Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys this is my first persona game ever (despite being aware of the series since the first US one). I really like it, and I'm only a few days into it.

Oh man you're in for a treat.

Anyone else here new to Persona with 5? Because I really want to read some impressions from Persona first-timers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

epenthesis posted:

Oh hey Mishima won't rank past 9 after November. Ever. The game lets you get all the way up there and then he is permanently busy, even if you clear every Mementos request. I found this out after spending another night maxing literally every other character. Including Strength, which is delightful.

Before I load my save from twenty hours or so back, I think I'm going to play MEA for a few days to remind myself that I like this game and I don't actually want to murder anyone involved with its creation.

Complete the 7th dungeon and he'll wanna hang out again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Whatever persona 5. like assassinating a CEO wouldn't cause the phantom thieves popularity to sky rocket

Seriously. If that happened today in the US, they'd be goddamn heroes to a lot of people.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Iunno (post palace 5 spoilers because they didn't give context) mystery men suddenly killing a guy and getting away with it would kinda spook the hell out of me.

Also I think my game is bugged. I watched the credits and I can't find the option to continue playing, there's only NG+. Has anyone else had this problem?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Harrow posted:

Oh man you're in for a treat.

Anyone else here new to Persona with 5? Because I really want to read some impressions from Persona first-timers

So far I'm having a lot of fun but I'm still early on (I think first or second day of school). I'm completely head over heels for the music, and the style is really great. I grabbed a theme and like it so much I might actually switch over from corn love.

I'll post more as I play but I like a lot of everything I've seen.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I appreciate that the way they made the best girl was just 'Chie was bad let's put in her complete opposite'. Even down to attacking by punching instead of kicking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys this is my first persona game ever (despite being aware of the series since the first US one). I really like it, and I'm only a few days into it.
the first us one is also the first one period

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you fight the secret boss in this game anyway? I know it's NG+ as usual but do I have to do the entire game again to get to it?

Does it open with a nuke like some of the other fights?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Saint Freak posted:

I appreciate that the way they made the best girl was just 'Chie was bad let's put in her complete opposite'. Even down to attacking by punching instead of kicking.

Chie was better than any of the characters in this game bar Sojiro though!

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do you fight the secret boss in this game anyway?

It's at the Entryway of Mementos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do you fight the secret boss in this game anyway? I know it's NG+ as usual but do I have to do the entire game again to get to it?

Does it open with a nuke like some of the other fights?
it doesn't open with a nuke, it doesn't really function like the elizabeth/margeret fights. they just have a wide array of spells and the ability to keep ball rolling with hitting weaknesses, it isn't really a gimmick fight and you don't do it solo.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Complete the 7th dungeon and he'll wanna hang out again.

If you're right about that (and the people I read on GF are wrong), you just saved me another trip through palace 6, a month of rank events and a ton of redone fusions. My sincere thanks are not enough, but sexual favors are impractical to offer so they will have to do.

There's no time skip this time after you finish that dungeon, right? You get the whole rest of the month to wrap things up?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Haru's s.link: Let's force feed Morgana coffee beans so he shits them out and produces a distinct flavor for coffee :stare:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Lakbay posted:

Haru's s.link: Let's force feed Morgana coffee beans so he shits them out and produces a distinct flavor for coffee :stare:

It's an actual thing. Naturally, only people with way too much money do it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
That scene had some real good dialog choices but I had to pick the boring ones for max confidant points

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakbay posted:

That scene had some real good dialog choices but I had to pick the boring ones for max confidant points

Haru actually responds really well IIRC to taking the cool joking choices. She takes a joke a lot better than Makoto or Ann do, even in a highly emotional situation, because she relentlessly sees the best in people and doesn't see much point in dwelling on suffering.

Haru's cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two things:

1. This would've been a great game to bring back Philemon in full. Dude's associated with masks. It seems like an obvious choice. In general I kinda wish they hadn't just conflated Philemon's and Igor's roles in Persona 3 and after. Like I know Philemon is the blue butterfly you see occasionally in 3, 4, and 5, but I want him to show up as a character and do spirit guide stuff.

2. This also would've been a great game to bring back the idea of Personas as masks you wear, the different faces you show the world to protect yourself from hardship, rather than "the true self." That's sort of how Joker uses them--they're explicitly referred to as "masks" for him, after all--but for everyone else, their Persona represents who they really are, rather than a face they show to the world. I know it's been that way since 3 but I always sort of liked the exploration of the different identities people have to slip in and out of to get through their lives. Of course that would probably mean bringing back Persona switching for everyone and not just the MC and I don't really foresee that returning, so that's OK.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

never bring back philemon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What's a Philemon?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah instead bring back Igor's Band

Persona 6 : how Igor got his groove back

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Igor did have a sweet band.

I actually would've liked to see Persona-switching for everyone come back but I understand why that's probably never going to happen. If nothing else it adds a lot more overhead to your preparation, Persona fusion, loving around in menus, and all of that, so it probably would've just been a pain in the rear end for everyone but turbonerds like me :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm starting to see why everybody hates Moon now

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Haru actually responds really well IIRC to taking the cool joking choices. She takes a joke a lot better than Makoto or Ann do, even in a highly emotional situation, because she relentlessly sees the best in people and doesn't see much point in dwelling on suffering.

Haru's cool.

I needed to make sure I got max points though :(

Can't wait for Persona Q 2 where Yusuke's art and Haru's gardening are their only personality traits and played up to an obnoxious level

Harrow posted:

I actually would've liked to see Persona-switching for everyone come back but I understand why that's probably never going to happen. If nothing else it adds a lot more overhead to your preparation, Persona fusion, loving around in menus, and all of that, so it probably would've just been a pain in the rear end for everyone but turbonerds like me :v:

I really wish they kept the sub-persona system from Q

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 14, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Haru has a wonderfully messed up sense of humour. It was honestly kind of a relief to have a link at the end of the game where you could just relax, pick the silly options, and still become closer.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I'm starting to see why everybody hates Moon now
I don't particularly like Mishima as a person but the plot of that link ended up being a lot better than I expected. There was a great sinking feeling, around the time he buys the gun, of "Holy poo poo, this guy is seriously messed up and I don't really know what I can do about it."

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I checked out training in my room and it says it boosts my hp. Is this all it does? Can I safely ignore it and focus on slinks instead or is there a hidden benefit like guts or something?

Also raising guts in the early game is really hard. I can't find a good source for it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Also raising guts in the early game is really hard. I can't find a good source for it.

Look for books and movies that boost it. Also, do the big burger challenge when you have a free night; even when you fail you get two notes worth of Guts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I checked out training in my room and it says it boosts my hp. Is this all it does? Can I safely ignore it and focus on slinks instead or is there a hidden benefit like guts or something?

Its rare, but a rainy night at the Bathhouse has a chance of raising Guts instead of Charm.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just finished it. What a good ending, what good friends, what a good video game.

Head-shotting a God is a pretty sweet end to a final boss, and Phantom Thief Road Trip is a perfect end to the game. I don't think I particularly liked the final dungeon much though, but everything after finding the holy grail and getting sentenced for execution was great. I thought I had been spoiled on everything but Morgana being basically a resident of the Velvet Room was something I was not expecting. It was a cool twist since from the start I thought I had him figured out as a shadow created from some positive form of collective conscience.

Only real problem with the ending was that Lavensa does not look like she would use a Chainsaw. :(

I'm already thinking about how much i'm going to miss it. Seriously, what a ride!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

Look for books and movies that boost it. Also, do the big burger challenge when you have a free night; even when you fail you get two notes worth of Guts.

Oh nice. I'll check the burger thing out next time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Something witty.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think my only real complaint about this game is the restricted time I don't mind if it's because I went to a dungeon on it's the eve of a major event but come on. Where I'm at now it feels like I've been going 2 weeks without being able to do any of the poo poo I want to

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So here's a theory I have about why Haru is the worst character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux9MoJHhczc&t=64s

See that chick to the left of Futaba? That's Haru.

I found that shocking because the character doesn't look or appear to be acting like Haru at all. She's...
1. In a seat with her legs up instead of maintaining proper posture
2. Has a glazed look in her eyes that expresses indifference or apathy
3. She's eating sugary snacks

It's likely her original character was something of a princess, a spoiled brat of a character who went through a character arc to not be a selfish person. At some point in development all of these traits were moved on to Futaba, who calls Sojiro by his first name and has all of the other characteristics. Realizing they had two characters that behaved similarly, they decided to rework Haru into a different type of character altogether.

The problem is they dropped the ball and didn't think of anything to give her. She's just a milquetoast gardener who talks with a soft voice because they took away elements of her character without replacing them with anything substantial.
Haru was made worst girl, and that's a darn shame.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

NRVNQSR posted:

I don't particularly like Mishima as a person but the plot of that link ended up being a lot better than I expected. There was a great sinking feeling, around the time he buys the gun, of "Holy poo poo, this guy is seriously messed up and I don't really know what I can do about it."

I like the fact that (Moon and palace 6 spoilers) you resolve it by confronting his shadow without actually taking his heart. Kind of like what happens with Sae, except with a sad sort of "he's hit rock bottom and we're just going to leave him here to work it out on his own" quality. 'Course, I need to actually see it finish to be sure he doesn't gently caress things up again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember more of haru than ann by the end of the game. She wants to be sojiros apprentice, and fits more into the cafe lifestyle which are my favorite moments.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
12/10 They're all good girls Grop

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yusuke is still the best girl though.

[x]

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kurtofan posted:

Something witty.

I knew you were going to say that!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Haru's maybe the worst girl if only because she's severely handicapped in that race by only being in the game for the final 15% at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Why do you get two Master Curry's when you make it, but only one Master Coffee. That seems dumb.

Anyway, All links maxed get!

This is actually rather lenient. I mean, I got it on the last day, but that's only because the person wasn't available the second to last day.