Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I would read the "Mystery Seeds: The Kudzuing" thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
Is it even legal to buy seeds like that and not at least declare them?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Woden posted:

Is it even legal to buy seeds like that and not at least declare them?

Yeah, I think you have to have a special permit to import soil or live plants with soil.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

whoa get a load of the narc over there

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I just got a shipment from AE, and my mailman comments that I should get a larger mailbox because he's noticed I get a lot of packages. I'm sure that's normal.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

ravenkult posted:

whoa get a load of the narc over there

Lol I have several relatives that work in forestry and I have to hear about Asian invasive plants, animals and etc constantly so I will gladly narc you all out for a hearty chuckle jk I won't actually narc you out but please be careful with your unlawful plant haul

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol I have several relatives that work in forestry and I have to hear about Asian invasive plants, animals and etc constantly so I will gladly narc you all out for a hearty chuckle jk I won't actually narc you out but please be careful with your unlawful plant haul

I'm growing everything in containers rather than out in the garden soil. Thanks for the reminder though!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm growing everything in containers rather than out in the garden soil. Thanks for the reminder though!

Everyone here seems to be willing to not be eaten by the plant from Little Shop of horrors, so I am glad of that lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WrenP-Complete posted:

Same :toot:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I have no want for tiny maracas, but I have a compulsion to buy a dozen mini wooden sand hammers.

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

One of these things is not like the others, One of these things doesn't belong.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's all food tho?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lookin at hockey stuff and this came up in the suggested.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pet...2656224473.html

If i had a cat, i would totally dress him up as chairman meow.

This fella ain't appreciating the sexy nurse outfit though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ZombieJesus posted:

Seems to be a lot of people itt buying these sorts of stickers... Why? What do you all use them for?

Mainly you stick them on things.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

angerbeet posted:

I imagine Americans have either the most vanilla sex experiences possible or full on BDSM furry vore

Eh, pretty much.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

ZombieJesus posted:

Seems to be a lot of people itt buying these sorts of stickers... Why? What do you all use them for?

My desk had a hole in it and I decided to stick a bunch of garbage on it.

The shittier stickers I stick to the elevator in my building but someone gets really mad and rips them off daily.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SHIPPING & LOGISTICS CHAT

I have placed an embarrassing volume of orders since realizing that I can in fact buy cheap poo poo in my state, and I've had stuff shipped several different ways. I'm interested to hear some of your experiences with different shipping methods.

Observations:

- ePacket is generally the fastest way to receive stuff, as has been mentioned. That said, it seems like ePackets are the only shipping method in which I sometimes get a tracking number that never updates, but the item shows up at my door in 10-14 days anyway. It is puzzling and a little frustrating: you'd think that the fastest shipping method would have the best tracking, but this hasn't been my experience.

- China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus is a wild loving crapshoot. I have had things arrive as fast as ePackets, and some are stuck seemingly perpetually on the "Received by line-haul" step like a few open orders I have right now. I have absolutely no idea what affects this. "Security check success" means that it has left China, and I assume that "Received by line-haul" means that it's sitting in a truck or warehouse somewhere and someday they might get around to putting it on a plane.

- China Post Registered Air Mail seems to be a lot like CPOSPP, except for larger items. I haven't had any of those stall out at line-haul though.

- Yanwen Economic Air Mail is reliable tracking up to the point when it leaves the country, then it's guesswork. I don't think that I have ever had an order stall out with it, though.

- Singapore Post is a good option and the tracking updates reliably.

- SunYou Economic Air Mail is slow, but the tracking updates are frequent and numerous.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

...I've had stuff sit in China for months and months, then suddenly move for no apparent reason. Half the time, tracking doesn't update after leaving China anyway (although that's gotten much better in the last year, may not be that frequent now)...

yeah i got a cross brooch on the 60th day after not getting any response for a couple weeks and getting a refund

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I got some totally legit nes games that got here the other day. they even have the nintendo seal of quality on them!

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I got my $35 fpga board. I've already figured out what to do with it but In retrospect I would not suggest buying it if you want to learn how fpgas work. There's a whole lot of features for the money though. I recommend it but not for newbies

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So what are safe ways to pay on aliexpress? Does PayPal work? We don't ha e prepaid credit cards in Germany afaik and I am not using my normal ones for an order of some dodgy Chinese stuff from questionable sellers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hopper posted:

So what are safe ways to pay on aliexpress? Does PayPal work? We don't ha e prepaid credit cards in Germany afaik and I am not using my normal ones for an order of some dodgy Chinese stuff from questionable sellers.

Transactions are routed through AliPay, not to sellers directly. AliPay is the biggest financial transaction-eer in the world.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Bought a 1%er ring and some other various biker stylized rings, time to ride my bicycle looking menacingly.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I jumped the gun and ordered seeds but then realized it was a mistake to do that so I canceled my order so now it says order complete and I'm out $2.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Over There posted:

I jumped the gun and ordered seeds but then realized it was a mistake to do that so I canceled my order so now it says order complete and I'm out $2.

Mine have been coming up as specified, they're all correct so far :shrug:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Hopper posted:

If fear holds you back just open another bank acc for buying online poo poo, I did since forever and just put 100 bucks in now and then so if internet bandits steal my dollarydoos I'll only lose like 100 at most not my loving life savings

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Ceive posted:

Impulse sale purchases started showing up this week!

gently caress I saw those Meseeks but figured they'd smell of weird chemicals. Do they? My kid loves Meseeks. And I love my kid, so I dont want to get him a doll made of poison.

ZombieJesus posted:

- Gifts
- Cheap decoration (mainly on computers, from what I can tell)
- Covering holes
- Vandalism
- Resale

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

SHIPPING & LOGISTICS CHAT

I have placed an embarrassing volume of orders since realizing that I can in fact buy cheap poo poo in my state, and I've had stuff shipped several different ways. I'm interested to hear some of your experiences with different shipping methods.

Observations:

- ePacket is generally the fastest way to receive stuff, as has been mentioned. That said, it seems like ePackets are the only shipping method in which I sometimes get a tracking number that never updates, but the item shows up at my door in 10-14 days anyway. It is puzzling and a little frustrating: you'd think that the fastest shipping method would have the best tracking, but this hasn't been my experience.

- China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus is a wild loving crapshoot. I have had things arrive as fast as ePackets, and some are stuck seemingly perpetually on the "Received by line-haul" step like a few open orders I have right now. I have absolutely no idea what affects this. "Security check success" means that it has left China, and I assume that "Received by line-haul" means that it's sitting in a truck or warehouse somewhere and someday they might get around to putting it on a plane.

- China Post Registered Air Mail seems to be a lot like CPOSPP, except for larger items. I haven't had any of those stall out at line-haul though.

- Yanwen Economic Air Mail is reliable tracking up to the point when it leaves the country, then it's guesswork. I don't think that I have ever had an order stall out with it, though.

- Singapore Post is a good option and the tracking updates reliably.

- SunYou Economic Air Mail is slow, but the tracking updates are frequent and numerous.

I can't remember which of all the cheapest/free options I've tried, but I've had issues with every single method, including ePacket. I feel I can never be sure if I will get any tracking beyond "it's been shipped" (unless I've bought from the seller before and know what will happen), so I personally would rather have the thing show up in 10-14 days, regardless of tracking, than have it show up in a month or two. I've had issues with "no updates once it leaves the country" with everything but ePacket, too.

Now, I buy small poo poo where the ePacket cost is all of USD 1.92 or whatever. The few heavier things I've bought (boots, leggings) I bought via Wish, which doesn't give you shipping options. I'd be more willing to risk CPOSPP/CPRAM if it saved me ten or twelve bucks.

Hopper posted:

AliPay has a good reputation that they dont want to lose, you'll be fine. On the off chance someone does get your info, can't you just shut the card down? That's what we do in the US when some rear end in a top hat in California starts trying to buy electronics with a CC, or removing money from an ATM with a debit card.

I started using the gift cards to limit my spending. And since I have better impulse control, I haven't been using the gift cards lately. No issues.

Google says Germany does have prepaid cards, but doesn't get into it much. It does say most people get them from their bank, so maybe you just need to stop by your bank, explain what you're doing if you want to, and have them stick 50 DM or euros or whatever from you main account onto a card?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can get prepaid cards at (some) gas stations in Germany. I bought one and put 20EUR on one for my parents to use as they don't have a real one to order poo poo with off the internet. There are some limitations, I think you can't use it with Uber for example, but works fine with ebay.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pick posted:

Mine have been coming up as specified, they're all correct so far :shrug:

What did you end up ordering seed wise? I'm very interested.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chinese mystery seed thread would be cool and good.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

You can get prepaid cards at (some) gas stations in Germany. I bought one and put 20EUR on one for my parents to use as they don't have a real one to order poo poo with off the internet. There are some limitations, I think you can't use it with Uber for example, but works fine with ebay.

You can also get a free prepaid Visa with most banks, usually you are paying for it through your normal banking fees already. I had one when I was a teen for buying MMO subscriptions

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

subpar anachronism posted:

Me too. There's a large variety of stuff on there and I'm interested to see how well the germination rate is and if it actually looks even remotely close to the pictures.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

subpar anachronism posted:

Peas, cucumber, tomato, basil, chilis, catnip.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Chinese mystery seed thread would be cool and good.

oh and one mystery peanut

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

gently caress I saw those Meseeks but figured they'd smell of weird chemicals. Do they? My kid loves Meseeks. And I love my kid, so I dont want to get him a doll made of poison.

Smells fine. I think it's the actual product. It has official tags and everything. I am guessing they just have crates of Meeseeks sitting around.

For goons that are scared to give them credit/debit details, I've ordered tons of things from Aliexpress over the years and never had anything bad happen. Sometimes things take 6 weeks longer to arrive and sometimes pieces are missing, but I've not had a seller try to scam me yet or not send the items. eBay on the other hand is hella sketchy, and I won't order anything from China unless the eBay seller has 1k+ ratings and plenty of recent positive ratings.

Ceive fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 15, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao I ordered some pocket card tools and they arrived yesterday. The package had been opened by customs for inspection because the seller helpfully labelled them as a shipment of pocket knives

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
Just finished up another huge order, this time as influenced by goons. I'm real jazzed about the cheap GBA housing.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Those leggings will not be holographic

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I know this from experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno about leggins but I definitely need some knockoff GB games. I still have my original one around, but the games as well as GB Color are missing somewhere.