate this boss so much. So much. Its clock was 100% designed for normal mode.

I got him on my second try, I actually died the first time to the trash mobs lol

Have you beat him yet? I might have a few pointers for you if you haven't!

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

The 4th palace is good because if you beat it in 2 or 3 days, you get like 22 fuckin days to hang with your friends and chill. Or in my case, work at the flower shop endlessly because you're trying to get rank 4 so you can actually hang out with Futaba...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is it a glitch or does the big bang attack heal characters with the hungry status?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DO IT TO IT posted:

The 4th palace is good because if you beat it in 2 or 3 days, you get like 22 fuckin days to hang with your friends and chill. Or in my case, work at the flower shop endlessly because you're trying to get rank 4 so you can actually hang out with Futaba...
It's kinda silly that Futaba spends almost an entire month napping though

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hunt11 posted:

Is it a glitch or does the big bang attack heal characters with the hungry status?

You gotta want that big burger.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

JT Jag posted:

It's kinda silly that Futaba spends almost an entire month napping though

As someone who spent his highschool teen years never experiencing mornings on the weekends, I can tell you this is entirely believable.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hunt11 posted:

Uhhh that's the intended fight mechanics, the attack hits you with fast food so hungry characters heal from it!!!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hunt11 posted:

wizard on a water slide posted:

Uhhh that's the intended fight mechanics, the attack hits you with fast food so hungry characters heal from it!!!

Haha wow I had no idea this is how it worked, my rear end in a top hat teammates kept auto-healing the hunger status. I just tanked the attack by having DEF up on my party and ATT down on the boss.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Night Blade posted:

"BONAFIED MONAFIED!"
This just became easily ignored white noise after a while, since it has the important advantage of not making my skin crawl.

edit: Like the Mementos music, which I've just realised I cannot remember in the slightest. I just went through the OST and no tracks ring a bell; is it actually on there anywhere?

edit2: Oh, duh, it's the track called "Mementos".

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 14, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Finished the game. Enjoyed it greatly, but I feel like in every dungeon they used its gimmick may be one time too many.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Yeah hunger heals instead but it is super risky to rely on it during the attack because your teammate could easily cure you right before the attack

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is kindness 4 required to start Hermit or go past rank 1? Cause I just started it with Kindness 3.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

merciless is probably aimed at NG+ anyways
it came out like 3 weeks after release in JPN, to further suggest this

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Merciless is literally Hard mode with 3x crit/technical damage (to everyone mind you) and 0.4x exp and money, so yeah, it's designed a NG+ mode.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

At what level would (general Memento spoiler) fighting The Reaper be appropriate?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jimbot posted:

At what level would (general Memento spoiler) fighting The Reaper be appropriate?

Depends on if you want to do it legit or cheese it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Well I'm glad that the consensus is that it is the NG+ mode. I finished the first playthrough on Hard and didn't have too many extremely difficult roadblocks. Merciless has been a really fun challenge at the moment and I've been trying not to buy personas that are higher level than I am for now. I know at so,e point, however. That I'm going to just buy Yoshitsune and spam Charge + Hassou Tobi for great victory.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Man, Futaba just made me feel really bad for Mishima.

Savage loving burn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like that Mishima's confidant ranks up every time you hang out regardless of what you say to him so I can be sarcastic as hell to this nerdy little kid.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Anyway, I finished the game and it was great. My expectations coming in were unreasonably high, yet looking back on the game I feel like it might even have exceeded them.

I was impressed by the way they integrated some of the weirder SMT standards that P3 and P4 shied away from - like negotiations, guns, and (endgame spoiler)a final confrontation with a pretty explicitly Christian God - and that they did so without diluting the aspects of the series that made 3 and 4 so accessible.

I liked that Confidants felt much more integrated into the story than S-Links have in previous games. Rather than simply advancing them for their own little story vignettes and for the off chance that you might fuse something of that arcana someday, you had (mostly) clear reasons why each of these relationships was key to your success in the main story, and they each gave you unique abilities. Some of those abilities even completely break some of the established rules of the series - like "you can only do one or two things a day" - and they feel incredibly powerful as a result, even if the actual mechanical benefit is on the order of one 30SP consumable. If you'd told me before playing this game that Temperance would be the first social link I'd max I'd never have believed you.

Speaking of which, the (non-romance) Temperance rank 10 scene is tied for my favorite moment of the game. Kawakami's writing, cut-in and English VO sell her double-fakeout "does she know or doesn't she" brilliantly - and then when you admit to it in one fluid animation the MC's body language changes completely from attentive and serious to supremely confident and arrogant. It certainly helped that that was the first link I maxed so I didn't yet know the pattern of how rank 10 scenes go, but even so that one scene perhaps crystallised the MC's personality for me more clearly than P4 managed in the entire game.

Of course the other moment in the tie is Makoto (3rd Palace spoiler)(Best Girl)pretending to be deeply engrossed in a months-old manga magazine while she expertly tails the suspicious transfer student. Honorable mentions go to a couple of obvious main plot moments and

All in all, I'm looking forward to whatever might come next. P3 and P4 were great but the characters were never quite engaging enough to make me play all the spin offs. I think P5 might be the one to change that.

edit:

Harrow posted:

I like that Mishima's confidant ranks up every time you hang out regardless of what you say to him so I can be sarcastic as hell to this nerdy little kid.
Social links reversing was a terrible mechanic, but there should so have been a path where Mishima's link reverses and he murders you in cold blood.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 14, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Having just beaten the game I'd like to say

Haha the main character ultimate Personas from P3 and P4 are loving garbage compared to Joker's. Satanael has MAD STYLE

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just hit Akzeriyyuth. :pwn:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Every time it ranks up he's gotten stupider each scene

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Mishima is a good kid and I was very sad that you can't hang out with him outside of rank ups. Like come on I got 9 girlfriends, surely I could've given him some tips, maybe even invoke a change of heart on the enemy of some tail he's been chasing and let him take all the credit so she falls in love with him.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I feel kinda bad for Morgana.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dungeon 5 leadup spoilers: gently caress you Mona you can't steal my SP Adhesive 3 like that

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

Man, Futaba just made me feel really bad for Mishima.

Savage loving burn.

Mishima always seemed familiar to me, but I couldn't figure out why until my friend brought it up: he's Butters.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Someone mentioned earlier that Mona's jp actor is pikachu, well I got a little easter egg for you; If you let a certain boss turn Mona into a mouse you'll hear a little surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I thought i wouldnt like Futaba too much but I gave her a chance and she actually owns.